General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anyone here a doorman?

Search this Thread

Old 20-10-2008, 11:34 AM
SapphyMike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here a doorman?

As title? any one here work on the doors at clubs etc?

Is it worth doing?
Old 20-10-2008, 11:38 AM
SteveH
BANNED
BANNED

Good mate of mine does it, keeps asking me to get my SiA approval and join him. Some of the better clubs he does he gets up to £20 an hour. Its not nice work though, dealing mainly with pissed up people acting the twat. He's also been stabbed twice, luckily he had his vest on.
Old 20-10-2008, 11:40 AM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Good thing about it as you get loads of pissed burds want to shag you
Old 20-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Think Aj does the doors and also Dancossie aswell
Old 20-10-2008, 11:46 AM
SapphyMike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i dont much fancy getting stabbed LOL

I just want some extra income and see this as a possibility!
Old 20-10-2008, 11:50 AM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Can be a nice little earner on the side.But really depends on the club/venue.Some places are brilliant to work and some are just hell holes, with fights all night. I have given up now as dont need the cash anymore and also the hassle. Still got my license though and help out mates if needed everynow and then. Alot of the job depends on your ability to deal with and speak to people...so its more about you not the job mike. I have had people spit in my face call me all the names under the sun and you have to stand there without fighting them and trust me sometimes its very hard not to!!!
Old 20-10-2008, 11:51 AM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I considered it but decided its too risky. So many pissed and coked up little twats out there to prove a point every weekend. Fuck getting stabbed/shot/bottled for a few quid extra a week.
Old 20-10-2008, 11:51 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

I think only you can make the decision for yourself.
Depends where it is I guess, but as said above I'm sure you'll get plenty numbers, but also you've got to ask yourself, is it worthwhile if you think you'll get a kicking or worse for a few quid an hour. If it's obviously somewhere like jumpin jacks or the like I'm sure it'll be just fine.
My best mate and a few other mates worked on the doors for years but he realised it wasn't woth it after getting a bottle through his hand after fighting with some geezer , they both fell down a flight of stairs and he landed on it. Each to their own I guess. Not saying that it will happen, but it could, i guess you could get knocked down if you worked on the roads so it depends how you look at it.
Old 20-10-2008, 11:53 AM
SapphyMike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

hmmmm....

Doesnt sound too great.. i might have a word with a few doorman around the town next time i go out.

If i could find something else that would pay me a bit extra than i would do it, its just finding something regular and with enough hours to make it worth while..
Old 20-10-2008, 11:55 AM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Originally Posted by SapphyMike
hmmmm....

Doesnt sound too great.. i might have a word with a few doorman around the town next time i go out.

If i could find something else that would pay me a bit extra than i would do it, its just finding something regular and with enough hours to make it worth while..
why not work in the bars themselves???
Old 20-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Big Will_
Borg Warner EFR Equipped!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the doors for 3 years and still have my SIA badge - knocked it on the head about 2 years ago.

Money is ok if you get a nice venue (i.e where there aren't smackheads trying to stab you with syringes in the toilets - as happened to me once...) - I was regularly taking home £150 a weekend for doing Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.

Make sure you get in with a decent organisation who are all legit and above board and if they cover a few venues you shouldn't be short of work.

If you can remain cool, calm and collected when you've got some pisshead yelling in your face - you'll be fine. If you've got a short fuse, it can land you in trouble with the old bill sometimes
Old 20-10-2008, 12:25 PM
SapphyMike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by DanCossie
why not work in the bars themselves???
All the places seem to want experienced staff.
Old 20-10-2008, 01:52 PM
rscombi.
PassionFord Regular

wuldnt want to put my face on the line every weekend for a bit of extra cash. dont think its the best job
Old 20-10-2008, 01:54 PM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Originally Posted by SapphyMike
All the places seem to want experienced staff.
its the easiet job in the world to do mate...just meet the manager one day and put ya best smile on be polite and smart and drop into conversation you would love a job behind the bar
Old 20-10-2008, 03:29 PM
CraigJ
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Been thinking of doing this myself, how much does it cost to get yout license?
Old 20-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Minimum £200 for course then £245 to get registered for license IIRC.
Old 20-10-2008, 03:43 PM
SapphyMike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by DanCossie
its the easiet job in the world to do mate...just meet the manager one day and put ya best smile on be polite and smart and drop into conversation you would love a job behind the bar

lol.

might just of landed myself 9-16 hours a week at my mates off licence
Old 20-10-2008, 03:44 PM
stevenebm
post whore

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

ask stoo.he is a doorman..............at mothercare
Old 20-10-2008, 03:46 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

door staff are normally pricks so the general opinions of the public are they're all pricks. seen it happen loads of times where people itching for a fight take it out on door staff when they aint allowed in.

i wouldn't want the job.
Old 20-10-2008, 03:55 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

big ern used to do a bit.........................
Old 20-10-2008, 03:56 PM
steveturbocal
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

my cousins a doorman i think he does it as a full time job and i dont think he gets to much trouble. i.e scraps, i do remember on his wedding day his best man is a door man to and he is fooking hugh like over 6ft tall and about 9ft wide he had a nice black eye on the wedding day looked quite funny on the weding pictures. ive always thought about doing but never been to sure really
Old 20-10-2008, 03:57 PM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Originally Posted by cheeky dog
door staff are normally pricks so the general opinions of the public are they're all pricks. seen it happen loads of times where people itching for a fight take it out on door staff when they aint allowed in.

i wouldn't want the job.
i aint a prick mate and other blokes i know arent too
Old 20-10-2008, 04:24 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mike not in this town mate, looked at going back to it end of last year and it was bollocks.
Talked to one place and it was 6.80 an hour

A mate's just gone back to it after 3 years out of it and he love's it!

The main problem is the majority of the old school door lad's have criminal record's and are not allowed to work now, so your left with people who arse's might fall out if it kick's off
Old 20-10-2008, 04:35 PM
PF Ben
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do it at the weekends for a bit of beer money and love it. It's great getting to know the regulars and if your attitude's right you earn respect and don't have things kicking off every five minutes.

Well worth having as a buffer in current financial climes - something you can always fall back on if things go tits up with jobs / money etc.

Check out your local venues and the firms that run the doors - if the places are sh*t and the doorman don't seem your cup of tea look for another area.

Ben
Old 20-10-2008, 04:51 PM
ESCYSCOTT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

a mate of mine's brother in law is one..........he gets loads of fanny!!!! LOL

On the down side though, he's been threatened with knives and even a gun so it aint all rosey and jim!!
Old 20-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Stoo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by stevenebm
ask stoo.he is a doorman..............at mothercare
No, no. I don't work there. I was just standing outside while your bird went in looking for baby clothes. Did you hear I'm going to be a dad?

My brother used to do work security at a few clubs for about 5 years, he always got on okay with it but then he had a few very bad incidents and just called it quits. Like someone said if you get to work at a good bar or club it should be okay but it's not a job I'd like.
Old 20-10-2008, 05:08 PM
bloopeta
Regular Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have done this as my only job for around 6 years now, as with any job, it has its ups and downs, its not for everyone.

The money is quite good,its pretty much full time wage for part time hours, however I must be honest, if I could find a normal run of the mill job, that paid the same amount of money, for the same amount of hours, I would pack in tomorrow.

A few years ago I wouldnt have changed jobs for the world, but one the SIA licencing came into play, it all went to shit, and now theres pretty much a shortage of decent lads, alot of the bigger companies now have to many positions, so are using muppets who've never worked a shift in there life. Not the sort of people who you want beside you in a kick off.
Old 20-10-2008, 06:34 PM
nickscunny
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to be a doorman around 2000. I was cornered in the toilets and threatened with a samuri sword and my mate was severly kicked with steel toe capped boots by an angry squaddie. He had his ball-bag split open and he is now infertile....

I would never do it again....
Old 21-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Since the licencing alot of good lads cant work the doors now.

The right place its easy money, the wrong place and your busy, and gotta watch your back and every other fuckers in the club.

Know a guy who was on the fiddle with the admission money, he was ripping the place off proper, 900 capacity club, 300 clicks and you couldnt move inside it was that busy
Old 21-10-2008, 09:39 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

I keep meaning to do my license, I will do one day
Old 22-10-2008, 08:20 AM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i was asking this a few years back. ive been working the doors in one capacity or another for about 2 1/2 years now, about 2 years 'properly', in town centre bars and clubs having started off on a holiday campsite entertainments place while waiting for my badge.

my answer to your question is yes. aslong as youre not to bothered about missing out on your social life.

you have to have the right attitude though, theres alot of young lads my age or younger (im 22) who are out to prove themselves, impress, whatever you want to call it, and alot that put up the front but are scared shitless when it goes tits up. even blokes who're twice my age. if youre one of them you wont get on and wont enjoy it.

never go to work with anything to proove, never back down from a situation, and never hesitate. the doormen you work with will spot this, word will get round and other doormen will genuinely respect you 100 times more for it than the roided up big men with a frown on and a point to prove. it makes the job so much more enjoyable when its like this too, feels good to know that im working the roughest venue in town next to the boss of the firm and the oldschool blokes who're hard as nails, because ive gained their respect that way.

always speak to punters with respect and not like a dickhead, and 99 times out of 100 people will show you the respect back, and often stick up for you when you need an extra set of hands.

it can be boring but its a good laugh when you can chat and muck about with other guys, theres great comradery amongst doormen, and the adrenaline buzz when it gets lairy is one of the main things that keeps me doing it. there is always the risk of injury but it comes with the job tittle and the wages. im still suffering from having my thumb ripped out of socket a few weeks back, another doorman is off with a broken thumb, and theres always bumps and bruises, but - its part of the job.

i saw if you recon youve got the right attitude for it and arnt scared to get stuck into a scrap then get on and go for it.

fuck me thats an essay
Old 22-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Jamie@FastFord
Jamie @ Fast Ford

I worked the doors for about 5 years, and decided to pack it in last year when my SiA badge expired. It's like everything, you get good nights where it is easy money, and then you have shit nights when it's kicking off every two minutes and you really have to earn your money.

For me though it was the little pricks with a chip on their shoulder who always think they've got something to prove that wound me up. They'd continue to push you and push you but would never quite overstep the mark or make the first move, so you couldn't slap them. That is soooooooo frustrating and used to really get to me.

On the plus side though you do get to make some really good mates and once you're all suited and booted you can take your pick with the ladies!
Old 23-10-2008, 01:28 AM
BigJim19
COS i'm WORTH it

i used to do the doors round my way, had some great nights, worked a lot in wilmslow, where half the coronation street cast live and the north west based footballers, so had some laughs with them, but at the same time, been threatened with knives, shot at, had some muppet pull a gun on me a my buddy on a random tuesday night, thank fook he was bladdered, and could hardly hold himself up never mind anything else! lets just say he was er, taken care of........

after having my motor trashed, a S1 at the time and sick of searching for the bits to replace them, the late nights all week, just wasn;t worth all the hassle, even when you weren't working you ended up helping out when you were on a night out, if it all booted off......

unfortunatley in this life there is no easy money anymore........ doorman used to be respected, but not anymore, they are the target for the chavs and there army of scallies, as they're all too much of a pussy to go one on one anymore.........!!
Old 23-10-2008, 01:48 AM
Raz.
New driver!

My Mum was one of the first female door supervisors in Blackpool working at a dump called "Heaven & Hell". She did it alongside her day job in the civil service simply because of the extra income. She didn't mind it, she took no shit from anyone and only once did someone try and push her around (not the best idea).
Old 23-10-2008, 07:04 AM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by cheeky dog

i wouldn't want the job.

bit of a harsh statement mate.thats like saying all police are cocks.
there are good ones of bith out there and also bad ones.

i have thought about the doors ages back,as i have a good number of good mates in it.but tbh there are a few reasons i didnt and wouldnt.

1. im too hot headed and i dont like people abusing me and spitting at me etc so would lose my rag.

2. the whole thing now is a joke,people try to stab you,glass you shoot you nowdays and all the door staff seem to get done for excess force for even touching a blokes shoulder so its ok for them to come at you but you cant do much back.

3.i wouldnt want to be looking over my shoulder all the time wondering if when you are out for a meal or shopping with the lady,is some little twat you refused entry or had to eject,going to come at you randomly

i admire the lads that do it as its not an easy job.pissed or drugged people are not rational and not easy to deal with
Old 23-10-2008, 07:45 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

did it years ago before the licence was brought in to protect the cunts that bring trouble , and tbh with the licence has come along the fanny door men , been to several big venues over the years and the might be one or two blokes that can handle themselves and situations and have good judgement but the majority take there time to deal with potentially dangerous problems because there actually scared but love to look the part .

so my advice if your going to do it then get on a good crew as you are only as good as your crew as you have to trust them to back you up and put ur life in the trust of them , i wouldnt trust 8 out of 10 i see running doors to make a drink of tea let alone watch my back
Old 23-10-2008, 07:59 AM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

bullett, regards point number 1. ive got a fairly good temper but its still gets me going when people give me verbal, but spitting sends me mental. just have to laugh it off as much as possible though, which is what most guys do. it then becomes a couple blokes giving you verbal to doorman laughing at a couple of pissheads. everyone watching knows the pissed up idiots will get a pasting, including the pissheads, so normally they fuck off while they still have some pride left.

point number 2 is not true in my experience. i realise that each police force might view things differently, and perhaps being in a relatively small town helps in my case as alot of the coppers know the regular doorstaff.

i worked as a 'street warden' basiclly just a mobile doorman paid for by the venues in town as an extra pair of hands if it got silly. ive been clearly visible (fluro orange jacket ) to cctv in the street kneeing elbowing and punching people in amongst fights but never had anything said as its obvious it was in self defense/defense of another. its very rare and has to be pretty serious for a doorman to be cautioned or arrested round here. as long as you arnt obviously just being agressive and a cunt for no reason theres never an issue. i dont know if they just dont give a fuck or if they have a decent attitude towards it.

point number 3, if you speak to people with respect, you shouldnt have to worry so much. ive never had any grief from people after dealing with them on the doors. you'll find some folk you kick out will even befriend you afterwards if youre not a cock about it

this is all just from my own experience, different areas like central birmingham and london might have a few more grade A cunts per venue and my statements might not apply!
Old 23-10-2008, 08:00 AM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Jay.
did it years ago before the licence was brought in to protect the cunts that bring trouble , and tbh with the licence has come along the fanny door men , been to several big venues over the years and the might be one or two blokes that can handle themselves and situations and have good judgement but the majority take there time to deal with potentially dangerous problems because there actually scared but love to look the part .

so my advice if your going to do it then get on a good crew as you are only as good as your crew as you have to trust them to back you up and put ur life in the trust of them , i wouldnt trust 8 out of 10 i see running doors to make a drink of tea let alone watch my back
too true.
Old 23-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

XR-STU, maybe ts because i live in a garrison town then
Old 23-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

my mates a few of my mates have done theres and asking me to do mine, its around 500 quid for it all in

but as jay says its about the team your with, one of the blackpool piss ups the doorman got kicked the fuck out of

now thats the thing thats bad cause when you see a doorman LOSE control every cunts gonnan wanna make a name ruling the place, not sure if i will bother or not as its a few mate who wanna start a company in a few areas that they got pally with the managers ect so its gonna be easy money if it takes off

Quick Reply: Anyone here a doorman?