General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Motability Cars (what One)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 08:29 AM
XRdodgybird
Praise the XR!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know of about three people who have motability cars....

The first one has a car so big (for her and her son) that a) she can't drive it properly... and b) whether its her fault or not, its been bashed so many times now that Motability have said she'll have to keep it longer cos they won't give her a new one.

The second is for someone who really can't be classed as "disabled" anymore now he's had his hip operation because after all.... he still rides a motorbike and he never uses his car for work..... he leaves it with the missis. The car he had before that, she used for work and he never did any work.

The third, going back years ago... was claimed for by the biggest druggy on the local estate, he claimed it for his disabled brother to run him around..... bet his brother never saw what the interior looked like on that car.

Don't get me wrong, motability is a good thing, and I am not going to knock you for getting a car so that your step father can get about, if he's entitled to it then he might as well have it and if he's ill, someone has to drive it. Good on ya, and make sure you get sommat nice.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:32 AM
stephenbatey
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ebonycossie4x4
bateyovhebburn.

thankyou mate. Finally a decent answer to some questions, im being told that the car can be used without the mobility person in it. how would they prove that the person in the car is not doing something for the disabled person.

The blue badge is of no intrest to us. He will keep that for the hospital runs that we will need to do in it.

the more feedback i get the more i think of getting a runaround and giving up on this whole idea, but he cannot afford to buy it even for £600.
The car doesnt have to have the disabled person on board, like you say and i used to say "just popping to shops for ................. " and you covered. To be honest no one even asks. But mobility motors aren`t free like some people think, i recommend a cheap runaround as you`ll be sick when youve payed nearly £150 a month for 3 years and the car aint yours at the end of it
Old 05-11-2008, 08:44 AM
dunketh
Chief Iron Oxide Farmer.

I was hit by a motability car.
The woman driving was small, reasonably fit and perfectly healthy. So much so she jumped out and started dashing around the bashed up cars.

I said "Dont worry, mines a hire car" She said "No worries, mines motability"
We both had a little chuckle at the respective firms having to foot the bill.

Btw it was a brand new Mazda, a very nice one at that. Nothing 'disability-ish' about it. Infact it was quite sporty and nice with its metallic paint and alloys. If she was scamming, good luck to her imo.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:46 AM
TWoods
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a reason why motability cars are not always pristine they disabled owners may not be able to clean it or maintain the car themselves so that is why the scheme allows new cars with inclusive servicing and maintance is because they need a reliable mode of transport.

At end of the contract the car is never yours unlike hire purchase whereby you pay x amount per month for 3 years and final payment the car is yours. With motability you give up your DLA payments in exchange for a car you do not get mobility allowance and a car it is one or the other. You can choose to pay little more out of your own pocket for a better or different car ontop of giving up your mobility component of your disability living allowance.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:54 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

ARGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

This country!!!
Old 05-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

all the people saying about how the cars are all smashed up/keyed/dented/set on fire etc,,

is that possibly because of all the people that are fucked off with the scamming cunts that abuse the system, do it to their cars lol?
Old 05-11-2008, 05:36 PM
RS 5tu
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ebonycossie4x4
People dont know the whole story and just rant, I think you will be doing the old man a favour getting him to the doctors and hospital instead of him getting a bus or paying for a taxi, If that was my grandad and i did not live near i would be happy some one could take him places regardless of how much they used the car.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:08 PM
bigal1978
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Benni
Disabilities can effect you in many ways, mind your own business.

Benni.
no shit i live with a divvy she cant change an engine cant walk the dogs cant walk more than an hour needs help 99% of the time but as a family we cope i work hard for what little we have

so jog on down the pub with my tax fund
Old 05-11-2008, 10:48 PM
simonc
Advanced PassionFord User

I have to say when i used to work in aftersales at a Vauxhall main dealer the majority of motability cars were in a poor state when they used to come in for service, normally small dents & scrapes,wheels badly curbed,door mirror covers broken/missing,aerials snapped off & the inside of them made you gag,filthy dirty. I must stress some did look after them but not many.