General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

What credit crunch LOL?

Search this Thread

Old 27-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What credit crunch LOL?

We're doing the steelwork for six buildings just down the road from our workshop, and the guy who we're doing the work for has just come to see how the foundations are coming along.

He has just landed his helicopter at the back of the site .
Old 27-11-2008, 12:47 PM
porksword69
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The women I see shopping in Laura Ashley when I'm doing their tills havent heard of the credit crunch either.
Old 27-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird

He has just landed his helicopter at the back of the site .

did it make yours look little?
Old 27-11-2008, 01:01 PM
kay2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is still plenty of money about, the people who have cash still have it mostly, its the people that liked to spend what that didnt have, i.e. remortgaging houses to pay for new cars and holidays they couldnt otherwise afford!

This though has had a knock on affect on other sectors unfortunately!

I think though people had forgotten how much money was actually worth, if people tried to save for a 20000 pound car it would take years but people just started to think oh its only Ł299 a month!

When Iwas a kid playing spot new reg plates when they came out once a year was the fun thing when on a long journey with my dad, and when you saw a BMW,Jag,Merc, Porsche, you were aw struck because you knew they had money!

Suddeny every idiot with a property that had gone up in value was suddenly driving luxery cars and having once in a lifetime holidays yearly!

Now they are all crying that they are in negative equity and cant afford the mortgage!!

Tough shit, should have been realistic about what they could afford!

I do feel sorry for the genuine cases of poor fortune, but in life there are ups and downs!
Old 27-11-2008, 01:01 PM
BillyCabrio
10K+ Poster!!

Location: Dartford, Kent - Home of the two way one way system.

Need any labourers? lol

Willing to relocate
Old 27-11-2008, 01:08 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by kay2
There is still plenty of money about, the people who have cash still have it mostly, its the people that liked to spend what that didnt have, i.e. remortgaging houses to pay for new cars and holidays they couldnt otherwise afford!

I think though people had forgotten how much money was actually worth, if people tried to save for a 20000 pound car it would take years but people just started to think oh its only Ł299 a month!

When Iwas a kid playing spot new reg plates when they came out once a year was the fun thing when on a long journey with my dad, and when you saw a BMW,Jag,Merc, Porsche, you were aw struck because you knew they had money!

Suddeny every idiot with a property that had gone up in value was suddenly driving luxery cars and having once in a lifetime holidays yearly!

Now they are all crying that they are in negative equity and cant afford the mortgage!!

I do feel sorry for the genuine cases of poor fortune, but in life there are ups and downs!
spot on

btw, i went to a bloke a few months ago who was moving house to somewhere up north, and he had two helicopters, his and hers
Old 27-11-2008, 01:12 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

This is so true mate, well written

Steve.
Old 27-11-2008, 01:14 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Mike do you won a steelwork company as well?
Old 27-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by carlo
Mike do you won a steelwork company as well?
Family run business .
Old 27-11-2008, 01:19 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Cool
Old 27-11-2008, 01:24 PM
RWD Pete
Banned
BANNED

Thats it mate, and now they are all blaming the goverment for there cock ups, my only debt is my mortgage
Old 27-11-2008, 01:27 PM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

spot on!! there are several people at my work that have ended up in that position, relying on overtime to pay the bills, now there weekly wage has halfed, they are fooked. I can honestly say that this credit crunch has not effected me one bit!
Old 27-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Grahamxx
PassionFord Regular

Personally I blame the press/TV news, yes the world’s in a little trouble, but it’s been rammed in our faces all the time, so making folk very nervous to spend money...
Old 27-11-2008, 01:40 PM
porksword69

Well I lost my job because of it. So I'm sick of hearing about it to be honest.
Old 27-11-2008, 01:41 PM
kay2

exactly, im lucky enough to earn over the national average however when I came to buying my first property two years ago I could have got 180000 mortgage however I dont need a massive house and dont have the time for gardening and that level of repayment scared me!

So I bought a 95000 fixer upper and can do work as I have the spare cash, I could also go and get a fancy new car on finance however I bought my Fiat coupe for 5 grand and thats thats!

i had to be realistic that if I lost my job tommorow I might not get another job on the same income immediately, however I could wash plates for a living and cover my mortgage and direct debits as they stand!

Yes my quality of life would suffer but I wouldnt lose anything except maybe my car due to running costs, however they money from selling my car would be mine!
Old 27-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

Family run business .
Mike has done various projects at my work during the time his company rented a plot on the grounds

Now we've been dumped with Sharpy, christ he's a cowboy!
Old 27-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by Smit
Mike has done various projects at my work during the time his company rented a plot on the grounds

Now we've been dumped with Sharpy, christ he's a cowboy!
That's what makes me laugh, we have a perfect safety record, do everything properly and they go and give the work to a muppet prepared to cut corners .

It will come back to bite them, and then the shit will hit the fan and everyone will be passing the buck as to who brought them on board .

We still do work for the proper company on site .

PS. We don't rent the plot - it is allocated to contractors .

Last edited by Mike Rainbird; 27-11-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 27-11-2008, 03:16 PM
AJC
10K+ Poster!!

Received 83 Likes on 73 Posts

i never knew you were in steel industry too mike. We were recently looking to sub a job out down south too. Now were doing it ourselves.
Old 27-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by AJC
i never knew you were in steel industry too mike. We were recently looking to sub a job out down south too. Now were doing it ourselves.
I'm a dark horse .

We're in East Anglia (Norfolk), so where will you be working?
Old 27-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

MY sentiments exactly... its so nice to be in a position where I am not being fooked over because I wanted to keep up with the jones and have all the best stuff now and at "only 25% interest" or whatever.

No sympathy for people who fooked themselves.

Do have sympathy for the genuine people who are goingto get/are caught up in it all

But also I looking forward to plenty of bargains to be had as a result of all this shit where cash is king.

In my opinion, if you have credit leave it where it is as if you get rid you might find you cant get it again if you NEED it and if you have EXTRA cash dont spend it.
Old 27-11-2008, 04:32 PM
CliffRS4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

My missus keeps giving me grief for being in a bubble over here in Germany as the credit crunch doesn't really affect us soldiers directly.

We still get paid the same and everything seems to get cheaper.

Lets be honest; there will always be work for us as long as the British government agrees to help invade the same countries as America
Old 27-11-2008, 04:41 PM
AJC
10K+ Poster!!

Received 83 Likes on 73 Posts

surrey, its a new audi garage, there as we speak
Old 27-11-2008, 04:50 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Yep about right mate
Old 27-11-2008, 05:40 PM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

i was a self employed plumber,i seen this coming a few months ago so i applied for various jobs on the oil rigs and was lucky enough to get 1 of the last jobs with halliburton.i make the same as i did when i was self employed(on paper) and when i get qualified i will make a bit more.i still have the same number from when i was self employed and it hasnt rang for around 3 weeks with anybody wanting a decent money making job done.usually this time of year i would be working day and night but not this year.i feel sorry for all the people that are affected and i agree it would not be as bad if the media were not hyping things up like usual.
Old 27-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

That's what makes me laugh, we have a perfect safety record, do everything properly and they go and give the work to a muppet prepared to cut corners .

It will come back to bite them, and then the shit will hit the fan and everyone will be passing the buck as to who brought them on board .

We still do work for the proper company on site .

PS. We don't rent the plot - it is allocated to contractors .
You remember that paint pigging system u installed along with the extra mixer in bay D of the plant (the bay with all the other large vessels in?) Anyway the system is Still going well. The product pushed with solvent to the catcher then blown with Nitrogen back to the launcher.. Does have the odd time when the small pipe gets blocked but only once every 7/8 months. Works day in day out....

They contracted another project out so we could have another pigging system so we could run two pigging systems at once... They took ages installing it and when they come to test it christ water, you've never seen so much piss out when they pressure tested it. Ended up being the a few pipes where they were either too short or too long, or not the right angle i;m not joking.. lol

That was August.. It's December next week and still lay dorment

Nice one Pruce Newman PMSL

Last edited by Smit; 27-11-2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old 27-11-2008, 05:52 PM
GINGExR2 T
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Nicely put, my house was worth Ł80000 thatn my mortage at one point and people were saying REMORTAGE to by a nice flash Ł20000 motor. Glad i had the sence not to
Old 27-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Stoke is one of the few areas house prices have gone up in value recently. 0.5% aint much though
Old 27-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

exactly, im lucky enough to earn over the national average however when I came to buying my first property two years ago I could have got 180000 mortgage however I dont need a massive house and dont have the time for gardening and that level of repayment scared me!

So I bought a 95000 fixer upper and can do work as I have the spare cash, I could also go and get a fancy new car on finance however I bought my Fiat coupe for 5 grand and thats thats!

i had to be realistic that if I lost my job tommorow I might not get another job on the same income immediately, however I could wash plates for a living and cover my mortgage and direct debits as they stand!

Yes my quality of life would suffer but I wouldnt lose anything except maybe my car due to running costs, however they money from selling my car would be mine!
Top man, i knew if i looked hard enough i would eventually find someone who thinks like me.
Old 27-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Shorty
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Wouldnt it be nice! "Shall i take the Enzo? Or the Veyron? Nahh stuff it al drag the heli out"

If only!
Old 27-11-2008, 08:41 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

well i can tell you in my job we are feeling it big time!
Old 27-11-2008, 09:02 PM
the benno

Originally Posted by Grahamxx
Personally I blame the press/TV news, yes the world’s in a little trouble, but it’s been rammed in our faces all the time, so making folk very nervous to spend money...
this is spot on IMO !
Old 27-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Grahamxx

here here,you can almost imagine the sigh of relief the chancellor must have made when he heard about the trouble in india,spotlight light off the credit situation and back onto real news that hasnt been created by greedy bankers and pooliticians......
Old 27-11-2008, 09:18 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by the benno
this is spot on IMO !
damn too slow but at least more than one person agrees with above
Old 28-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by Rudey
the government are bringing forward projects to keep contruction going mike 7.1 billion so you,ll be ok you may just have to employ some polish though for equality reasons the only sad thing about this is our tradesmen being replaced with cheaper migrants as firms keep job costs down in turn not having to borrow as much from the banks as alot of firms dont get paid until the jobs finished last one weve just completed was a year contract so alot of money, my mate a pipefitter got layed off last week the gaffers told em weve got 19 blokes on the books without work were gonna have to let you go as hes a subby 10 went 10 polish replaced them not company men like he said wankers!
Won't EVER happen while I'm part of the company. We have a very low turnover of staff - most of the people have been with the company since my Father started it in the mid-80s, and the shortest term person is 3 years (a "youngster"). It is VERY important that as a small company, that we retain the work ethos of "do it right, do it once" that has seen the company remain profitable through-out the 20+ years it has been going. Therefore, we are very careful about who joins the company, with a 2 week vetting system (providing the CV is all correct). If they're not up to scratch, then they're binned. Shoddy workmanship and attitudes are not tolerated, as the business is very cut-throat, so using cheap, less-skilled labour is not an option. One mistake / bad job can tarnish you for a LONG time.
Old 28-11-2008, 08:10 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by Smit
You remember that paint pigging system u installed along with the extra mixer in bay D of the plant (the bay with all the other large vessels in?) Anyway the system is Still going well. The product pushed with solvent to the catcher then blown with Nitrogen back to the launcher.. Does have the odd time when the small pipe gets blocked but only once every 7/8 months. Works day in day out....

They contracted another project out so we could have another pigging system so we could run two pigging systems at once... They took ages installing it and when they come to test it christ water, you've never seen so much piss out when they pressure tested it. Ended up being the a few pipes where they were either too short or too long, or not the right angle i;m not joking.. lol

That was August.. It's December next week and still lay dorment

Nice one Pruce Newman PMSL
WTF are they doing still using them then!

See if you can have words, we'll come in and put it all right for you .
Old 28-11-2008, 09:18 AM
gazm
PassionFord Regular

Won't EVER happen while I'm part of the company. We have a very low turnover of staff - most of the people have been with the company since my Father started it in the mid-80s, and the shortest term person is 3 years (a "youngster"). It is VERY important that as a small company, that we retain the work ethos of "do it right, do it once" that has seen the company remain profitable through-out the 20+ years it has been going. Therefore, we are very careful about who joins the company, with a 2 week vetting system (providing the CV is all correct). If they're not up to scratch, then they're binned. Shoddy workmanship and attitudes are not tolerated, as the business is very cut-throat, so using cheap, less-skilled labour is not an option. One mistake / bad job can tarnish you for a LONG time.
well said Mike - trouble wiith this country - government trying to get companies to employ cheap foreign labour, who says so - if its your company you can employ who you like... ive been self emplyoyed since I was 19 and 39 now... doing various trades. It can take 10 years to build a reputation and 10 mins to ruin one !!! -- your only as good as your blokes and the last job you did.....

Last edited by gazm; 28-11-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old 28-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

I would point out that we are not against migrant workers in any-way shape or form. It's just that we would not bin off regular people to taken on "cheap" labour. Everyone is paid the same amount depending on skill-set, and we even used to have an Albanian working for us (a full UK resident, having married an English girl ), whom the workforce affectionately nick-named "Illegal" .
Old 28-11-2008, 12:38 PM
porksword69

I would point out that we are not against migrant workers in any-way shape or form. It's just that we would not bin off regular people to taken on "cheap" labour. Everyone is paid the same amount depending on skill-set, and we even used to have an Albanian working for us (a full UK resident, having married an English girl ), whom the workforce affectionately nick-named "Illegal" .
You got to love that about this country.

Its like the lad who worked at my Dads garage. He had some fingers & a thumb chopped of in a bike chain.
I have no idea what his real name was, as everyone called him "Fingers".
Old 28-11-2008, 01:33 PM
kay2

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Top man, i knew if i looked hard enough i would eventually find someone who thinks like me.

Cheers, I just cant believe there are people in the world that want their mortgage to go up

And its always the ones with the big houses and flash cars that come to the pub with tenner and have to be frog marched to bar to get a round in?!

Last edited by kay2; 28-11-2008 at 01:35 PM.

Quick Reply: What credit crunch LOL?