General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

How far will Cosworth tuning go?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 12:09 PM
Disabled Account
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ooops sorry to pick holes BUT.......How could the same person that said this:
Originally Posted by Bosch Man
Yet another post that backfires on the paranoid
I am more sincere than you could ever be! .
Also say this?:
plus i always have a threat of some jealous haters ganging up on me because the likes of YOU fuel them.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:13 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Mental health problems? Dementia? split personality disorder? alcoholism??

I could think of some others as well Doug
Old 10-11-2004, 12:19 PM
ImaRacing 700
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Doug so you dont think that any of the people that dislike me from here wouldnt try owt???You 100% sure?....As people say cruel things and only one of those people needs to act..so me paranoid...NO....i only wish it was so simple...unfortunately to many me appearing to diss hadland/porkie etc could be enuff to take action....unless of course the pm's texts e-mails are all from net bangers

Steve...high comp gives you drivability before the big explosion of power!...Of course it dont make it spin up quicker you just get loads more torque......
Old 10-11-2004, 12:20 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Once again a perfectly good thread destroyed
Old 10-11-2004, 12:20 PM
Ian2wdsaffcos
Advanced PassionFord User

Phil,

I'm positive Mark could have built Rod an engine with the amount of power he has with gas without BUT it would not have anywhere near the amount of torque his NOS'd engine has (as for ever bhp increase you get roughly 1lb/ft), which is very helpful when trying to accelerate to high speeds in a very short distance...........hence why (apart from the driveability issue) that I think Mark/Rod decided to use NOS rather than a massive power/laggy engine without NOS for the record attempt.

Although I could be totally wrong so if Mark/Rod reads this please feel free to correct me

Cheers,
Ian
Old 10-11-2004, 12:21 PM
ImaRacing 700
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Mental health problems? Dementia? split personality disorder? alcoholism??

I could think of some others as well Doug

Porkie dont be so hard on yourself
Old 10-11-2004, 12:30 PM
Disabled Account
Banned

Doug so you dont think that any of the people that dislike me from here wouldnt try owt???You 100% sure?....As people say cruel things and only one of those people needs to act..so me paranoid...NO....i only wish it was so simple...unfortunately to many me appearing to diss hadland/porkie etc could be enuff to take action....unless of course the pm's texts e-mails are all from net bangers
Phil, I dont think that you have anything to worry about. But TBH some of you posts of late DONT help matters At the very least these recent posts are or "appear" to be sh*t stirring posts aimed fair & square at certain tuners, you (IMO) do this in a mischevoius way that can only back fire on you.

Am I making sense???? I hope so
Old 10-11-2004, 12:35 PM
ImaRacing 700
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Doug i supply the majority of tuners So for me to openly try and diss them would be rather foolish ...which leads me to beleive i am being sincere and its only a minority that see it as a chance to twist it round to make it look like i was being vindictive

MadMac my posts are shit hot imo...except they always turn to shit by a few narrow minded people who cant bring a good converstaion to the table instead lower it to there own level.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Itsmeagain
lo comp and the turbo wouldnt spin up till a fiestas redline
bollocks

compression ratio doesnt have that much to do with when the turbo spins up at all, well not compared to cam/head/turbo spec.

WILL make it less powerful and nice to drive before the boost, but the rpm vs boost will not be drasticly different
Steve...high comp gives you drivability before the big explosion of power!...Of course it dont make it spin up quicker you just get loads more torque......
Make your mind up

And i dont care how much extra comp, it wont be as good as a std n/a car of the same capacity as its still lower comp etc etc so still pretty shite low down like any 2litre n/a car is.

And its a performance engine, who cares what its like off boost, you shouldnt be off boost if you driving it for performance, and like you agreed, comp dont make a real difference to when it comes on boost, so no big deal about low comp

And "loads" more torque? Not seen any proof of that. Thats down to head/cam/turbo/boost again. WRC engines main reason for loads of torque is 3bar boost or there abouts...

And torque is often a serious hinderance not help, look at YOUR car, if it had as much more power but not such a huge midrange torque spike would it wheelspin and scare you like a lil girl and make you wanna turn the boost down? Nope. But itd still accelerate as hard as ever if you in the right gear you should be in.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:54 PM
ImaRacing 700
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Make your mind up
dont get that...i said lo comp and a bigger turbo for huge power would mean serious lag...atleast hi comp would give some nice drivability...remember i have gone from 7-1 to 8-1 and beleive me the difference is big.

Plus steve we talking road cars here.....you cannot even use my piddly amount after 3rd gear or you'd end up inside!

Put it this way i HAVE got over 400ft/lb torque the same as a lo comp 500 plus engine!......I had 8 greens lo comp t4 build and beleive me the mid range punch aint nothing like this
Old 10-11-2004, 12:57 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

MadMac my posts are shit hot imo...except they always turn to shit by a few narrow minded people who cant bring a good converstaion to the table instead lower it to there own level.
What I mean mate is it starts off well and then people start talking shit and everything falls apart
Old 10-11-2004, 12:59 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

T34s always give a bigger midrange punch than a T4 tho due to where they spool up.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:02 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Phil,
You're guessing at your power figures, so stop doing that, it annoys the hell out of me that you assume your arse dyno is 100% as accurate as Dingy's .

What if your last car only had 250lbft as your baseline comparison? Get it on the rollers .
Old 10-11-2004, 01:03 PM
ImaRacing 700
PassionFord Post Whore!!

mine has a t4 exhaust wheel and a bigger than std comp wheel only slightly smaller than the t4 and only spins up 300-400rpm sooner plus doesnt appear to ever what to drop power off fooking awesome turbo
Old 10-11-2004, 01:08 PM
Ian2wdsaffcos

Plus steve we talking road cars here.....you cannot even use my piddly amount after 3rd gear or you'd end up inside!
Don't get this statement at all? You top your car out in 4th against a std cossie with same size wheels on & you'll still be doing pretty much the same speed as each other (barring yours having a slightly higher rev limit)........you'll just get there faster, which doesn't matter to a copper if he catches you both doing the same speed...........or does it?.......i can just see it now

"well Philip, you may well have been doing the same speed as your friend here but he got to 120 substantially slower than you hence why I'm letting him go but sending you for a stay at HMP"
Old 10-11-2004, 01:09 PM
ImaRacing 700
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Mike....ok its got 200ft lb of torque
Old 10-11-2004, 06:05 PM
RANJ
BANNED
BANNED

Old 10-11-2004, 07:30 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by Ian2wdsaffcos
Phil,

I'm positive Mark could have built Rod an engine with the amount of power he has with gas without BUT it would not have anywhere near the amount of torque his NOS'd engine has (as for ever bhp increase you get roughly 1lb/ft), which is very helpful when trying to accelerate to high speeds in a very short distance...........hence why (apart from the driveability issue) that I think Mark/Rod decided to use NOS rather than a massive power/laggy engine without NOS for the record attempt.

Although I could be totally wrong so if Mark/Rod reads this please feel free to correct me

Cheers,
Ian

Totally correct this is exactly what happened. Could have had 700+ off Nitrous but the aim was to exceed 200 down Brunters & so required massive Torque through the range to acclerate fast enough to get there. IT WORKED !!,. Nuf said.
Rod
Old 10-11-2004, 08:25 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

if you cut the bollox out this is a very interesting thread
Old 10-11-2004, 09:01 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Its realy down to how much money/reliabilty/driveabilty you sacrifice to achive your aim,
Race fuel/Nos will make it easier to achive 700hp with drivabilty NOS being the easiest way of doing it,
My aim is always to keep the revs down to a reasonably amount or you end up having to change the gearing to make it useable on the road whats the point of having a engine that comes on boost in 2nd over 60mph as you will end up screaming it in 1st going round a roundabout just to keep it on boost makes a bad road car,
600hp is easy to achive on pump fuel for a road car but making it reliable is what costs the money, Make a normal 600spec engine run 150hp of Nos and you are likely to drop the engine after the 1st 200mph run so its easy to get the Hp on Nos but you need to make sure it is relible also this is the hard part,
I do have a 700hp pump fuel engine on the go now should be ready in 6 months due to the costs involved this also will be run to its topspeed, it will also be run on race fuel aswell to see what it makes.

Mark
Old 10-11-2004, 09:12 PM
space hoppers

you couldnt resist it could you mark
Old 10-11-2004, 09:22 PM
SeanT
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

So, back to the point, how close are you guys too 700 BHP reasonable comp (not fucking high or stupidly low) road driveable cossie lump, can the rest of the drivetrain take it, how much does it cost and are we gonna see more than one affordable budget 600 BHP cossie either rwd or 4wd soon?

Mark has upped the stakes by saying he can produce 700 on pump fuel later in the year, questions now are:

who else is doing it?
how much is it?
how long is it gonna last?
Old 10-11-2004, 09:32 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

the 700hp engine will be as driveable as I can make it not high comp or low but right comp ,
It is going in a pretty radical road spec 2wd with the right type gearbox,
it wont need to rev anymore than 8k, It should last for 20k in normal road use and prob 2k of track use,
Cost not sure prob 15/20k.

Mark
Old 10-11-2004, 09:32 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

how much is it?
how long is it gonna last?
no one wants to say
Old 10-11-2004, 09:34 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Old 10-11-2004, 11:09 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
if you cut the bollox out this is a very interesting thread
Translated that means if you cut out anything IMAs said this is a very interesting thread
Old 10-11-2004, 11:31 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

even phil says somthing sensible occasionally
Old 11-11-2004, 12:00 AM
sunny
PassionFord Post Troll

Are we talking 700 dyno proven hp or the usual run down the road wanna be 700hp?
Old 11-11-2004, 12:08 AM
Fastmaul
K155MYRS

Are we talking 700 engine HP or at the wheels HP?
If that's the case my tuner (who has 623hp at the wheels) has close to 700 engine HP and he drives his car to work.
Not a cossie though it's an XR if that counts?
Old 11-11-2004, 12:09 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

OH here we go

I bet you the minute Sunny pressed submit Dingy awoke from his coffin and was drawn towards a computer for a reply
Old 11-11-2004, 12:15 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by Fastmaul
If that's the case my tuner (who has 623hp at the wheels) has close to 700 engine HP and he drives his car to work.
Not a cossie though it's an XR if that counts?
Pussy engine HP on an engine dyno with no ancilleries to sap power, and more often than not a far less restrictive exhaust than it runs when on the car...
Old 11-11-2004, 12:25 AM
Stuart.W
Regular Contributor

Yes, 700BHP at the wheels and i understand its using a GT42RS turbo, possible the first ever 1000bhp YB (without NOS)

So what engines in the XR dude, is this the 208mph one?
Old 11-11-2004, 01:13 AM
sunny
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Itsmeagain
OH here we go

I bet you the minute Sunny pressed submit Dingy awoke from his coffin and was drawn towards a computer for a reply
@ Steve

I am certain he has a sms notification sent to his mobile everytime me or Ranj click on Submit on Passionford.Same goes for Matt.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:53 AM
Fastmaul
K155MYRS

Originally Posted by Stuart.W
Yes, 700BHP at the wheels and i understand its using a GT42RS turbo, possible the first ever 1000bhp YB (without NOS)

So what engines in the XR dude, is this the 208mph one?
no dude, not that one, ave' a look

Old 11-11-2004, 02:02 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Thas fucking quality! Even with Rhys' ugly mug there

I spy a Tial Wastegegate AND Dumpvalve Good stuff

Nearly as nice manifolds as mine ( https://passionford.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=83748 suprised you not replied Erik!)

Whas the crack with the bleed valve tho for boost control tho!?

What sort of powerband it got Erik? I mean when does it hit a decent amount of boost, and what revs is peak power, and wheres the rev limiter set at? 2.3litre isnt it mate? Whats the Bore/Stroke?

Thasa bit of class tho, any bigtime and clever turbo mota i love a lot, dont care what its from
Old 11-11-2004, 02:21 AM
Fastmaul
K155MYRS

I've seen it Steve your Intake and exhaust is fooking spot on!!!!!
I always forget to ask him about the complete engine set up.

yes Tial BOV and Wastegate (both Taryn and I have the same! )
Oh, Sorry about Rhys, just wanted to show a bit of beauty and the beast!

Steve it's actually a 2.5 stroked block (same as Taryn's! ) t70 turbo, 30psi of boost.
Yes that bleed valve is for boost control, Haltec engine mgmnt. 3 1/2 downpipe to 4inch ex.
Custom ex man & intake he made with 80mm Mustang TB. Aeromotive fuel pump.
Standard T5 with race clutch, custom driveshaft and custom adapted BMW rear. I forgot the rest.
His car caught fire 2 weeks ago, but the fire marshal caught it in time! some
wire damage but that was it. I think he's racing again this up coming weekend (if it doesn't snow)
Old 11-11-2004, 08:57 AM
ImaRacing 700
PassionFord Post Whore!!

So we are gonna see a 700bhp pump fueled Cossie..thats the spirit

Porkie will be annoyed to see another non Reyland record holder
Old 11-11-2004, 09:32 AM
Disabled Account
Banned

Lee!!

Quick, get that leather strap and chew it NOW..........
while counting to 200

===================================
Old 11-11-2004, 09:57 AM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by madevelopments
the 700hp engine will be as driveable as I can make it not high comp or low but right comp ,
it wont need to rev anymore than 8k, It should last for 20k in normal road use and prob 2k of track use,

Mark
fook 2k of track use before what a strip n check or full rebuild
Old 11-11-2004, 10:00 AM
Ian2wdsaffcos

Originally Posted by Kev.H
Originally Posted by madevelopments

Mark
fook 2k of track use before what a strip n check or full rebuild
I think he means 20k road use AND 2k of track use inclusive not either/or?

Quick Reply: How far will Cosworth tuning go?