General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

how long would rabbits from a garden hutch last in the wild?

Search this Thread

Old 29-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AJC

but this also brings me onto my personel opinion of rabbits, guinea pigs etc, people buy them and novelty soon wears of, now regardless of ehat people say this happens everytime,

same goes for dogs all too often too. and cats etc.

i really really hate this as im an animal lover and hate to see them mistreated or released(people do it with dogs too)

if you are willing to take on a living creature you should realise the responsibilty as well.
Old 29-12-2008, 07:25 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicole
This is cruel in my opinion. They have been domesticated and will have no idea how to fend for themselves. They will have lost alot of their natural instincts. It's irresponsible and wrong!!! full stop.
Absolutely agree with this...

Cheers,
Grant
Old 29-12-2008, 07:27 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

but then theres the argument that should wild animals be kept caged as pets in the first place no matter how well they are looked after? they belong in the wild. can someone thats an 'animal lover ' really believe that keeping something locked in a 4foot cage 23.5 hours a day is good for it and happy life to lead?
that isnt animal loving, thats cruelty and they are bred to satisfy animal lovers selfish desires to imprison them just so they can have an furry animal to clap now and again.

Last edited by fuzzy; 29-12-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 29-12-2008, 07:33 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

I agree to a point... but this is an animal that has been brought up in captivity, so although it may have some instincts that remain, its inability to act on them renders it unsuitable to live in the wild.

I absolutely agree that wild animals, captured in the wild, shouldnt be kept in small cages etc... I even think that some Zoo setups are too small for bigger animals.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 29-12-2008, 07:35 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

but what about breeding animals solely for the purpose for selling so people can keep them caged as pets?
we had house cats that we got as kittens from a pet shop, never been outside in 12 years until we moved from our flat to our house with big garden, we let the cats out and right away they were hunting and killing birds mice etc. animals dont lose that killer instict.

Last edited by fuzzy; 29-12-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old 29-12-2008, 07:38 PM
gazm
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take em to a local school ?
Old 29-12-2008, 07:42 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Yea, but they're just fitting in with the other Edinburgh Cats... peer pressure, can't blame them for that Fuzzy.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 29-12-2008, 07:57 PM
BANNED
BANNED

mind you a funny way of thinking about it

you have been kept in a 20foot buy 20 foot cell all your life, boring as feck but you get water and repetitive food, it gets fucking hot in the summer and fecking freezing in the winter , you do see someone once a day when they change your water and feed you once a day, but you dont get let out or get to play with children etc, you have been doing this for say in human years maybe 50 with the same old crappy brick wall view

someone offeres you the chance were you can be set free experiance real life roam as you please but your more than likely going to die at some point it might be an hour it might be months but for the time your alive your free do the fuck you want

what would you do?

i know what id choose

funny innit but i half see her point of view but the other says so not fair they will die prob quite quickly

never the less she isnt going thee easy route shes gonna try a couple shelters etc on phone in morning

Last edited by 999; 29-12-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old 29-12-2008, 08:12 PM
stevenebm
post whore

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

oops just told my girlfriend this story.cant repeat what she saidme on the other hand doesnt care as i dont like the smelly wee fookers.will last one nite id say.
Old 29-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Rabbits can happily live in doors, forever. They make cool in door pets and are very domesticated.

Benni.
Old 29-12-2008, 08:49 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by AJC
year or so ago we released a white, brown and black rabbit into the wood behind our house, and i see it every now and then when walking the dog....

but this also brings me onto my personel opinion of rabbits, guinea pigs etc, people buy them and novelty soon wears of, now regardless of ehat people say this happens everytime, next thing the rabbit etc just spend a solitude life cooped up in a bit of 3 foot by 2 foot chip board which is more inhumane than the 'pets at home' people who sold it in the first place!!!!
indeedo.

fucks me off when i see my mates fat ugly sis and mum keep replacing rabbits, sticking them in a fucking wooden box in the garden and have the nerve to say its their pet. you silly mongs, that doesn't even happen to the worst rapists, pedo's and murderers... they get fooking playstations and gyms, why the hell would you stick a completely innocent animal in solitry confinment? fucking stupid humans! They now hate me coz i let them go last year when we were at a bbq, i was drunk and kept looking at the poor thing stuck in a box.

i already keep thinking im gonna get bad karma for having 2 dogs, even tho they have family around always and get shit loads of attention they should be free as wolves only go for walks 3-4 times a week especially in this weather

Last edited by cheeky dog; 29-12-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old 29-12-2008, 08:50 PM
morcheen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

have you never seen watership down ? fox food,gone in under an hour .
Old 29-12-2008, 08:52 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Just to add to thread starter, if your sis has got em stuck in a hatch all day long then let the little things free, even if they die in hours they were free souls before they got got by a fox. they probably wish they were dead anyway. poor lil creatures.

keeping pets in cages should be banned.
Old 29-12-2008, 08:53 PM
dangerousbrian
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by clarke5700
thats funny all the things that nicole brout up the rabbit seemed to have expirenced???? i think not mate

i think if you sis tryed a bit harder she could give them away

i dont think what your doing is right imo you sis should have relised how long they live for beford she bort the rabbits
so what your saying is nobody with a rabbit has ever decided to change the style of their garden and doesnt have a relative who has a dog??
Old 29-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by cheeky dog
indeedo.

i already keep thinking im gonna get bad karma for having 2 dogs, even tho they have family around always and get shit loads of attention they should be free as wolves only go for walks 3-4 times a week especially in this weather

dogs are fine as pets as long as they are treated right. my two get 2 walks a day what ever the weather!rain,snow,sun, i dont care.
they need structure and need to keep their minds active.
i jog with them and they have loads of toys and chews.and tbh i let them hunt the voles in the fields if they can be quick enough to get them.keeps their prey drive saticfied.
and mine are more like a wolf than most people realise. time and efoort and consistancy is the important thing
Old 29-12-2008, 08:58 PM
davebigden

Originally Posted by SO COSSIE
If she is going to go to the new forest why not take them just down the road to verwood R.S.P.C.A near ringwood they have a big area for rabbits all she has to do is take them there and drop them off.
But for FUCK sake DO NOT let them go in the woods
animals r four life not just four christmas in my eys
Old 29-12-2008, 09:03 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

animals are for dinner not just for christmas.
Old 29-12-2008, 09:03 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Bullett
dogs are fine as pets as long as they are treated right. my two get 2 walks a day what ever the weather!rain,snow,sun, i dont care.
they need structure and need to keep their minds active.
i jog with them and they have loads of toys and chews.and tbh i let them hunt the voles in the fields if they can be quick enough to get them.keeps their prey drive saticfied.
and mine are more like a wolf than most people realise. time and efoort and consistancy is the important thing
i've had dogs a few years now but i keep thinking may be they should be free rather than sleeping in the garden or inside in there time! i know you cant relese doggies in the wild but you get what i mean, lol

the dogs get more love than me food, toys etc but just not the freedom to be wild! may be im thinking a bit silly but thats just me
Old 29-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

cheeky,dogs are fine mate. like i say im a big animal lover,and there are certain animals that tbh dont do well be in captivity.
bears go out of their mind due to the fact that they are solitary roamers. tigers are not so bad but tbh are so unpredictableits difficult to keepthem and trust them.they are solitary and can flip when ever they want.
elephants are another big roamer.that tbh dont like being in captivity.(honestly the only animal im afraid of if they are angry)

wolves can be adaptable even though they are a roamer because they are a pack animal and rely on the pack for comfort and support etc.
the same goes for lions.again very very pack orientated so its not bad for them.

cheetahs are even easier,they are so easy going that they can be befriended from wild.

ok some zoo's arent good but most ive been to are doing alot for conservation too and regenerating the species.
barbary lions are extint in the wild and white lions are near.without some of theses places they wouldnt be here at all.and some have even helped to bring back extinct in the wild species,ie certain birds etc.

unfortunately man has played god by hunting for fun and killing them off.but we are also playing god by bringing them back. is it right? i dont know but im glad they are.

most dogs would survive in the wild if it werent for cars etc as they are scavenegers but it depends on the dog and its breeding. mine would no doubt be ok but a west thats held in its "mummy's" arms all the time wouldnt have a bloody clue
Old 29-12-2008, 09:20 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by fuzzy
its cruel, possibly, but what does it really matter. its a rabbit and itll sacrifice its life so some other wildlife can have a hearty meal and possibly survive itself. thats nature.
If it was a wild animal then yes, thats nature, but as its a 'pet' then its not nature, its just cruel in my opinion.

As said, just take them to a pet shop or rspca or something. Imagine how you'd feel being dragged out of your bed at night and dumped outside in the woods at this time of year!!!!!
Old 29-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

This is cruel in my opinion. They have been domesticated and will have no idea how to fend for themselves. They will have lost alot of their natural instincts. It's irresponsible and wrong!!! full stop.

BINGO!!

Jesus christ people like this piss me off! If youre gonna get a living animal.. then you should know the full extend of the responsibility before you get them!

Tell her to take them to a rescue centre FFS they'll die in the wild.
Old 29-12-2008, 10:47 PM
melinamotor
Farpylee

Near where I used to reside there was a place called Waverley Abbey, at some stage in the past domesticated rabbits were released into the wild. There are black one's brown one's and even white one's running around, hundreds of them. The term breed like rabbits is a true one..your sisters rabbits might adapt ok.
Old 29-12-2008, 10:55 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

be better off dumping them on the M1,,,,, got more of a chance imo
Old 30-12-2008, 06:58 AM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally
well done for telling her whats what, it's a supid thing to do.
Old 30-12-2008, 07:01 AM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

My view too.
Old 30-12-2008, 07:42 AM
Nash_mr2
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

animals, humans, fish etc dont "Loose" natural instincts, they are genetically programmed into us. if we get cold, we attempt to warm ourselves up.....when we are hungry we look for food, animals are the same. Ofcourse the rabbits in question will have all of their natural abilities in tact but what they wont have is an undrstanding of the wild. they will survive while it's daylight, eating grass etc but when the night comes they'll probably be eaten by a Fox or an Owl - unless they find an abandonned burrow.

in closing. releasing domesticated animals into the wild is not a good idea, but it may ofcourse be the only option, so i am on the fence with this one.
Old 30-12-2008, 08:57 AM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Originally Posted by messenger
BINGO!!

Jesus christ people like this piss me off! If youre gonna get a living animal.. then you should know the full extend of the responsibility before you get them!
I think your hoping for a little to much in reality.
Half of the population get Children without knowing the full extend of the responsibility before they have them, so what chance has any animal got
Old 30-12-2008, 09:27 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Nash_mr2
animals, humans, fish etc dont "Loose" natural instincts, they are genetically programmed into us. if we get cold, we attempt to warm ourselves up.....when we are hungry we look for food, animals are the same.

Why don't you head off to Dartmoor with fuck all then. See you in a week say?
Old 30-12-2008, 09:31 AM
Nash_mr2
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by Oranoco
Why don't you head off to Dartmoor with fuck all then. See you in a week say?
for a human to survive on dartmore would be quite easy, could set traps to catch animals for food, could build a shelter, cant see it being too hard.

as for the rabbits, no doubt they were fasionable colors White/Black etc totally un/natural and thus not offering them any camouflage what so ever so they are going to be very easy pickings indeed for whatever wants to eat them.
Old 30-12-2008, 09:45 AM
Hank Moody
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

ive come across lots of half breed domesticated/wild rabbits while out hunting, and even a few previous 'pets' with groups of wild rabbits

so a lot of you are assuming things without actually knowing, the biggest danger to a domestic rabbit released into the wild is indeed HUMANS as they do not associate them with danger from continous contact previously
Old 30-12-2008, 10:07 AM
RSTurboSI
BANNED
BANNED

a rabbit can handle wild, its proven with a tracker injected into there neck.
a rabbit maybe a pet but there also wild amimals weather never been let out or never even fend for them selves. they can withstand being in the cold with there coats and they can get away from any fox. they get used to being around humens as there pets but they also know whats danger and when in danger just like a dog. they learn there ways in matter of minutes and can easly addapet to the wild life. rabbits are very clever and aslong as there not over wight and had some moving about they will be fine.

its like you lot... you dont ride a bike for 10years then step onto one, you adapt..
set any person into a place they dont know such as a forest and you will adapt and fend for yourself. its the way of life and thats sometimes how things happen.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Cola
PassionFord Post Whore!!

They won't stand a chance as have been bred domestically. It's like dogs - they may have decended from wolves but if they've got used to the finer things in life like leather sofas, and they've only had to hunt out their food bowl, they'd be screwed.

PS: Bless Simon
Old 02-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

At least the rabbit will die happy.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:48 PM
cossiecrew
PassionFord Post Whore!!

if you wasnt so far away i would of had them quick break of the neck and in the chest freezer least its a quick death
Old 02-01-2009, 01:04 PM
BANNED
BANNED

she let them go chaps sorry, she told me one thing and done the other

however i did find out were, so i went to the spot this morning 2 days after for a look, i spent 30 mins walking around the area in bushes etc saw no dead rabbits or blood so maybe thats a possitive thing, in the hedges between the fields theres reasonable sized holes going down would that be rabbit burrows? be a stroke of luck if she let em go were theres loads rabbits

but from all accounts to the best of my knowledge there didnt die, unless of course a fox killed em without making a mess and carrying them off, i doubt that though, fox's dont give a fuck they will kill everything and make a hell of a mess
Old 02-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Daveyboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

you keep telling yourself they're alright mate

ignorance is bliss eh
Old 02-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

Sorry fella but your sis is a twat.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Redeye Jedi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by 999
however i did find out were, so i went to the spot this morning 2 days after for a look, i spent 30 mins walking around the area in bushes etc saw no dead rabbits or blood so maybe thats a possitive thing, in the hedges between the fields theres reasonable sized holes going down would that be rabbit burrows? be a stroke of luck if she let em go were theres loads rabbits

but from all accounts to the best of my knowledge there didnt die, unless of course a fox killed em without making a mess and carrying them off, i doubt that though, fox's dont give a fuck they will kill everything and make a hell of a mess
I cant believe i have just read this?! So after much deliberation your sister let them go anyhow, then u went down to the release site TWO DAYS after?! What were u expecting to find exactly, them both sitting there wondering what the fucks going on?! LOL!! And id say its pretty likely that if a fox was to have them, it WOULD take them away prior to eating......
Old 02-01-2009, 01:21 PM
BANNED
BANNED

i just wanted to see it made me feel uncomfterble that she let em go and i had to see if i could see anything thats all

got fuck all to do with me so dont have a go at me
Old 02-01-2009, 01:26 PM
f6cus
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

they have a better chance of surviving that alot of people think there rabbits around were i live brown and white i have seen them there for years and there are aload of foxes round there too if there are wild rabbits were they were released they have a very good chance

Last edited by f6cus; 02-01-2009 at 01:29 PM.

Quick Reply: how long would rabbits from a garden hutch last in the wild?