General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Speed camera question, odd one...

Search this Thread

Old 14-09-2008, 03:24 AM
Neil Clark
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speed camera question, odd one...

Just got flashed, satnav said i was doing 36 in a 30 but it was 3am!.

Anyway, bit of an odd one... The camera was on my side on the road but facing me as if to get vehicles over road going other way (the camera was slightly turned to face over road). The camera flashed me (in face, front of vehicle) but i've just looked up on net and it says they shouldnt flash you unless its the rear of vehicle for obvious reasons!

Any ideas?

Cheers!
Old 14-09-2008, 03:53 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

yeah expect an nip soon.
Old 14-09-2008, 04:05 AM
Ginge
www.virtualseason.net

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be a Truvelo one or what ever they are called..

Ginge
Old 14-09-2008, 04:07 AM
Neil Clark

Not sure which one it was BUT i didnt think it should flash you in the face?!? Scared the shit out of me!
Old 14-09-2008, 04:12 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Neil Clark
Scared the shit out of me!
If you wasnt speeding it wouldnt of done
Old 14-09-2008, 06:10 AM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Just got flashed, satnav said i was doing 36 in a 30 but it was 3am!.
So does it make a difference what time it is

Steve.
Old 14-09-2008, 07:44 AM
The Loumiester
ford whore

Im pretty sure they get you from from front aswell because I remember an article in the sun newspaper a while back and it involved a copper attending a call and when he went through a speed camera head on it took a picture of the front of his car showing him with both his thumbs up, because of this he got done for not holding on to the wheel. It showed the picture aswell. Basically it caught him head on & also if the camera flashed & u was alone on the road then I suggest u hope the next 2week pass quickly

Trending Topics

Old 14-09-2008, 07:55 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

If it flashed, then you're ok. Gatsos can and do flash you if you're heading towards them, but they're not approved to 'catch' you head on. Truvelo cameras can get you from the front but they're infra red, so don't flash.

Cossie4i - Of course it makes a difference. Have you never driven at 3am? Speeding when there are loads of cars and people about is blatantly more dangerous than when the roads are deserted. Do you really believe that 36mph at 3am is as dangerous as the same speed at 8.30am???
Old 14-09-2008, 07:57 AM
Neil S
PassionFord Post Troll

It's not a Truvelo as their flash is Infra-Red.

I know a guy who used to install Gatsos (i.e. a very good source) and he said that if they flash oncoming vehicles then they are loaded with a dummy camera. He says that in a live camera the radar is directional i.e. ignores oncoming traffic.

I really wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure you won't get a NIP.

Neil.
Old 14-09-2008, 08:04 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by Neil S
I know a guy who used to install Gatsos (i.e. a very good source) and he said that if they flash oncoming vehicles then they are loaded with a dummy camera. He says that in a live camera the radar is directional i.e. ignores oncoming traffic.
Radar cannot be directional - It sends out a signal, that signal bounces back, and that's how it works out the speed. They just aren't set up to accurately register the speed head on.

Fully functioning cameras can and do flash if you go towards them head on, but you won't get 'done'.
Old 14-09-2008, 08:07 AM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

satnav said i was doing 36
poxy satnav what a waste of time and bloody dangerous. (id say even more dangerous than mobiles)

surley your speedo reads the speed.
Old 14-09-2008, 08:09 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by Lee Ivatt
surley your speedo reads the speed.
Yes, but not as accurately as a shat nav!
Old 14-09-2008, 08:11 AM
The Loumiester
ford whore

dont say that, we will all be speeding head on through speed cameras lol.

Is a Gatso the big box one with the distance markings on the ground?
Old 14-09-2008, 08:23 AM
rssteve

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
Radar cannot be directional - It sends out a signal, that signal bounces back, and that's how it works out the speed. They just aren't set up to accurately register the speed head on.

Fully functioning cameras can and do flash if you go towards them head on, but you won't get 'done'.
yes it can, it needs to send out 2 signals., between a set time, it then measures the speed by the distance change in the set time. one bounce would only give a measurement of distance and not speed.
Old 14-09-2008, 08:23 AM
rssteve

Originally Posted by The Loumiester

some look similar but genrally there yellow, the infrared ones around here seem to be painted blue, or they were atleast.
Old 14-09-2008, 08:24 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by The Loumiester

Yes, but not all of them have road markings. If I got 'done' by one without them I'd take it to court and ask how they verified the speed. It seems that the Scamera Partnerships have got lazy and don't always bother to put the calibrations on the road.

99.9% of the population just cough up when caught, even though many people are incorrectly charged with speeding. They work using radar, and it's notoriously inaccurate, as the signal can bounce of stuff like passing lorries, bus stops, armco etc... It's all bullshit, but all the while the public just accept it they'll keep putting cameras up.
Old 14-09-2008, 08:26 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Some useful info here
http://www.ukspeedcameras.co.uk/guide.htm
Old 14-09-2008, 09:16 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cossie4i - Of course it makes a difference. Have you never driven at 3am? Speeding when there are loads of cars and people about is blatantly more dangerous than when the roads are deserted. Do you really believe that 36mph at 3am is as dangerous as the same speed at 8.30am???
No it doesnt make a difference at all

Doing 36 mph at 3 am is still the same as doin 36 at 8.30 am or 1.00 pm or 6.30 pm.

It's still speeding and chance's are it was local to him.
They put it on a website where they are and people still whine like fuck when they get done.
And his sat nav should of picked it up anyway.
Old 14-09-2008, 09:21 AM
Neil Clark

Thanks for all the info!!

For those of you that think slightly speeding at 3am is the worst thing ever, dont you go over speed limit EVER? even in your expensive fast cars? if not well done!
Old 14-09-2008, 09:31 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

dont you go over speed limit EVER?

Yeah usually balls out all the time. But not past A FUCKING SPEED CAMERA
Old 14-09-2008, 09:48 AM
RS 5tu

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Chances are you will get put on a speed awareness course.
Old 14-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

mate dont listen to all these tossers trying to scare you, if it was facing you and it flashed you aint gonna get done, its that simple as they will only get one pic of your car and the other you will be past it as its ment to flash twice but will have the same point set to go off

been flashed loads of times with cameras going towards them and fuck all happens

speed awareness course is when you are about to loose your licence and never offered as a first offence for doing 36 in a 30 at 3am ffs

some people on here sometimes
Old 14-09-2008, 10:02 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by mrjenrst
No it doesnt make a difference at all

Doing 36 mph at 3 am is still the same as doin 36 at 8.30 am or 1.00 pm or 6.30 pm.
I was clearly referring to the 'danger' aspect, not the 'illegality'. Obviously the camera can't detect what time it is, and nor can it detect when 30mph is dangerous, and when it's not.
Old 14-09-2008, 10:12 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by rssteve
yes it can, it needs to send out 2 signals., between a set time, it then measures the speed by the distance change in the set time. one bounce would only give a measurement of distance and not speed.
I said it's not directional, which it isn't. By saying 'signal' I implied that it 'fires' out the radar continuously (not twice), and interprets the returned signal/s.

You seem to be confusing 2 signals with the fact that it requires 2 photos to be taken. The photos are needed as the radar alone is too unreliable to be admissable in court. Unfortunately everyone seems to have forgotten this, and just goes off the radar data, not the photographic proof.
Old 14-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

If it flashed, then you're ok. Gatsos can and do flash you if you're heading towards them, but they're not approved to 'catch' you head on. Truvelo cameras can get you from the front but they're infra red, so don't flash.
sorry dan, but truvelo's DO flash!!!

seen a few go off now!

if it was a truvelo that flashed you, your bang to rights, if it was a gatso on the opposite side of the road, your ok.

but it sounds like your not lol
Old 14-09-2008, 02:14 PM
mercury grey minter
PassionFord Post Troll

Time to order some cloned plates me thinks.LOL

As for foward facing cameras how are they going to catch bikers(the worst speeders of all)?
Old 14-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Been through loads of gatso facing me and set em off never been done.

Got done by a trevello one which faces you flashed red- anyone who says though dont CLEARLY has never been done by one.

Also been on a speed awareness workshop- they only offer it you ( in Warwickshire ) if you are on the point of prosecution and they only offer it for speeders in 30 and 40mph zones- its like a let off and they know it which is why they only offer it if you haven't gone too far over the limit.

They also dont offer it if the 3 points you should of got would make it 12 on your licence the same way you cant have a fixed penalty if you have 8 or more points.

Although I'm not expert I have managed to get about 25 points on my licence in the last 8 years and have been done by speed gun, pulled over, been to court, Gatso'd and Truvello'd.
Old 14-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Neil Clark

Originally Posted by Ginge !
mate dont listen to all these tossers trying to scare you, if it was facing you and it flashed you aint gonna get done, its that simple as they will only get one pic of your car and the other you will be past it as its ment to flash twice but will have the same point set to go off

been flashed loads of times with cameras going towards them and fuck all happens

speed awareness course is when you are about to loose your licence and never offered as a first offence for doing 36 in a 30 at 3am ffs

some people on here sometimes
Cant believe on a car forum some of the comments either mate, lucky all the people on here drive around at 30 i feel soooo much safer!

BTW, i'v never had ANY points in 20 years of driving, and i do 45k a year, can all you so called safe drivers say the same? i'll wait the 2 weeks out. Just seemed odd to me about the flash while i was facing it....
Old 14-09-2008, 06:55 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by Fudgey
sorry dan, but truvelo's DO flash!!!

seen a few go off now!
:
Not with a 'white' flash they don't It's an infra-red one. You're probably getting confused with PEEK cameras, which look like Truvelos (round windows) but flash like Gatsos...
Old 14-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

no mate, in southampton they got loads of truvelos, this one had a blueish flash to it, not me either, some dopey twat in an accord lol
Old 14-09-2008, 08:15 PM
dannyb
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by Fudgey
no mate, in southampton they got loads of truvelos, this one had a blueish flash to it, not me either, some dopey twat in an accord lol
Yep seen these go off late at night they would not blind you anywhere near as much as a Gatso flash. As for Sat Navs used one for 5 year there as good as a person who's using it its just a electronic map not a magic box you have to do as it says Plus Speed is way more accurate
Old 14-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Neil S
PassionFord Post Troll

I think you're wrong Dan

The units CAN differentiate between oncoming and receding traffic. This is an option in the configuration.

You are correct in that oncoming cars can trigger the live units, but only if the unit is set to do this. In reality this is unlikely as half of the pictures would then be wasted on unenforceable cases.

If a dummy unit is fitted then I reckon they'd leave it set to bi-directional to scare more motorists...

I said it's not directional, which it isn't. By saying 'signal' I implied that it 'fires' out the radar continuously (not twice), and interprets the returned signal/s.

You seem to be confusing 2 signals with the fact that it requires 2 photos to be taken. The photos are needed as the radar alone is too unreliable to be admissable in court. Unfortunately everyone seems to have forgotten this, and just goes off the radar data, not the photographic proof.
The radar forms the initial assessment of speed, the photographs confirm this. The radar actually bounces back from the target a LOT more than twice (several hundred measurements are taken per vehicle), and all readings must be within a certain tolerance, otherwise the unit bins the operation.

Neil.

Last edited by Neil S; 14-09-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old 14-09-2008, 09:23 PM
WHITE VAN VANDAL
chavmaster

there is one on chiswick bridge (gatso) going out of london gets me every time no come back. what about bikers goin through average speed check on motorway bastards get away with it!

dont worry at all. as long as was a gatso original money box.
Old 15-09-2008, 09:47 AM
truthordare
Omnomnomnom

Originally Posted by mercury grey minter
Time to order some cloned plates me thinks.LOL

As for foward facing cameras how are they going to catch bikers(the worst speeders of all)?
Off topic slightly but why are bikers the worst speeders of all???? Talk about your sweeping generalization Just because bikes accelerate faster than cars it doesn't mean that riders constantly have the throttle back to the stop. I'm a biker and I have a clean license, not because I just don't get caught but because I'm not one of the worst speeders of all!! True there are idiots out there on bikes but there are far more in cars that try and goad bikes into racing them.

Debs
Old 15-09-2008, 10:38 AM
Ed1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

neil, where was this, i got flashed when i was going head on to a camera, it was in Essex a few months ago heading out of Basildon towards Chemlsford on a little windy road in a 30, i never got anything for it, My mate also told me he had been through it and got flashed, its a problem with the camera!
Old 15-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Spot on!
Old 15-09-2008, 11:09 AM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Danw and Maria are right, if its a gatso then your fine. Ive been flashed several times late at night in the same situation.

Truvelo are digital so you would not have been flashed and its more likely it would be on your side of the road.
Old 15-09-2008, 03:27 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by Neil S
and all readings must be within a certain tolerance, otherwise the unit bins the operation.
Or they just bill you anyway, and we just pay up without questionning it.
Old 15-09-2008, 04:11 PM
RS LOZWORTH
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

gatso cameras can be triggerd when you drive towards them but they do not mesure your speed they just error and set the camera off as they are only calibrated to calculate mph as you drive away from the camera, but it could have been another make camera and i dont know much about them but if it was a gatso you will be ok, hope this helps
Old 15-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Neil S
PassionFord Post Troll

Or they just bill you anyway, and we just pay up without questionning it.
Yeah - there's another reason to ask to see the evidence

Mind you, no speed would be shown in that case - it should show "ILLEGAL" or similar if the radar measurement is on the piss. I was told that all samples must be within a certain range of the mean.

Burn em all I say. I spent about 10 years deliberately setting every oncoming camera I saw off before I learnt that they're directional.

Quick Reply: Speed camera question, odd one...