General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

problems with fuel pump =(

Search this Thread

Old 23-08-2008, 11:54 AM
vibrating_cake
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry problems with fuel pump =(

riiight, i have my 2.0 zetec running on twin 45 webers...
i have a (i think) etiher red top or silver top fuel pump, connected to a fuel pressure regulator thats regulated to 3psi.
which then goes to the carbs and feeds the carbs properly.
but last night it had a paddy, and it kept blowing fuses after some "spirited driving" lol.
basically ive wired it as.

a 12V ignition wire goes to a 5 way relay. (which shouldnt really matter?)
its wired up so it switches ON when theres a 12v ignition signal to the relay.
i have used the same grounds for the ignition on and the fuel pump ground, (linked them together)
and i have a fused wire from the positive of the battery which goes to the switched part of the relay.

from here this powers the ECU and the FUEL PUMP on one relay with dedicated supply streight from the battery.

but after its decided to blow (30amp!) fuses, there must be something wrong, i cant see any nips in the cable which could create a short, ive re-wired all the cables to the relay.

but. the fuel pump pumps constantly when the ignition is on, if im in traffic, or blasting along as 6000rpm, do i need to fit anything else to stop the fuel pump when its pumped enough pressure into the pressure regulator and starts getting warm, or is this normal??

its really annoying me now GRR