General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Help needed on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 04:56 PM
captiva
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed on Ebay

I have never sold anything on Ebay so need to pick your brains on the do's and don'ts as I want to sell my Cossie. Any sensible advice would be appreciated, thank you.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:58 PM
BANNED
BANNED

lots of pics, decent honest description, the more effort you make the more money it will make and a easier sale
Old 02-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

Be prepared for stupid questions and ridiculous offers.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:19 PM
900ss
RWD Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by captiva
I want to sell my Cossie.

Dont offer postage to overseas bidders
Old 02-02-2009, 06:54 PM
captiva
PassionFord Regular

Thanks so far guys, as far as the fees Ebay charge, are there different packages, would I use PayPal when its a car for sale. Any other thoughts?
Old 02-02-2009, 07:02 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Make sure you have a reserve set on it.

Take Very clear and detailed shots of the car, when it is cleaner than the bible and polished to the nines - a dirty car wont get anyone excited.

Keep the description short, clear and factual so give the reader/buyer all the info but without pages of waffle.

Make sure you get cash on collection of the car - use paypal for a deposit at most. DO NOT RELEASE THE CAR UNTIL CHEQUES ARE CLEAR if banker draft or cheque and ask to see id - most peole have a driver licence on them, make a note of the address and see if the seller asks for the same address on the log book when you fill it in - if not, why not?

If cash, check it is real, and make sure you have a friend or two in the house when a buyer turns up.

ALSO Do not give out you full address to anyone, give them a postcode to get them to the area and then ask them to call you when close by. This prevents people getting your address, not showing, then to turn up and nick it a few days later.

I would personally try pistonheads first as it is free, or pay 20 quid and stick it on here.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea you can use paypal if u wanted too mate but you will probably find most ppl with something like that will be cash on collection! You can have more that one payment option anyways. You'll get charged as a seller if i remember correctly aswell if someone were to pay by paypal. The thing you will get stung on by ebay if if you set a reserve as they take a percentage which is why you see alot of people not bother and just cancel it at the end if their not happy with the price it makes or get someone they know to put a ridiculous bid on to make sure no1 else wins it. Before anyone moans thats the way most ppl do it and you know it

Trending Topics

Old 02-02-2009, 07:10 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

do you know what its worth ???
if so why not a classified ad, in the uk its cheeper and lasts for a month.
people can see what you want and you can alter the ad anytime its listed so reducing the price or additional info is easy to do.

you stil get nob shiners but thats ebay.
by doing what i mentioned you almost avoid the people with no clue who value your car at nowhere near its true value if its doing 800 dollars for example and hope to nick it off you because they think you have no clue either