General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Tracker on work van

Search this Thread

Old 25-11-2009, 05:19 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

we ant got trackers in our trucks,are gaffer just gives us that much work we havent got time to fuck around
Old 25-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

hmm, wonder if mine says about harsh acceleration/braking etc...

as the fleet manager once told me to stop driving like a rally driver after i told citroen about the brake light on the dash coming on everything i braked, after a slight incident of brake fade lol.

i also launch it pretty much everytime i pull away, and i do stamp on the brakes

thing is, my company overload us with work, that has to be done that day, then on top of that we can get same jobs come in... so if we didnt drive flat out everywhere we would be doing 18 hour days, and im fucked if im doing that!
Old 25-11-2009, 07:41 PM
newstuart
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I sell and underwrite fleet insurance and confirm big discounts are allowed on vans with tools in if they have trackers fitted, normally for theft purposes only though or if the fleet has lots of fault accidents as it tends to calm down the drivers and reduce claims.
Old 25-11-2009, 07:59 PM
stevos
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

I work for a small refrigeration and air conditioning company we do all the greggs in scotland so we cover a fair distance,I normally do 3k a week in my van
we have 5 vans on the road.
3 service
1 maintence and a transit pick up.
6 guys working including the 2 bosses and i have never had a problem, there both engineers so they know how long jobs take.
I would look else where fella
Old 25-11-2009, 08:07 PM
snoopaloopa
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Stangely enough picked up my brand new van today, so blows that ' you get the shiitiest van' theory out of the window really
Trackers were brought in on my firm as a few people were blatantly taking the piss, they left/got sacked and then the rest of the vans got them fitted as the trust had gone
Unfortunatly for the rest of us that worked as you are supposed to it felt like a kick in the bollocks as the only perk, other than getting paid of course, was the little bit of freedom to pop to the shop or whatever, so unfortunatly no jobs are ever finished early, no overtime gets done and all the goodwill has gone but the boss is happy because he thinks he's god go figure lol
Oh and in my job the van is not expected to move during the day very often and its amazing how big the trees are So if it goees offline for a couple of hours no one notices, and lets be honest a few miles here or there doesn't matter much as long as its not hundreds of course

Last edited by snoopaloopa; 25-11-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 25-11-2009, 11:05 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by snoopaloopa
Stangely enough picked up my brand new van today, so blows that ' you get the shiitiest van' theory out of the window really
Trackers were brought in on my firm as a few people were blatantly taking the piss, they left/got sacked and then the rest of the vans got them fitted as the trust had gone
Unfortunatly for the rest of us that worked as you are supposed to it felt like a kick in the bollocks as the only perk, other than getting paid of course, was the little bit of freedom to pop to the shop or whatever, so unfortunatly no jobs are ever finished early, no overtime gets done and all the goodwill has gone but the boss is happy because he thinks he's god go figure lol
Oh and in my job the van is not expected to move during the day very often and its amazing how big the trees are So if it goees offline for a couple of hours no one notices, and lets be honest a few miles here or there doesn't matter much as long as its not hundreds of course
they'll just tell the inland revenue and you lose Ł3k a year then

bet you won't be laughing then
Old 26-11-2009, 06:16 AM
snoopaloopa

Originally Posted by dojj
they'll just tell the inland revenue and you lose Ł3k a year then

bet you won't be laughing then
Already pay the tax mate, and yes, I am still laughing so go poke yourself in the eye with a pork pie lol
And being a van its the tax on Ł3000 not the whole Ł3000, works out about Ł12 p/w iirc, a bit more if you want the fuel as well
I'm not really fussed about the tracker tbh as I don't have anything to hide, was just a shame they were fitted.
I can totally see the reasoning behind them in saved fuel/insurance costs if the company runs lots of vehicles, I'm just not a fan of the whole big brother thing.
And I didn't say I had knobbled the tracker personally, just that most of us worked out how to do it. The office computer knew exactly were the van was while I ate my ice cream
On another point I've yet to see how a tracker helps me get back 20 years worth of tools when the insurance company still limit the payout to a one off payment of Ł200,that wouldn't even cover half of my spanners let alone the rest of my gear, there must be better cover availible somewhere i could take out privatly maybe?

Last edited by snoopaloopa; 26-11-2009 at 06:27 AM.
Old 26-11-2009, 06:39 AM
sparticus1
How??

I work for the local authority and we have all our vehicles fitted. We lost a JCB from a site a few months back was there friday but not on the monday. I went have a look and found it at a caravan park 20 miles away phoned the old bill who met us there got the Ł40k machine back!! Also we were loosing diesel all the time seems to have stopped now. As most have said if your not doing anything wrong no worries!!
Old 26-11-2009, 07:10 AM
newstuart
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

On another point I've yet to see how a tracker helps me get back 20 years worth of tools when the insurance company still limit the payout to a one off payment of Ł200,that wouldn't even cover half of my spanners let alone the rest of my gear, there must be better cover availible somewhere i could take out privatly maybe?
Most insurance companies have a basic level of cover for tools on board (usually between Ł250 - Ł1000 )but have the facility to increase this as/when needed subject to adequate security.

For example I look after a mobile tyre fitter who has Ł25k of gear in the back of his van which is all covered

You/your company should speak to their insurers to increase it

Last edited by newstuart; 26-11-2009 at 07:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 26-11-2009, 08:16 AM
dojj

Already pay the tax mate, and yes, I am still laughing so go poke yourself in the eye with a pork pie lol
And being a van its the tax on Ł3000 not the whole Ł3000, works out about Ł12 p/w iirc, a bit more if you want the fuel as well
seeing as i work on the other end of the computer where things happen on the screen, it's either nothing or 33k on your tax bill for company van tax

this is beacuse so many peole were buying toyota and nissan 4wd truck things and stuff as work vans, paying Ł500 a year in tax (which is the Ł12 a week you'll be refering to) and then using them as their own transport

you really should remember these things if you want to look smart and clever

but as long as you are happy then i am going to eat my pork pie
Old 26-11-2009, 11:56 AM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by stevos
I would look else where fella
I'd go on the dole, don't under estimate the problems a tracker brings...
Old 26-11-2009, 12:34 PM
dojj

why all this negativity about having a tracker instaled in your vehicles?

the boss knows where the van is, and that's all they want to know

we've had plenty of peeps getting speeding tickets bceause they were supposed to be in the van that got the ticket, but when we look at the tracker they were somewhere else

everyone is fine with it where we work and no one takes the piss, in outr case, if the vehicle is not being used for approved company business it's technically not insured, so we've had plenty of peeps who have taken the van wihtout permission who have either signed up to say they will not take it again, or have had their marching orders when it was an agency driver

bet these guys would be the first to compalin if there was no pay rise bceause they'd spunked the company profits up the wall driving abou tthe countryside all day long using company diesel and shit
Old 26-11-2009, 04:46 PM
snoopaloopa

Originally Posted by dojj
seeing as i work on the other end of the computer where things happen on the screen, it's either nothing or 33k on your tax bill for company van tax

this is beacuse so many peole were buying toyota and nissan 4wd truck things and stuff as work vans, paying Ł500 a year in tax (which is the Ł12 a week you'll be refering to) and then using them as their own transport

you really should remember these things if you want to look smart and clever

but as long as you are happy then i am going to eat my pork pie

I thought I was having a 'relatively' sensible discussion but obviously not I wasn't trying to look smart or clever because I can't do miracles

Shame as all the pickups on our firm, Navara's/Rangers are still classed as commercial vehicles and i pay the tax on Ł3000 a year as stated by the Inland Revenue, just glad I dont have you sorting the tax out on the company fleet I don't claim to be a tax expert, I just know what I'm paying. I'm pretty sure the taxman would have mentioned it by now on the 1000 plus vans/piick-ups we operate as the taxman isn't known for giving money away as far as i'm aware?
I am now going to bow out gracefully as i should of remembered haveing a sensible discussion on here can be a tad difficult

Oh, and I shall have a check with our insurance company about upping our tool cover, thanks for that

Last edited by snoopaloopa; 26-11-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 26-11-2009, 05:08 PM
Eagle
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

still cant understand why people have issues with a tracker.. unless your that paranoid cos you doin summit dodgy...
embrace it and work with it ....
then watch your boss moan when productivity goes down ...
my attitude is stay to the speed limit as its my licence no other bugger will take the points... no matter how much work you got on ...
so say you got stopped for doing 70 in a 50 and you denied it ...as you were doing 50 .. that tracker might be your licence saver, be nice to produce evidence stating how fast you were going before you got stopped...