General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

trackers?

Search this Thread

Old 14-02-2009, 08:09 AM
mattbibs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trackers?

just doing some research and there seems to be a lot of products out there!

anyone who has/had one can you recommend any particular product? whats the essential spec and whats useless? any feedback appreciated!
Old 14-02-2009, 08:22 AM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i was going to ask this so ill be watching this thread
Old 14-02-2009, 08:25 AM
Dave Henshall
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the original ' tracker' has a few levels - from the basic radio only - then the radio with motion sensor, then the full one with gps and radio. when my last one was fitted - the installer said you need to be carefull of the gps or gprs ones only as - once they are put in a container you loose the signal - hence why the top of the range tracker still has the backup of the old radio signal - as used in the police cars.
Old 14-02-2009, 08:43 AM
mattbibs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

seems to be a big difference in price and the lower spec prices inc subscriptions for the lifetime of the product. is radio only @ £680 a good investment or can containers cancel the signals? there is a horizon model with radio & GPS at £780, is that worth the extra cash?

then there is a top model with the bells on. at £1070 it looks ok but the renewals fees every year has got to be a kick in the balls!
Old 14-02-2009, 10:32 AM
n13los
PassionFord Regular

Dont bother, got horizon on my car.
Probably a good system but tracker dont know what they doing, i was disconectted for 6 months without knowing as they forgot to take my subscription payment.
Then when my car was in ford for work last year it was pushed in and out of the workshop many times without the keys and the battery was on & off several times. Not even one trigger of the system.

My advice, get gap insurance instead.
Old 14-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Rolls
PassionFord Post Troll

Gap insurance? What's that chap?
Old 14-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Dave Henshall
PassionFord Post Whore!!

gap insurance is a insurance that will pay out on the difference of teh value that the main insurer values the car at versus what the car would cost to replace.

i dont really see the context in this thread tbh - as if your insurer says you have to have a tracker - yu haev to have one - otherwise you are not covered for theft! never mind any gap insurnace!!

Trending Topics

Old 14-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

my car has 2 trackers fitted to it pmsl, im suprised nobody has MADE a gps tracker unit for there own monitoring use, or even a mobile phone based alert system that auto dials your mobile should the alarm go off

i would personall prefer both of them over my "it must have a tracker fitted" insurance requirement

who does the van trackers for companys ???
Old 14-02-2009, 01:44 PM
ECOS95
Advanced PassionFord User

As said Tracker themselves are shit, its a piss poor service for the £125.00 yearly fee. I'm not surprised that people have found themselves disconnected as I've had to chase them every year (had the car for 7yrs) @ renewal time & never once received a letter even leaving it to the day my membership ran out.

You can ask them to run a test on your tracker if your concerned that its not working. Or do as someone has mentioned & just push you car 10m or so with the ignition off (providing you have the monitor version) to see if they call you.

Its a good system when you know it works but Tracker themselves don't help matters.

If you do want one go to these guys.
http://www.motorguarduk.co.uk/
Old 14-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

you cant ask tracker if it works, you have to pay a engineer to "test" the system incast of faults at 70 quid call out
Old 14-02-2009, 01:50 PM
ECOS95

Originally Posted by Ginge !
you cant ask tracker if it works, you have to pay a engineer to "test" the system incast of faults at 70 quid call out
Yes you can, I did. They can run a health check on it remotley. The eng will come out if they can't connect to it or they find a fault.
Old 14-02-2009, 01:55 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

when i had to pay for mine as it came with the car they wanted to charge me 70 quid for a "health check"

i never bothered as i assumed that if they couldnt connect they would have told me

they aint ever called me when my battery has been dead though like people claim happens
Old 14-02-2009, 02:07 PM
ECOS95

when i had to pay for mine as it came with the car they wanted to charge me 70 quid for a "health check"

i never bothered as i assumed that if they couldnt connect they would have told me

they aint ever called me when my battery has been dead though like people claim happens
I had to pay the transfer fee when I bought my car, it use to be £50.00 & should include an engineer check over as well as you giving them your details.

I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. They don't tell you that you need to replace the Battery backup battery every 3 to 5yrs.

I only found out mine was knackered when I asked them to check it over the phone & they said it needed to be replaced. Hate to think what the Insurance would say if the car got nicked, blame me for not knowing I expect.

My advice is get them to check it or test it yourself.
Old 14-02-2009, 02:08 PM
mattbibs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

thanks ecos95 thats a good link. did you buy from there? i guess subscription is in the region of £150 a year after that?

now its a case of seeing how much the customer will save per year from the insurance.
Old 14-02-2009, 02:13 PM
ECOS95

Originally Posted by mattbibs
thanks ecos95 thats a good link. did you buy from there? i guess subscription is in the region of £150 a year after that?

now its a case of seeing how much the customer will save per year from the insurance.
The Tracker was on the car when I bought it but I go to Motorguard for all car security stuff. They do a good job & the price is spot on, wish they were closer to be honest.

I pay £125 memebrship but you can do the one off fee if you know your going to keep the car.
Old 14-02-2009, 02:19 PM
n13los
PassionFord Regular

insurance discounts are at best 15% but that is with the lesser known companies that are normally quite expensive to start with. the mainstream companies dont usually give any discount but as said above may require you have one to get insurance with them.

the insurance company i'm with doesn't offer any discounts for it nor do they require that i have one fitted and they are £400 a year cheaper on my premium than any other company so not sure why i got the tracker, when i got the car it sort of stood out where i lived and i was scared of it getting nicked. luckily i had a good deal on it as i used to work for a tracker agent.
Old 15-02-2009, 06:27 PM
Rs Baz
PassionFord Post Whore!!

even a mobile phone based alert system that auto dials your mobile should the alarm go off
there is one ginge that does this im going to have it fitted on my car, it isnt expansive and the tex it sends to you is only a price of a tex itself...

its not expensive either think its only £350 fitted
Old 15-02-2009, 07:50 PM
brad
PassionFord Post Troll

Clifford alarms have a text based alert system
Cobra security also have one called track Q
hth