General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Jap Honda JDM Type R

Search this Thread

Old 29-10-2008 | 10:48 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ok honey, i'm sure the s2000 won top gear car of the year could be wrong though it might have ben the street ka
Old 29-10-2008 | 10:50 AM
danneth
TORQUE!

Originally Posted by Alps Pacino
ok honey, i'm sure the s2000 won top gear car of the year could be wrong though it might have ben the street ka

your wasting your time mate, hes comparing a honda to a ford
Old 29-10-2008 | 11:03 AM
It's Czech Mate

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle1324001.ece

Silly me
Old 29-10-2008 | 11:12 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Mondeo Man
cant find anywhere in the review that says the focus is better just the bit that says the civic type r doesnt have a turbo so has better steering than it rivals ans so on?
Old 29-10-2008 | 11:16 AM
It's Czech Mate

cant find anywhere in the review that says the focus is better just the bit that says the civic type r doesnt have a turbo so has better steering than it rivals ans so on?

Perhaps the verdict part a the bottom where it says BEATEN BY THE ST. And the part where it mentions that as an everyday car its beaten by the ST and the Golf. Or the part where it mentions it's short on power compared to its rivals such as the ST/Golf/SEAT etc.

Nevermind....its only my opinion.....and that of one of the leading motoring journalists in one of Britains largest circulation publications. Guess you must be right.

And FYI i'm not slagging off HONDA at all, i'd LOVE a DC2 as stated above and numerous times in the past. It's the huge chip on your shoulder where in every thread where you have to turn into a Honda are brilliant and Ford are shit thread. It's simply not true. They both make good cars.
Old 29-10-2008 | 11:24 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

[quote=

And FYI i'm not slagging off HONDA at all, i'd LOVE a DC2 as stated above and numerous times in the past. It's the huge chip on your shoulder where in every thread where you have to turn into a Honda are brilliant and Ford are shit thread. It's simply not true. They both make good cars.[/quote]

I know they both make brilliant car just hondas are that bit better
Old 29-10-2008 | 11:31 AM
danneth
TORQUE!

I know they both make brilliant car just hondas are that bit better
"bit" ?

Honda V-TEC

With heavy taxes on large capacity engines, Honda went about getting a quart of power from a pint pot. Hence the creation of V-TEC variable valve timing. Two sets of cam lobes, one for smooth low speed running and another for high rev power means the best of both worlds. Despite its complexity, Honda has not had a single warranty claim for the system in 16 years of production.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wEIyas-p92o
Old 29-10-2008 | 11:33 AM
It's Czech Mate

Backed up by their sales figures eh boys
Old 29-10-2008 | 11:43 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

From your mate jeremy

The old Civic Type R crept up on an unsuspecting market so stealthily that even Honda barely saw it coming. It originally hoped to sell 1,500 in the UK but in the end, they shifted over 35,000. It became an icon – the hottest of hatches for the most enthusiastic of enthusiasts
Old 29-10-2008 | 11:44 AM
danneth
TORQUE!

Backed up by their sales figures eh boys

you think i want to see the same car as mine on every corner now give me some lovely stats about the ST? apart from it has a volvo engine is a 2.5L turbo and still no quicker then a 2.0 n/a car
Old 29-10-2008 | 11:45 AM
danneth
TORQUE!

The EP3 Civic Type R was much acclaimed by motoring journalists across the UK, winning 'Hot Hatch of the Year' awards more than once from Top Gear, Fifth Gear and What Car?. The Civic Type R became a popular alternative for mainstream drivers clocking huge sales numbers

i dont need to type anymore do i?
Old 29-10-2008 | 11:59 AM
Nash
Cake lover!

My old DC2:

Best car i have ever owned, had 110k on the clock and never let me down in the 18months i had it.

I would really like a DC5 as an everyday car or maybe even another DC2, trouble is it wouldnt end up as just an everyday car.
Old 29-10-2008 | 12:00 PM
Daviet
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by danneth
The EP3 Civic Type R was much acclaimed by motoring journalists across the UK, winning 'Hot Hatch of the Year' awards more than once from Top Gear, Fifth Gear and What Car?. The Civic Type R became a popular alternative for mainstream drivers clocking huge sales numbers

i dont need to type anymore do i?
i thought the ep3 was in competition with the focus rs?
and theres not alot in it between they 2 cars in standard form.but the focus has to be better when modding it and thats bfore depriciation comes in to it..
the newer one no idea the model number lol would be up against the st.
Old 29-10-2008 | 12:01 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Daviet
and theres not alot in it between they 2 cars in standard form.but the focus has to be better when modding it and thats bfore depriciation comes in to it..
If you look into the tuning world i'd put money on the fact there are quicker civics than focus's. That said the focus is better at the first stages of tune with it being turbocharged, but if spending big money on both i'd choose a turbo honda project
Old 29-10-2008 | 12:02 PM
Nash
Cake lover!

Honda should have released the DC5 over here imo, stunning looking car with LSD and 220bhp.
Old 29-10-2008 | 12:05 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

and look what the focus RS has as standard compared to the CTR, and the CTR is still 18 seconds quicker round the ring as standard

i drove both cars alot as i wanted both but couldn't choose luckily for me one of my mates had a CTR and one has an FRS and after many hours of fun and seeing which one is quicker on the roads and which one doesn't break i went for the CTR

and i buy a car to drive it not to see how much its worth when i sell it
Old 29-10-2008 | 12:06 PM
Daviet
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If you look into the tuning world i'd put money on the fact there are quicker civics than focus's
sorry i should have put £ for bhp and with bolt on bits that most folk seem to do.
not talking about spoon or mugen demo cars that have had about 50k flung at them lol.
Old 29-10-2008 | 12:09 PM
Ed1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yes thanks...

90mph on the motorway is too many revs for me in a ctr or ITR or i'd have had one
I wish we had motorways where you could go 90mph on round here!
Old 29-10-2008 | 12:09 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

If you look into the tuning world i'd put money on the fact there are quicker civics than focus's. That said the focus is better at the first stages of tune with it being turbocharged, but if spending big money on both i'd choose a turbo honda project

before the end of the year mine will be either SC or turbo just dont know which yet, unless the focus RS is running big power an SC or turbo'ed ep3 will make it look silly

mondeo man went quiet?
Old 29-10-2008 | 12:10 PM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by Ed_van_dijk
I wish we had motorways where you could go 90mph on round here!

I do most of my motorway miles after 9pm Much quicker lol
Old 29-10-2008 | 12:13 PM
Ed1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I do most of my motorway miles after 9pm Much quicker lol
If you do them after 11pm dose that mean you can do 110mph?
Old 29-10-2008 | 12:14 PM
Nash
Cake lover!

before the end of the year mine will be either SC or turbo just dont know which yet, unless the focus RS is running big power an SC or turbo'ed ep3 will make it look silly

mondeo man went quiet?
Yes but something to add, you have then spend £2-3k on the conversion and that doesnt include an LSD. So spend £2-3k on the Focus and you can have 350bhp.
Old 29-10-2008 | 12:20 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Originally Posted by Nash
Yes but something to add, you have then spend £2-3k on the conversion and that doesnt include an LSD. So spend £2-3k on the Focus and you can have 350bhp.

but with the prices of an FRS at around 12k when i bought mine i paid £7500 for the same year CTR if i spend 4k on charging it and an LSD i haven't lost out have i? i have a much quicker and reliable car?

Last edited by danneth; 29-10-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 29-10-2008 | 12:21 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The thing with the honda world is if you spend wisely they are cheap to get power out of, i know a lad building a turbo crx which will be 450bhp ish for a cost of 5k.
Old 29-10-2008 | 12:23 PM
It's Czech Mate

mondeo man went quiet?
I dont need to say anymore. I've made my point about the ST and the CTR...i'm not on a misguided mission to make a blanket statement that one manufacturer is better than another, because it's a stupid thing to say. The more you post trying to say so the sillier you appear.

HTH
Old 29-10-2008 | 12:24 PM
It's Czech Mate

If you do them after 11pm dose that mean you can do 110mph?
lol, i like my licence....
Old 29-10-2008 | 12:25 PM
Ed1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Dont forget Honda people this is a ford forum!

I think Hondas are awsome machines, i used to work in a honda delership but i dont go on about them like they are the best thing since sliced bread!
Old 29-10-2008 | 12:26 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

The thing with the honda world is if you spend wisely they are cheap to get power out of, i know a lad building a turbo crx which will be 450bhp ish for a cost of 5k.

this was also proved by rickylee off here
Old 29-10-2008 | 12:27 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Dont forget Honda people this is a ford forum!

I think Hondas are awsome machines, i used to work in a honda delership but i dont go on about them like they are the best thing since sliced bread!
theres a reason where on here and i don't usually see anyone going on about them that much think this is the first honda post ive really seen thats anygood... but they are the best admit it
Old 29-10-2008 | 12:27 PM
Nash
Cake lover!

The post i was reffering to didnt mention a CRX. It pretty much said if i spend £3k+ on an EP3 it will be faster than a Standard FRS, not really any great surprise tbh is it.
Old 29-10-2008 | 12:30 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

The post i was reffering to didnt mention a CRX. It pretty much said if i spend £3k+ on an EP3 it will be faster than a Standard FRS, not really any great surprise tbh is it.
and i answered it
Old 29-10-2008 | 12:32 PM
Ed1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

theres a reason where on here and i don't usually see anyone going on about them that much think this is the first honda post ive really seen thats anygood... but they are the best admit it

Yeah they are bloody good, my mate has got a import teg with all the mugan stuff on it and its 270 bhp at the wheels out of a n/a 1.8, it will do the quater in 13's iirc its an awsome machine and it never breaks how ever much stick as you give it, it just seems to like front tires!
Old 29-10-2008 | 12:45 PM
Nash
Cake lover!

and i answered it
FRS dont cost £12k anymore either. I know an EP3 can be picked up for as little as £6.5kish the last time i looked. The market is flooded with EP3's thats the reason they are cheaper, and the fact they were cheaper in the first place.

What you have to understand is that people like different things. Its there money at the end of the day. In your post about modding you didnt mention the cost of buying the car. I simply pointed out if you spend the same on a FRS modding it theres no difference in performace.

Can you see the point i was trying to get across now?
Old 29-10-2008 | 12:49 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

One of my best mates has a 96 spec Integra Type R with a de-cat, mugen airbox, spoon ecu and spoon n1 exhaust... he threw on some 888s and ran a 13.9 1/4 mile, consistently all day. No big clutch, no uprated box, no different internals etc... I'm not blinkered, there are better cars out there than Hondas, but like for like (same age/class) the Hondas probably have better cars than most manufacturers, including Ford, specially when you take reliability into consideration.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 29-10-2008 | 12:53 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

FRS dont cost £12k anymore either. I know an EP3 can be picked up for as little as £6.5kish the last time i looked. The market is flooded with EP3's thats the reason they are cheaper, and the fact they were cheaper in the first place.

What you have to understand is that people like different things. Its there money at the end of the day. In your post about modding you didnt mention the cost of buying the car. I simply pointed out if you spend the same on a FRS modding it theres no difference in performace.

ye i see your point mine was just IMO you can have alot quicker car for less money and something abit different to
Old 29-10-2008 | 12:53 PM
Daviet
PassionFord Post Whore!!

of course he wont.the honda blinkers are worse than the ford ones lol

but as nash has said different strokes for different folks
i do really like hondas but i really dunno if i could put up with the exhaust note day to day.they dont sound to bad with standard exhausts but any of the aftermarket ones ive heard sound ridiculous and thats normally one of te first things replaced as there pretty restrictive as standard arent they?
Old 29-10-2008 | 12:54 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Originally Posted by RS Grant
One of my best mates has a 96 spec Integra Type R with a de-cat, mugen airbox, spoon ecu and spoon n1 exhaust... he threw on some 888s and ran a 13.9 1/4 mile, consistently all day. No big clutch, no uprated box, no different internals etc... I'm not blinkered, there are better cars out there than Hondas, but like for like (same age/class) the Hondas probably have better cars than most manufacturers, including Ford, specially when you take reliability into consideration.

Cheers,
Grant

yup there great on the strip some of the Supercharged ep3's have ran 13 dead with only 300bhp
Old 29-10-2008 | 12:55 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

of course he wont.the honda blinkers are worse than the ford ones lol

but as nash has said different strokes for different folks
i do really like hondas but i really dunno if i could put up with the exhaust note day to day.they dont sound to bad with standard exhausts but any of the aftermarket ones ive heard sound ridiculous and thats normally one of te first things replaced as there pretty restrictive as standard arent they?

blinkers have you not read what ive wrote, took me ages to decide between the two wasn't just one test drive in each then ye ill have that one, no blinkers here mate
Old 29-10-2008 | 01:32 PM
alan12112
Focus St mk2 310 bhp :D

whats with everyone saying i'd have one over a modern ford cos they are reliable?

How many Fst's and FRS' have you seen at the side of the road?

The modern duratec is extremely reliable and i've yet to see a frs (ZT) break down cos of engine troubles (3 of my mates have them and giv ethem some stick!)

Yes you can buy a typer for 7.5k opposed to a 12k FRS if you spent the difference you would end up with a faster car but if you spent the same on a focus my money is on that and when you come to sell it'll stil be worth the original 4.5k more

thanks and good night!
Old 29-10-2008 | 01:41 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Originally Posted by alan12112
whats with everyone saying i'd have one over a modern ford cos they are reliable?

How many Fst's and FRS' have you seen at the side of the road?

The modern duratec is extremely reliable and i've yet to see a frs (ZT) break down cos of engine troubles (3 of my mates have them and giv ethem some stick!)

Yes you can buy a typer for 7.5k opposed to a 12k FRS if you spent the difference you would end up with a faster car but if you spent the same on a focus my money is on that and when you come to sell it'll stil be worth the original 4.5k more

thanks and good night!
im on the FRS forum alot ive seen how reliable they are plus my mate has one he spent 8k on an engine rebuild plus upgrades only for it to go bang a few months later stands him at alot of money now, think thats why i went for the honda in the end they just dont seem to have any engine trouble and is quite rare if they do,

ive seen FRS as cheap as 9k now, and also seen 300bhp models going for around 11k your in dreamland if you think you can spend 4.5k on one and get it back

heres an ad for one

£11,995

Running a reliable 300bhp, 325lbs/ft, car is in mint condition, wheels just refurbished (full strip and powder coat), recent professional detail…….really is in excellent condition and looks completely standard. Never been bumped with paint depth report to prove. NO STONE CHIPS !

Upgrades as follows (in addition to standard spec);
Hybrid Turbo (Turbo Technics – hybrid of standard turbo)
Pro Alloy Charge Cooler Rad
De-cat (have original CAT)
Tubular cast manifold
MSD Coil Pack
K&N panel filter
Dream Science custom map (Ric Woods)
Scanguage II
Plus a few other bits and bobs.

No expense has been spared ……I have £1,000’s worth of receipts, it needs nothing and drives without fault.

Quick Reply: Jap Honda JDM Type R