General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Teaching a dog to bark?

Search this Thread

Old 20-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Teaching a dog to bark?

Ive got a dog, not sure what she is, part Labrador part Pitbull is closest I can explain, and it never, well, hardly ever, barks.

Got it from animal shelter, it had been left abandoned tied up to a lamp post, tho no idea why as its THE best trained best behaved dog we have ever had. Seems odd how someone would train it so well (knows more English than I do I think ) then dump it, but anyhow.

It hardly ever barks. When first got her I wasnt sure she was even able to make any noise for a few days, and only after doing everything I could to make her bark she finally did, fucking mega loud too, but hardly ever does, even when she should.

At night time, if she bursting for the toilet, she STILL wont bark, she will dance round in a circle like a loony to say she wants to go out, but thats no good when your asleep
She even opens the bedroom door and comes to see you, but wont bark to wake you up, just tries subtle little things that rarely work.
A couple of times now the CAT has been meowing for the dog to wake us up, ie the dogs there dancing round like a fool, so the cat realises what she wants, meows for her, so we can let the dog out
She never craps or pisses inside tho, not once in the few years had her, jus seems to hold it in, but would much prefer her to bark to ask if she desperate, but she wont.

Only time she barks is usually once or twice if someone knocks on door, if i get her really excited about something in the garden, if if i refuse to give her one of her toys for ages and ages, and even then she dont seem to do that anymore.

So how you make a dog not afraid to ask to go out for a crap when you asleep?
Old 20-09-2008, 12:25 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

sound's like the previous 'owners' didnt let her bark

need to be around other dogs maybe?
Old 20-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

yeah, im guessing they didnt, god knows who the last owners were, as its been trained stupidly well, but also knows all kinds of odd commands it seems.

seems wary of big dogs (tho it would rip most of thems heads off if it tried i expect ), loves small ones (so much so we was thinking of getting a little dog as well).

only reason i can think anyone would get rid was if it was too friendly for their liking (it was very wary of everyone when first got it, but never unfriendly, and now all it ever wants to do is play, and if you dont it will jus sit there waiting for you to, for ever ) but if they wanted it to be viscous (its built for it, really seems to hate police and police cars, and knows some odd commands that make you think it mightve been) youdve thought theyd encourage it to bark, not other way round.

odd.
Old 20-09-2008, 01:21 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you will find once settled in it will bark at the important things like strangers or noises in the propertly etc, our lab is so quiet, never barks, but if the door opens or heres a odd noise he lits out a loud couple of barks enough to scare most away.

ours is so pretective of my wife and kids etc best thing we ever done, but hes the softest dog in the world
Old 20-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

weve had her for a couple of years mate, it couldnt be more settled in.

its just a very very un-barky dog, good on the whole, but id like to know when its busting for an emergency crap in the middle of the night instead of the poor bugger having to hold it in or the car meowing for the dog
Old 20-09-2008, 01:27 PM
BANNED
BANNED

ah well in that case im int he same boat lol, he wont bark or scratch door to get let out
Old 20-09-2008, 01:27 PM
mark2
PassionFord Regular

i think the dog is just contented the main thing is it barks when someone knocks your door i would count your chickens it aint barking all the time
get a mate who dont come around much to entre your garden if you have one and creep about and see if it barks if so i wouldn't worry
the bit about the cat having to wake you up to let the dog out made me laugh thou
mark2

Trending Topics

Old 20-09-2008, 01:28 PM
Andy_R
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like it may be easier to train the cat to bark instead
Old 20-09-2008, 01:29 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

we always let ours out at night before we all go to bed, then he lasts 6+ hours until someone lets him out in the morning.
shouldnt have to let him out in the middle of the night unless hes got an upset tummy or something, or if the dog is old
Old 20-09-2008, 01:29 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Stavros
Got it from animal shelter, it had been left abandoned tied up to a lamp post, tho no idea why as its THE best trained best behaved dog we have ever had. Seems odd how someone would train it so well (knows more English than I do I think ) then dump it, but anyhow.
not sure about the barking thing but obviously the previous owners punished the dog when it used to bark etc...

on a seperate note, fair play for getting the dog from an animal shelter etc. I have alot of respect for people that do this as its giving the dog a second chance it deserves, to have a nice life. Nice one..!
Old 20-09-2008, 01:31 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy_R
Sounds like it may be easier to train the cat to bark instead
Old 20-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

the cat does a mint job of letting us know normally, but usually the cats out at night, so thats not foolproof

Originally Posted by BM08
we always let ours out at night before we all go to bed, then he lasts 6+ hours until someone lets him out in the morning.
shouldnt have to let him out in the middle of the night unless hes got an upset tummy or something, or if the dog is old
always make sure it goes out for a piss etc before go to bed, but i mean times when it needs an emergency one, dont happen often, but like humans or anyone, happens sometimes.
Old 20-09-2008, 01:45 PM
morcheen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

sounds like the ideal dog to me,i wish all the scum dog owners round here would get them !!
Old 20-09-2008, 01:53 PM
89xr2
Brap!

You could try leaving the dog until it tells you it needs to go out, and then try to excite her so she barks. As soon as she barks give her a treat. Keep doing that a few times and eventually she should learn that if she barks when she needs the toilet she'll get treats. Only problem being if you excite her when she's desperate for the toilet she may well not make it outside..
Old 20-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

I would say you need to teach it to bark on command first. Once you have it barking on command through trial and error i.e. praising should she ever make a noise you reward her.

When she realises barking is a good thing she'll feel comfortable doing it.

You could take some inspiration from this: http://leerburg.com/bark.htm

Unfortunately sounds as if she has already been taught barking is bad so a good thing to do is maybe get another dog which isn't afraid to bark. You can then reward that dog and she may catch on.

Tim
Old 20-09-2008, 02:13 PM
indycos
helooooo!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my mates dog barks whenever he hears the sound of a hoover, and loves chasing and chewing the hoover pipe thing

not sure if that helps
Old 20-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

she hates hoovers, sprays, loads of stuff she runs from like that.

teaching her to bark on command might not be too hard, she seems to know everything else, "kill" and "rodeo" are the two most comedy someone has obv taught her before we had her
Old 20-09-2008, 02:34 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Maybe it was a covert dog or something?
Old 20-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Graham S1
PassionFord Post Troll

Any pics Stav? Sounds like a nice dog.

Praise her when she barks at someone at the door (not treats). And as said above, try and encourage her to bark when she needs to go during the day, and again lots of praise when she does.

+1 On getting a shelter dog. We had one, Sort of lab with spaniel ears. VERY nervous, and used to bark NON STOP for the first few weeks. He soon settled down though.
Old 20-09-2008, 06:41 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I've got a labrador and tbh she never barks either!
Old 20-09-2008, 07:03 PM
TrevCos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by James
I've got a labrador and tbh she never barks either!
Same here. Mine only barks if someone knocks on the door and he's been asleep and that has woken him up. He virtually never barks any other time. The only time he ever really barked is when he went into kennels, where there's a lot of barking, and then came home. He barked a bit for about a week then went back to his normal non-barking self. On the rare occasions he does bark it is very loud and deep.
Old 20-09-2008, 07:12 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

What does it do when you say 'Rodeo'?????
Old 20-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
What does it do when you say 'Rodeo'?????
does the bucking bronco thing, goes properly mental spinning in a circle kicking its back legs in the air etc.

and usualy does as much damage as a horse/bull doing it too
Old 20-09-2008, 07:22 PM
89xr2
Brap!

does the bucking bronco thing, goes properly mental spinning in a circle kicking its back legs in the air etc.

I bet that never gets old, especially when your mates are round and you've all had a few beers. Do you take bets on how many beer bottles she'll knock over? That would be fun
Old 20-09-2008, 07:37 PM
SillyFezzaMk1
Rubber Rhino Crew

VID or STFU! that would be a youtube sensation if you video that.......quality.

What others does it know???

Cheers
Dan
Old 20-09-2008, 07:37 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

You should buy a small monkey, strap it to her back and charge money to watch the 'Amazing Marmoset Rodeo'...

I'd pay at least £5 to watch that!!!
Old 21-09-2008, 03:41 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

the rodeo thing, once i saw it do it on its own, then spent ages saying random words trying to find out how to tell it to, till i found rodeo!

id fucking love a tame monkey, itd be the best thing ever.

the way it behaves to any cuddly toy when you say "kill" command makes me a lil bit worried about any other animal mind. i reckon itd kill a jack russel sized dog in seconds if u told it to, tho it the friendliest thing ever really.
Old 21-09-2008, 09:05 AM
RC4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

if it has pit in the breed they rarley bark anyhow
Old 21-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you tried saying "speak" or "talk" to it?

Might already be trained to do that anyway by the sounds of it, just a case of finding what the command is to make it bark.

Then everytime you let it out, you tell it to speak first, then open the door, in time it will learn.
Old 21-09-2008, 10:20 AM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

emergency crap

Rodeo? pmsl not gonna ask Steve!

Maybe she's been trained not to bark for whatever reason?
Old 21-09-2008, 10:35 AM
OldDan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Show us a picture Stav!
Old 21-09-2008, 10:38 AM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Maybe the dog just don't like ya

Luciano
Old 21-09-2008, 11:41 AM
biggiejody
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

we got a black lab and coz it was protictive of its food we got someone in to train him.

anyway if u find something the dog likes (treats) and give one to it, and put another one in ur hand after its et it, and just wait untill it jumps around in exictment for it, then give the dog it and say bark (like ur sayin good boy but bark not good boy). then go over it again, and again about 5 6 times. then put a treat in ur hand and show it to the dog, the dog should sit, lay jump around everything it can think of to get it. but hold out till it barks, and then when it does, say bark in the silly voice like before and continue as before.

dogs are very smart and if u keep at it they should pick it up rather quick, m,y dog picked lay, sit, down, leave, bark etc in about 5 hours and still does it now lol
Old 21-09-2008, 02:25 PM
jammy86
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Have you tired barking at it yourself?

JAmes.
Old 21-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Nash_mr2
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

just be glad your dog doesnt bark like this....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GICSPdLK_5E