General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

anyone had NERVE pain in the arm? but the arm isnt causing it? UPDATE POST 24! PAGE 1

Search this Thread

Old 14-12-2008, 10:44 AM
paceo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question anyone had NERVE pain in the arm? but the arm isnt causing it? UPDATE POST 24! PAGE 1

just want to know really guys, as some of you know i have a terrible nerve problem in my arm, but i went to kings hispital the other day but he wouldnt really give the results to me, i have my assesment in january!

i just want nerve problems only guys!

Last edited by paceo; 05-03-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old 14-12-2008, 10:47 AM
righthooker
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

me, set off from my lower right side of my back.
When i sit a certainn way i get a stabbing pain from my left shoulder to my elbow, wiered as fook
Old 14-12-2008, 10:50 AM
madsi
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

neck or shoulder can cause problams in the arm as well mate
Old 14-12-2008, 10:51 AM
paceo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by righthooker
me, set off from my lower right side of my back.
When i sit a certainn way i get a stabbing pain from my left shoulder to my elbow, wiered as fook
how did the hospital find this? nerve tests? did you have any muscle wasting? what nerve was causing the pain?

did the pain come from your bicep by your armpit area or the other side?

sorry for the questions mate
Old 14-12-2008, 10:52 AM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

last week i came home from work and the following morning had stabbing pains in my lower back(in the left side of my arse, dont laugh!) anyway i put it down to heavy lifting at work as i did some the day before, and i was walking like an old man for a week and getting up/ sitting down hurt aswell, but after a week it went away thank fuck!

Didnt go to hospital or anything..........
Old 14-12-2008, 12:20 PM
paceo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

up
Old 14-12-2008, 12:27 PM
jpblue
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a thecal sack inflamation in my spine which is like a donut between the vertebrae which holds the spinal column nerves in place. When the sac inflated due to a strain it put pressure on he nerves. It felt like my elbow and shoulder had been bent backwards and then thumped with a hammer.
Anti-inflamitories and training in sitting correctly at work fixed it, but I will always have the problem. Damn it as it has to be managed!
Strangely the original injury occurred by driving the race car without stretching first after a few months off while driving the tow car. Sign of getting old Im afraid

Good luck but dont panic.

JP
Old 14-12-2008, 01:49 PM
jonnyboy
PassionFord Regular

i'm having a similar problem now,shooting pains down the left arm,pins and needles in the left forearm/hand.
booked into se a chiroprator on tuesday morning,i will keep you informed of the progress.
suspect trapped nevre in my neck causing the problems
Old 14-12-2008, 02:54 PM
Fezza
H71 CNX

I have cervical spondilosis. This causes a patch of anesthesed flesh over C4 + C5, with pain / numbness being continual down the arms following the path of the main proximal and distal nerve. Lack of feeling in the little, ring and middle finger of left hand along with corresponding palm. Pins and needles when sleeping in both arms, severe enough to cause one to wake.

Pain can sometimes feel like a cricket ball in ones armpit (sensation of pressure that can make one feel sick).

Due to have nerve resistance tests in January.

My father is disabled in both hands from the same thing. He is too old to have the operation whereby the nodules of bone on the spine which are crushing the nerve are ground away. Im hoping to have the operation because this pain can be excrutiating and debilitating with the loss of sensation. I am already losing dexterity in my left hand (the picking up / holding of small or fiddly items is almost imposible) and I find myself becoming more and more clumsy in that hand.

(sounds strange I know, pain and a loss of feeling, but thats the only way I can describe it. If I hold a cold can of coke,m I can only feel it through my thumb and first finger of my hand. The rest is numb to the sensation of holding the can, but painful due to the extreme of temperature...)

Last edited by Fezza; 14-12-2008 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Typing is difficult too at times...
Old 14-12-2008, 05:17 PM
paceo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

fezza, that is a good point, it feels like a cricket ball in my bicep by the armpit area, and pressure by the funnybone and elbow area.

i have my nerve conduction tests done wednesday but he wouldnt give too much information away to me, i have the clawing of the small and ring finger and 100% numbness of the inner forearm which 100% indicates ulnar nerve compression at the elbow, but severe muscle wasting the opposite side of what the ulnar nerve controlls, the wasting is on the side the median/radial nerve controll which is strange, so its 2 different syptoms i MAY think i have.

the reason i ask about this that i think i have 2 different syptoms is that all the nerves are around the spine area which i believe it may be the spine/neck where the problem is that something is trapping my 2 nerves!

Old 14-12-2008, 05:54 PM
Fezza
H71 CNX

Both of the symptoms / signs that you describe indicate nerve damage / trapping in the neck area, C8 or T1 nerve roots. This would explain why you feel the pressure in your armpit as well as the numbness in your inner forearm (which was a sign / symptom I also have. The skin feels dead there, as if I have leant on my elbow for too long...) and the clawing of your fingers.

Both the Ulnal and Median/Radial nerves travel closely together from emerging between vertibre in the neck, over and under the clavicle, through the armpit to the elbow. Here they diverge as you know, the ulnal taking a path along the inner forearm, with the medial/radial taking a path between the ulna and radius to the wrist and on to the thumb, forefinger, middle finger and the inside edge of the ring finger...
The distal ulnal nerve branches to the little finger and the outer edge of the ring finger.

By narrowing down the areas of numbness, from the armpit, you could possibly draw a shaded diagram for the doctor to indocate accurately the types of sensation / numbness / pain that you get in each area of your arm.

This would be a help in the diagnosis and the treatment, as nerve damage could be anything from long-term degenerative to short term 'funny bone' knocks.

The more info you can give to the doc the better.

But imho, I would hazard a guess at neck area nerve compression. If it was elbow, it could be either nerve, depending on which part of the elbow was damaged (ulnal being the 'funny bone' area joint internals, medial/radial traveling outside the joint)

But, i'm not a doctor (just a nurse).

Last edited by Fezza; 14-12-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 14-12-2008, 06:02 PM
paceo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Fezza
Both of the symptoms / signs that you describe indicate nerve damage / trapping in the neck area, C4 -> C6. This would explain why you feel the pressure in your armpit as well as the numbness in your inner forearm (which was a sign I also have. The skin feels dead there, as if I have leant on my elbow for too long...) and the clawing of your fingers.
i went to see a professor up at kings college hospital on monday last week for my nerve condiction tests, he didnt let too much slip though! i know it sounds stupid but my neck and back feel fine but i know its not the case, he did say i have to have a mri scan of my back and my neck as well.

as i say i think 2 nerves are trapped as i have symptoms of ulnar and median nerve problems, well i have every sign of ulnar nerve from what i read! also when its cold i have immence trouble picking up stuff with my fingers that the median nerve controlls which is the log and index finger.

problem is i have been in and out of hospital for 4 years now i went to see orphapedic, neurology, rheumatolic, neurology again and they couldnt figure out what was wrong! it was my last appointment i went to see someone very high up in the NHS, she was absolutely disgusted they did not spot the muscle wasteage, i didnt know, i just thought it was part of me to be honest and didnt mention the wasting! if they did from day 1 i would have been cured now!
Old 14-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Fezza
H71 CNX

I tend to tell my doctor what is wrong with me, and we negotiate a treatment plan (one of the advantages of having nurse training, I suppose). The paternalistic approach (where the doctor tells you what is wrong and gives you treatment) can lead to long episodes of mis-diagnosis etc. Doctors don't know everything

Remember the pain / pressure you said you felt in your armpit? Damage to the elbow region of the ulnal or median / radial nerves would be indicated further down the arm, not further up the arm...

My neck feels fine too, but I do tend to find myself hunching forwards slightly when reading or sitting at the PC, which when I staigten up leads to pins and needles in my arm.

Do you also get temperature variations across your hand? For example, most of your hand being warm, whilst the ulnal part of your palm, little finger and ring finger feeling cold, despite them actually being warm to the touch?

Last edited by Fezza; 14-12-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 14-12-2008, 06:22 PM
paceo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I tend to tell my doctor what is wrong with me, and we negotiate a treatment plan (one of the advantages of having nurse training, I suppose). The paternalistic approach (where the doctor tells you what is wrong and gives you treatment) can lead to long episodes of mis-diagnosis etc. Doctors don't know everything

Do you also get temperature variations across your hand? For example, most of your hand being warm, whilst the ulnal part of your palm, little finger and ring finger feeling cold, despite them actually being warm to the touch?
yes but my whole hand is stone cold all of the time, thats another thing i forgot to mention!
Old 14-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Fezza
H71 CNX

Interestingly, the symptoms you describe could also be indicative of carpal tunnel syndrome, except for the proximal pressure. http://www.ganfyd.org/index.php?titl...unnel_syndrome

Being that the above is an inflamation of the carpal tunnels through which nerves , arteries and veins run, could mean that part of the sheath of the nerves further up your arm / shoulder / neck is inflamed / damaged, perhaps putting pressure upon the brachial artery which supplies blood to the hand (hence the coldness).

The brachial artery and the ulnal and medain/radial nerves are all coming from the same area, the armpit / clavicle area. The brachial plexus is the network of nerves emerging from the C5 to T2 areas of the spinal column which not only branch into the ulnal, medain/radial nerves, but that also control the bloodflow to the arm /hand!

Old 14-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Fezza
H71 CNX

Oh, and also this might be useful. It is a list of places on the body that numbness can indicate a particular issue...'taken from http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/sym/numbness.htm '

Carpal tunnel syndrome causes numbness of the pulps of the thumb, index, middle and half of the ring finger; peripheral neuropathy typically causes a glove and stocking sensory loss to hands and feet; C8 spinal cord or nerve root lesion causes numbness of the little finger; C7 spinal cord or nerve root lesion cause numbness of the middle finger; C6 spinal cord or nerve root lesion causes numbness of the outer side of the forearm and thumb; ...
Old 14-12-2008, 07:12 PM
paceo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

funnily enough i have the tingling in the hand which is carpal tunnel as well mate (i am having this done, but my nerve doctor said she wants to see my nerve test reults first), but this does not cause excess muscle wastage as i have!

good point about blood flow, i forgot to tell the professor on monday but my neorologist who is assensing me with the results in january alredy knows about my cold hand!

saying that, my hand is perfectly warm now! its wierd, mostly cold all the time and when cold grip is useless!
Old 14-12-2008, 07:19 PM
paceo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

another point mate, it seems to fucking hurt badly when driving when the arm is raised, but using a mouse on a computer is mild pain, driving is like ive been shot in the armpit and elbow area, its that bad i have to get out of the car.

also when in pain it hurts when i breathe, taking in air expands the body and it kills!
Old 16-12-2008, 11:14 AM
jonnyboy
PassionFord Regular

update on mine is the chiropractor thinks i have o prolapsed disc in my neck.off to the docs for a referral for a mri scan at 3 o'clock
Old 16-12-2008, 11:35 AM
rocky_robin
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

My mum is going to have a op on the 29th Dec due to a nerve issue that started in her upper arm.
After many tests, they have finally sussed that it is her neck that is the issue.

I'm not 100% whats happening other than they will be removing a disc in her spine / neck due to the nerves.

Soz I don't have any more info, but by reading the above, many know what they are talking about to try and help you.
Old 16-12-2008, 01:13 PM
paceo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by rocky_robin
My mum is going to have a op on the 29th Dec due to a nerve issue that started in her upper arm.
After many tests, they have finally sussed that it is her neck that is the issue.

I'm not 100% whats happening other than they will be removing a disc in her spine / neck due to the nerves.

Soz I don't have any more info, but by reading the above, many know what they are talking about to try and help you.
what side of the upper arm? shoulder or the armpit area?
Old 05-03-2009, 08:00 AM
paceo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Both of the symptoms / signs that you describe indicate nerve damage / trapping in the neck area, C8 or T1 nerve roots. This would explain why you feel the pressure in your armpit as well as the numbness in your inner forearm (which was a sign / symptom I also have. The skin feels dead there, as if I have leant on my elbow for too long...) and the clawing of your fingers.

Both the Ulnal and Median/Radial nerves travel closely together from emerging between vertibre in the neck, over and under the clavicle, through the armpit to the elbow. Here they diverge as you know, the ulnal taking a path along the inner forearm, with the medial/radial taking a path between the ulna and radius to the wrist and on to the thumb, forefinger, middle finger and the inside edge of the ring finger...
The distal ulnal nerve branches to the little finger and the outer edge of the ring finger.

By narrowing down the areas of numbness, from the armpit, you could possibly draw a shaded diagram for the doctor to indocate accurately the types of sensation / numbness / pain that you get in each area of your arm.

This would be a help in the diagnosis and the treatment, as nerve damage could be anything from long-term degenerative to short term 'funny bone' knocks.

The more info you can give to the doc the better.

But imho, I would hazard a guess at neck area nerve compression. If it was elbow, it could be either nerve, depending on which part of the elbow was damaged (ulnal being the 'funny bone' area joint internals, medial/radial traveling outside the joint)

But, i'm not a doctor (just a nurse).
hi fezza, should update you, had the nerve conduction tests by a professor at kings hospital on my radial, median and ulnar nerves in my right arm from armpit to hand, guess what, absolutely no problems found in my arm which complicates the process now, so they MRI scanned my cervical spine (neck) and brachial plexus. i get my results on april 9th.

got some indications of what they think is wrong -

1. cervical rib, extra rib in the neck causing pressure on nerves, had the x-ray now and no extra rib found

2. possible nerve tumor on T1 nerve root, T1 is the root where all the nerves to your arm form from.

3. dislodged vertibrae in the spine causing pressure on nerves to arm - http://www.allaboutbackpain.com/html...culopathy.html

4. some neuromuscular disease - i havent looked into this as such.

hopefully they find something with my MRI scans
Old 05-03-2009, 10:57 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to take opiates everyday due to neuromuscular pain, my mucles are in constant spasm, take tramadol everyday, plus lots of others.
By jesus is it painful, causing hypnick jerks all the time as well, but only when tired.
Found out all my pain was from stretched and damaged ligaments and tendons in my back, was slammed against a oak tree by a car.
Good luck, I had all the nerve conduction studies done, but all clear as was mri and ct.
Now seeing a specialist about charia bar syndrome(sp), where the skull around the spine area starts growing again, can happen after severe trauma, and inpinges on the whole spinal chord.
tabetha