General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

What guitar?

Search this Thread

Old 30-01-2009, 07:18 PM
shane
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What guitar?

Im after a new guitar, im just moving out of beginner status and would like to upgrade. Thinkin of a epiphone or sumats, what would you guys recommend?

Regards Shane.
Old 30-01-2009, 08:32 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Depends what style of music you like but if you what an Epiphone what about a Les paul custom in either black or Alpine white? Could always change the pickups to Seymours etc later on. Best going into your local shop really and trying them out for sound and feel then order one cheaper off the web.

Old 30-01-2009, 09:12 PM
slydawg65
Part of the Furniture

if you are digital minded i would go for a line6 Variax. they are amazing guitars. i know the "purist" guitar players will prob slate them but i have a 700 series and its the dogs danglies. 25 true tones in one very well built guitar. there are 3 different series but they all have the same circuits so the sounds arre the same. just flick it to a 57 les paul custom then flick again and you have a 12 string gibson semi acoustic. i have a JS1000 and a JS2000, 2 excellent guitars aswell but a bit pricey. i seen this one the other day and i might have to sell one of my kids to buy one...Ibanez E-Gen..

http://img.2dehands.nl/f/view/28033533.jpg
Old 30-01-2009, 10:16 PM
haighlsby
PassionFord Regular

Yamaha Pacificas are good

But Ibanez are the best I have ever played, get an RG
Old 30-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Escow-Van
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Depends on your $
Unfortunately you've just missed out on American guitars being the cheapest they ever have been... an American strat was near 200 quid cheaper 6 months ago than when i got mine in 2005.
Also depends what you play hard to suggest otherwise.

One main thing though, don't rule out second hand - you get a hell of a lot more for your money!
Old 30-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the styling of the Epiphone replica Les Paul really nice to play too imo.

I also loved the feel of a friends Tanglewood acoustic, that was lovely to play and was only around Ł250 quid.

Another mate who gigs a lot had a fancy Gretch guitar which was fantastic to play but very delicate, but a bit expensive as a step up from starter guitar.

As already said though, you're best off going in to a music shop and trying them all, see what actually feels/sounds good to you.
Old 31-01-2009, 12:10 AM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Escow-Van
Depends on your $
I live in Nottinghamshire and we don't deal with dollars mate its Ł in all of England funnily enough.

One main thing though, don't rule out second hand - you get a hell of a lot more for your money!
Agreed some nicely worn in guitars about in good condition.

Trending Topics

Old 31-01-2009, 12:22 AM
Elvis
Hunka Hunka Burning Love

If your looking for an accoustic, Go for an Epiphone EJ-200,
I have one and a Gibson J200, and i was really suprised by the sound from the epiphone, and infact like it more than the gibson.

http://www.dv247.com/invt/37240/ Great value in my opinion.

I just ordered the Elvis Presley signature eddition last week. http://www.dv247.com/invt/57608/
Old 31-01-2009, 01:20 AM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skeg
Best going into your local shop really and trying them out for sound and feel then order one cheaper off the web.
Thats a cnuts trick, if you have taken up time at your local shop you should have the decency to buy the guitar from them, rather than try and save a few quid by buying online.

Otherwise when you come to buy your next one the shop wont be there.

Forget makes etc, buy what feels comfortable in your hands, inevitably it will no doubt be one of the more expensive makes, but dont assume something by Gibson or Gretsch or Fender is going to be right for you.

I'd always loved the sound and look of a Les Paul, but when I played the genuine article for the first time I didnt get on with it at all, and in the end bought a Gibson Explorer which is the nicest guitar I've had and I've had a few over the years.
Old 31-01-2009, 07:08 AM
notroubleclubber
Back In The RS Game!

Id agree with goin to try them out at the shop but dont get one off net, get it from shop. They can set it all up for you and u can try it with a similar amp that u already have. Dont stick with the big names, try them all. My cousin had a PRS custom built for him and when we jammed togther i played his and he played my cheap squier strat. My start was setup at the shop and he said its nearly on a par with his Ł2k PRS.
Old 31-01-2009, 11:54 AM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

deffo try n try again before u buy.......i've had a cheap fender copy for years and i recently got a epi les paul and although i like the look n sound of it the cheap strat copy plays/feels much better....(must remember to get it out n string it up)
Old 31-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Pete frst

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get yourself a gibson flying v pal,proper geeetar.........
Old 31-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Pardeep
PF's Guitar God!!!

Get a ESP.

Depends on how much you have to spend.

Rockers in Denmark Street have a Limited Edition ESP M-II X3. These were made in around 1999 and only a couple thousand built. The colour is multi tone and comes with a Floyd Rose, Humbucker, Coil, Coil. All pick ups are Seymour Duncans and Maple Neck. I think the price was near enough Ł800.

Check it out!!!
Old 31-01-2009, 06:31 PM
shane

Got a les paul at the moment. Had a yamaha before and it was a real nice guitar, so was considering going back to it as it seemed easier to play than my les paul.

I think i may try and get a deal on a guitar and amp as i think my amp about knackered and is not making the best of the guitar, if you know what i mean.
Old 31-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Third for buying a guitar from a shop, and not off the net. Having worked in guitar shops I know how annoying it is when someone takes up your time and then buys elsewhere. Secondly, you will get much better aftersales care from the shop you bought it from than "off the net"

As for what guitar, two things to bear in mind. One is what you want from it - if you want to play loads of twiddly twiddly solo's and dive-bomb notes and make high-pitched squeals, then a les Paul with a fixed bridge isn't gonna work for you, whereas an Ibanez or ESP, Jackson set with a floating bridge is a better choice.

Secondly, you need to feel comfortable with the guitar. There are two (basic) types of guitarist : the Les Paul player and the Strat player. Me, I don't like Les Pauls - which is a shame cos I really want one, but having had one for a bit, I realised I don't like the feel or weight of it. Strange as I really like my Explorer (also somewhat neck heavy like the LP) Strat's have a different weight balance and Strat style guitars (super strats like ESP, Jackson, Ibanez etc included) tend to have tapered body's that many find more comfortable. So bear this in mind too.

As for sound, obviously the guitar does play a part, but as for pickups, these can be changed relatively easily later on. My Explorer will, at some point, have it's stock Duncan Designed p'ups replaced with EMG's to fatten up the sound, and likewise, an Epiphone LP can have EMG's or SD's fitted to spruce it up a bit. Strats's and the like can easily have the single coils replaced with hotrails, and if it's a Pacifica model with the humber in the bridge, these can be even be changed for "motherbuckers" (2x hotrails) - my friend had a Mexican Strat which he changed the neck and middle pick ups with active Hotrails, and put an active MotherBucker in the bridge and then rewired the 5 way selector and that thing really SCREAMED. We later ripped out the nect p'up and put in a sustainer and routed it for a Floyd and it's just mental now!!!!!!