General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Boxsters..... Porkie?!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 02:30 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Boxsters..... Porkie?!!

Having decided against a gas guzzling f150 lightning to replace the integra when i goes i had me heart set on a 350Z, then somebody suggested a Boxster, never really looked into them but seems I can get a tidy 2.7 model for 11k ish. What are they 'actually' like (ie - people that have owned / driven one that arent blinkered by the poor mans porsche image?!). I've been advised to get the 2000 year facelift (2.7, not 2.5?) and before March 2001 to avoid paying loads of roadtax, does this sound right? (porkie?)

Drive wise what are they like? Not expecting mental power but wondering what it is like compared to my teg? Space inside, fuel consumption, servicing? (porkie??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

See a lovely black one with tan leather for 11k in the trader i'm tempted to go and look at!!

Cheers
Chris
Old 10-08-2008, 02:38 PM
StephTell
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've looked into these as well, drove a 2.5 model and even though powerwise it has nothing on a cossie it's has enough power to be convincing an the handling is really nice.
Well screwed to together and apperantly utterly reliable.

I was looking at the facelifted 2.7 model as well, black and tan being my favourite combo!
Old 10-08-2008, 05:26 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

ive driven a few, and i was totally impressed by the S! totally great car, but they aint to everyones liking, a few of my friends really dislike the way they drive, i think its just them lol
Old 10-08-2008, 05:33 PM
sueedw
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The s is deffo the one to get tan leather is a no no apparantly as is yellow in colour best and most safest black on black or silver remember one with a glass rear screen and they are prone to alarm problems mine did as many other owners)Fsh a must standard wheels are pretty rubbish so try and aim for one with an after market set of bbs or turbo wheels oh and a rear wind deflector.Driving wise great drive brilliant throught the twisty stuff.But be prepared to be called a tosser at every junction as you have a boxster Aslo in the current market a great car for very little money

Last edited by sueedw; 10-08-2008 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you like your integra you will definatly like a vx220 turbo
Old 10-08-2008, 08:16 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Stephtell - black / tan its gotta be!!! Or a white one if you can find one!!

sueedw - most people say the S isn't really worth paying a premium for?? Even Evo mag say there isn't a great deal of difference??

Alps - unfortunatley the VX's would be bottom of my list!! A mate had one and i didnt particularly like it, plus the missus has got to drive it and dont think she will want to climb in and out of one at Asdas!!!!!!!

Chris
Old 10-08-2008, 08:20 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Never driven a Boxster but the Cayman S are nice cars

Mike
Old 10-08-2008, 08:36 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Captain Mike

Mike
If I could get one for about Ł12k i'd be there in a flash!!! Lovely red one a few doors down from me!!!

Chris
Old 10-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

red porsche, dear lord
Old 10-08-2008, 08:45 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

3.2s is the minimum one to have IMO, the 2.5's & 2.7's are boring, well built but boring
Old 10-08-2008, 08:49 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by cfoster
If I could get one for about Ł12k i'd be there in a flash!!! Lovely red one a few doors down from me!!!

Chris
You could have mine but i would want a lot more then that lol

Mike
Old 10-08-2008, 09:01 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Captain Mike

Mike
Agreed!

We had one for a week whilst one one of the cars was in the bodyshop and it was so good!

Far faster than I imagined it would be too!
Old 10-08-2008, 09:11 PM
polly_x

I owned one for 3 years and had quite a few Porsches so have real life experience and comparisons! It was a 2.7 Manual.

You want the last facelifted one if possible(model year 2003 available on late 52 plate onwards). You get the better interior, the better front and rear bumpers, clear lights and the glass rear window amongst a few other things.

They are great cars. They are not the fastest thing in a straight line but none the less do go well. You also dont buy one to drive it like that anyway. Your buying one because your stepping out of your boyracer days and moving on. They handle great and they stop great too. Avoid tiptronic in any model unless you want an auto.

Will still say to this day out of all the porsches ive had the 2.7 manual boxster is the most fun to drive. I miss the car loads but had to get something more practical when baby Daisy arrived.

Options I would personally look for are Climate/Air Con, Digital or Bose sound, 18 inch Turbo or Carrera Classic wheels, Leather Sports Seats, Wind Deflector. Litronics if you can find one.

As said above, safe colours are the Silvers, Blacks, Dark Blues like midnight and the Metallic Greys. IMO opinion the tan interior is horrible and does not wear well. Black or Graphite leather best.

Any questions on details, just shout, but overall. Great value for money.

Last edited by polly_x; 10-08-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:25 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

pollyx - thanks for that mate, was the kind of description etc I was after. Not after out and out balls out speed as for 12k im sure I can get something quicker, i just want something with enough poke to keep me entertained, as well as the reliability and build quality etc.... I would like a 2003 but for Ł12k i can only get a good 2000/2001 2.7 or perhaps a 3.2s.

lhd220turbo - what makes them so boring mate as performance wise etc they aren't an awful lot different? Also it seems that many magazines / reviews rate the 2.7 overall better than the S?

Chris
Old 10-08-2008, 09:32 PM
polly_x

lhd220turbo - what makes them so boring mate as performance wise etc they aren't an awful lot different? Also it seems that many magazines / reviews rate the 2.7 overall better than the S?

Chris

Exactly my point. Ive had both as well as a few 911's and the 2.7 Manual is the best fun. You have to keep it on the boil but just great fun.

Shame you cant stretch to a 2003. I sold ours for a touch under 20K about 6 months back. The early 2.7 is the next best bet then. Quite a few have the clear lights and the wheel upgrades anway if you hunt around.

Stu
Old 10-08-2008, 09:35 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Are the clear light options come from Porker or are they aftermarket? (ie - can I change these after?). There seems to be loads about so hopefully should have a nice choice to choose from. Are there anything dodgy to check on them? Clutches etc?? Just got to sell the bloody dc5 now!!

Chris
Old 10-08-2008, 09:58 PM
polly_x

Are the clear light options come from Porker or are they aftermarket? (ie - can I change these after?). There seems to be loads about so hopefully should have a nice choice to choose from. Are there anything dodgy to check on them? Clutches etc?? Just got to sell the bloody dc5 now!!

Chris
Best to get genuine. Ł734 for the full new OEM kit from www.porscheshop.co.uk

Things to watch out for would be.

1. Make sure the gearshift is smooth and not difficult to get into any gears. (especially 2nd to 3rd)

2. Clutch. Common sense stuff, check its not slipping.

3. Engines are really strong, just check for Oil leaks. They do rattle a little when started cold and also you may get a little smoke when started. No worries IMO.

4. Exhaust, The Boxster has 2 heat shields on the rear and the brackets corrode really quick. Usually rattle when cold. Easy job to replace. Cheap from main dealer.

5. Front suspension bushes are prone to wear if its been driven hard. Again not a difficult job and you can actually switch the over left to right/right to left for a cheap fix!

6. Brakes again common sense. Worn discs will cost you to repair. They are not major expensive though if you do yourself.

Just check other stuff like all electrics work, roof does all it should etc.

There are SO many for sale so look for one with low mileage and pref UK supplied with history and original paperwork/service book etc. Doubt you will find one with full main dealer of that age but just make sure its been looked after.

Hope that helps,

Stu
Old 11-08-2008, 08:35 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Excellent cheers for that . Have heard to check the gearchange. With the clear lights deffo dont want to be spending Ł700 quid afterwards on them!!!! Seem to be a fair few with them so will keep an eye out.

What are they like on juice? Can't see them being too bad??

Cheers
Chris
Old 11-08-2008, 08:59 AM
polly_x

Excellent cheers for that . Have heard to check the gearchange. With the clear lights deffo dont want to be spending Ł700 quid afterwards on them!!!! Seem to be a fair few with them so will keep an eye out.

What are they like on juice? Can't see them being too bad??

Cheers
Chris
Not bad on fuel at all. I guess late 20's or in the 30's on a run.

The gearchange problem is usually just an uprated spring in the linkage required, but could be worse. Ours had to have a new gearbox as in was something more sinister inside. Luckily was still warranted at the time!
Old 11-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Great cars! buy on condition and history rather than just mileage...

mines on the original brake discs and clutch! and its 8 years old now and has doen 50k miles! and I drive it sooooooooooooooo foooking hard!

Not fast in a straight line but incredibly balanced and amazingly rewarding cars to drive and own.

get the clear lights all round and some eibach lowering springs and a full geo set up.... and look for cheap sports exhaust second hand off ebay.

those mods will TRANSFORM the car!
Old 11-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Chris Honeywell
Advanced PassionFord User

Yeah great cars m8 good luck with the search
Old 11-08-2008, 11:24 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Porkie
Great cars! buy on condition and history rather than just mileage...

mines on the original brake discs and clutch! and its 8 years old now and has doen 50k miles! and I drive it sooooooooooooooo foooking hard!

Not fast in a straight line but incredibly balanced and amazingly rewarding cars to drive and own.

get the clear lights all round and some eibach lowering springs and a full geo set up.... and look for cheap sports exhaust second hand off ebay.

those mods will TRANSFORM the car!

Cool cool, have looked on boxa.net and some people are saying they aren't overly reliable, whereas some are saying they are indestructable!!!!

Is yours a 2.7 Lee? Also what sort of coin are the exhausts, i remember when you had one fitted you said it changed the car!!

Chris
Old 11-08-2008, 01:39 PM
~nomad~
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

reading this makes me want one again. I would have to sell all my toys and the daily car thou
Old 11-08-2008, 02:28 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I actually really like my Cayman S great car to drive but to get the most out of it like Polly X says you have to keep it up the rev range, it always amazes me how fast it builds up speed so smoothly.

Plus the build quality of a Porsche is very good

Mike
Old 11-08-2008, 03:00 PM
RC4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

chris
lovely cars as said the s is the one to go for
try pistonheads porsche forum loads of topics on buying boxters mate
good choice!