General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

the $ vs £ exchange rate

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008 | 06:36 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Default the $ vs £ exchange rate

right as it stands the USD/GBP rate is around 1.76 and has been steady dropping the past few times ive checked.

i want to know peoples opinions in what itll do over the next few weeks as im going to the US at the end of the month.

will this $700bn bail out business theyre going on about strengthen or weaken the dollar? and if so will it do so within the next three weeks?

i want to know if i should get my money now or wait til closer to the time depending if its due to go up or down?
Old 04-10-2008 | 06:40 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It's the £ that's the problem not the dollar.
If things pick up here quicker than the U.S then the rate will go in our favour.
Otherwise it will get worse.

Old 04-10-2008 | 06:47 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

well yeah i know the strength of the pound has just as much to do with it, but i was mainly wondering how that 700billion will effect the value of the dollar. im not really sure how it all works so hence me asking.

i know it was meant to stablise the economy but unsure of its effect on the exchange rate as such a large ammount of money being transfered from one place to another between federal and public banks must effect things in one way or another.
Old 05-10-2008 | 09:27 AM
SapphyMike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Depends where the money is coming from.

If they're having to print it as such, then its going to weaken the dollar.

if they're transferring it from other funds, and it stabilises the US economy, then it will strengthen it.

Its one of the reasons the UK Government doesnt just produce billions of pounds, as it has an affect on the value of the pound.
Old 05-10-2008 | 10:01 AM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The U.S are "Making $700bn available" I don't think they are going to dump it in all in one go.
So if things improve at $300bn they may stop the funds.

Same thing we are doing as well I believe.

The price of oil has dropped and pump prices are dropping now as well, so in the near future "the Crisis" may stall, for a short while, long enough for the $bn and £bn rescue to kick in.
Or maybe not.