General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anyone work in Advertising??? Advice pls.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008 | 09:28 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Default Anyone work in Advertising??? Advice pls.

Right... I need a little help.

Got a friend, a good friend. ( I know amazing eh)

She has a First Class honours degree in Visual Communication- Graphic Design- "Advertising" and is finding it difficult to get a job... shes 20's and has work experience etc.

Firstly - Has been told because shes not in London shes got no chance.

Secondly - Apparently she needs to work as part of a team of 2 and is telling me that normally employers employ 2 people at a time "art director" and "copy writer" as part of a team and is finding the person she normally works with, now they're in the real world of advertising is struggling etc.

I am trying to offer advice and help but am failing to see how she needs to be employed with another person and why she cant just go it alone? (every man for themself and all that)

I am also struggling to see why exactly a young, bright and inteligent girl with a first class honours degree in advertising cant get a junior job (on her own) with resonable career prospects and oppourtunities.

Anyone got any words of wisdom??- or job offers LOL

Jake

(and for all the passionford pervs, no I am not trying to tap her!!! )
Old 06-10-2008 | 09:59 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well...

Been there done that.

I was 2 years out of uni, almost, before i got a design job, pretty much constantly on job sites, job centre etc etc... looking for anything, applying for jobs 2 -200 miles away. Had a few interviews, but always got the usual "we decided to go with someone who has some experience"

Now, im in a design job, which is good. The ironic thing is, i left school, went to uni, studed for nearly 4 years, came out, eventually got a job, and of all the things, working at the same level as me now is a boy i went to school with! He's got no degree, just right place right time, now has 4 years experience on me, not to mention 4 years earnings whilst i was a student!

As for having to be in London, i heard that too, what alot of pish. Yes, the designers who are recognised, win awards and generally hoity toity, full of themselves cunts that are all chat and knock up some good graphics now and then tend to be in London, but it is NOT the be all and end all some people in the industry would let her/me/other young designers think. (Don't get me wrong, London is a busy place, and good jobs are most definately available.)

In terms of jobs, it sounds like she is quite specific, she wants a studio job. They are the most saught after, arguably the most rewarding come payday but obviously the hardest to get. I have heard of the companies employing 2/3 at a time, but i wouldnt let that put her off, she needs to put as many CV's, as many CD's loaded with her work through as many doors as possible, 2/3 to the same place, FAO different people if need be.

The other options she should consider - sign writers, web designers, printers, newspaper work etc etc... there are other avenues if she is willing to work in a more "shop floor" environment as opposed to a studio.

Sorry to go on a bit, but i know exactly how she feels, i thought id wasted years at uni however it is paying back now. She will get a job, she just needs to be flexible, willing to do anything, get a few years under her belt then the good jobs come to her (so they say, i still need to wait and see!)

Hope that helps a bit, at least gives her a second opinion anyway.
Old 06-10-2008 | 10:01 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Originally Posted by Shings

(and for all the passionford pervs, no I am not trying to tap her!!! )
Well....thats put pay to my punchline then
Old 06-10-2008 | 10:01 PM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

shes got a honours degree and shes 20? i thought a honours degree was 3 years full time course??

and tell her to find out which company does all the advertising for bmw, mercedes etc they will more than likley considder her.
Old 06-10-2008 | 10:04 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by R5FORD
shes got a honours degree and shes 20? i thought a honours degree was 3 years full time course??

and tell her to find out which company does all the advertising for bmw, mercedes etc they will more than likley considder her.

Sorry- mid 20's lol....
Old 06-10-2008 | 10:06 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Coldo
Well...

Hope that helps a bit, at least gives her a second opinion anyway.
Mate, it does help... any sort of encouragement is good as shes a bit lost at the moment and I am just trying to be helpfull.

End of the day I am just going to send her the link to this thread anyways- so stuff like this is helpfull also.

J
Old 06-10-2008 | 10:11 PM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Shings
Sorry- mid 20's lol....

i was gona say ate she must be some super woman if shes done the degree and had work experience by 20