General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fiesta zetec s..

Search this Thread

Old 15-12-2008, 04:55 PM
bonus_boy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fiesta zetec s..

can anyone give me any info on these please..

used google and the sites etc but nothing can beat figures and oppinions of people that own or have..

what they like on fuel?

the phase 2 is more on tax then the phase 1?

build quailty?

things that are common problems?

cheers
Old 15-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Ad4m RST
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

www.zsoc.com

Old 15-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

Depends which Mk you mean...
Old 15-12-2008, 04:59 PM
SteveH
BANNED
BANNED

I heard the crank goes at about 40k in the early ones, not sure how true that is though.

I had one on a W plate, buckets and harnesses, poly bushed, springs etc. fucking loved it, apart from it feeling completely gutless. I had just sold my 350bhp saff though.

Good little car, I'd have another
Old 15-12-2008, 05:02 PM
bonus_boy
PassionFord Post Troll

its the mk5 il be getting phase 2..
Old 15-12-2008, 05:09 PM
Jimbo.
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah get yourself onto zsoc.com, loads and loads of info on there, I have a phase 2 in imperial blue.

One of the most common problems you will hear about is the HCV, heater control valve going. It will either just blow out hot or cold air, not an expensive part and fairly easy to fit so not a that big issue. Check for rust in the usuall places, rear arch etc.

Phase 2 is definetly the one to have as it has the darker interior, blacktop engine which is know for being stronger than the phase 1, also has the smaller centre caps on the wheels which look better.

I tend to get anywhere between 290 and 320 miles from a tank, and thats mostly town driving.

Check out the forum and do a search on there for anything you need to know

Last edited by Jimbo.; 15-12-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 15-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Shorty
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I thought u was getting a Golf?
Old 15-12-2008, 05:52 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Nice cars imo. Was going to get one before looking at focuses but things that put me off were they are small compared to the focus and also 1.6 engine is revvy but hasn't got a shitload of torque and also isn't the most responsive to tuning. I'd still like one though and put ITBs on it and cams
Old 15-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am looking into one for a track project
Old 15-12-2008, 06:02 PM
hitchwest

the mrs has got one done 40,000 miles been spot on very quick and nippy not bad on fuel
Old 15-12-2008, 06:07 PM
OldDan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pani_k
Nice cars imo. Was going to get one before looking at focuses but things that put me off were they are small compared to the focus and also 1.6 engine is revvy but hasn't got a shitload of torque and also isn't the most responsive to tuning. I'd still like one though and put ITBs on it and cams
Since when?????

The ph2 is cheaper on tax than the ph1, Ph2 uses two lambda sensors for better controlling of emissions hence the tax.

The biggest problem with the phase one was the big end bearings being a little delicate, but if looked after and topped up with oil they are fine.

Biggest difference between the ph1 and ph2 engine is the head. Ph2 has slightly longer valve stems and uses a one peice bucket which means you can use top hat shims if camming with repro's.

Ph1 used a two peice and were harder to shim, and often lead to the buckets/shims toppling over. Solve this with blank cams that don't need such big clearances made up.

HCV goes, but they're pretty cheap and easy to fit. this can lead to overheating sometimes, and either cold or hot air (either not both!) blowing out the heaters.

The engines are revvy with a nice amount of low down torque (for a 1.6 NA) and responde to tuning well. Hence why they're used in many kit cars!

Loads of parts available for them now too which is a bonus. Ph2 has boot release button, revised engine, darker interior, difference wheels, slightly different front grille (plastic as appose to steel)2 lambda sensors, and probably a few other bits I've missed.

They can be pretty good on fuel IIRC!

Build quality is far better than the equivilant french cars (106/saxo)

Gearchange is lovely as is the steering. Set of decent tyres and you can have some major fun down back roads in them.

I'd personally stick with the 195/50 tyres and 15" wheels, otherwise handling goes to pot a little.

Rust is usually found on back arches (not too common) the bootlid on the inside on some cars (some!) just below the rear light. And on the sills, lift back the rubber on the sill and chances are it'll have some patches of rust.
Old 15-12-2008, 06:09 PM
Paul_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

The engine is actually very good! Far better than the iron blocked zetecs. You can get a lot of power from them, but it'll cost you a few thousand.
Old 15-12-2008, 06:14 PM
hitchwest

the rear spoilers bubble up had ours painted twice now really annoying a lot went back under warranty but ours was out of warranty when we bought it
Old 15-12-2008, 08:15 PM
bonus_boy
PassionFord Post Troll

ive heard they use alot of oil :S
Old 15-12-2008, 08:34 PM
OldDan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aye if the rings/valve stem seals have gone!
Old 16-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Hardeep_Singh
PassionFord Post Troll

hcv valve problem is the worst problem on the car, i've been through around 5 -6 now everytime trying the new versions out and they screw up which has made me very paranoid about the car during long motorway journeys therefore dont trust it much just incase the hcv decideds to mess around and the temp needle starts to rise. The car is lovley otherwsie but due to this headache and fords inablility to fix it once and for all and then charging there customers Ł35 each time for it has pissed me off, its the hassle of going to fords getting some unhelpfull parts guy, changing it then rebleeding the system wasting petrol while doing it and like i said above the
Paranoia of it messing up on an important journey some where means i wouldnt recommend it to anyone or buy another again

i have a phase 2 in black 40k on the clock ffsh 1 owner from new so mine isnt the regular ragged around thats about
Old 16-12-2008, 10:53 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Hardeep. You need the 96 part number if you can get it. I just used to clean my old one out, it's only because they get clogged up with silt in the coolant or the springs go weak.

Easily tuneable with cams to 150bhp and a remap.......loads of torque for what it is and a very good torque curve.

Theres lots of common misconceptions on here

Robust and tuneable as hell
Old 16-12-2008, 11:07 AM
Ad4m RST
BANNED
BANNED

Nice cars imo. Was going to get one before looking at focuses but things that put me off were they are small compared to the focus and also 1.6 engine is revvy but hasn't got a shitload of torque and also isn't the most responsive to tuning.
Have you actually driven one?
Old 16-12-2008, 11:09 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My missus has one and its been superb, she got a black phase 1 W plater. 66k and no major issues!! Good on petrol as well!!
Old 16-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Hardeep_Singh
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Mondeo Man
Hardeep. You need the 96 part number if you can get it. I just used to clean my old one out, it's only because they get clogged up with silt in the coolant or the springs go weak.

Easily tuneable with cams to 150bhp and a remap.......loads of torque for what it is and a very good torque curve.

Theres lots of common misconceptions on here

Robust and tuneable as hell
i've got the latest version on now seems to be ok sofar but so did the last version then it went too during a motor way run to leicester from london, i've tried taking old ones apart cleaning them up but it never works, well for me they never have!
Old 16-12-2008, 11:14 AM
madmack99
I Love BooST

nice car there is one driving around my area silver low as fook and on black comps it looks nice but not that low
Old 16-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Good fun cars. early ones can suffer from spinning big end shells.

Also when you're at a car show and some twat is bouncing their car off the rev limiter for no reason it's always somebody in a ZS
Old 16-12-2008, 11:24 AM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by Hardeep_Singh
i've got the latest version on now seems to be ok sofar but so did the last version then it went too during a motor way run to leicester from london, i've tried taking old ones apart cleaning them up but it never works, well for me they never have!
Might be worth flushing your coolant system if the keep failing
Old 16-12-2008, 11:27 AM
zedtechs
Regular Contributor

I owned two of these from brand-new

Phase-1) Lasted me well and was a general nice motor until I sold it

Phase-2) Imp blue, lovely ph2 wheels much nicer than ph1, however I had nothing but PROBLEMS with this car

1) Found rust under the rubber seal in the weld joint, this is in the middle of the runner when you open the door apperently a common problem, when I was a member of the ZSOC they were starting a pertition (don't know how far it went)

2) Engine after 15,000 miles decides to spill it's guts out the back and empty it's oil contents all over my drive (not a mechanic) engine made large knocking noises and would go thorough a new load of oil each week. Luckily under warrenty Ford replaced the engine but would NOT guarentee the new one (which after I sold it went wrong for my mate and Fords would not even except it as part ex)

3) Lambda sensor (If I remember its called that) was always going wrong you would drive along then all of a sudden the car would be revving like mad but only tarvelling at 15mph.

So if it was me I would have the phase 1, although the phase 2 does look nicer. In general they are nice nippy little runarounds and better than a lot for the money.

rgds

Last edited by zedtechs; 16-12-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Old 16-12-2008, 11:29 AM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by Oranoco
Good fun cars. early ones can suffer from spinning big end shells.

Also when you're at a car show and some twat is bouncing their car off the rev limiter for no reason it's always somebody in a ZS

Agreed, quite a lot of bell end owners, as they're so cheap to insure.

I have been on fiesta forums for over 6 years and owned one for 5 and didnt hear of big end bearings being spun.

The early ones had less float on the crank end bearing leading to a few premature failures.

Most failure came from twats ignoring massive oil consumption (due to worn valve stem seals) then spinning a shell because they were low on oil.

Serviced properly and maintained properly they are bullet proof. Mine saw the limiter every day for 5 years and was thrashed everywhere. Still going sweet as a nut with its new owner over 100k now. Although i did treat it to new oil/filter every 5k
Old 16-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Hardeep_Singh
PassionFord Post Troll

Might be worth flushing your coolant system if the keep failing
yep done all that three times now water is crystal clear always use good quality antifreeze aswell, i've messed around with this problem alot to fix it, like i said its working fine at the mo but i dont think these hcv have a long working life tbo.
Old 16-12-2008, 11:32 AM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by Hardeep_Singh
yep done all that three times now water is crystal clear always use good quality antifreeze aswell, i've messed around with this problem alot to fix it, like i said its working fine at the mo but i dont think these hcv have a long working life tbo.
Agreed, they are a shit design IMO
Old 16-12-2008, 11:33 AM
Hardeep_Singh
PassionFord Post Troll

Agreed, they are a shit design IMO
thats ford for you
Old 08-09-2010, 05:34 PM
ianbatch

ive had a 51 plate for the last 4 years and the only problem i had was the coil pack.other than that its been spot on.doesnt use oil and it takes a beating but dont miss a beat.