General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Compressor housing a/r. Any point to different sizes at all?

Search this Thread

Old 24-08-2008 | 10:06 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Default Compressor housing a/r. Any point to different sizes at all?

As title, I love turbos and know a lot about em, but ive never seen owt about it, and is certainly never an option n turbos like turbine a/r is, so whatever difference it makes must be rather small.

Reason I thought of this now is I have a Garrett turbo which ive identified by its wheel sizes, but the compressor housing itself is MASSIVLEY bigger than the listed one, even though the wheels are identical, inducer and exducer.

a/r is listed at .60 and looks pretty ordinary for the compressor wheel size, but this one is .86 and is about twice the fucking size as youd expect for the wheel it houses.

Why would that have been done? Its not a hybrid turbo, its of a standard engine.
Old 24-08-2008 | 10:14 PM
bbspolo
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

and u dont collect turbos hey stav !! lol
just another turbo for u noncollection!
Old 24-08-2008 | 10:43 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

No, not me

But I dont get this turbo, ie why it would be made like this, must be a reason...
Old 24-08-2008 | 11:28 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

Stavros,

In laymans terms, when wanting to run a high boost pressure for a given compressor wheel, it is best to run a larger A/R compressor housing. For low boosting applications it is better to use a smaller A/R ratio. This is because the compressor housing can be considered in the same way a plenum is to the engine, and the larger compressor housing gives a larger volute volume immediately at the exducer exit, which helps the compressor to process a greater air flow at the higher boost pressure required.
Old 24-08-2008 | 11:30 PM
Paul_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Karl
Stavros,

In laymans terms, when wanting to run a high boost pressure for a given compressor wheel, it is best to run a larger A/R compressor housing. For low boosting applications it is better to use a smaller A/R ratio. This is because the compressor housing can be considered in the same way a plenum is to the engine, and the larger compressor housing gives a larger volute volume immediately at the exducer exit, which helps the compressor to process a greater air flow at the higher boost pressure required.
Thats laymans terms?

How about thick fucker terms?
Old 24-08-2008 | 11:31 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

LOL
Old 24-08-2008 | 11:32 PM
SiZT
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by Paul_RS
Thats laymans terms?

How about thick fucker terms?
big boost, big compressor housing.

small boost, small compressor housing
Old 24-08-2008 | 11:35 PM
bbspolo
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

yer sure lol
think u have a problem mate !!!
Old 24-08-2008 | 11:48 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Stavros,

+1.
Old 25-08-2008 | 12:12 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Stavros,

Hmm, interesting, good info

From what I can tell, the turbo the wheel tallys up to fits in a housing the same as the others in the range, but the compressor map shows another bar or so of boost compared to the others in the range.

So seems like the large housing suits it more than the "normal" housing this compressor comes with, making what Karl said make sense

The turbne a/r is also very different, smaller a/r but bigger inlet/outlet, so thats less conclusive.

Still odd though, never seen one like this. My immediate thought was maybe its the 2nd or 3rd turbo in a compound charged engine, which tally up with the big boost etc etc. I dunno, odd really.