General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Hotmail blocked attachment....

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hotmail blocked attachment....

I've received an email from someone with a .exe. file on it. It's not a virus, but Hotmail has blocked it giving me no apparent option to unblock it.

Any idea's anyone?

I have asked the guy to resend it, but to be honest I was lucky he sent it in the first place, so I very much doubt he will send it again.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:04 PM
FletchCossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hotmail wouldn't let me send/receive files unless is was virus scanned first. Try selecting Messenger or Hotmail to use your Virus scanner and you should be ok??
Old 08-02-2009, 07:09 PM
FletchCossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Im only guessing. I kept getting an error message when trying to send music, etc from my Laptop to my PC, so I had to upgrade the details in Messenger so it used Avast Antivirus to scan the documents and all was fine

Christian, if you want to send me the file I will send it to you in the post on a disk
Old 08-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by FletchCossie
Im only guessing. I kept getting an error message when trying to send music, etc from my Laptop to my PC, so I had to upgrade the details in Messenger so it used Avast Antivirus to scan the documents and all was fine

Christian, if you want to send me the file I will send it to you in the post on a disk
Read my original post and see if you can spot the flaw in your plan......

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
I've received an email from someone with a .exe. file on it. It's not a virus, but Hotmail has blocked it giving me no apparent option to unblock it.

Any idea's anyone?

I have asked the guy to resend it, but to be honest I was lucky he sent it in the first place, so I very much doubt he will send it again.

Clue - RECEIVED.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

As said previously, try forwarding it somewhere else.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

It won't let you forward the blocked file.

It's a fucking pain in the ass, why does Hotmail make the decision? I want to decide what I use!! This is the first real problem I've had with Hotmail in almost 10 years of usage.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:45 PM
S1

If you can get him to resend it, ask him to change the filename extension to something like .dot or .txt. When you receive it just change it back to .exe, assuming you know the perswon and the file they are sending.

Are you still at APT Christian, I will be needing some assistance with my Focus RS again soon?

Last edited by S1; 08-02-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

changin the extension can often curropt the file. Better to stick it in a RAR or ZIP file and send it that way.

I know this doesn't help you now Christian, but thought it maybe useful if you can get the guy to send it again....
Old 08-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

I've asked him to send it to another (non Hotmail) account, but that was this morning and he is usually quick to reply, so I'm guessing he has had enough of giving me free help! I can understand that.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:43 PM
haz87
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 177 Likes on 167 Posts

Run hotmail via Outlook Express! No limits/restrictions then other than your own Antivirus
Old 08-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thrush
changin the extension can often curropt the file. Better to stick it in a RAR or ZIP file and send it that way.
I am no IT expert, however have been using PC's since 285 model 50 z IBMs on dos 3.1 I am not convinced that changing a file extension corrupts it. In fact I think that is totally un-true. Happy to be proven otherwise

RW
Old 08-02-2009, 09:43 PM
FletchCossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
Read my original post and see if you can spot the flaw in your plan......

Clue - RECEIVED.
Give it a try and see what happens Anythings worth a try if it gets you the file You may not know its a virus, but does your hotmail?

Post up a screen shot of what it shows you to give us a better idea
Old 08-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Lee_R21Turbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Steven_RW
I am no IT expert, however have been using PC's since 285 model 50 z IBMs on dos 3.1 I am not convinced that changing a file extension corrupts it. In fact I think that is totally un-true. Happy to be proven otherwise

RW
Dont you mean 286 models Steve??

Oh & changing a file extension can indeed sometimes corrupt it, experienced it myself - best thing to do is ZIP the file then send it.

Bear in mind that some later versions of Outlook will also block the EXE file too because of security risks!!

Old 08-02-2009, 09:53 PM
FletchCossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Right, just tried EMailing one Hotmail account to another with an .EXE file attached. An error saying "For safety for yourself and others you can't attach a file of this extension", so obviously Hotmail does not support .EXE file sharing (Atleast we know its not a setting you can change ).
Old 09-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven_RW

RW
Okay, save a .jpg to your desktop. Then change the file extension to .png - then try and open it in a graphics editing program such as PhotoShop or Paint Shop Pro. See if it lets you - cos it has NEVER let me.

Same with video files, music files, documents, and from what I remember (not done it for AGES) executable files also......

Plus, read I did say "CAN" corrupt it, not a gospel "WILL" corrupt it.....
Old 09-02-2009, 06:53 PM
S1

Originally Posted by Thrush
Okay, save a .jpg to your desktop. Then change the file extension to .png - then try and open it in a graphics editing program such as PhotoShop or Paint Shop Pro. See if it lets you - cos it has NEVER let me.

Same with video files, music files, documents, and from what I remember (not done it for AGES) executable files also......

Plus, read I did say "CAN" corrupt it, not a gospel "WILL" corrupt it.....
You have to change it back to the correct extension when you get it, you cant just change from .jpg to .png and expect it to open, of course it wont.