General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

The Stig

Search this Thread

Old 19-01-2009, 10:57 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

there was a picture of the stig in one of the sunday papers last week with his visor up, could see him clearly enough.
Old 19-01-2009, 11:27 PM
andyescos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexF
The gay andy LOL
As I told you at that Erasure concert we went to in our leather chaps the night we trimmed our moustaches whilst discussing hairdressing and Mazda mx5's on the way to collect our white vests before we went to the gym to get buff and dance to the Village People........... There's a gay man trying to get out of my straight body! The funny thing is my wife see's me on a dancefloor and agrees with you Dude!

A pink Stig would be cool?
Old 20-01-2009, 11:35 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's in The Times too, so it must be true.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle5548705.ece

I always thought that each of the manufacturers would supply their own Stig to drive their car to the very best of its capabilities, so I'm kind of disappointed if Stig is just one man...
Old 21-01-2009, 12:00 AM
EIL132
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Iain Mac
It's in The Times too, so it must be true.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle5548705.ece

I always thought that each of the manufacturers would supply their own Stig to drive their car to the very best of its capabilities, so I'm kind of disappointed if Stig is just one man...
Interesting, if the Stig was/is different people then it's even worse as you dont have a true comparisson just like the rest of Top Gear, i.e. one cars time is set by a decent driver and the other maybe a bit less of a decent driver
Old 21-01-2009, 12:02 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by andyescos
A pink Stig would be cool?
It would get shortened though.

to either PIG or STINK
Old 21-01-2009, 12:04 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by EIL132
Interesting, if the Stig was/is different people then it's even worse as you dont have a true comparisson just like the rest of Top Gear, i.e. one cars time is set by a decent driver and the other maybe a bit less of a decent driver
Where as the same driver cant possible have an off day where he is .2 seconds slower cause he was out on the lash till 5am and then stayed up nailing 2 swedish birds till lunchtime before heading down for filming in the afternoon?
Old 21-01-2009, 12:12 AM
EIL132
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Chip
Where as the same driver cant possible have an off day where he is .2 seconds slower cause he was out on the lash till 5am and then stayed up nailing 2 swedish birds till lunchtime before heading down for filming in the afternoon?

Was that your excuse at the ring?
Old 21-01-2009, 12:18 AM
Chip

Was that your excuse at the ring?
Excuse for what? Do you mean when I crashed?

I know exactly what caused that, the tyres were utterly wankered, the tread blocks were worn diagonally so it was like it was on tippy toes, so had totally insufficient grip for the pace I was going at the time of the accident.
I noticed this on the previous lap, and declared the car no longer suitable for hammering round at such a rate, and decided not to go out again as a result.

Then Mike begged me to take him out as everyone had been going on about what fun it was in the E30 as me and mongo were so committed with how we were driving it etc, and despite knowing better, I didnt want to dissapoint him, so thought I would chance just one more lap at speed, which was of course an incorrect decision to have made, compounded by some fluid on the bend too.

Ive got no secrets about my driving or cars, Im quite happy to admit to making mistakes both on tracks and off but what the hell has that got to do with this thread though?
Old 21-01-2009, 07:41 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

i think he was the lead singer of the police
Old 21-01-2009, 08:15 AM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My thinking was that each manufacturer would want their car to look as good as possible on TV so wouldn't want to risk The Stig having an off-day, not getting to grips with their car properly, or maybe even preferring another make of car and subconsciously backing off, or whatever else, so would put forward one of their own test-pilots who would be very familiar with the car and what it could do.
Old 21-01-2009, 09:30 PM
andyescos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Iain Mac
My thinking was that each manufacturer would want their car to look as good as possible on TV so wouldn't want to risk The Stig having an off-day, not getting to grips with their car properly, or maybe even preferring another make of car and subconsciously backing off, or whatever else, so would put forward one of their own test-pilots who would be very familiar with the car and what it could do.

Some say he doesn't have "off" days, and that he eats test drivers for Breakfast?
Old 21-01-2009, 11:31 PM
robertthorpe
PassionFord Regular

exactly what i thought only fair thing they can do is put someone who knows the car back to front and knows exactly how the car will react to every sitluation, lambogini will send there driver over with the car as they know exactly how to drive the car and get maximum effiancy out of it therefore doing a better time and inturn it looks faster, and lambogini would be reluctant to give their £150,000 car to a man from bristol they dont know and have him push it to its limits round a track! but but the stig is used to do cetain tasks, but to be honest i dont really want to know it would just spoil its a good larf!

anyway just got a call from bbc and looks like aim the orange stig apparrantly was between me rainbird and martin i have got the job though obviously! lol

Last edited by robertthorpe; 21-01-2009 at 11:37 PM.