General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Is there any justice in this world?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there any justice in this world?

one of my best friends friend's brother was killed a few months back, he was attacked for saying he didnt smoke and the impact of the punch which threw him to the floor killed him basically, the lad who pleaded guilty to manslaughter has been in court today

18 fucking months for killing someone for no reason whatsoever. Im absolutely shocked. What sort of judge would pass a sentence that lenient?

The victims brother came out of court and this is what he said.

"The person who attacked Gavin was sentenced to 18-months imprisonment today for the killing.
As well as his father, brother and uncle being imprisoned for killing, the defendant also had three prior separate convictions for robbery, carrying a blade and racist intimidation as well as not honoring the terms of his current community service order

We are in total shock at the leniency the Judge has shown - he would not allow us to read out our Impact statement in court – which should be allowed under CPS guidelines, though he made reference to the letter the defendant had written to him explaining the distress this had caused his family, and how a prison sentence would mean he wouldn’t be around for his two kids.

Part 2:

On the night of the attack the defendant and the people hanging around with him on the streets had been drinking a crate of lager. He approached Gavin asking for a cigarette and Gavin told him ‘sorry mate, I don’t smoke’ to which he then punched Gavin, knocking him cold, with the impact of Gain’s head hitting the concrete causing massive head trauma
Basically, Gavin was instantly brain dead – and had no chance of survival. It is worth pointing out as well, that Gavin’s wallet and ID were not with him at the scene of the attack – but were found many hours later well away from the scene.
There is a logical inference that Gavin was also robbed, as the other’s present at the time of his attack have a track record of theft and burglary.
All we can ask is if you can send a little strength our way, as right now we feel as though Gavin has been killed for the second time "

If thats all the punishment people get its no wonder youths today dont take manslaughter or murder serious, its hardly a deterrent is it

Sarah
Old 02-10-2008, 02:55 PM
alan12112
Focus St mk2 310 bhp :D

FFS i'm shocked at that decision, is there anyway you can fight it?
Old 02-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

There's just no deterrent anymore that's one of the many reasons why this country's in the shit state it's in!
Old 02-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Matt Evans
Black Country RSOC

What a disgraceful outcome.

The justice system is a farce, total farce.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:59 PM
slowpoke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

this country is fucked

he should of got life for the killing as that is what he took

eye for an eye an all that

the judge should be ashamed and i would deffo see if his sentance could be increased

im embarased to say im english

matt
Old 02-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

my mate said the lad who died's sister ( her mate ) is absolutely devastated, she was expecting him to get a short sentence but nowhere near as short as that.

So realistically hes killed someone for no reason and will lose a year of his life, if that

Disgusting
Old 02-10-2008, 03:00 PM
bbspolo
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

unbeliveable !!!
I know if that happened 2 me and that was my brother id be counting down the 18 months and would be waiting for him as soon as he steped out!!

Some things are worth going 2 jail for!
Old 02-10-2008, 03:00 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The justice system is a farce, total farce.

Completely agree
Old 02-10-2008, 03:03 PM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Fucking piss take. Makes me sick. No justice in this country at all I'm afraid. My dad's house was broken into a few years back on X Mas eve when we were at the pub. They found the neighbours fingerprints all over the house, his shoe prints in the flower bed from where he climbed over the back garden fence linking his garden to my dads, and the fact the fence was pushed half over with him crossing it and bundling things over. Police said there was lack of evidence. Dispite his next door neighbours having drugs and burglary offences against them.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Absolutely disgusting. He should of got 18 years. What is all this 'I wont be their for my kids'. How dare he say such a thing after killing someone.

I read this out to my mum, she was upset.

Benni.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:06 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Thats fucking terrible they kind of sentinces are just going to encourage other ppl in the same boat to plea the same as this boy did to try wing it.Fucking little prick hope he gets whats coming to him inside
Old 02-10-2008, 03:06 PM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

This happened a mile or so from my house, I went to school with the family of the murderers.
yes 3 of the same close family 2 brothers and the father have all killed someone for no reason

lawless scum basicly

steve
Old 02-10-2008, 03:08 PM
mince
pass the rizlas

Welcome to Great Britain 2008. It's a fucking disgrace.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:09 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

my mates brother got shot in the head, point blank, the guy walked up to him in a bar and pulled the trigger

he said he didn't realise the gun was loaded at the time and sobbed about it being hard to live with killing his "mate"

even though he was packing because he was a dealer and some other dealers were after him (they got busted for waiting outside the bar tooled up when the police were called)

he got 3 years in an "open" prison despite a big campaign aginst it

the rules suck

sorry to hear about your mates mate sarah
Old 02-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by the youth
This happened a mile or so from my house, I went to school with the family of the murderers.
yes 3 of the same close family 2 brothers and the father have all killed someone for no reason

lawless scum basicly

steve
Ste it was my chief bridesmaids best friends brother who was killed

I hope they are going to appeal, although i imagine its the last thing on their mind going through it again
Old 02-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by dojj
my mates brother got shot in the head, point blank, the guy walked up to him in a bar and pulled the trigger

he said he didn't realise the gun was loaded at the time and sobbed about it being hard to live with killing his "mate"

even though he was packing because he was a dealer and some other dealers were after him (they got busted for waiting outside the bar tooled up when the police were called)

he got 3 years in an "open" prison despite a big campaign aginst it

the rules suck

sorry to hear about your mates mate sarah
best mate is gutted I just cant get over the judge reading his letter out pleading about his kids yet not letting the victims family read out theirs
Old 02-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

when looking on the CPS guidelines it says they recommend minimum sentence to start at 3yrs for manslaughter

WTF was the judge thinking

Sarah
Old 02-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know what to say tbh,

Sorry to read this Sarah.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:15 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry for your loss,but it's typical of the "justice" system in this country,cunts like him should be hung.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:16 PM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

strangely there is a lad at my work,that works for a civil contractor, has recently just got out of prison after serving 10 years for punching a bloke in a fight, the lad hit his head and died, strangely the lad is as quiet as a mouse and if you didn't know the history you wouldn't think he could harm a flea.
just a warning that you only have to hit someone once to change lives forever..

steve
Old 02-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

doesnt it make you wonder though, are they passing such lenient sentences because the prisons are overcrowded, or because they dont think manslaughter is serious

quite worrying to think the judges are this lenient and not keeping murderers off the streets

I didnt know the victim personally but how on earth his family will be getting over it i dont know
Old 02-10-2008, 03:18 PM
dojj

unfortunatly they will probably have charged him with manslaughter due to there being no premeditated actions leading up to the attack

and, the judge should have also been thinking about the victims family, it seems that "justice" is biased towards the defendant and their incarcerations affects on their families, rather than being fairly weighted towards the victims who's families and friends aren't considered in the sentancing

if his 2 kids didn't have a nasty cunt of a father, then they'd be able to spend more time with him, hardly their fault but it would probably have done them more favours him not being in their lives if this is what he is going to be bringing to their education
Old 02-10-2008, 03:20 PM
fish99
Advanced PassionFord User

Thats disgusting.. If he was worried about not being around for his kids then he shouldnt have thrown the punch.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:21 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by Dicko&Sarah
doesnt it make you wonder though, are they passing such lenient sentences because the prisons are overcrowded, or because they dont think manslaughter is serious

quite worrying to think the judges are this lenient and not keeping murderers off the streets

I didnt know the victim personally but how on earth his family will be getting over it i dont know
i have always maintained that prison is there as a deterent, if you know you are going to go away for a while you will give your actions ab it more thought

rehabilitation, which seems to be everyones favorite word, should be for afterwards

and if you get handed 10 years, you should do 10 years, not 5

if you lock up all the scrotes, there will be less trouble if they are kept off teh streets in single cells for 10 years than being pampered and sent off on holidays for 5 weeks and then let back out again
Old 02-10-2008, 03:25 PM
AuralisBeauty
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Truely horrible thing to read...

As said many times above. Judicial system in this country is a total joke....
Old 02-10-2008, 03:56 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

there should be some sort of sentance that shold be a minimum if you kill anyone...no matter the circumstances, that sentance is just wrong.

the judge should be shot.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:57 PM
timrud
BANNED
BANNED

A death is always an awful thing, and my full condolences to the victims family and friends.

However, anybody who has posted actually aware of the manslaughter law?

Or are you all just seeing somebody has died and ignoring all the facts?

The important thing here is the intent. There are two ways of killing somebody with one punch. Firstly the actualy punch can cause a hemmorage, death has occoured instantly. The second way is when the body hits the floor, which is this case.

If I WANTED to kill somebody I would not try and punch them. The intent here was clearly to cause bodily harm, not death. TBH the sentence is more than I expected to see (12 months).

Just because he was a chav going on what you have posted about his past does not give the court a right to whack his sentence up.

I'm just trying to make you understand how the sentence was reached. If he had gone not guilty then he could of seen 3 years.

If the sentence is unduely leanient then the CPS can appeal to the high court, though that would be a big surprise to me.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:01 PM
rsnissan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

what a wast of tax payers money.................gotta feel GUTTED for teh victims family even more of an insult after what they have gone through!
Old 02-10-2008, 04:05 PM
CozzyKing
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

The problem is too many people think that they can't change anything but if they all got off their backsides and pulled their fingers out and said no more the government and the judicial system would have to listen so if you feel there has been any injustice where you, someone else you know or whatever is concerned don't just sit there and say nothing speak up and get them to listen.
I believe that anyone can solve a problem if enough people speak up and help out so get a petition together and get as many people to sign it as possible and present it to the courts.
The country is screwed because nobody bothers to speak out about anything because they are scared of being labelled!
SPEAK UP AND STOP BEING COWARDS THATS WHAT I SAY!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2008, 04:13 PM
timrud
BANNED
BANNED

I don't see what is wrong?

If I punched somebody and killed them I would be miffed if I got life as I didn't mean to do it. I would accept a proportional custodial sentence in leau of the bad fortune it had ended in a fatality.

There is plenty of case law on the matter, this is nothing out of the ordinary.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:24 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by timrud
I don't see what is wrong?

If I punched somebody and killed them I would be miffed if I got life as I didn't mean to do it. I would accept a proportional custodial sentence in leau of the bad fortune it had ended in a fatality.

There is plenty of case law on the matter, this is nothing out of the ordinary.
I understand what you're saying, the killing wasn't intended.
However, you've done something wrong, which has resulted in a life being taken.
18 months is a bit low.
Does deserve a few years.
Maybe not 20 years+ as per pre-meditated set out to kill someone, but a few years nevertheless.

This is why I'm wary of ever hitting anyone, wrong punch and they're dead, just not worth the chance.

Sad reading indeed.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:48 PM
timrud
BANNED
BANNED

One punch killings happen more often than you realise.

I can see why there is public outcry here, but people need to calm down and think rationally. Imagine it was you doing the punch, never done anything wrong before, 10 or 20 years in the slammer would be bum deal meal.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:49 PM
timrud
BANNED
BANNED

Remember with his 18 months he will of been given full credit for his guilty plea, which I imagine will of been at the earliest oppertunity. Not guilty would of been 3 years (ish), which IMO is a fair starting point for sentencing.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:51 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Indeed, but 18 months (out in a year?) is an insult to life don't you think?
Got to be 5 years I'd have thought.

Imagine if it was 10 years+, may cut down on assaults.
Soft sentences are to blame for the lawless society we find ourselves in now.
Punch someone because you feel like it, kill them, get a year in the nick.
Not too much worth worrying about a year is it?
Old 02-10-2008, 04:55 PM
BANNED
BANNED

should of been 4 years
Old 02-10-2008, 04:56 PM
timrud
BANNED
BANNED

Yes and no. Stiff sentences for guns (5 years for possestion) doesn't seen to deter those who want to do it.

End of the day, you can glam this up how you like, it was a freak accident. I have seen people not even go to prison for killing somebody when driving, as until recently there was either death by dangerous (for bad driving), or the next step down was driving without due care and attention, which you cannot have a custodial sentence for.

Now that WAS an injustice. Now it has changed though
Old 02-10-2008, 05:01 PM
ECOS95
Advanced PassionFord User

Lost for words.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:02 PM
jumpin jack crash
its a gas gas gas

Originally Posted by A J
There's just no deterrent anymore that's one of the many reasons why this country's in the shit state it's in!
thats exactly what i thought when i was reading through the first post. britain is a fuckin joke right now. its getting to the point that when shocking things like this happen its not a shock no more, its just a everyday occurance...
Old 02-10-2008, 05:12 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

words fail me! - RIP

its a sorry state; but because it was manslaughter the intent to kill wasnt there; his intent could have been to give him a black eye - hence the pathetic sentance

no wonder some many English people are leaving this country, its always the innocent folk that suffer in this country

Matt
Old 02-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Mark 3D

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me that this disgrace of a judge's decision will be appealed!?

Quick Reply: Is there any justice in this world?