General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Penalty points for passengers in a car.

Search this Thread

Old 18-01-2009, 06:16 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Penalty points for passengers in a car.

A mate was saying that in some situations a passenger in a car can get penalty points for driving offences commited while in the car.

What circumstances are these?????

Surely the driver is always 100% responsible for driving offences?? (unless your supervising a learner i guess)

And if passengers can get points then how do they punish those without a license/under 17 for the same offences without there being an unfair penalty for the passenger with a license.

Also the same mate reckons you can get penalty points on a pedal cycle

Im after info from those who KNOW not speculation as ive had a enough of that with my mate
Old 18-01-2009, 08:20 AM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

What substance was your mate on when he uttered these comments?

The only occasion is a when full licence holder is accompanying a learner.
For example the accompanying driver can get points for being on a phone.

Last edited by focusv8; 18-01-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old 18-01-2009, 08:33 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Oh ok cos he was coming out with saying you can get it for inciting, aiding and abetting etc which sounds rediculous.
Old 18-01-2009, 08:49 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds like complete bollocks.

Mind you there was that guy who got banned for DD after being stopped completely wasted on a push bike. Pretty sure he appealed against it seeing as you don't need a lisence to ride a push bike (fucking should do with how some of the kamikazee twats ride about though)
Old 18-01-2009, 08:50 AM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

this is correct.

last year near me a car crashed killing a female back seat passenger, the driver (a full licence holder) was drunk as was the passenger who owned the car the driver got 5 years jail and the passenger 4 years for "allowing him to do it"

I will try and dig out the article

steve
Old 18-01-2009, 08:55 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

steve but was that the typical bloke in passenger seat drunk supervising a learner?? (who in this case was also drunk )

Would be interesting to see the DD cyclist article and if he won on appeal!! To be fair if a copper tried to breathalyse me for drunk cycling id refuse as your not a driver, your a cyclist
Old 18-01-2009, 08:58 AM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
steve but was that the typical bloke in passenger seat drunk supervising a learner?? (who in this case was also drunk
no read what I wrote again the driver was had a full licence the passenger also did but owned the car..

steve

Last edited by The Youth.; 18-01-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 18-01-2009, 08:58 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

With that case I can see how they done both as the owner of the car was present and the passenger was pissed while driving. If the owner is the driver I don't think they'd be able to do it
Old 18-01-2009, 09:01 AM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

yes but the passenger was found guilty of "causing death by dangerous driving" which he clearly wasn't as he was in the passenger seat!!

steve
Old 18-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

so does that mean all the teen passengers in a TWOCed car can technically get TWOC on thier license too??
Old 18-01-2009, 09:04 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by the youth
yes but the passenger was found guilty of "causing death by dangerous driving" which he clearly wasn't as he was in the passenger seat!!

steve
Yeah i dont see how he can of caused the death. Unless they are applying the laws like they do with coorporate manslaughter where the person charged wont necessarily have laid a finger on anyone or thing.
Old 18-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's actually worse than that.

In an example. Street-racing. People watching from the side of the road can be liable for prosecution too.

FACT.
Old 18-01-2009, 10:56 AM
sortedsaff
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my mates brother got points for hanging out of his mates passenger window whilst the car was moving
Old 18-01-2009, 11:08 AM
SWIFTY
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

some one i know lent his car to his mate who had no licence or insurance. he got banned for a week and a big fine, for letting him borrow the car

(spelling )
Old 18-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by sortedsaff
my mates brother got points for hanging out of his mates passenger window whilst the car was moving
What was the specific offence????

And also how can that be fair if passengers without license just get a fine???

What do they charge the people watching street racing with???
Old 18-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Truthfully I dont know, but when I got done for Motor Racing on the Highway, it was one of the things that was discussed. Aside from needing 2 separate convictions for that offence (which is a VERY rare conviction, they usually go for Dangerous Driving as it's easier to convict for that), anyone that can be proven to have been supporting the instance can also be convicted.
Old 18-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This guy got three points for failing to wear a seat-belt - as a passenger - but he's in Northern Ireland so rules may be different there. He lost an appeal, too.
http://jon44w.co.uk/forum/viewthread...=136870&page=1
Old 18-01-2009, 12:04 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

if the owner allows his car to be used by an uninsured driver for example the owner also gets done for it for allowing them to drive his car. if the owner is the driver the passengers wont get done.
Old 18-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by Iain Mac
This guy got three points for failing to wear a seat-belt - as a passenger - but he's in Northern Ireland so rules may be different there. He lost an appeal, too.
http://jon44w.co.uk/forum/viewthread...=136870&page=1
Reading that story and the qoutes from the NI policeman it seems the judge got it wrong but didnt give a flying fuck
Old 18-01-2009, 12:32 PM
89xr2
Brap!

Passenger gets done if theyre not wearing a seatbelt
Old 18-01-2009, 12:39 PM
timrud
BANNED
BANNED

A passenger cannot get points on their licence, unless they are supervising. You can only supervise as a full licence holder.

Passengers can be prosecuted for a number of things, however they will not get points. Examples include Allow carried in TWOC, and the very well publicised drink driving case mentioned above.

I'm not sure who told you that you can be prosecuted for watching street racing though. Might of been the Police trying to shit you up, thats the type of shite they often spew out so gullable people don't attend problem areas any more.
Old 18-01-2009, 12:47 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

there will be public order offences that will cover the gathering of people for illegal racing etc and the small print on a court letter i received stated that failing to pay the court imposed order could result in my car being seized even though it was an assault charge and totally unrelated to driving offences so anything is possible ..
Old 18-01-2009, 12:49 PM
SWIFTY
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

a few people from round by me have been given asbo's for watchin street racin and told if they go there again will have there car takin off them.

(spelling )
Old 18-01-2009, 12:51 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The original question was Points for passengers.

The only occasions are when the "Passenger" as in present in the car at the time of offence, is supervising and is in control of the vehicle.
So phone, drunk, drugs would apply.
Any passenger can be guilty of aiding and abetting, but wouldn't get points but could get jail.

The registered keeper can get points for failing to name a driver in a speeding fixed penalty case.

In the drunk death case above the owner who was present at time of offence couldn't have got points as he was not in control but he had allowed the driver to use the car and did have the power as owner to stop him, therefore is guilty of "Allowing use" but not causing.

You could argue that any full driving licence holder should know better if in a car with others who commit an offence or even on a bike and deserves to get fined and points, but the law doesn't allow points.

The story about the passenger hanging out the window and getting points is complete tosh.

Old 18-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by focusv8
The original question was Points for passengers.
so what about the NI passeger seat belt bloke, NI being part of UK and all that???

It seems theres a lot of coppers and judges making the law up as they go along, or theyve been bringing out stealth laws to catch people out!
Old 18-01-2009, 01:10 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Not law here although being proposed;

http://www.companycardriver.co.uk/ne...t_ID=325239755

However it was due to be law in N.I late last year from here;

http://www.northernireland.gov.uk/ne...rivers-and.htm

The penalty in respect of a driver or child passenger under 14 years not wearing a seat belt is a fixed penalty fine of Ł60 and three penalty points awarded to the driver or if convicted in court a fine up to Ł500. If the passenger is 14 years or over the fixed penalty is Ł30 or if convicted in court, a fine up to Ł500. Later this year, fixed penalty fines are expected to be harmonised at Ł60 and carry three penalty points.

Last edited by focusv8; 18-01-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 18-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Thats only ROSPA saying it should happen. The DfT said nothing.

I do think theyd need to seriously review the whole penalty point system to bring that out as youd need a driver record for everyone in the country, licensed or not, just to record the points.

To be frank i think the penalty point system needs review anyway, especially with non-dangerous driving speeding offences as theyve been proven time and time again that its about revenue generation and has had little effect on its own on reducing deaths.

Bet the insurance companys would love the extra points. Id love to know how they could justify hiking your premium because you didnt wear a seatbelt as a passenger in someones car. its a risk thats not relevant to your policy!!
Old 18-01-2009, 01:27 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
Id love to know how they could justify hiking your premium because you didnt wear a seatbelt as a passenger in someones car. its a risk thats not relevant to your policy!!
Any full licence holder should know better than to not wear a belt as a passenger and deserves points, UNLESS of course they are drunk, on drugs, ill, or have some other impediment that meant they wouldn't have been in a fit state to drive or know any better at that time.
A non driving passenger could never get points and doesn't necessarily know any better.

Last edited by focusv8; 18-01-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 18-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you dont get points for no seat belt over here, i get done on average once a year,,,, was done last week actually driving from my mates house down the road to the gym,,,,, had me stereo turned up loud and window down,, traffic where bothering some school kids and seen me waiting at a junction,,,, i was gonna put it on but it would have drawn attention, driving a impreza, stereo up, tattoo on neck and having a big built black guy in the passenger seat is ALWAYS gonna end up in being done for something,,,,, so just waited for him to walk over and ask me to pull to the side of the road

deffo no points though,,or i would start wearing my belt pmsl
Old 18-01-2009, 02:43 PM
neilrev
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by timrud
A passenger cannot get points on their licence, unless they are supervising. You can only supervise as a full licence holder.

Passengers can be prosecuted for a number of things, however they will not get points. Examples include Allow carried in TWOC, and the very well publicised drink driving case mentioned above.

I'm not sure who told you that you can be prosecuted for watching street racing though. Might of been the Police trying to shit you up, thats the type of shite they often spew out so gullable people don't attend problem areas any more.
I once got 8 points for allowing myself to be carried in a stolen car, but that was a long time ago so things may have changed.
Old 18-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know a few people who have been done for driving without a licence and insurance when stealing cars, think it was made law back in 97ish time, before that joyriding was just a caution
Old 18-01-2009, 05:23 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to be carefull about section 128, of the Road Traffic Act 1988, the ONUS to state who was driving ONLY becomes valid in law, once a crime has been commited.
I have a NIP here from 11/12/08 asking me who was driving my car at such and such a time, I told the rozzers to give me PHOTOGRAPHIC evidence as they suggested this had been seen by a camera van, or I staed failing that I would NOT divulge who was driving and considered thier request malicious, without evidence.
I am still waiting.
There has been no suggestion of speeding, and I pointed out also any NIP has to come about as evidence from a Police Officer, camera van men are civilians(in norfolk) so NIP cannot be issued as a result of their accusation, speeding is different as they have a photo, but even then must be agreed by a plod looking at photo first.
A full license holder can have point on his license if for example they break down, so learner is in seat steering car whilst it is pushed to side of road, this could result in points, just one example.
tabetha
Old 18-01-2009, 05:43 PM
bigjim172000
Me Cossie Runs Atlast!!!!

A Person on a pedal bike can be given fines (100% sure) and points (95% sure), one guy got done for 35mph in a 30mph zone
Old 18-01-2009, 05:53 PM
RstAaron.
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

If you knowingly allow somebody to drive whilst drunk/ uninsured car etc. you can be done for aiding and abbetting. (sp)
Old 18-01-2009, 09:33 PM
timrud
BANNED
BANNED

tabetha - what date did you get your first letter?