General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Best broadband deals....

Search this Thread

Old 18-11-2008, 07:52 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Best broadband deals....

Whats the best out there at the moment? I move into my new place in a couple of weeks. Was going to go with Sky and get it added to a Sky package but heard that the Sky broadband isnt that great?

Not after massive download capacity etc, just something thats quick enough and reliable!!

So who you all with and whats the monthly payments?

Cheers
Chris
Old 18-11-2008, 08:06 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

sky's great for me, but it does soon all add up
£43 for the premium package
plus a tenner for braodband
plus a tenner for multi room
plus a tenner for hd
plus bt's phoneline tenner
plus calls every month
on 2 houses
works out to be the wrong side of £150 a month
Old 18-11-2008, 09:06 AM
robj20
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im with O2, £10 a month for 16mb and no usage limit. you can get 8mb for £7.50.
Old 18-11-2008, 09:09 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing wrong with Sky broadband
Old 18-11-2008, 09:17 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by robj20
Im with O2, £10 a month for 16mb and no usage limit. you can get 8mb for £7.50.
How do you find the service mate? O2 were one of my top choices (probably only the 8Mb one)

Chris
Old 18-11-2008, 09:28 AM
dojj

don't go with orange, nothing but grief

also, top whack sky broadband is uncapped and upto 16 mb
Old 18-11-2008, 09:59 AM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj
don't go with orange, nothing but grief

also, top whack sky broadband is uncapped and upto 16 mb

Care to elaborate on that one? ive been with them since day one when they were wanadoo, never had any downtime at all.

Trending Topics

Old 18-11-2008, 10:16 AM
jonboy
Old Git

Sky broadband is excellent, I had 8mg for a fiver on top of my tv package. Can you not get 2mg free still?, I set my G/F up with that last year and works just fine.

Had to transfer provider when I cancelled my TV package (you can't have it without sky tv).

Moved to O2, (my phone provider), 8-meg unlimited ( and I do abuse it)for £7.50. Again brilliant, no probs ever.
Old 18-11-2008, 10:19 AM
dojj

just ask thrush

when it was wanadoo it was fine, then it went to something else, then to orange, and ever since it went to orange it's been shite

constant drop outs, can't connect to remote computer, can't verify computer, can't do this, can't do that, then they lost the complaints i'd made against them, then they wouldn't refund the 2 months money i'd paid while i wasn't connected and, at £28 a month it's not s amll amount for a shitty 2mb line
then they sent out a livebox, which they said "may take up to 10 days to register" and "call our 50p a minute hotline if you have any problems in connecting" so i called their free phone number and made just the biggest fuss only to be met with "i'm sorry, i am unable to transfer you to anyone else who may be able to help, you have to call this number (the 50p a minute number)"

i finally got through to the place for my migration code where they coudn't do enough to stop me from leaving, including giving me 6 months free connection and then their 8mb package for £7 a month for the next 6 months before it went back up to the £8 a month it has been for the past few months

and then they said "you don't seem to be using your livebox so we are goign to disconnect the sevices for it" even though all i did was just leave my old modem plugged in and it went from being connected at 2.2 to 5.6 so the modem was fine in the first place, it was just them not knowing what the fuck they were doing

i still get drop outs evey night so unless i'm on the computer it'll just stop connecting if i leave it idle for an hour and then it won't reconnect until i reboot again

still, it's worth it nly for the fact that it takes all my junk mail and filters it out
Old 18-11-2008, 10:19 AM
_SpeedX_
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Sky and O2 broadband are the best 1's
Old 18-11-2008, 10:26 AM
BM08
Professional Waffler

just ask thrush

when it was wanadoo it was fine, then it went to something else, then to orange, and ever since it went to orange it's been shite

constant drop outs, can't connect to remote computer, can't verify computer, can't do this, can't do that, then they lost the complaints i'd made against them, then they wouldn't refund the 2 months money i'd paid while i wasn't connected and, at £28 a month it's not s amll amount for a shitty 2mb line
then they sent out a livebox, which they said "may take up to 10 days to register" and "call our 50p a minute hotline if you have any problems in connecting" so i called their free phone number and made just the biggest fuss only to be met with "i'm sorry, i am unable to transfer you to anyone else who may be able to help, you have to call this number (the 50p a minute number)"

i finally got through to the place for my migration code where they coudn't do enough to stop me from leaving, including giving me 6 months free connection and then their 8mb package for £7 a month for the next 6 months before it went back up to the £8 a month it has been for the past few months

and then they said "you don't seem to be using your livebox so we are goign to disconnect the sevices for it" even though all i did was just leave my old modem plugged in and it went from being connected at 2.2 to 5.6 so the modem was fine in the first place, it was just them not knowing what the fuck they were doing

i still get drop outs evey night so unless i'm on the computer it'll just stop connecting if i leave it idle for an hour and then it won't reconnect until i reboot again

still, it's worth it nly for the fact that it takes all my junk mail and filters it out
I never got on with the livebox it was aload of shit, BUT the usb modem was 100% stable, NEVER EVER drop connection, now im using a Dynamode wireless router which is pretty reliable too, very rarely drops connection but it if does im back within 10mins, but thats only down to the router not my line.

Have you got a conclusive evidence that orange is the problem? i.e using another provider which has been better?
Old 18-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Cozziekid
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

O2 is apparently the best deal around at the moment. You can get it cheaper if your an O2 mobile customer.
Old 18-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you own a 02 mobile contract iirc you can get 8meg unlimited download home broadband for £5

but remember the good old 10.50 for BT line rental Unless u go with TalkTalk (which i wouldn't recommend)
Old 18-11-2008, 12:14 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by BM08
I never got on with the livebox it was aload of shit, BUT the usb modem was 100% stable, NEVER EVER drop connection, now im using a Dynamode wireless router which is pretty reliable too, very rarely drops connection but it if does im back within 10mins, but thats only down to the router not my line.

Have you got a conclusive evidence that orange is the problem? i.e using another provider which has been better?
when i was wanadoo, zero problems
when it switched over to the next one, 2 probl;ems
when it went to orange, all the problems started almost from day one of the switch over
compare that to the sky connection which has never dropped out, is always connected, is the first thing to connect when the ocputer is switched on, ALWAYS has the wireless ready to go, has 4 ports in the back PLUS the wireless against the orange version with ONE output and you seeon see just how much better the sky deal is
Old 18-11-2008, 12:17 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

when i was wanadoo, zero problems
when it switched over to the next one, 2 probl;ems
when it went to orange, all the problems started almost from day one of the switch over
compare that to the sky connection which has never dropped out, is always connected, is the first thing to connect when the ocputer is switched on, ALWAYS has the wireless ready to go, has 4 ports in the back PLUS the wireless against the orange version with ONE output and you seeon see just how much better the sky deal is

Horses for course's and all that, stick with whats best for you
Old 18-11-2008, 12:19 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ah cool looks like i may go with O2!! My phone is with them so can get it at the cheaper price!!
Old 18-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Lee_R21Turbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Smit
If you own a 02 mobile contract iirc you can get 8meg unlimited download home broadband for £5
....believe it or not I know of someone thats just managed to get the cheaper priced BB with 02 and they've only got a PAYG phone.

I'm with 02 - good service - just a shame I cant get any higher than 8mb on my line!