General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

A lad from my work has just been sacked

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 08:21 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pa_sjo
What I find disgusting is mechanics are expected to provide their own tools when they have a full-time job at a dealer/garage!!
not at the new flagship honda dealership in romford
Old 11-09-2008, 08:25 PM
blacky.
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich_w
Not always, Ive seen the best guys "leave" due to not tolerating bullshit and not being afraid of fucktard bosses.
strange you say that as i was draged in the office on monday cos i try not to work saturdays & told he dosent want me to but if i work saturdays to look for another job
only the day before i had been to a small garage round the corner from where in at now.to look over a car for the mother inlaw & ended up getting a job offer lol
Old 11-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich_w
Not always, Ive seen the best guys "leave" due to not tolerating bullshit and not being afraid of fucktard bosses.
as I said if you are good at your job you don't get sacked,your mates left.
Back on topic now.
You can get sacked on the spot with no warnings for gross misconduct
Old 12-09-2008, 03:30 AM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it the same ' boss ' you were telling me about glenn that thought an oil change would cure a knackered turbo or something to that effect ?
Old 12-09-2008, 06:36 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

No fithat was the forman who has worked there for 14 years,he said that.We had a fiat stilo in a few months back, it came in for a misfire.I used to work on fiat for about 6 years, i knew what it was straight away,the forman was fooking on for ages and then for some reason he said it might be the blue tooth kit causing the missfire.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:09 AM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Fix It Again Tony
Old 12-09-2008, 08:36 AM
SiZT
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by glennshute
he said it might be the blue tooth kit causing the missfire.

Oops, its starting to miss, my wife must be calling
Old 12-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

ive never heard anything so stupid in my life about the blue tooth kit. What a tit and this bloke has been in the trade 14 years and at the same garage all that time.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by pa_sjo
What I find disgusting is mechanics are expected to provide their own tools when they have a full-time job at a dealer/garage!! I don't know any other trade that expects that!

As a subbie/self-employed person I can understand it, but not employed!!
I asked my brother why he had to provide his own tools, he is a Panel Beater and he told me it wouldn't work if they provided them. People would loose them etc. He told me in his Snap On tool box he has over 7k of tools. Anyone know if he is lying?

Benni.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:23 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

I'm an electrician....and my firm supplies f**k all the miserable c**ts.

Although to be fair on mechanics ( I use that term loosely.... )

The tools that are required are way above what most normal jobs might require. Re-the above post.
I know that it would take a damn sight more than Ł7k to replace all my garage tools !!!!! and its only a hobby for me !!
By comparison, my work tools could be replaced for a fraction of the price.

Last edited by stevieturbo; 12-09-2008 at 01:23 PM. Reason: wow, no swear filter here lol
Old 12-09-2008, 01:25 PM
blahblahcarsblah
Advanced PassionFord User

LOL @ Paul
Old 12-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No fithat was the forman who has worked there for 14 years,he said that.We had a fiat stilo in a few months back, it came in for a misfire.I used to work on fiat for about 6 years, i knew what it was straight away,the forman was fooking on for ages and then for some reason he said it might be the blue tooth kit causing the missfire.

So an oil change will cure a knackered turbo, and bluetooth causes missfires, how he has lasted 14 years in the trade is beyond me
Old 12-09-2008, 03:11 PM
R7BKR
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Originally Posted by blacky.
its a dead trade

we get shit on at every turn & one of the previose posts said its only basic tools i fail to see how having 8 or 9k sat uninsured in a workshop is basic tools to do a job

on the other side of things dealerships arent the best imployers they have to charge a higher hourly work rate to cover all the un productive staff
you get better treat in a back street garage where your hard graft will be apriciated

I would always go to an independant garage now. I got stung by my main dealer for Ł70 for an hours labour.

My local independant garage charges Ł20.

No offence to all the good mechanics out there, but these big franchised dealerships seem to treat all there staff like cr4p.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Who do you work for, just so I can avoid the place should my motor go tits up in your area
Old 12-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
I'm an electrician....and my firm supplies f**k all the miserable c**ts.

Although to be fair on mechanics ( I use that term loosely.... )

The tools that are required are way above what most normal jobs might require. Re-the above post.
I know that it would take a damn sight more than Ł7k to replace all my garage tools !!!!! and its only a hobby for me !!
By comparison, my work tools could be replaced for a fraction of the price.
What do you have?
Old 12-09-2008, 04:21 PM
craigos
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

law to have a contract after 6 weeks im sure,think they can sack you on the spot if your a danger
Old 12-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Not sure on the contracts,
My old employer preferred verbal contracts, that was with his customers too,
My contract was fairly simple,
"Dont take the piss, dont damage the wagon and you'll get paid a week in hand"
Contracts just complicate things IMO.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big G
Contracts just complicate things IMO.
no its reasurance so you know what your allowed, imagine your boss told you that you have to work more hours than your ment to,,,, imagine he said you dont get sick pay YET you do JUST to keep hes costs down ect ect ect

contracts are needed in life, when you start you agree to the terms and conditions,,, employers should too ,,,, though most dont ill admit
Old 12-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Ginge !
no its reasurance so you know what your allowed, imagine your boss told you that you have to work more hours than your ment to,,,, imagine he said you dont get sick pay YET you do JUST to keep hes costs down ect ect ect

contracts are needed in life, when you start you agree to the terms and conditions,,, employers should too ,,,, though most dont ill admit
I am on hourly rate, I prefer hourly rate, I will do a 24 shift if the gaffer will pay it,
The last place I worked, and was on a verbal contract (I work he pays) never paid sick pay, I had no issue with it,
IMO and experiance, when an employer pays sick pay it is open to the abuse of the staff puling a sly un every now and then because they want a day off.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big G
I am on hourly rate, I prefer hourly rate, I will do a 24 shift if the gaffer will pay it,
The last place I worked, and was on a verbal contract (I work he pays) never paid sick pay, I had no issue with it,
IMO and experiance, when an employer pays sick pay it is open to the abuse of the staff puling a sly un every now and then because they want a day off.
yeah but imagine you REALLY got sick, say you needing your apendix removed or some other sort of operation,,,, you come out of hospital and you dont have a home to come back too

IMO if you earn your a good enough employee who he can rely on to MAKE HIM MONEY,,,, then you should be able to with him also

shite staff ruin it for everyone else,, but its NOT a bad thing at all !!

infact most employers are the ones who dont look after there staff, paying them the least they can then when they get another job offer the same to keep them,,,,, why not pay people what there worth ???

im ok though as i dont get sick pay at my place,,,, and dont need it either
Old 12-09-2008, 11:51 PM
blacky.
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Benni
I asked my brother why he had to provide his own tools, he is a Panel Beater and he told me it wouldn't work if they provided them. People would loose them etc. He told me in his Snap On tool box he has over 7k of tools. Anyone know if he is lying?

Benni.

well theres a pic of my box & i recon it stands me at around 8k i think possibly more

Old 13-09-2008, 01:21 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

He has a similair box with a motorbike on the front. I take it Snap On are expensive for a reason?

Benni.
Old 13-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Your box is still looking clean Blacky. Mine is covered in shit and dust from work,its a right grotty garage.I have worked in cleaner back street garages and im been serious to.The work bays have big black patches on the floor.