General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Downlighters

Search this Thread

Old 24-08-2008, 08:08 PM
cos jon
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downlighters

Just doing some house refurbishment and decided to go with some downlights in a few rooms, got talking with a guy who said that the bulbs for them won't be available soon due to mercury content or something, so when the bulbs blow you'll be buggered for replacements!!

Does anyone else have any info if this is the case, and is there any other options ??

Cheers.....
Old 25-08-2008, 08:07 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is soon(very soon) going to be illegal to manufacture std type filament bulbs, this is due to thier ineffeciency.
LED's are taking over, mainly led by CREE with thier excellent XR7090.
These produce awsome amounts of light for little in the way of power, they can be made in various wattages, but expressed in LUMENS and different colours.
Just as an example of thier effeciency I have a P1D CE Q5 torch with a 180 lumen cree led, it measures 71mm long about 15mm round, but is brighter by a hell of a long way than a 5 D cell maglight, despite being a 1/4 the size of 1 D cell battery.
tabetha
Old 25-08-2008, 08:14 AM
spenner
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont know if they have got better but the ones i fitted for a punter a few months ago were pants compared to low voltage lamps that are currently used also they have a weird colour sort of bluish purple and although they are bright dont seem to give off much light also made room feel cold.
Old 25-08-2008, 08:28 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

There certainly are some cheap and rubbish ones about that are not so cheap.
Not so much into these but torches is my hobby!!
tabetha
Old 25-08-2008, 08:31 AM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i have the LED ones in my bath room as i was sick of the the regular ones burning my head brightness and colour seem about the same, but no where near as hot
Old 25-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I've got low voltage ones in my kitchen and they don' seem as bright as the mains voltage ones in my bathroom. I fitted both sets and am pretty happy with both. Mine weren't expensive just the B&Q jobbies. Would post a pic but they're dangling while the ceiling is drying
Old 25-08-2008, 11:10 AM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Whatever down lights you fit there will always be a replacement lamp available to fit.
Traditional tungsten lamps are being phased out as are the current halogen low voltage.
Only discharge lamps (fluorescent etc) have mercury in them.
Halogen is going because it's inefficient, too much energy lost in heat. (I wonder why they allow Plasma T.V's same problem there)
LED will eventually catch up with the light output.

Old 25-08-2008, 06:16 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

CREE developed a LED, that gives out the same as a 350watt(240V) light bulb, but at 1/400th of the power consumption, and measuring 3mm X 3mm.
This won awards in 2005.
tabetha