General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Machining specs for blocks - Long Studs etc spec

Search this Thread

Old 25-01-2009, 12:16 AM
oohogwash1
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Machining specs for blocks - Long Studs etc spec

Being in Australia I cannot just go to local shop and say long stud this block , do this do that as the YB is not common at all.

Does anyone have a clear specification for long studding of blocks that I can provide to machinist to quote and know that it will done correctly.

I will also ask about other bits like oil galleries etc, again I need an spec to ensure I ask for and get the right thing

I am considering using Mike Rainbirds studs currently. Mike I checked with Lincoln and he did not organize his directly so asking as cross reference and in case where I don't get info from that person.

Thanks
Old 25-01-2009, 12:29 AM
bbspolo
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would it not just be cheaper to buy a block already done in the uk and air freight it out 2 u??
Cant see any company giving up there specs?
Old 25-01-2009, 12:29 AM
Miller 3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Reyland dose a long stud kit that is a 17mm nut as opposed to a 18mm which you would need to have a socket machined down to fit and iirc you need to get the exhaust side 5mm lower than the inlet side but dont quote me on that... best to just phone the likes or martin @ reyland to get the right info
Old 25-01-2009, 03:12 AM
oohogwash1
PassionFord Regular

I thought it would have been a standard mill x mm and thread spec hence the post to find out whats required.

I did ask Mike on his stud set, he suggested I contact my friend in
Aus but no luck so far. I will contact him again.

I am not sure of cost of new block but know the freight to Aus is outrageous, I am getting a bunch of other bits machined so figured I should add it into the pot. This block is near new but got screwed by crap through oil it :-(.
Old 25-01-2009, 09:40 AM
LINCOLN
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by oohogwash1
I thought it would have been a standard mill x mm and thread spec hence the post to find out whats required.

I did ask Mike on his stud set, he suggested I contact my friend in
Aus but no luck so far. I will contact him again.

I am not sure of cost of new block but know the freight to Aus is outrageous, I am getting a bunch of other bits machined so figured I should add it into the pot. This block is near new but got screwed by crap through oil it :-(.

My lord you are inpatient

However I am equally forgetful
Old 25-01-2009, 12:40 PM
oohogwash1
PassionFord Regular

My wife just confirmed that I am impatient

And I can confirm that you are equally forgetful

I posted this after I read posts on here after our chat. The Lads on here indicated that it is possible to machine the block incorrectly. Hit the water jacket, not go long enough etc.

I was hoping to find some supporting information that validates what you find. Just trying to minimize the chance of screwing up.
So far did not get any response.
Old 25-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by oohogwash1
Being in Australia I cannot just go to local shop and say long stud this block , do this do that as the YB is not common at all.

Does anyone have a clear specification for long studding of blocks that I can provide to machinist to quote and know that it will done correctly.

I will also ask about other bits like oil galleries etc, again I need an spec to ensure I ask for and get the right thing

I am considering using Mike Rainbirds studs currently. Mike I checked with Lincoln and he did not organize his directly so asking as cross reference and in case where I don't get info from that person.

Thanks

Any good machine shop can do it, The only real info needed is how deep to drill from the top of the deck.

Mark
Old 25-01-2009, 02:24 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Don't they need a counter bore in the top for the o ring to sit?

Sometimes i wish i was back in that game again mind u i used to do more homers than work

Paul