General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Small scale plastic mouldings!

Search this Thread

Old 16-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Small scale plastic mouldings!

Im trying to have some badges remade. They have a clear injection moulded plastic layer on top of the vynal substrate lettering. The gel type badges are no-where near thick enough.

Im looking to get the plastic bits made but not sure how to go about it. the plastic bits only 3cm by 2cm and 5mm thick but its essential to the originality of the badge im making. The substrate vynal lettering i can get done easily and relatively cheaply but the plastic moulding i have no clue about.

From what i understand for most plastic injection moulding is expensive to set up the metal mould (in £000's ??) but the finished product can be made cheaply once the set up costs are done.

Now i dont want to spend thousands. (i dont have it!! ) I know you can make resin moulds quite easy but can resin be made in clear and poured bubble free???

Alternatively is there any DIY way of doing low volume plastics moulding at home likely to produce good results??? I dont mind it taking lots of time.

Plus does anyone in the "know" have approx prices to set up such a small mould and produce 1000 units???
Old 16-09-2008, 09:38 PM
Adrian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its only 1000 not many companies would be interested.

Mould itself wouldnt be single impression, it would probably be 8 to 16 impression.

Its been a while since I have been in a plant, but worked for a plastics packaging company for 11 years so bit rusty on pricing lol

We used to make bottles and caps (Ambre Solaire, Matey, Soltan, brylcreem etc) but for 1000 caps for a ambre solaire bottle would be around £30/1000.

Tooling costs were in the region of £30k for a 16 impression tool.

no idea on home production.
Old 16-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Bladerider
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well,

I have contacted a local vacuum moulding company near me about a similar low volume custom thing and its more likely to be a hundred or so pounds to make a mould from a buck we give them, although in fairness this is to form something slightly larger and out of thinner material than you are talking about. But it may be worth a flick through your Yellow Pages and having a few chats with people, the worst they can say is No !!

J.
Old 17-09-2008, 12:29 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Ahh ok so proper injection moulding looks out of reach price wise!!

Shall try a vac form place then!!