General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

is there ANY work out there?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 04:06 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Default is there ANY work out there?

God it's sooo hard, i was working on the westfield job in london as an electrician, i fell out with the employer over lack of information, and giving us plans to work from that had been drawn in biro

after the job finished i chose not to carry on working with him because it was too stressful and i was always on the phone asking for information of where things needed to be, with his reply being use the drawing, followed by me saying yes but there not to scale and been drawn on with a pen , some people are unreal.

i'v come back to brum and now can't find nothing, the only trouble is i have only on site experience and no papers, with all this shortage of work people are only looking for electricians with all there qualifications, so i'm now stumper and can't even find a delivery job or something to keep me tied over , is there really that little out there or am i just looking in the wrong places, any one got some ideas
Old 07-01-2009, 04:09 PM
joel_winders
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

theres not much at the min especially in construction, i got laid off at the end of december and have applied for a shed load of jobs im a QS, i heard nothing back from any of them apart from 1 which is were i started at on monday but thats only a 3 month freelance contract so unless they take me on i'll be looking again soon !
Old 07-01-2009, 04:16 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Originally Posted by joel_winders
theres not much at the min especially in construction, i got laid off at the end of december and have applied for a shed load of jobs im a QS, i heard nothing back from any of them apart from 1 which is were i started at on monday but thats only a 3 month freelance contract so unless they take me on i'll be looking again soon !
God it's crap isn't it i can't believe our country has got into such a mess, i have a job opportunity in london, but that would mean moving over there because of it being 5/6 day's a week and 9-5 hours, so finding a cheap hotel wouldn't be cost affective.

well i hope they do get back to you mate and you have more luck than me, i'm atleast at my mom's for the mean time, but i don't think it'll last for ever then i'll really be in the shit
Old 07-01-2009, 04:18 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

with no papers youll struggle to find work as a sparky.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:26 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Originally Posted by fuzzy
i no, i went between trades when i was younger because i wasn't sure wot i wanted, i'v done block paving, carpentry, bricklaying/building, and now electritian, i have been meaning to start college but my last few job's meant travelling alot so wasn't really do able,

i'd do really well as a mantainance man but alot of them are only like 20 hours a week and that's just not enough really, especially with my bodywork on my esco that need's fixing up

my last option is go into the army for a few years and i'd get all my licences aswell as my papers, so i would be set for life, i'v just heard too many horror stories though from friend's, so it really is the last resort
Old 07-01-2009, 04:47 PM
gus
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i have gone from being out of work for 6 / 7 weeks to getting 3 firms phone today offering work

im a scaffolder, use to leave one job and have start within the hour

good luck finding work dude!
Old 07-01-2009, 04:49 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

theres sod all tbh, my jobs flooded with chippys atm as he doesnt want to lay people off but the truth is there isnt enough work for us all. hopefully ive found myself 168 flats to work on starting next week so can leave and let someone else stay in work a little longer.

Trending Topics

Old 07-01-2009, 04:52 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by gus
i have gone from being out of work for 6 / 7 weeks to getting 3 firms phone today offering work

im a scaffolder, use to leave one job and have start within the hour

good luck finding work dude!
soo true, this time last year if i got fed up id go home and start on a different site the next morning, now the work just isnt there, i had about 6 weeks out of work myself months back
Old 07-01-2009, 04:53 PM
SteveH
BANNED
BANNED

Same here, been struggling something awful for a while now

Had bits and bobs, and mates have helped me out, but its looking bleak at the minute. Im looking at doing my FLT license soon, might open up a bit more work as I have a large industrial park a few miles away
Old 07-01-2009, 04:53 PM
gramsey
PassionFord Regular

im a sparyk aswel mate in the wirral area and i cant find anything at all. i decided to go self employed as i had a contract in brum and if felll throu. no i cant find a thing and am having to resort to silly things like door to door sales i hope u find some work soon thou mate
Old 07-01-2009, 04:57 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

probably easier for you to get work as one of the other trades youve tried as landscaping/joinery/bricky arent quite as health and safety/qualification orientated
Old 07-01-2009, 05:21 PM
burnzy
burnzy

probably easier for you to get work as one of the other trades you've tried as landscaping/joinery/bricky aren't quite as health and safety/qualification orientated
to be honest mate i'm looking for more or less anything at the minute, it's just so annoying, because i can probably do a better job than alot of qualified sparky's out there, and that's no offense to any of you on here, just from my experience on the sites i'v been on, and it's a shame because i enjoy my work, n will hate having to do something just for the money .

but cheer's for some support every one

it's just horrible to see that most of the good people of this country, are suffering so much, and to be honest alot of job's that we could be doing, have been taken up buy foreigners when they opened the doors to the EU
Old 07-01-2009, 05:43 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

british jobs for british people in times of recession i say.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:46 PM
orionmojo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i started back on monday, finished at 2pm, tues finish at 3pm and nothing today!

i'm a truck driver and drive muckshifters. its shit alright.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Aye the construction industry is looking bleak. We were always months in advance booked up, usually at least 4/6 months but now we are only booked up until feb. We have about 5 or 6 prices out there, 2 of which defo want us but arent / wont spend money cos of the recession!
Old 07-01-2009, 06:12 PM
burnzy
burnzy

you no wot scares me the most is that thing's are going to get worse before they get better, and some of you out there with young kid's and a house with a mortgage and a lazy missus lol, are going to have it alot worse than me.

and were left defenseless, it shows because i'v noticed alot more crime already starting we've had about 6 armed robberies in our town already since new years and that's in a space of about 2 square miles, it just show's wot length people are forced to go just to keep food on the table
Old 07-01-2009, 06:12 PM
orionmojo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

where abouts in brum are you mate?
Old 07-01-2009, 06:14 PM
burnzy
burnzy

british jobs for british people in times of recession i say.
and i fully agree mate i mean wot a time they chose to do that EU join, i mean a recession doesn't happen over night, they must of had a whiff of something bad was going to happen

but then again our government are really good at hiding thing's under the carpet
Old 07-01-2009, 06:15 PM
jonty
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by joel_winders
hi mate give the company i work for a ring we got shit loads if work coming off we have a big job just starting in culcheth nr warrington
www.bam.co.uk
hope this helps
Old 07-01-2009, 06:17 PM
burnzy
burnzy

[QUOTE=orionmojo;3859302]where abouts in brum are you mate?[/QUOTE

Pm it you instead less people no sometime better especially when guest can come on here

Last edited by burnzy; 07-01-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:25 PM
slydawg65
Part of the Furniture

im a tower crane driver and also have a telescopic forklift license and have been out of work since june '08. theres deffo nothing in NI at the minute...
Old 07-01-2009, 06:28 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Originally Posted by slydawg65
im a tower crane driver and also have a telescopic forklift license and have been out of work since june '08. theres deffo nothing in NI at the minute...
didn't think it would be as bad for you over there sorry to here it mate
Old 07-01-2009, 06:31 PM
JohnnyB
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The only thing which is ok is I.T.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:35 PM
slydawg65
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by Burnzybubbles
didn't think it would be as bad for you over there sorry to here it mate
things are shocking over here mate. ive applied for countless jobs in the past 6 months and havent even got an interview...
Old 07-01-2009, 06:38 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
Aye the construction industry is looking bleak. We were always months in advance booked up, usually at least 4/6 months but now we are only booked up until feb. We have about 5 or 6 prices out there, 2 of which defo want us but arent / wont spend money cos of the recession!
yea it's the same for us we was always on the bright side of thing's and having to turn work down now there's nothink, the bloke i used to work under had a job opportunity for running a job on a 3 year contract and said he might not take it cos didn't want to leave me in the shit, but there was no way i could not make him take it with the current situation.

but it might be a god senze cos he said if it gets really bad he can try and pull me on there, but would mean packing my bag's and leaving all my mates and birmingham.

i'm a bit of a dab hand with car's aswell so though i'd have a look at mechanic work but can't even find anything there, and i can drive forever so had a look at delivery driving and there i still nothing it's unreal, so i don't think it matters wot you do it's all looking shite at the moment
Old 07-01-2009, 06:43 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Originally Posted by JohnnyB
The only thing which is ok is I.T.
and unfortunately the only thing except cleaning aswell, that would drive me nutty to do as a job, i will do more or less everything except them 2 things and anything to do with poo i.e drainage i just dont have the stomach lol
Old 07-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Ginge
www.virtualseason.net

I for one don't seem to have enough hours in the day to work at the moment, so fucking busy its unreal.

Just finished a huge job at the Nokia HQ in Farnborough, now doing another big job in Reading for the new Yell.com HQ..

700 outlets perfloor...fun fun fun

Thats installing Cat6/under floor concentrators that sort of shit, just gotta terminate both cabinets and then do the floor boxes and then onto the next job!

Ginge

Last edited by Ginge; 07-01-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:33 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Originally Posted by Ginge
I for one don't seem to have enough hours in the day to work at the moment, so fucking busy its unreal.

Just finished a huge job at the Nokia HQ in Farnborough, now doing another big job in Reading for the new Yell.com HQ..

700 outlets perfloor...fun fun fun

Thats installing Cat6/under floor concentrators that sort of shit, just gotta terminate both cabinets and then do the floor boxes and then onto the next job!

Ginge
lol rubb it in why don't you but yeah some people are ok, government work is ok and the real big companies like nokia and yellowpages, but they'll use the contractors that they have always used and i bet your company your working for aren't hiring at the mo, like i said though i'd get the work if i could blag my papers but i can't , so the doll office for me it is then
Old 08-01-2009, 01:14 AM
Lee1972
Formerly COSSIE_LEE

Unless your Eastern European and stand on Cricklewood Broadway here in London. You see them get picked up every morning and no on wants to do anything about it.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:23 AM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took me months to find a job, and thats only a 3 month part time contract! Runs out next month....

I should hopefully be starting another job on the 19th Jan though
Old 08-01-2009, 01:36 AM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Went onto the local newspaper website to view local jobs in IT and their were 3 so i widened the search to the whole of the North and their were 15 .

The countries on it's arse at the min so it looks like i'll stay put as the bills get payed.

I wish the government and these financial folk that you see on the breakfast programme/news etc would stop bullshitting us and say the countries fucked for the foreseeable future so keep your head down, instead of saying it'll be fine in 12 months. It doesn't take a genius to know it won't.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:48 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

West midlands is shocking for jobs at minute.

Also on paper you dont have any of those skills so your as good as the unqualified doped up chav looser drinking outside the jobcentre waiting to sign on Dont take it to heart, theres thousands of people im similar situation. Unless you stand out you wont get to interview. Theres so many people unemployed in west midlands that i almost garuntee people will apply for same jobs you have and they are better qualified so already your at a disadvantage. Just keep plugging at it.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:49 AM
burnzy
burnzy

Originally Posted by COSSIE_LEE
Unless your Eastern European and stand on Cricklewood Broadway here in London. You see them get picked up every morning and no on wants to do anything about it.
Haha! i used to see them every day on my way to westfield i thought they where waiting for work but just couldn't belive it to be true, just show's why we get into such a mess no one can be arsed to do anything about crap like this
Old 08-01-2009, 01:52 AM
G2RSR
Bodybuilding

we are in a new housing estate and there alot of houses still being built but all the builders etc are polish and also they have the cheek to say stuff to my mrs has she takes the kids to school

Last edited by G2RSR; 08-01-2009 at 01:55 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:54 AM
burnzy
burnzy

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
West midlands is shocking for jobs at minute.

Also on paper you dont have any of those skills so your as good as the unqualified doped up chav looser drinking outside the jobcentre waiting to sign on Dont take it to heart, theres thousands of people im similar situation. Unless you stand out you wont get to interview. Theres so many people unemployed in west midlands that i almost garuntee people will apply for same jobs you have and they are better qualified so already your at a disadvantage. Just keep plugging at it.
yea cheer's for that mate an no offense taken, i no i should of sorted papers out, but at the time i wasn't 100% on wot i wanted to do, and to be honest my mate that is fully qualified bricky, has just spent most of today handing out applications to places like pizza hut and stuff like that just to tied him over it's wrong really
Old 08-01-2009, 02:03 AM
burnzy
burnzy

Originally Posted by G2RSR
we are in a new housing estate and there alot of houses still being built but all the builders etc are polish and also they have the cheek to say stuff to my mrs has she takes the kids to school
yea were getting under cut big time, because they can go back home and live on penuts once they've finnished sharing a bedsit with half there mates, i don't want to sound racist but you'll find it's going on everywhere and i'm 99% correct, there is a few forigners out there doing a good job or even the job's most english wont do, but like i said 99% are taking advantage of our situation and where suffering big time because of it

i say this with confidence because when i worked on the westfield site there was 10,000 people working there and the graffiti on the toilet's was to say the least colourfull and alot of the imigrants from the EU had written explaining how much they enjoyed taking advantage of our slack goverment : angry:
Old 08-01-2009, 02:10 AM
G2RSR
Bodybuilding

Originally Posted by Burnzybubbles
yea were getting under cut big time, because they can go back home and live on penuts once they've finnished sharing a bedsit with half there mates, i don't want to sound racist but you'll find it's going on everywhere and i'm 99% correct, there is a few forigners out there doing a good job or even the job's most english wont do, but like i said 99% are taking advantage of our situation and where suffering big time because of it

i say this with confidence because when i worked on the westfield site there was 10,000 people working there and the graffiti on the toilet's was to say the least colourfull and alot of the imigrants from the EU had written explaining how much they enjoyed taking advantage of our slack goverment : angry:

What really does my head in is that they have no mortgage to pay or fuck all they is 10 living in a rented 3 bedroom house on my road

the rents split so they can work for less, at my work they even have polish coming in saying they will work for less money doing the same job

in away its just like saying give me his job and i will do it for less

Last edited by G2RSR; 08-01-2009 at 02:13 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:23 AM
burnzy
burnzy

Originally Posted by G2RSR
What really does my head in is that they have no mortgage to pay or fuck all they is 10 living in a rented 3 bedroom house on my road

the rents split so they can work for less, at my work they even have polish coming in saying they will work for less money doing the same job

in away its just like saying give me his job and i will do it for less
lol no the best is they don't even need a visa to work over here so at a time of recession, our country is still saying come on over and take our job's even though we perfectly no there isn't enough for the english citizens already living here and trying to make a nice life for themselves

were being truly ass invaded well that's my take on things any how
Old 08-01-2009, 02:37 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Theres no incentive for employers to take on british people as they have to pay us more. cash in hand to poles saves them loads of money. In the credit crunch as it is then it will continue in every industry they can get away with it.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:01 AM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Most of the 5000 eastern European's that were living in our city have moved back and only those that were able to settle in good full time employment have stayed.

Tough times at the minute and if you have a job think yourself lucky, i'm working in distribution yet qualified in IT/design.

Quick Reply: is there ANY work out there?