General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

What reasonably paid jobs are out there that require no qualifications?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 08:42 PM
ram
Has a large member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default What reasonably paid jobs are out there that require no qualifications?

Im a graphic designer that cant find any work at the moment.
so right now i really need any job. but im 23 so really dont wanna be going back to sweeping building sites in freezing winter or pushing trollys for £6 an hour.

so what jobs are out there that require no qualifications but pay more than say £7 an hour?

cheeRS
Old 10-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

pimp
Old 10-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gigolo.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:58 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

tescos!night work re-sotvking etc!i know you said you would want to do this but i think they are on £9 per hour!
Old 10-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Shorty
PassionFord Post Whore!!

We all want a job like that. Lol.

Good jobs like that dont get advertised IMO.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was gonna say night jobs!!!

Either that or driving for couriers is quite good money at this time of year!

Good luck whatever you decide!
Old 10-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

Royal Mail are looking for Christmas temps, the money's probably shite.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

People always say McD's is good money, if u can handle the stick from ya mates

Years ago i used to deliver chinese. nearly killed me after being at work all day as well, as it was from 6pm till 12-1am every other night.

But saying that i was having £60-£100 per night, just for driving around. Even took the S1 rst out some nights, and had the misses drop at the door with a low cut top. Once she got a £20 tip!!

It paid for us to go to the Maldives for 2 weeks on a 5 star private island. well worth a go if ya can handle the hours. tho i guess if ur not working in the day then it will be fine.

Last edited by Lee Ivatt; 10-11-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:04 PM
SteveH
BANNED
BANNED

I've just applied to be a store manager at Aldi, sick of the shit at the moment. No quals needed, £33k
Old 10-11-2008, 09:06 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

pretend to be a qualified tradesmen, building sites are full of chancers on £30G+
Old 10-11-2008, 09:06 PM
paulg

Police officer
Old 10-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fuzzy
pretend to be a qualified tradesmen, building sites are full of chancers on £30G+
Go offshore and is even worse, last trainee i had worked in a call center a year ago now he's an electriian and a mechy fitter apparently lol
Old 10-11-2008, 09:13 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by paulg
Police officer
Old 10-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

armed forces

failing that and the night work stuff your stuck on minimum wage really!!
Old 10-11-2008, 09:14 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by SteveH
I've just applied to be a store manager at Aldi, sick of the shit at the moment. No quals needed, £33k

Yes but do you have the retail experience to make up for it??? experience is just as valuable, if not more so than quals as im finding out now ive got tons of quals and experience, but none in the civilain world.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:14 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ram
so right now i really need any job. but im 23 so really dont wanna be going back to sweeping building sites in freezing winter or pushing trollys for £6 an hour.

so what jobs are out there that require no qualifications but pay more than say £7 an hour?

cheeRS
clearly you have intelligence being a graphic designer, so i'm guessing you know your way round a computer and can use basic microsoft packages etc

you do something like 1st line support for a technology helpline - a monkey could do it and it normally pay circa £8 an hour
Old 10-11-2008, 09:20 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Set up a small business designing/hosting websites, then look into what funding is available from places like the chamber or business link or princes trust (even for yourself).

Often they will fund 50% of the cost of a website/marketing material for new businesses, or small firms. You then approach small fiirms offering to build a site for xxx and gain the 50% funding for them meaning you are half price to competitors, they get a 50% discounted site and don't have to do all the digging to get the funding.

Then push to do design work for them companies, ie brochures, corp identity, advertising. Take on their print, NO MATTER WHAT IT IS and shop around for the best deal, then mark it up by 10 - 50% and sell it to them.

Target firms that will need constant design work, or constant updating of websites etc, these will bring in the most repeat business and become bread and butter work to keep you floating.

Keep your overheads down, run it from home, don't take much out of the company, build up strong relationships with suppliers to ensure you get good credit and good prices.

by this I mean, the printers gives you 60 days credit, you give the client 30 days, this avoids cash flow issues as you client will have paid by the time the printers are due payment. They also give you discounted prices so that you can mark it up and sell it to the client. Most printers will do this if you throw work at them for a month and promise to keep it coming.

Look around, is there a place that has a tatty looking signage, but looks a decent firm? Price up some signage, do the design for free (make some cash off the mark up), then knock up a quote and pop in and speak to the owner, just leave it with them and tell them to give you a call, not all will, but if 1 in 20 do it will be a good return.

See anyone moving into offices or workshops, go and ask if they need any signage, design work, stationery quoting up.

It is how i started many many moons ago mate and I now have a 5 strong team and a doing ok.

I have built a business in being the one that will drop everything (or appear to) for a client to get their job done. I will always either do some free pitch work, or cheap work in the early one or two jobs, then start to increase the costs once I am in.

Many clients started with 200 leaflets every six months, and now have grown and order 10k of stuff a year, you can never tell.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:28 PM
gar mae
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by fuzzy
Old 10-11-2008, 09:36 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

us president

or even prime minister, i think your more than qualified to fuck the country up, so you may do well
Old 10-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

Postman, then hammer the overtime
Old 10-11-2008, 09:40 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Spax
Postman, then hammer the overtime
or steal the christmas money, whatevers easiest
Old 10-11-2008, 09:46 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Best postie was the one in the news that just posted the whole streets letters into the first house lol!!

Love it, bet he was back home all done in an hour!!
Old 10-11-2008, 09:47 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Gotta be police officer, 20K+ a year starting wage and you only need a few GCSE's and the ability to act like a total wanker, which I believe they will teach you anyway if you dont already know
Old 10-11-2008, 09:50 PM
SteveH
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
Yes but do you have the retail experience to make up for it??? experience is just as valuable, if not more so than quals as im finding out now ive got tons of quals and experience, but none in the civilain world.
http://www.careers.aldirecruitment.c...re-manager.asp

Doesnt say it specifically, but it would obviously be an advantage.
If not, there always assistant manager
Old 10-11-2008, 10:02 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I'm a graphic designer too, finished uni and was out for nearly 2 years before i actually got a job in design. Now im in, the job is excellent, the money is ok, luckily my boss has agreed to pay me commission on any work i can get in so when the office is dead I can nip out and do some selling to keep me busy/boost the wages.

Stick at it, you will get a design job for someone, knock doors, drop in a million CV's, offer to design for free, design stuff in your spare time to build up a decent portfolio.

Meantime, what about car sales? Massive earning potential, it wont be easy though. Failing that, nightshift supermarket work etc.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:15 PM
P_is_for_Paul
Coldo loves seamen

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Train driver. They teach you. 33 grand a year when fully qualified. No qualifications necessary
Old 10-11-2008, 10:25 PM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Recruitment. Although it is pretty tough right now.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:59 PM
ram
Has a large member

cheers for all the replies guys
to be honest im only looking for work to tie me over till march time so i got enough money saved to give the graphics game another crack to do some free work experience etc.

so as much as i actually like the idea of being a train driver, i havn't really got time to do a job that involves training.

there are some good suggestions here.
my fav would be to do a driving job eg. 3.5 ton
infact il be up at 5am tommorow as im being a drivers mate for £6.50 an hour for a delivery company

coldo - nice to see there can be a happy ending to the graphic design search lol.
i got a degree, ive done work for mazda, HiQ, and others. but because im a junior whos only worked for one company there seem to be a million people out there with more experience
what sort of designer are you if you dont mind me asking?
Old 10-11-2008, 11:07 PM
taycoss
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Alps Pacino
Go offshore and is even worse, last trainee i had worked in a call center a year ago now he's an electriian and a mechy fitter apparently lol
How the hell do all these people get offshore? im a mechanic to trade and want to get offshore but nobody seems to be interested in taking me on .My neighbour was a diver and he was always saying what idiots he had working out there with him that had no clue how to even use a spanner.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:15 PM
Mark_1

Originally Posted by ram

cheeRS
Go to school!
When i was 22 i was still working as a pizza delivery guy, earning me 10£ an hour late evenings, 4 years later i make around 42£ an hour when i work late evenings.
Thats after one year in school and working my ass of for 3 years at the firm im currently working at.

Bear in mind that you are only 23 and have 40years of work ahead of you, spending 3-5years at school sucks, but in twenty years time i doubt you regret it.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:17 PM
B16CVH

[quote=ram;3728129]

so as much as i actually like the idea of being a train driver, i havn't really got time to do a job that involves training.

quote]

This aint all its cracked up to be, i work for a Rail Company and there are too many suicides, experience one of them and your pretty much affected for life
Old 10-11-2008, 11:19 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by B16CVH
This aint all its cracked up to be, i work for a Rail Company and there are too many suicides, experience one of them and your pretty much affected for life
Dont know till it happens I guess, but I genuinely dont think that would get to me.

Fuck all you can do if someone chucks themselves under your train, so personally Im convinced I would just forget about it as "one of those things" TBH
Old 10-11-2008, 11:32 PM
cossieDavedree

Coldo

Meantime, what about car sales? Massive earning potential, it wont be easy though.

you're joking right? have you seen the news about effects of the credit crunch, and working in the car industry at this time of year so close to xmas = lol
Old 10-11-2008, 11:32 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by matts1
Set up a small business designing/hosting websites, then look into what funding is available from places like the chamber or business link or princes trust (even for yourself).

Often they will fund 50% of the cost of a website/marketing material for new businesses, or small firms. You then approach small fiirms offering to build a site for xxx and gain the 50% funding for them meaning you are half price to competitors, they get a 50% discounted site and don't have to do all the digging to get the funding.

Then push to do design work for them companies, ie brochures, corp identity, advertising. Take on their print, NO MATTER WHAT IT IS and shop around for the best deal, then mark it up by 10 - 50% and sell it to them.

Target firms that will need constant design work, or constant updating of websites etc, these will bring in the most repeat business and become bread and butter work to keep you floating.

Keep your overheads down, run it from home, don't take much out of the company, build up strong relationships with suppliers to ensure you get good credit and good prices.

by this I mean, the printers gives you 60 days credit, you give the client 30 days, this avoids cash flow issues as you client will have paid by the time the printers are due payment. They also give you discounted prices so that you can mark it up and sell it to the client. Most printers will do this if you throw work at them for a month and promise to keep it coming.

Look around, is there a place that has a tatty looking signage, but looks a decent firm? Price up some signage, do the design for free (make some cash off the mark up), then knock up a quote and pop in and speak to the owner, just leave it with them and tell them to give you a call, not all will, but if 1 in 20 do it will be a good return.

See anyone moving into offices or workshops, go and ask if they need any signage, design work, stationery quoting up.

It is how i started many many moons ago mate and I now have a 5 strong team and a doing ok.

I have built a business in being the one that will drop everything (or appear to) for a client to get their job done. I will always either do some free pitch work, or cheap work in the early one or two jobs, then start to increase the costs once I am in.

Many clients started with 200 leaflets every six months, and now have grown and order 10k of stuff a year, you can never tell.

You could learn a lot from this guy.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:44 PM
Rossco
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by matts1

Yep as Stu said, some great advice there.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:49 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by SteveH
http://www.careers.aldirecruitment.c...re-manager.asp

Doesnt say it specifically, but it would obviously be an advantage.
If not, there always assistant manager
Just applied for a laugh
Old 11-11-2008, 12:35 AM
ram
Has a large member

mark1 - i dont need to go back to school mate ive just spent the last 3 years at uni!

mattss1 - skimmed through what you had written earlier but thought you were just talking bout generally setting up any business
Its only now ive properly read it that you are talking about sign writing/design etc. thats what the majority of my industry work has been in, doing vinyl design. wraps on vehicles, shop windows, banners etc. i did quite abit vinyl fitting too.

your advice/story is what i dream of doing. id love to set up on my own and do signage, vinyl design etc.

hope you dont mind if i ask you some questions soon.
i gotta get up in 3 and a half hours for work and wouldnt mind choosing some meaningful questions instead of rushed ones now lol.

cheers for your help pal
Old 11-11-2008, 06:39 AM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

bus driver
Old 11-11-2008, 07:09 AM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Chip
Dont know till it happens I guess, but I genuinely dont think that would get to me.

Fuck all you can do if someone chucks themselves under your train, so personally Im convinced I would just forget about it as "one of those things" TBH

same here. i'd probaly be more annoyed that they have held me and a train load of people up due to selfishness.
may sound harsh but thats my outlook
Old 11-11-2008, 07:30 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

my mate was in japan a few years ago and someone therw themselves in front of a bulliet train

there was blood and shit all over the place but while the train was stopped, they were out tehre with mops and buckets until the train moved on again, then they left it smeared on the sides

just because one person wants to end it all doesn't mean they should ruin it for thousands of others out there

don' be a bus driver, it's a shit job

drivers mate is great, no need to drive, just sit there and shift stuff when you stop, then sleep and eat when you are on the move

just got to make sure it lasts for the next few months is all

Quick Reply: What reasonably paid jobs are out there that require no qualifications?