General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

speccing an oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 06:08 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speccing an oil cooler?

i know theres different sizes for different engine sizes etc etc but can remember the size needed for a 2.0 zetec turbo, is it a 13 row?
Old 09-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

paul you need to KNOW you oil temps first before getting a oil cooler,,, as road use its pointless unless theres a problem you know about, my scoobie has NEVER seen over 110 degrees in my car and most times its at 95ish when driven having fun, the 110 was at the ring cueing to get of the ring

you bonnet is VERY hot but whats the oil temps ?
Old 09-08-2008, 06:27 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

would like to take it on track once mapped etc but couldnt see it doing any harm having a thermostic cooler, exhaust manifold lets of heat well, better than keeping it in
Old 09-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

paul if you have no heat issues then its never gonna be needed, thermostatic cooler will be about as much use as as a spare wheel if you have no issues as its NEVER gonna be used

WAIT till you need one THEN look into fitting one

im thinking of fitting one but im quite agressive with the car but so far tbh i DONT need one though i think i need a gauge for the gearbox temp as mine seems to whine alot when i drive it hard but i use the box to slow down and cant drive a for shite anyway

wait till you need one mate or is it a "bling" thing to talk about ?
Old 09-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

PS: im fitting a oil cooler to my power steering as it spills out the cap when its hot and a comon problem on impreza's
Old 09-08-2008, 06:40 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

was just thinking of it as a safety factor, ive built a new engine that seems to pull nice and dont want to see it damaged so was looking at a few things to protect it, decent oil for one, just bought some millers to go in it
Old 09-08-2008, 06:51 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

paul understand what your buying before you throw you cash at things as you could be paying a grand on shite for nothing

oil for example is ALL good these days due to the way its refined and the Zetec not needed the same tollerences as some machines needed these days

iv got 5/30 in my car which is a little more sensitive to oil and is fine

just like you 5 mins to idle when stationary is not needed when you aint ragged it due to oil taking longer than 5 mins to cool when stationary anyway

seriously theres alot of scare mongering blamed for failures when other things aint even considered
Old 09-08-2008, 07:04 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Ginge !
paul understand what your buying before you throw you cash at things as you could be paying a grand on shite for nothing

oil for example is ALL good these days due to the way its refined and the Zetec not needed the same tollerences as some machines needed these days

iv got 5/30 in my car which is a little more sensitive to oil and is fine

just like you 5 mins to idle when stationary is not needed when you aint ragged it due to oil taking longer than 5 mins to cool when stationary anyway

seriously theres alot of scare mongering blamed for failures when other things aint even considered
i know i probally dont need one but catious after spending alot on the engine and dont want anything going wrong, with the proce of that millers oil it better be good lol, and i was letting it cool because we were doing 130 on the way (and im paranoid so let it cool- for a little while anyhow)
Old 09-08-2008, 10:06 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

paul i aint got a clue what speed we was doing tbh but honestly oil is one of them things you will never notice,,,, people who do are just talking shite unless the grade of oil is different but thats another conversation

dont be paranoid about the car mate was what im getting at, enjoy it and wait for the issues to arrise rather than keep fiddling with it
Old 10-08-2008, 12:03 AM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

more trying to prevent them from happening lol
Old 10-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

paul trying to prevent can me fitting pointless parts and over complicate things aswell

think your just at the point you aint got a clue what to spend the money on now and looking for things
Old 12-08-2008, 06:19 AM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

no, like i said ive spent alot on a new engine and "IF" needed il buy one as i dont want anything damaging my engine
Old 12-08-2008, 06:59 AM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

i have a 2.0l 16v engine in my pug and i run a 16row 235mm one,

with thermostat,

never have any issues