General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Current financial situation.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porkie
because its a statistic?

He didn't make it up mate.

What does it matter what he earns?

I don't play for Chelsea but I can tell you what Micheal Ballack earns! or what the average wage for a premiership footballer is etc etc.
im taking about JIM looking at the average wage of 50k a year PERSONALY looking at it based on the people in hes office

not the statistic

would you say theres more people earning MORE than 50k than LESS than 50k per person

i admit the city is more than likely due to the actual cost of the area to be in

but average of LONDON ?
Old 12-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ginge, i really really really don't understand what you mean explain it to me later if youre coming out to play.

chip, whilst bit's true that there are oportunities out there for people to further your education - it doesnt work for everyone. not everyone can pick up a book, read it, and learn something. i'm sure someone with more knowledge on this subject that me can go into more details (teacher etc.) but the way your mind works allows you to soak up information easily. not everyone (infact the minority) work like that.

that being said i'm sure most could learn how to do a skilled job that could bring in a decentish salary. i've got a mate who's thick as two short planks (i mean properly thick) and he's earning good money as a spark (more than me easy)
Old 12-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Fagin
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by Mitsy FQ
no need to ask your parents you can ask me i rode that storm
Yeah.... but who was your x missus riding at the time?!?!

Apologies, but previous Turbosystems customers have a god damn right to abuse the bloke that has raped their wallets on previous occasions.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginge !
im taking about JIM looking at the average wage of 50k a year PERSONALY looking at it based on the people in hes office

not the statistic

would you say theres more people earning MORE than 50k than LESS than 50k per person

i admit the city is more than likely due to the actual cost of the area to be in

but average of LONDON ?

He is talking about SKILLED PEOPLE, and he has been from the first post he made on the subject.

So remove the 90% of peopel in london who are NOT skilled and professional, and yes the average is indeed somewhere (i dont know exactly where, I dont have enough data) above the 30K he mentioned im sure (in fact a long way above it I reckon personally!)
Likewise in his company, im sure if you remove the cleaners etc that he doenst interact with then yes the average wage is probably 50K+

How can you not understand such SIMPLE concepts?
Old 12-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Luca
Lukesville

Median full-time weekly earnings in London were Ł581, significantly higher than in other regions, where they ranged from Ł402 in Northern Ireland to Ł481 in the South East.

Here we go folks!

DONT SHOOT THE MESSENGER

Old 12-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

whats median again, i've forgotten what average is what. am i getting confused between mode and median?
Old 12-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by m4dyeti
Median full-time weekly earnings in London were Ł581, significantly higher than in other regions, where they ranged from Ł402 in Northern Ireland to Ł481 in the South East.

Here we go folks!

DONT SHOOT THE MESSENGER

So median for ALL jobs, not just the professional/skilled ones that Jim is talking about, is in fact almost exactly 30K a year Ginge!
Old 12-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Luca
Lukesville

Source: Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings (ASHE)

Notes:
Occupation data is taken from the sub-major group level of the Standard Occupational Classification 2000.
The median is the value below which 50 per cent of employees fall.
Pay refers to gross pay (before tax) of full-time employees on adult rates whose pay for the survey week was unaffected by absence. Annual and weekly earnings include paid overtime.
The Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings is based on a sample of employee jobs taken from HM Revenue & Customs PAYE records.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:25 PM
Luca
Lukesville

Just to show where I stole that from...

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=285
Chip

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally
whats median again, i've forgotten what average is what. am i getting confused between mode and median?
Median is the centre point mate.

So with

the median average is 2
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Fagin
Yeah.... but who was your x missus riding at the time?!?!

Apologies, but previous Turbosystems customers have a god damn right to abuse the bloke that has raped their wallets on previous occasions.
at the time or 15%+ interest she was screwing me and then in the property boom she screwed me some more oh and a few blokes lol can't live with them not allowed to kill them
Old 12-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Chip

Matt J

Rubbish, there are LOTS of computer programming roles near to where you live, and thats just an example from the trade I happen to be most skilled in, im sure there are lots of other trades doing similar.

I beleive people in derbyshire also have windows too, so Tony's brother is another example of something that you could make work if you got off your arse and gave it a go
Old 12-08-2008, 01:36 PM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Matt - J

Part-time Courses at Derby College

This section will help you find more information about the part-time courses at Derby College. A comprehensive list of all the courses we will be offering from September including courses starting in January and Spring next year.
Simply type in the name of the a course or search by subject area to find out the basic information such as course name, site, duration. To read a more detailed overview of the coures content just click on the 'more info.' button .
Search on Course Title or Course Code using keywords
Search College CoursesEnter key words
Select a Curriculum Area

BTW - Click the links below and shows there are absolutely loads of different courses in each category A range of concessions are available for most courses, exam and tuition fees are correct at time of going to press but are subject to change.

Here is a lsit of just the part time courses you can take...and if you look into the website.
http://www.derby-college.ac.uk/index...duleID=courses

There is also information on getting help with course fees etc...and it your a resident in the EU you dont pay too.
it may help or be complete bollox...but it is that easy to have access to information if you want
Old 12-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

im with mattj on this, there aint any free courses worth looking at UNLESS you have been unemployed for a long time and need help getting back into work

that said driving jobs can pay well if you get the right company,,,,, i took a TEMPING job at fords for driving and worked with that, ended up full time working in parts on 20k a year just cause i had a interest in parts and due to my GENUINE interest i managed to learn alot and then went to another company, done well and ASKED for more money and got it, if your at the right OR wrong company you can get somewhere with NO collage

that said though the missus done 2 years at college and is about to START a new job on more than i get paied now..... which IS anoying but she does need genuine qualifacations to work in a neonatal hospital ward,,,, which i COULDNT do considering what shes gonna have to see
Old 12-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

alternatively you could just marry for money plenty of divorced lonely women out there with their x husbands wedge
Old 12-08-2008, 01:45 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by m4dyeti
Just to show where I stole that from...

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=285
So Ginge....

will you finally admit defeat mate?
Old 12-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

when have i EVER admitted when im wrong,,,, even if i MAY perhaps be even though im NOT

Old 12-08-2008, 01:47 PM
dunketh
Chief Iron Oxide Farmer.

Our local college offer virtually no part time courses.
If you want to learn a new skill you have to drop out of work first which few could afford - even if the gamble paid off in the long term.

I think the older you get the more difficult it becomes. If I could have my time over again I'd take as much extra education as I could before I hit my 20s.
I still woudnt bother with uni as it doesnt appeal to me but I'd certainly have gone to college instead of taking the easy NVQ (Not Very Quick/Qualified) route.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:49 PM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Originally Posted by dunketh
Our local college offer virtually no part time courses.
If you want to learn a new skill you have to drop out of work first which few could afford - even if the gamble paid off in the long term.

I think the older you get the more difficult it becomes. If I could have my time over again I'd take as much extra education as I could before I hit my 20s.
I still woudnt bother with uni as it doesnt appeal to me but I'd certainly have gone to college instead of taking the easy NVQ (Not Very Quick/Qualified) route.
i done nvqs mate to start and now earn Ł40k plus at 24 so your theory of not very quick is crap
Old 12-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Chip

Ps

When I was born my dad and mum lived in a council house they had just managed to buy after saving like mad while living in my dad's auntie attic for cheap rent and both working all the hours they could, and my dad had just given up lorry driving to take a pay cut to fix machine tools for a living instead, an unskilled job but with a good company, he was determined to make something more of himself than just sitting in cabs all day, and needed to find himself a break, and he was convinced this was it.
He had no qualifications at all, having left school at 14, but had learnt a bit about how mechanical stuff worked during his national service in the army and managed to secure an interview eventually by contacting lots of companies until one spoke to him for long enough to see how determined he was.

He then started building up a good relationship with some of his customers he was repairing tools for, and also by paying attention built up an excellent product knowledge, he started talking to them about other products they might like, and realised he could potentially sell them some things too as well as fixing their machines, so he approached the company he worked for and asked if he could be an assistant salesman in his own time just to prove he was capable, and he didnt want a wage for the time he put in doing so, but wanted the same comission that the salesman got if he made any sales, they went for it.
Within 3 years, he was actually outperforming the salesman who was working full time, depsite the fact my dad was still doing this part time only alongside his job, and when the salesman left, my dad was of course offered his job, and quit the machine repair side of things, he got a company car and a basic salary as a salesman and was now back to earning about what he had on the lorries, so the gamble and hard work seemed to be paying off at last, he then worked his way up from there, he had a very basic education, he could read and write, but wasnt particuarly great at either, but my mum helped him learn and eventually he became very competant at all the paperwork etc, and so his career kept going, he ended up as the national sales manager, and earning very good money, although as the company he worked for were based in nottingham, it involved a lot of travelling and staying away, so he had to make sacrifices in that respect.

He now lives in (IMHO) one of the nicest 4 bed detached houses in the town he lives in (taunton in somerset), double garage and a nice plot of land with it etc, he has a very good pension (he made the maximum volentery contributions possible all through his working life to plan for his old age) and has a few foreign holidays a year.

Thats based on the following:
Leaving school at 14 with no real education
Living in one of the poorer parts of the country
NO ONE doing him any favours to get him into jobs etc
LOTS of hardwork and determination to provide as well as he could for his family
Never getting any inheritance, in fact quite the opposite when my nan on my mum's side died she was so poor that my dad spent his savings on giving her a good service as she didnt even leave enough money to bury herself!

And he did it all alongside being the best fucking dad and the best husband in the country in my very biased opinion.

He then paid to put me through uni, so I could get the sort of start he didnt get!

So as far as I can see it, the only thing he had going for you that you dont MattJ, is that he was determined to make the best out of life for me and my mum etc, and you arent!

Last edited by Chip; 12-08-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

think its cause the OLD quals took longer,,, due to kids fucking about and rushing the last year into a few weeks to get the job done

the missus has a NNEB and a NVQ, one took longer than the other,,, but needs BOTH for her job !!!
Old 12-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Chip

A career option most wont have considered.....

Get a job in mcdonalds / BK and work hard Matt, and as they are shift work you can easily fit in college courses.

My ex's brother did this, left school at 16, and went to work for burger king.

Worked his bollocks off, did some qualifications in his own time, got a shot at assistant manager, did well, became store manager, did well became area manager, he's now earning about 50K a year or so at age 30, and thats in somerset, where the average wage is MUCH lower than that.

Or is there some reason why you cant get a job with burger king as well?
Old 12-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

chip ANYONE whos old will have a similer story though, may not end up as good as yours but still have some form of a story, my old man lived in a childrens home from the age of 7 till he was 16 years old and started a business with my uncle ,,,,, then lost it and moved back to london,, had a house fire in 89 with no house insurance ( low wages, cut corners and make gambles) then bought another flat and worked every hour he could and retired,,, ok hes blind in one eye and going blind overall so got a large pay out for that aswell but hes still doing fine,,,, was a shite parent though but considering he never had any parents and started REALLY with fuck all he never done that bad IMO
Old 12-08-2008, 01:57 PM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Originally Posted by Matt J
Thanks for the link Dan, but its catch 22 with any of those, if I was still living at home and had no bills to pay then a starting any of those wouldnt be an issue, how do you fit one of those courses in around a full time job? most of those listed need the occasional full day attendance, employers of unskilled workers aren't to keen on giving their staff regular days off to better themselves.

Ginge, driving is what I've been looking out for, but they seem thin on the ground at the minute, unless you have 7.5t licence in which case you're laughing. nice little van driving job would suit me down to the ground if I could find one.
Well why not ask your parents if you can move back in....no loving parent would ever see their kid on the streets...if you were buming around then yeah i would assume mine would but if you say its cos you want to retraint and make more of your life im sure they would help you out. even if its havign a room at theirs again till you have trained and got yourself sorted.

and you can do the courses in the evening...my mates gf was travelling from Milton Keynes to london 2 evenings a week for a year as she wanted a job in marketing and guess what she has one now... cos she put the effort in.

Were the is a will there IS a way
Old 12-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

lee the average for london,, not talking about the city like you are

the average wage in islington for MOST people,,,, not the average based on the higher paied people is not 30k based on the people there

and theres NO WAY you think the average wage is higher than what you get paied as thats a dream world and the same type of person who thinks that will be the same one talking about what he earns a year whilst paying for hes starbucks on credit card

also the more you earn dont mean the richer you are always,,, as generally you get bigger bills to waste the money

i remmeber telling you lee i DONT need sky or broadband as its a waste of money,,,, and im on 20meg bb and watching my xl package virgin with the V+ hd box on a 50 ins tv

shows how much I talk shite dont it

back soon as rory the racing car is on pmsl
Ginge, can I just say.... EVEN for you that was a legendary shite post!

But I think Chip pointed that out

I think you walk around thinking that EVERYONE who has ANYTHING cool or expensive MUST have bought it on credit just because thats what a few people who try to be flash down YOUR local do!?!?!! and I think you do that to make yourself feel better?

When I see someone with something ubercool that I can't afford... I think 'wow, good for them! and sweeeet. I'd love to be able to afford that! Maybe if I work harder, or win the lottery I can get one!

when have i EVER admitted when im wrong,,,, even if i MAY perhaps be even though im NOT

Wow even maria is better at admitting she is wrong that you!

Glad to see you are finally accepting the truth

P.S are you gonna stomp into work and demand a pay rise tomorrow?

Last edited by Porkie; 12-08-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Chip

chip ANYONE whos old will have a similer story though, may not end up as good as yours but still have some form of a story, my old man lived in a childrens home from the age of 7 till he was 16 years old and started a business with my uncle ,,,,, then lost it and moved back to london,, had a house fire in 89 with no house insurance ( low wages, cut corners and make gambles) then bought another flat and worked every hour he could and retired,,, ok hes blind in one eye and going blind overall so got a large pay out for that aswell but hes still doing fine,,,, was a shite parent though but considering he never had any parents and started REALLY with fuck all he never done that bad IMO
Ginge, the guy I just posted about above your post, is 3 years YOUNGER than me!
Old 12-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

chip can we have proof of the average wage in sommerset please,,,,, pmsl
Old 12-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Chip

chip can we have proof of the average wage in sommerset please,,,,, pmsl
We could, but you would be too thick to understand it
Old 12-08-2008, 01:59 PM
DanCossie
Post Whore

sod off he is dont get any ideas ginge
Old 12-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

chip you have yet to give me any advice on my current financial situation
I'll do it for you,you shouldn't have married the biatch
Old 12-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Chip

chip you have yet to give me any advice on my current financial situation
I'll do it for you,you shouldn't have married the biatch
My guess:
Marrying her was the best thing you did financially, as it was living with her which gave you the motivation you needed to be never at home, in order to avoid her, this led to you putting in the hours required to setup your business selling turbosystems sunstrips that made you rich, and also the other little bits and pieces you did with cars and engines etc.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

dont need to mate, my last day was friday and now im on holiday for my notice and start a new job on LESS money after that, money is great but no good if you aint going anywhere and i was at the highest wage i was ever gonna earn and was never gonna get another job due to me being good at what i done if that makes sence

but in 2 years i WILL be on 35k a year in a job I love, but i dont need to earn that as im lucky in a few ways but id like to own a boat at some point in my retirement,,,,, and not a canoe
Old 12-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Chip

but in 2 years i WILL be on 35k a year in a job I love, but i dont need to earn that as im lucky in a few ways but id like to own a boat at some point in my retirement,,,,, and not a canoe

Well based on that, and on the amount of inteligence shown in your other posts on this thread.
I conclude, that beyond any shadow of a doubt, that ANY IDIOT can earn 35K in london
Old 12-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Chip
My guess:
Marrying her was the best thing you did financially, as it was living with her which gave you the motivation you needed to be never at home, in order to avoid her, this led to you putting in the hours required to setup your business selling turbosystems sunstrips that made you rich, and also the other little bits and pieces you did with cars and engines etc.
think all tony ever sold was the sunstrips and boot stickers as every car i seen with them on NEVER had work done on them by turbosystems pmsl
Old 12-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Chip

think all tony ever sold was the sunstrips and boot stickers as every car i seen with them on NEVER had work done on them by turbosystems pmsl
Really?
Perhaps that was EXACTLY what I was joking about too, get Jim to explain what I wrote to you
Old 12-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

My guess:
You may be on to something there I do spend a lot more time at home these days now she isn't there moaning lol
Old 12-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Chip

You may be on to something there I do spend a lot more time at home these days now she isn't there moaning lol
Mind you, its when you werent there she did most of her moaning
(with the gardener, the pool boy, the paper boy, the milkman)
Old 12-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Well based on that, and on the amount of inteligence shown in your other posts on this thread.
I conclude, that beyond any shadow of a doubt, that ANY IDIOT can earn 35K in london
chip i was basing what jim said about how HE sees it, dan understood what i ment but you never

anyone can earn ANYTHING,,,, some people can be lucky too

i was far to busy having a good time for years to chase having a good wage, now im in a different situation where im ok at what i actually do and the game you work in is ALWAYS a small world so always got chances to do something if your face fits

chip i used to earn 30k a year when i was 22 years old training traffic wardens the RTA of 1991, hated the job though and was draining for me

i need a job im intersted in as otherwise it seems to affect who i am,,, hard to explain but i will ALWAYS have a job i enjoy

Quick Reply: Current financial situation.....