General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Stretched Tyres

Search this Thread

Old 14-09-2008, 08:16 PM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by big_wig_074
tyre stretch looks mint,that audi a4 looks ace on those rims!
anyone ever seen a tyre come off a rim because it was stretched on?
Seen this on another site....

http://www.nemm.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5715
Old 14-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wirralphil
thats a site we use

And i replied in that as well

Sarah
Old 14-09-2008, 08:24 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

so where does it state categorically that the stretch was why it happened?ive had non stretched tyres do that.soooooo little info there its unbeleivable.if he had a slight leak in the tyre and the pressure dropped low enough then the tyre would come off the rim,regardless of how stretched it is,thats just an assumption of blame on the tyres there.
Old 14-09-2008, 08:27 PM
project_sport
Regular Contributor

sadly i drove on a flat tyre and it was very flat started wearing the side wall away and it didnt come off the bead and if it was ever gonna gone off then would of been the time

ive seen worse then that caused by normal tyres blowing out
Old 14-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by big_wig_074
so where does it state categorically that the stretch was why it happened?ive had non stretched tyres do that.soooooo little info there its unbeleivable.if he had a slight leak in the tyre and the pressure dropped low enough then the tyre would come off the rim,regardless of how stretched it is,thats just an assumption of blame on the tyres there.

he hit a pothole, which in turn knocked the tyre off the rim
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Shorty
This Bora?

Stance on that is MENTAL. The back wheels are 11" wide. Thats had arch work aswell. Lol.
yeah thats the one, some real nice pics in the mag tho.

absolutly love this euro look, makes me wanna cream myself.

gonna start on one of these projects for the daily driver.... kool as fuck
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

we getting a bora in the next few days, i see some nice wheels and lowering going on, no stretching though
Old 14-09-2008, 08:31 PM
project_sport
Regular Contributor

so you hit a bad enough pot hole with a steel wheel and the rim bends and the tyre comes off hows that any different
Old 14-09-2008, 08:32 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Dicko&Sarah
you forgot to write

"sarah" lol

why do people do that?
Old 14-09-2008, 08:33 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by project_sport
so you hit a bad enough pot hole with a steel wheel and the rim bends and the tyre comes off hows that any different
happened to me in the corsa
Old 14-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Shorty
PassionFord Post Whore!!

What Bora you getting Dicko and Sarah? I just got a 130 Highline, absolutely over the moon with it, just mapped it to 160+bhp, pulls like a train.
Old 14-09-2008, 08:46 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

why wink?he hit a pothole,the tyre came off its rim,can happen to ANY tyre,seen it a few times on non stretched tyres
Old 14-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

What Bora you getting Dicko and Sarah? I just got a 130 Highline, absolutely over the moon with it, just mapped it to 160+bhp, pulls like a train.
just a 1.9 Tdi in Jazz Blue Dont know what power it is though, forgot to ask, but only a runabout so no massive problem regardless
Old 14-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by cheeky dog
you forgot to write

"sarah" lol

why do people do that?
you answered that one yourself

SARAH
Old 14-09-2008, 09:10 PM
THE RADMAN
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i think they look crap , this is what you call stretched
must be like driving on solid tyres theres no sidewall give at all,doesnt look like it does a lot for tyre wear either lol
Old 14-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by THE RADMAN
i think they look crap , this is what you call stretched
must be like driving on solid tyres theres no sidewall give at all,doesnt look like it does a lot for tyre wear either lol
nice and even that, whats wrong with you

bit like Cossies with mega rear camber issues isnt it

Sarah
Old 14-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Looks utterly dogshite imo
Old 14-09-2008, 09:20 PM
project_sport
Regular Contributor

that tyre has nothing to do with the tyre being stretched that is camber , ive seen a bmw at work which had worse tyre wear then that so it was down to the canvas and that didnt have stretched tyres

my tires sit evenly flat and as i keep saying ive NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH MY STRETCHED TYRES !!!!!!!!
Old 14-09-2008, 09:26 PM
THE RADMAN
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

thats the outside thats worn though
Old 14-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by THE RADMAN
thats the outside thats worn though
obviously had positive camber then

It did state on the websites i was looking at earlier that it would affect the wear of the tyres with them being stretched, and uneven tyre wear whilst using stretched tyres was one of the dangers.

Each to their own i guess, cos none of us are gonna agree, you either think theyre cool as fuck or blatantly dangerous.

Im the latter

Sarah
Old 14-09-2008, 11:37 PM
FIESTA CHRIS H
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This Bora?

Stance on that is MENTAL. The back wheels are 11" wide. Thats had arch work aswell. Lol.
that must rub so much
Old 14-09-2008, 11:46 PM
FIESTA CHRIS H

the picture of that audi quattro group b is quality
Old 15-09-2008, 12:41 AM
Bladerider
Part of the Furniture

Well,

I reckon I have probably used and abused stretched tyres more than almost anyone on this site, so feel pretty well versed in giving an ACCURATE response rather than heresay and supposition.

Personally I quite like tyres that are stretched a bit looks wise as it usually is the last part of the process required to run the biggest badest set of mega dished rims possible on something crazy low and hence finishes off the whole car nicely. That being said i think the look can go too far and certainly some of the pictures posted up here are verging on stretch that I dont like as for me once you get to the point where the bead edge of the rim has a gap before you get to the tyre then thats starting to be too much.

The reason people stretch them on is primarily because they want wider wheels than their wheelarches can accomodate and they need the angle of the sidewall and often fairly large amounts of camber to make the whole thing not rub to death. It has very little to do with any kind of performance other than for drift use and even then its more for low speed and showy stuff rather than full on competition use where max performance is required.

Because the tyrewall is stretched on both sides it stops them flexing. Normally if you imagine the tread surface flat on the ground, and the tyre sidewalls coming up 90* to this to the wheel then you have like a compressed U shape with the bottom of the U gripping the road and the edges at the top of each side of the U attached to the wheel rim. When you corner the wheel stays pretty much upright, and the idea is that the contact patch stays pretty much flat, with the edges of the U allowing some flex in the system which helps generate some grip by allowing the tyre to not come away from the ground or slip too easily, the sideways forces make the sidewalls twist and deform first you see. When you get down to mega racing cars such as Touring cars etc then they have certain other aspects to think about - they are usually on very flat smooth tracks, they have very stiff suspension that needs to operate in a fairly small window of travel and so on, and hence they cant deal with too much sidewall flex as part of the set up. Formula 1 cars would also have gone this route by now except that theres legislation preventing it and the forces they transmit through downforce and so on can have other issues that can affect the tyres as well.

So basically sidewall flex is something that you need to a certain degree if you want maximum performance and grip from your tyre treads. However there is one bad side-effect of all this. When the tyre exceeds its maximum grip level it tends to slide, and at this point the level of grip suddenly reduces, with this reduction so does the amount of lateral force keeping the sidewall flexed and they literally twang out to shape again, and in doing so reduce the grip level even further in a very rapid way. This is somewhat unpredictable and unhelpful when drifting which obviously requires you to slide the car in as smooth a way possible, and hence drifters sometimes use the fact that stretched tyres are incapable of moving their tread around so much as the sidewalls literally are fixed in place by virtue of having to stretch just to reach the bead. This gives a much more stable and progressive breakaway and often helps lower speed and learner drivers to progress in the sport. However once up to high speed level you are back to needing as much grip as possible to control the drift and therefore end up going full circle and fitting normal width rubber again although perhaps a compromise is sometimes the best option between idealwidth and stretch.

I would also like to just point out that people often forget a couple of vital things when talking about stretch. The sidewall height ratio will determine the amount of stretch possible, so a 195/50/15 will probably fit fine on an 9j rim without the need for a bead blaster, whereas a 195/40/15 might be almost impossible to fit on anything wider than an 8.5j. And whilst stretched rubber isnt dangerous per se it also depends on what kinds of alloys you are using, I had a tyre peel off one of my rears when the car was VERY heavily loaded but this is probably as much to do with the fact my split rims - like alot of splitties - dont have beads and are hence easier to peel, that being said theres no proof that a wider tyre wouldnt have done the same thing. If you think about it for a moment a stretched tyre needs you to force the opposite sidewall to "crunch up" in order to slide the loaded sidewall off the bead, whereas a normally fitted wheel already has enough flex for BOTH sidewalls to move far enough to allow the outer edge to slide under extreme cornering.

The only thing I think that is a little bit more dangerous is using them at VERY high speed and the edges of their speed rating, purely because the stretch effectively is putting them under cornering type loads at straight ahead type driving and hence they will heat up alot more. I certainly wouldnt do 10minutes at 170mph+ on a set which I wouldnt think twice about on normal tyres.

Oh yeah - and the uneven tyre wear in one of the pics is actually VERY EVEN tyre wear on a car thats tjust had its tyres switched over side for side to allow for the inevitably large amounts of NEGATIVE camber the car would have been running to accomodate that low an offset rim.

I hope this helps,

J.
Old 15-09-2008, 09:01 AM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

you answered that one yourself

SARAH
i didnt mean why you forgot to do it, i asked why do people put their names at the bottom of each post....
Old 15-09-2008, 09:08 AM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

Stavros i was using it as an example and i thought after i posted it, that was wrong

The info i have provided above makes me pretty sure how unsafe they are though.

its not a case of how it drives and handles, its the safety aspect. MEGA stretching imo is stupidity.

Sarah
Originally Posted by Stavros
did anything i out make it look like i was replying to you? or anyone in particular? nope.

i know your a bird, but dont be so sensitive
you got many MALE friends called sarah

Old 15-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by FIESTA CHRIS H
that must rub so much
its on airbags

Originally Posted by Spiky
you got many MALE friends called sarah

eh?
Old 16-09-2008, 04:15 PM
olic1

I wasn't expecting all these replies!

After a recommendation, I've found somewhere local I trust to do it!

Sorted...they're being done Saturday
Old 16-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by cheeky dog
i didnt mean why you forgot to do it, i asked why do people put their names at the bottom of each post....
ahh right, cos we share a username, so if i dont put Sarah people get confused

Sarah
Old 16-09-2008, 04:19 PM
JamesM
Virgin

I had 195/45/16 on some Cossie wheels (16x8) and although there was a slight stretch I never had an issue in the year I had them.

The garage that fitted the tyres said they are just as safe as any other tyre on a wheel as long as the pressures are kept topped up. If you have a puncture and then try to drive on a flat its going to come off easier but you would have to be daft to drive on a flat anyway.
Old 16-09-2008, 04:43 PM
rinus_2005

the look of stretched tyres. where are the days tyres needed to be bigger and fatter
if playing around with tyres; personally i would try to put on some 245 over a 8J rim instead of 195
Old 16-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

it's cool though, because people putting them on VWs are only really concerned with 'show' and hence don't/can't go fast. Fuck it, it they want to run around on skinny gay tyres then let them. When was the last time you say one of these Euro styled VWs going fast?

Old 16-09-2008, 04:55 PM
cozmeister
More boost Igor!

Personally, I think they look naff, and because they don't fit properly, they don't look safe.

For anyone that's bouncing along saying "I've never had a problem with my stretched tyres, and it's therefore safe", 1) you are not experts, and, 2) my tyres are not stretched - they fit like a glove - and I've never had a problem with them. Am I now an expert, and are mine somehow more dangerous?

And, if you don't want the attention of the police for potentially risky tyres, stop being tight by buying tyres that are too small, and buy ones that actually fit!!

Personally I think you're just lucky that you've not come to grief already. Your uppance will come.

And this looks like the smoothing crew have gone one further than just rubbing the specs and manufacturer off the sidewall:

Old 16-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Bladerider
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by cozmeister
...blah...blah...blah...blah...

2) my tyres are not stretched............Am I now an expert?

.........blah....blah...blah...blah........
No you're not by your own admission,

Therefore the rest of what you posted is bollox !!

J.
Old 16-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by Bladerider
No you're not by your own admission,

Therefore the rest of what you posted is bollox !!

J.
Very true, but that would sum up 90% of posts on this forum lately tho...
Old 16-09-2008, 06:39 PM
project_sport
Regular Contributor

olly get those puppies on so you join the crew , youve already stolen all my cars other looks so hurry up

get em on there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ingore the non belivers 45's are good but 40's are where its at
stick with the 45's
Old 16-09-2008, 06:51 PM
jaimesdna
Advanced PassionFord User

looks pretty cool imo. breathing is pretty dangerous with all the cancer causing crap in the air but i dont think i'll stop doing that
Old 16-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

I love the look, and have a few mates into there VW's, so seen it a few times. Plus get mini's on 10x7's or what ever with stretched rims and they never have a problem, even on track. If it was that dangerous, why are they let on track?

As for the guy in the golf, hitting a pot hole and tyre popping, what speed was he doing? Could happen to anyone, not just a stretched rim!

Originally Posted by Rab
it's cool though, because people putting them on VWs are only really concerned with 'show' and hence don't/can't go fast. Fuck it, it they want to run around on skinny gay tyres then let them. When was the last time you say one of these Euro styled VWs going fast?

So why moan about it, if you think it looks shit, then they probably think MR2's and Toyota's looks shit to, Each to their own!

Originally Posted by Stavros
Very true, but that would sum up 90% of posts on this forum lately tho...

Tell me about it.
Old 16-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by Rab
When was the last time you say one of these Euro styled VWs going fast?

Couple of weeks ago at brunters.

9 VW/Audis did over 160mph, 5 did over 170 (inc a Mk1 Golf, Mk2 Golf, and Corrado, 175, 180, and 181), FWD euro styled things doing low 5s to 60 etc with their fancy paint and leather trimmed dashboards...

Old 16-09-2008, 07:21 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by project_sport
olly get those puppies on so you join the crew , youve already stolen all my cars other looks so hurry up

get em on there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ingore the non belivers 45's are good but 40's are where its at
stick with the 45's
Stretched tyres is at best iffy and at worst down right dangerous and irresponsible. That's not just my opinion though it's also that of my father who incidentally has in excess of 30 years experience in the field of..... tyre research.

Don't be a cock, fit the right tyres for the rim as by time you think you made the wrong choice it may very well be the last thought you ever have.
Old 16-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

My dads had 40 years and he said your dads a lying cunt

Quick Reply: Stretched Tyres