General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

You unemployed lot....where does the money come from?

Search this Thread

Old 23-01-2009 | 05:21 PM
CoupeUK
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Default You unemployed lot....where does the money come from?

Hey all,

I was laid off on Dec20th 2008 and have been seeking work since then to no avail. I hve been living off my savings, cutting corners where I can to save the last penny but now it comes to the time that I currently have £15 left, hald a tank in the car, my car insurance payment comes out tomorrow but theres no money in the bank etc etc etc

I have aplied for numerous jobs but its the same old story, they are so hard to find no thnks to the current economy that I keep getting told that theres at least 200 other people applying for the same positions. I'm not being picky, i'll take whatever I can find!!

I know theres a few in the same boat as me, aside from signing on (which I have an interview for tomorrow at 11am) how do you all afford to live, cope with bills etc?

Im really drawing a blank now, any idea's??
Old 23-01-2009 | 05:23 PM
BANNED

you take a shitty job and in the mean time search for the proper job, deliver friggin pizzas if you have to just earn your way.
Old 23-01-2009 | 05:27 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i know what you mean mate, ive never signed on but been out of work a few times lately and got very hard up for cash and wondered how people live by signing on? thankfully i got a call wednesday and my contractor is laying off people who have subbed for him for years and bringing me and my 2 co workers back, was soo relieved
Old 23-01-2009 | 05:30 PM
mk1escoz4x4
BANNED

rob a bank
Old 23-01-2009 | 05:30 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

or you do what millions of goverment ads tell you there onto, you do a "bit" on the side, cash in hand.

they know that your bollocksed if you do it all legal so people top up their benefit with a earner.

the only other way is to get a council house,and a load of kids and claim for everything, thats known as hitting the jackpot.

don't work and get paid for shagging,smoking,drinking and appearing on jeremy kyle.

Last edited by cozzfather; 23-01-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 23-01-2009 | 05:36 PM
dazoriginal
prodigal son

was in the same position
now i get minimum wage
better than nowt
register with agencies
best of luck mate
Old 23-01-2009 | 05:37 PM
truthordare
Omnomnomnom

Bookies will be recruiting for the summer shortly, the jobs pretty safe too, no matter how poor gamblers are they will always find money to bet with. its not an easy job and the starting pay is pretty poor (pays just more than retail) but gets better as you work through the grades, you can quickly work your way up to management level if you have your head in the game. Just a thought for those that are willing to try something different. It is long hours though, 12-13 hour days when we are short staffed.

Debs
Old 23-01-2009 | 05:39 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

dont be proud, if you need to sign on sign on,thats why youve been paying tax and NI and do whatever work you can find. im a joiner but i would empty buckets top earn cash if i had to.
Old 23-01-2009 | 05:43 PM
Andy_R
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Where in the country are you?
What do you do?
How much is your insurance? Can you not get an emergency loan from the DSS?(unsure how it works exactly but have heard about it in the past)
If you were to cancel your Direct Debit it would buy you a couple of weeks.....rather than getting charged for a bounced DD.

Not nice to read this type of post, feel for you mate, hope something turns up soon!
Old 23-01-2009 | 05:45 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

phone your creditors and tell them you have no money. some are willing to give payment holidays for a couple of months until your sorted again.
Old 23-01-2009 | 05:47 PM
mk1escoz4x4
BANNED

if you are going to sign on make sure you tell them your kosovan, then pick out your new house and tell them what car you would like........ good luck mate
Old 23-01-2009 | 05:52 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

As said sign up to a load of job agencies, even a day or 2 a week is something.
Old 23-01-2009 | 06:03 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Deal drugs and pimp the wife out.
Other than that cash in hand, gardening or oddjob man around your estate, may not pay loads but it may put a liner in your pocket.

Edit to add.
Theres a guy who lived on our street we called OddJob, since school he just did bits n bats of well oddjobs, and made a living from it, the fuckers only got a half a Million quid house and has lads doing his oddjobbing, Cunt
Old 23-01-2009 | 06:03 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

Originally Posted by CoupeUK
I know theres a few in the same boat as me, aside from signing on (which I have an interview for tomorrow at 11am) how do you all afford to live, cope with bills etc?

Im really drawing a blank now, any idea's??
I signed on after 3 months out looking for work. You'll love dealing with those Job Centre guys. They don't really give a monkeys they just said "keep looking on the internet or in free papers or use our terminals" to keep your JSA (£60.50 p/w Woo ) going they want to see 3 things you've done a week. So I went in armed with letters I'd got back saying "Sorry, no vacancies" but they don't ACTUALY want to see them. Or actually want to do anything to help you. Its "Hi, name 3 things, sign here. Goodbye"

No wonder theres a sub-section of the community doing feck all and getting everything paid for

re: the Job agencys. A lot of them are coming up empty at the moment as everyone else is doing the same thing.
Old 23-01-2009 | 06:17 PM
Rs1
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by Rich_w
I signed on after 3 months out looking for work. You'll love dealing with those Job Centre guys. They don't really give a monkeys they just said "keep looking on the internet or in free papers or use our terminals" to keep your JSA (£60.50 p/w Woo ) going they want to see 3 things you've done a week. So I went in armed with letters I'd got back saying "Sorry, no vacancies" but they don't ACTUALY want to see them. Or actually want to do anything to help you. Its "Hi, name 3 things, sign here. Goodbye"

No wonder theres a sub-section of the community doing feck all and getting everything paid for

re: the Job agencys. A lot of them are coming up empty at the moment as everyone else is doing the same thing.
Sounds very familiar, i was in there yesterday and the wifey said "ok lets do a search on the system", so i asked if that differed from what was on the website, she said "no" so then i asked what good was that going to do considering i had just ran through all the details with her and told her i check the site daily, her answer..........."well you never know" Great,lol.
Old 23-01-2009 | 06:27 PM
adam.d
PassionFord Regular

I now live on benefits, not thru choice tho. I gave up my 25k a year job to care for my partner who needs a double lung transplant. She gets incapacity and dissability living allowance and I get income support and care allowance. I would say were quite entitled to the benefits we recieve as our lass is quite poorly and is on oxygen 24/7. I do agree with earlier posts tho about the ammount of lazy money grabbing twats who CHOOSE to live on benefits, I would gladly swap my easy life on benefits for a normal life, with a healthy wife and my old job back.
Old 23-01-2009 | 06:27 PM
milesy23rst
PUG 306 GTI-6

Angry

Originally Posted by Rudey
feel for ya mate wank aint it that you gotta use ya fuckin savings that youve worked hard for then thiers cunts that get rent paid council tax and spending money and theyve done fuck all my moneys going to ireland fuck these tossers
most of it to the immigrants, etc taking british peoples work and leaving the people that were born here with no fucking jobs or money, this country is shit!!!
Old 23-01-2009 | 06:29 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by milesy
most of it to the immigrants, etc taking british peoples work and leaving the people that were born here with no fucking jobs or money, this country is shit!!!
The jobs they wouldn't do...

Then again, allowed to get away with it, government should force these fuckers to do jobs that need filling.
Old 23-01-2009 | 06:38 PM
joel_winders
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

i got laid off in november, spent savings in december, now im on a 3 month contract till april, after that ive got nothing, no money and direct debits coming out ! worrying times
Old 23-01-2009 | 06:39 PM
milesy23rst
PUG 306 GTI-6

Originally Posted by C4llyT

Then again, allowed to get away with it, government should force these fuckers to do jobs that need filling.
were i live there is hardly any work but yet its full of polish immigrants that are working here, hence why we have one of the highest unemployment rates in the south, the government should fuck them off back to there own country to work and let the british people have the work.
Old 23-01-2009 | 06:43 PM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

Originally Posted by adam.d
I now live on benefits, not thru choice tho. I gave up my 25k a year job to care for my partner who needs a double lung transplant. She gets incapacity and dissability living allowance and I get income support and care allowance. I would say were quite entitled to the benefits we recieve as our lass is quite poorly and is on oxygen 24/7. I do agree with earlier posts tho about the ammount of lazy money grabbing twats who CHOOSE to live on benefits, I would gladly swap my easy life on benefits for a normal life, with a healthy wife and my old job back.
That is why benefits exist in my opinion!

All the best mate!
Old 23-01-2009 | 06:47 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by milesy
were i live there is hardly any work but yet its full of polish immigrants that are working here, hence why we have one of the highest unemployment rates in the south, the government should fuck them off back to there own country to work and let the british people have the work.
Thought a lot had gone back due to poor pound and how shit our country is?
Another point is they're good workers, a lot of us English are bone idle lol.
Is terrible how we have X amount of unemployed, and at least that amount come here to work, fucked up.
Old 23-01-2009 | 06:57 PM
CoupeUK

Well as bad as it sounds it does help that I know im not the only one out there with no monies coming in!

Previous to being unemployed I was earning £600pw doing recovery so its a massive blow to be sat where I am now.......I applied at Dominoes Pizza 2 weeks ago to see if there are any jobs going, nothing there either! Same story at McDonalds, Burger King etc etc

Its shit times really, I been going through yell.com ringing local businesses trying to find work to find that theyre either fully staffed as it is or are in the process of letting people go, its so bloody hard.

If I had anything worth selling I would do exactly that but I sold it already!

What savings I had I have used to try keep myself afloat but thats dried up now.......

Im currently signed up to 6 different agencies with no preferance to work, been on their books since 21Dec and havent heard a single peep from any of them.

My girlfriends got 2 jobs to try and make ends meet, she's doing bar work in the evenings and selling charity raffle tickets in the days.......

And they say that crime pays?? We'll soon see

Last edited by CoupeUK; 23-01-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 23-01-2009 | 06:57 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

Aint that the truth! These guys have come hundreds of miles to work, the majority aren't here for the handouts. Whilst we've got fucking idiots on estates doing fuck all. Or stealing/smashing up other peoples possesions, not for profit but for shits and giggles

I know who Id rather have in my house!
Old 23-01-2009 | 07:11 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Thought a lot had gone back due to poor pound and how shit our country is?
Is terrible how we have X amount of unemployed, and at least that amount come here to work, fucked up.
i dont agree, maybe the first wave that originally came across were decent workers but the majority i see in the building trade now are lazy chancers.
Old 23-01-2009 | 07:15 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by fuzzy
i dont agree, maybe the first wave that originally came across were decent workers but the majority i see in the building trade now are lazy chancers.
So why are they still employed?
Maybe the English are too bone idle to even turn up and do fuck all
Old 23-01-2009 | 07:17 PM
gra1984
Regular Contributor

I aint had a job for 2 months! i didnt sign on straight away left it about 3 weeks, coz i was too proud i suppose and thought i will find something! still havent really, agencies are a waste of fucking time in my opinion, they seem to have the attitude of ive got a job. many have taken my number and said we will call you back later and guess what, they DONT!!! im getting fed up of job hunting.

[quote=Rich_w;3897718]I signed on after 3 months out looking for work. You'll love dealing with those Job Centre guys. They don't really give a monkeys they just said "keep looking on the internet or in free papers or use our terminals" to keep your JSA (£60.50 p/w Woo ) going they want to see 3 things you've done a week. So I went in armed with letters I'd got back saying "Sorry, no vacancies" but they don't ACTUALY want to see them. Or actually want to do anything to help you. Its "Hi, name 3 things, sign here. Goodbye"

I know what you mean, went and signed on today, i was in and out within 5 mins!

my way of living at the moment is through my dole money, about 47.50, housing benefit which is £77 i think and lucky my missus has a fairly decent job so she paying the bills! but it aint gonna last forever. its shite i just wanna get back to work

Only thing that looks good at the moment is i mite have a part time job at ikea but thats only £500 a month, which isnt gonna help that much!!
Old 23-01-2009 | 07:24 PM
stevenebm
post whore

hate seeing posts like this.makes me realise i am a fanny for moaning about no overtime.hope you get something mate.crime does pay as i see local dealers arent suffering from the crunch
Old 23-01-2009 | 07:28 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

So why are they still employed?
Maybe the English are too bone idle to even turn up and do fuck all
back handers to site managers to 'agency' suppliers but now theres been so many cut backs its not so easy for them to hide unqualified chancers amongst the workers who have to carry these dead weights.
fortunately the company i work with wont use them directly and i refuse to work with these chancers when theres so many decent locals out of work.
your right about the fooking lazy english though, fortunately scots are good hard workers.
Old 23-01-2009 | 07:31 PM
R6_wal

Where abouts you from?? You say worked in recovery i take it you mean vehicle recovery??
Anyway, the firm i work for are after drivers, cant seem to get them, i will pm you the number, depending on where you live, we're in essex
Old 23-01-2009 | 07:45 PM
CoupeUK

Originally Posted by R6_wal
Where abouts you from?? You say worked in recovery i take it you mean vehicle recovery??
Anyway, the firm i work for are after drivers, cant seem to get them, i will pm you the number, depending on where you live, we're in essex
Hi mate,

I have done vehicle recovery for the last 18months! Been doing cars and stuff but can pick up HGV's, got class2 HGV licence.

Im in Herts, 25mins north of M25

Paul
Old 23-01-2009 | 07:54 PM
R6_wal

I'll Pm you he number, might be worth the travelling even as a stop gap job
Old 23-01-2009 | 08:16 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

you should have signed on the day you lost your job. you were immediately entitled to jobseekers allowance of £60/week based on your NI contributions from the last year. why the hell would you not do that?
Old 23-01-2009 | 08:16 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Well as bad as it sounds it does help that I know im not the only one out there with no monies coming in!

Previous to being unemployed I was earning £600pw doing recovery so its a massive blow to be sat where I am now.......I applied at Dominoes Pizza 2 weeks ago to see if there are any jobs going, nothing there either! Same story at McDonalds, Burger King etc etc

Its shit times really, I been going through yell.com ringing local businesses trying to find work to find that theyre either fully staffed as it is or are in the process of letting people go, its so bloody hard.

If I had anything worth selling I would do exactly that but I sold it already!

What savings I had I have used to try keep myself afloat but thats dried up now.......

Im currently signed up to 6 different agencies with no preferance to work, been on their books since 21Dec and havent heard a single peep from any of them.

My girlfriends got 2 jobs to try and make ends meet, she's doing bar work in the evenings and selling charity raffle tickets in the days.......

And they say that crime pays?? We'll soon see
are they "everything" agencies or specific?

i know that due to the agency staff "earn" more, companies are less likely to use them so thats the first thing that gets cut back, our depot spent £122000 on agency staff last year
Old 23-01-2009 | 08:36 PM
CoupeUK

Originally Posted by dojj
are they "everything" agencies or specific?

i know that due to the agency staff "earn" more, companies are less likely to use them so thats the first thing that gets cut back, our depot spent £122000 on agency staff last year
2 are more transport based, the others are general 'all job' agencies.

The reason I didnt sign on instantly is due to the fact i've never ever had issues finding work beforehand, always found domething to tide me over. Also the same reason applies to me not having payment protection on my loans
Old 23-01-2009 | 08:37 PM
G2RSR
Bodybuilding

Yes that was true but now they have worked there way up to the top jobs.
Old 23-01-2009 | 08:53 PM
1.9 xr2 on 40's
st170 breaking

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
you should have signed on the day you lost your job. you were immediately entitled to jobseekers allowance of £60/week based on your NI contributions from the last year. why the hell would you not do that?
+1, they take fuckin loads off me every week, i want the cunt back if i get screwed over

as is i hjust got a perm contract renewal from my place and applied for a better job too (which ill get just a matter of time) and my old man is taking on people atm cos hes rushed off his feet

just gotta move about i spose

if i got no work i'd be doin cars on the side, as it is im just buying cars atm and not doin owt with em :blub: stacking up now
Old 23-01-2009 | 09:22 PM
macturbo
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by Rs1
Sounds very familiar, i was in there yesterday and the wifey said "ok lets do a search on the system", so i asked if that differed from what was on the website, she said "no" so then i asked what good was that going to do considering i had just ran through all the details with her and told her i check the site daily, her answer..........."well you never know" Great,lol.
You must sign on at the west road then, the same as me, .
Ive been out of work since I was laid off in August 08.
They dont give a fuck at the job centre, same shit, sign here, where ya been looking, Evening chronicle jobs section, internet. OK. Bye, see you in 2 weeks

EDIT:
Also I was to proud to sign on, but I had to unfortunately. Ive never been on the dole for 10 years and even then it was a very short time.
My house is currently £700 per month and im struggling to pay it, evey penny I get goes into paying for the house 1st to make sure we have a roof over our heads atleast. My monthly shopping budget is cut right down to like £100 per month for 2 adults and 2 kids!!!

Last edited by macturbo; 23-01-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 23-01-2009 | 09:39 PM
BazW
Regular Contributor

Im currently signed up to 6 different agencies with no preferance to work, been on their books since 21Dec and havent heard a single peep from any of them
I'm in the same boat with a load of motor trade agencies, I do/did paintless dent removal and was told they'd get me loads of work...that was in March, I'm still waiting. I've contacted loads of other agencies too but all they seem to do is take your name and number and say they'll call you back...still waiting on them too

It's shit to be out of work at the moment, I was made redundant from a coach builders in September but didn't go to the dole till December. I thought I'd walk straight into another job. Normally I would have but it just so happened loads of other coach builders and bodyshops went tits up at the same time too...couple of hundred people all with the same qualifications going for a handful of jobs

Quick Reply: You unemployed lot....where does the money come from?