General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

My Car on the rollers - Update 16th Feb 2010

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 09:49 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok cool Mike. My mistake. Sorry.

Where have you got it from that Chip assumes Mark doesnt know what he is doing? Time for you to take Chip off ignore i think and actually have a discussion.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
I was laughing at your optimism, I'd already posted a "" .

Regarding Chip's comment (thanks for quoting it Doug ), he can assume Mark doesn't know what he is doing and that at 2.2 bar it will be 350bhp, and I'll assume that he does and it will be more like 440bhp.

We'll see who is nearest on Thursday ?
God you really are a total moron Mike.

I said nothing of the sort, so dont put words into my mouth just to try and hide the fact that yet again you are spouting utter nonsense when you havent got a clue what you are on about.

Stop pretending you have the first clue about things like compressor maps when you clearly DONT, as it just confuses other people who are trying to learn.

All that map tells you, is a vague range of possible values at that boost level, nothing specific at all about what power it will make, if you knew what a compressor map represented you would realise this like the rest of us do!
Old 01-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by CossieRich

Where have you got it from that Chip assumes Mark doesnt know what he is doing? Time for you to take Chip off ignore i think and actually have a discussion.
I think he prefers to just put his fingers in his ears and pretend no one is actually noticing that he is totally misleading people by pretending to know what he is on about when he doesnt!
Old 01-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chip
No, you couldnt.

That turbo at 2.2 bar will flow between 33 and 46 lbs of air and still be comfortabley on the map, so all you could tell is it would be between 350 and 480bhp, you cant tell ANYTHING else from the compressor map of that turbo with regards to how much power it will make at that boost, so athough i am right and you are wrong on this subject i feel we have been letting a silly little disagreement get between our friendship and it has been affecting the generally good camadarie on PF. I think we should draw a line and become buddies again, kiss and make up, and resume our friendship with some light hearted banter about man love

Mike, didn't realise you had Chip on "ignore".

I actually cut the non factual bit off the bottom before quoting it. Full version above.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Chip

LOL @ Doug.

Ive got nothing at all against Mike, and just everything against utter nonsense, ANYONE who had said the same utter rubbish that Mike did, would have got the same response from me, nothing personal about it at all, I would just prefer PF to be full of accurate information not the slander and technical nonsense that Mike occasionally wanders off and engages in like he has done in this thread (it always seems to be the moment MAD is mentioned that he spits his dummy out on here, but maybe thats just co-incidence).

Mike doesnt like being corrected and he doesnt like people pointing out when he is being a total hypocrit like happened recently when I pointed out what utter shit he was talking about dynos, so he has thrown his toys out of the pram and declared that we are no longer friends and all that childish nonsense
Personally I cant see the point in falling out over someone correcting someone else on the internet, it gets corrected, everyone realises he was talking nonsense or being a hypocrit again, and that to me then is the end of it, and it shouldnt effect offline friendships.
Im not going to judge him as a person just cause he posts nonsense on here, and I dont see why he would want to judge me just for correcting him when he does it.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:18 AM
joffy
SLOW LEARNER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well said chip
Old 01-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Mike C
The Special One

411bhp

408lb/ft
Old 01-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

What rolling road did you have it measured at, and was this just a peak or a held figure?
peak/hold 28 psi and on a dd roler what bhp at 6250 at 28 psi ?
Old 01-10-2008, 10:29 AM
Trotter
Banned

425bhp maximum on standard head ports,thats what i heard very interested to see.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:56 AM
joffy
SLOW LEARNER

hold on jay, mikes just checking his compressor atlas lol
Old 01-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by joffy
hold on jay, mikes just checking his compressor atlas lol
whilst on the bat phone to harvey
Old 01-10-2008, 11:31 AM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

I bet Mike wishes Phil was still around to take all his attention away ...
Old 01-10-2008, 11:36 AM
space hoppers
Advanced PassionFord User

change of tact simon are you now divorced
Old 01-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Because from the compressor map he is saying there is a possibility Mark will only see 350bhp @ 2.2 bar, whereas I have looked at the compressor map and thought that Mark will get the most that the turbo can achieve at that boost (with a small reduction for head port size) .

Hence I have given a figure of 440bhp based on a best guesstimate on the c/r you have posted, the assumed ignition values for that c/r (late teens on the top line), the compressor map for the turbo and the boost you are going to run.

Jay,
I would "guess" at 360-370bhp .
Old 01-10-2008, 11:43 AM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by space hoppers
change of tact simon are you now divorced
No mate not yet , its a bit of friendly banter aimed at another user
Old 01-10-2008, 11:46 AM
space hoppers
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor
No mate not yet , its a bit of friendly banter aimed at another user

ok im with ya. are you off work as your on here more than usual
Old 01-10-2008, 11:47 AM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by space hoppers
ok im with ya. are you off work as your on here more than usual
My new contract is on a computer network that has internet access.
I am working hard lol
Old 01-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Chip

Because from the compressor map he is saying there is a possibility Mark will only see 350bhp @ 2.2 bar, whereas I have looked at the compressor map and thought that Mark will get the most that the turbo can achieve at that boost (with a small reduction for head port size) .
Im saying the compressor map says there is a possibility mark will see only 350bhp, it also says there is a possibility he will see 480bhp or so, it also says potentially he will see surge at certain RPM points depending on the VE of the engine.

I know from personal experience he wont see 350bhp, but there is NOTHING on the compressor map that tells me that to be a fact.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Oh look, Chips at it again....

and on and on and on x1000

I reckon 400+bhp and 400+ torque
Old 01-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Westy
Oh look, Chips at it again....

and on and on and on x1000
If you believe there to be an error in something I have posted, then point it out so your post has some merit.

If you simply dont like lots of accurate posts by me, then click on ignore.

Either way there is no point at all in you commenting on it.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Jay,
you see read a compressor map will idicate what a turbo can do in a correct enviroment but its not always the case

so the answer mike 280 bhp with 8 degrees of ignition so the next run i added 5 degrees from 5000rpm to 7000 then see 330 bhp , after several runs and det checking eventually ended up with 19 degrees of ignition and 383 bhp ande a stable egt so looking at a compressor map isnt god and to think you can add restrictions like shit airflow through the cooler and head then charge temps deducting ignition if to high so imo a compressor map means theres a rough ball park imo as the end results is only obtained if IF the total spec either works by luck or is correct then the person who can map a car that is spot on .

So ideally it will do what it says on the can but rarely does lol due incerficant spec or mapping
Old 01-10-2008, 12:02 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Hence I have given a figure of 440bhp based on a best guesstimate on the c/r you have posted, the assumed ignition values for that c/r (late teens on the top line), the compressor map for the turbo and the boost you are going to run.

Jay,
i havent seen a comp map for my turbo. What is the most bhp it can run and at what boost?
Old 01-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by Jay.
you see read a compressor map will idicate what a turbo can do in a correct enviroment but its not always the case

so the answer mike 280 bhp with 8 degrees of ignition so the next run i added 5 degrees from 5000rpm to 7000 then see 330 bhp , after several runs and det checking eventually ended up with 19 degrees of ignition and 383 bhp ande a stable egt so looking at a compressor map isnt god and to think you can add restrictions like shit airflow through the cooler and head then charge temps deducting ignition if to high so imo a compressor map means theres a rough ball park imo as the end results is only obtained if IF the total spec either works by luck or is correct then the person who can map a car that is spot on .

So ideally it will do what it says on the can but rarely does lol due incerficant spec or mapping
Read what I posted you nuggart .

I already KNEW his c/r (he posted it), I already KNEW what turbo (he posted it), I already guessed at the ignition values they would be trying to run (late teens as per my post above ), so I just needed the boost pressure to give a guestimate of power (it was the only thing I wasn't 100% sure of ). So in effect, asking for the boost pressure being used was the final piece of the puzzle to enable a calculated guess rather than plucking a figure out of thin air .

I've seen enough of these engines to know what ignition value you're going to TRY and end up with .

Why didn't you leave it at 8 degrees if you wanted to prove a point . I think I could work out that Mark isn't as "retarded" as you .
Old 01-10-2008, 12:05 PM
joffy
SLOW LEARNER

not handbags

sorry

Last edited by joffy; 01-10-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

i havent seen a comp map for my turbo. What is the most bhp it can run and at what boost?
Chip has already posted the airflow , so at 46lb, it has the potential to do over 460bhp with the engine VE at optimum .
Old 01-10-2008, 12:07 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Originally Posted by joffy
handbags
actually quite the opposite. Some interesting points being raised on here and technical to. I see under your username you have slow learner. Seems to be correct as this is nothing like handbags what-so-ever
Old 01-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Chip

Actually Jay, what you are saying there is a nonsense.

Mike has already said (or implied) that it is a given that in Mark's case the mapping will be spot on, so I think its fair for him to assume that it wont be 100bhp down due to the wrong ignition values.

A compressor map puts you in a useful ballpark based on some other guesses, it doesnt allow Mike to do what he said which is:
If I had the boost pressure, I could look at the compressor map and see what airflow it was doing at this amount of pressure to get a rough estimate of the power
As it shows airflow at that boost level over a big range, as ive already mentioned, so you cant see what it is doing, you can only see a range of what it can potentially do.
I dont believe he needs a compressor map to know that a GT3071 is vaguely in that sort of ballpark. But maybe ive been unfair and he knows so little about these turbos that he actually DOES need a compressor map just to see what ballpark its in so he can make a complete wild guess, but if thats the case, his reply was worded badly.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:09 PM
FletchCossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I would say 380bhp and 390lbs as the rollers will be reding under powdered that day
Old 01-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

I already KNEW his c/r (he posted it), I already KNEW what turbo (he posted it), I already guessed at the ignition values they would be trying to run (late teens as per my post above ), so I just needed the boost pressure to give a guestimate of power (it was the only thing I wasn't 100% sure of ). So in effect, asking for the boost pressure being used was the final piece of the puzzle to enable a calculated guess rather than plucking a figure out of thin air .

I've seen enough of these engines to know what ignition value you're going to TRY and end up with .

Why didn't you leave it at 8 degrees if you wanted to prove a point . I think I could work out that Mark isn't as "retarded" as you .
sidestep mike so obviously u no the airflow is fine to cope plus other things to be tacken into acount u numpty you cant get bhp figure that easy
Old 01-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Chip

So what did the compressor map tell you that you DIDNT already know, as apparently you said you needed the map?

Did it tell you that a GT3071 is a comfortable as a vaguely 400-450 bhp ballpark turbo?

If so, im amazed you didnt know that already TBH!
Old 01-10-2008, 12:33 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Originally Posted by FletchCossie
I would say 380bhp and 390lbs as the rollers will be reding under powdered that day
you wish Steve. Thats the only way you would be able to beat me when your escos gets back
Old 01-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

sidestep mike so obviously u no the airflow is fine to cope plus other things to be tacken into acount u numpty you cant get bhp figure that easy
I would concede that if it was an engine I knew nothing about VE wise, then looking at the compressor map would not enable me to do anything other than give the range of power that Chip quoted.

However, I have seen enough of these engines to know how they perform at certain airflows and the fact that Rich has listed all his ancilliaries in his resto section (quite a lot of which I actually provided ), I think I can give it a pretty accurate "guess" - we'll see tomorrow won't we ?

Does that make you happy?
Old 01-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

I would concede that if it was an engine I knew nothing about VE wise, then looking at the compressor map would not enable me to do anything other than give the range of power that Chip quoted.

However, I have seen enough of these engines to know how they perform at certain airflows and the fact that Rich has listed all his ancilliaries in his resto section (quite a lot of which I actually provided ), I think I can give it a pretty accurate "guess" - we'll see tomorrow won't we ?

Old 01-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Chip

Of course.

So if you know that the compressor map was only going to give a range that the figure already was blatantly already going to lie within (as per what you just said here), then WHAT did you need the compressor map for?

Thats my WHOLE point, that you are making out you could get useful information from the compressor map for Rich's engine, but the only way that would be true is if you had NO idea at all what sort of airflow a GT3070 is capable of, and surely you must have at least had a vague indication?
Old 01-10-2008, 12:39 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Mike,

you havent provided me with any ancilleries for my engine as it was built 5 years ago before i knew this gay blond haird bloke caled Mike Rainbird existed

Just to make this easy my engine spec:

7.6:1 c/r
BD14 inlet
Standard head ports and standard exhaust cam
GT3071.82
4 x 750cc injectors
Old 01-10-2008, 12:40 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Chip,

Mike cant see what you are writing mate
Old 01-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Chip

Chip,

Mike cant see what you are writing mate
Not a problem, most people can
And when Mike stops having his little tantrum at me, which im sure he will grow up enough to do eventually, he will then be able to see too
Old 01-10-2008, 12:42 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

chip on ignored mode

mike chip said ur a cunt
Old 01-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Mike,

you havent provided me with any ancilleries for my engine as it was built 5 years ago before i knew this gay blond haird bloke caled Mike Rainbird existed

Just to make this easy my engine spec:

7.6:1 c/r
BD14 inlet
Standard head ports and standard exhaust cam
GT3071.82
4 x 750cc injectors
You forgot to mention the intercooler and intake .
Old 01-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

mike chip said ur a cunt
Wouldn't be the first time !

Quick Reply: My Car on the rollers - Update 16th Feb 2010