General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

POST 93 SETUP????

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 04:43 PM
Uncle Henry
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POST 93 SETUP????

I need to gather all the necessary bits to make my 3 door comply with US83 emissions regulations (ie post 93 setup)

It already has a L8 ecu, but is there a pre 93 and post 93 type?

I also need it to run a lambda sensor and standard injectors.

so I guess I need:

the right ecu
standard chip
4x4 (blue) injectors
2 bar map sensor
lambda sensor
and a cat

Is there anything else needed and is there more than one type of L8????

Old 04-11-2004, 04:44 PM
RANJ
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have brand new lambda sensors £40 +pp in ford boxs
also have the 4x4 blue injectors used
Old 04-11-2004, 04:46 PM
Uncle Henry

pm me a price please Ranj and I'll look into when Ive got all the info I need
Old 04-11-2004, 05:01 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

does post '93 also include a knock sensor? not that it has anything to do with emissions control....
Old 04-11-2004, 07:19 PM
Uncle Henry

I dont know if it would be knock sensor compatable as I am still using the original 3 door wiring loom, it shouldnt matter either way for emissions though.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:43 PM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

so y2k and alan was right about yours going over henry?
ie,, it has to go over as a grey import not a personally import because you have not had it long?
what state are you going to?
Old 04-11-2004, 07:51 PM
Uncle Henry

Im going to Melbourne and have been in contact with the guy who is going to comply (who also has an RS500!)

If it runs the standard post 93 setup it can be complied as they can 'assume' it would pass the complicated emisions test. Then I can drive it home and put the greys and T34 back on

I just need to know if any L8 can run the lambda sensor or if there is different versions.

Im seriously running out of time now as I fly in 13 days time and the car goes a day or two before that!!!!

I still need to get it up to Stu for a setup on the greys too

Trending Topics

Old 04-11-2004, 08:41 PM
Rs Gus
impreza wrx sti version 8

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

get stu to map it on closed loop and greys m8 mine is 0.53%co from idle to 3000rpm
Old 04-11-2004, 08:49 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Rs Gus
get stu to map it on closed loop and greys m8 mine is 0.53%co from idle to 3000rpm
That is without cat as well BTW so it will drop lower with a cat fitted...
Old 04-11-2004, 09:06 PM
Uncle Henry

It wouldnt pass the emissions test even on closed loop as the test incorporates a variety of load conditions and throttle openings in different gears etc under which the the ecu would return to normal map conditions and would fail.

i aim to just put it back to standard when it gets there, get it complied, then return it to eco-unfriendly but more fun mode

so back to the question...do I need a specific version of the L8 ecu to run a lambda sensor or will any L8 do?
Old 04-11-2004, 09:09 PM
Rs Gus
impreza wrx sti version 8

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a normal cossie ecu reverts to a normal map mate when its loaded up i.e anything other than idle and very light driving it revorts to the std map because its turbocharged it would blow up for fun when it hit boost and no u dont need a specific ecu afaik just a l8 with the lamba software ie a red top will take it
Old 04-11-2004, 09:26 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Uncle Henry
It wouldnt pass the emissions test even on closed loop as the test incorporates a variety of load conditions and throttle openings in different gears etc under which the the ecu would return to normal map conditions and would fail.

i aim to just put it back to standard when it gets there, get it complied, then return it to eco-unfriendly but more fun mode

so back to the question...do I need a specific version of the L8 ecu to run a lambda sensor or will any L8 do?
Well if a L8 won't pass the test, WTF are you going to do to get it passed? The ECU fuels for what the car needs!!

The way Stu utilises the closed loop lambda is the origional strategy in the ECU's operating system so all L8 ECU's operate the same once they have closed loop lambda activated......wether on a standard map or Stu's map.

Like Gus says they all, including standard revert back to normal mapping if the ECU sees sharp throttle movements, RPM above 4k, boost above 4 psi or full throttle....
Old 04-11-2004, 09:52 PM
Uncle Henry

The point is if the car isnt standard post 93 spec it will have to undergo one of these emissions tests which costs in the region of $2500 to conduct (even if it fails).
and grey injectors are not standard!

I have 2 choices:

1)fit standard post 93 parts and the car does not have to undergo emissions testing as its assumed it would pass.

2)present it for testing with the greys fitted and pay $2500 for an emissions test which it wouldnt pass (even with Stu's closed loop control)

The easiest and cheapest option all round is to pick up the necessary std parts here 2nd hand and just throw them on to get it complianced, then bin them and refit the decent bits!!
Old 04-11-2004, 09:54 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Uncle Henry
The point is if the car isnt standard post 93 spec it will have to undergo one of these emissions tests which costs in the region of $2500 to conduct (even if it fails).
and grey injectors are not standard!

I have 2 choices:

1)fit standard post 93 parts and the car does not have to undergo emissions testing as its assumed it would pass.

2)present it for testing with the greys fitted and pay $2500 for an emissions test which it wouldnt pass (even with Stu's closed loop control)

The easiest and cheapest option all round is to pick up the necessary std parts here 2nd hand and just throw them on to get it complianced, then bin them and refit the decent bits!!
Right....I understand.

How would they know greys are not standard though?
Old 04-11-2004, 10:03 PM
Uncle Henry

The guy owns an RS500 himself so is clued up enough to know!!

I could always paint them blue but it wouldnt be very fair as he is going to help me out as much as possible anyway.

It also has to undergo a simple co test @ idle just to ensure the cat/lambda setup is working ok (I know I could go closed loop and paint the injectors blue but its still not worth it as the turbo has to go back to standard too)

I'll give Stu a bell in the morning to arrange a setup and get a bit more gen on the L8/lambda issue.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:05 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Looks like you're poked into going right back to standard!!

Shame cos the closed loop is really good on a seriously modded car!
Old 04-11-2004, 10:10 PM
Uncle Henry

It's not a major job to throw the standard bits on for a day and the internal engine mods are ok because they cant be seen

I'd really love to go closed loop anyway but I think time and financial restraints are going to make it impossible before I leave and there is no-one over there that can do it either
Old 04-11-2004, 10:11 PM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

thank fook i can get mine in on a personal import
but sayin that closed loop does sound the kiddy,and i may just may get it done just for the sake of it
Old 04-11-2004, 10:17 PM
Uncle Henry

When are you going pops?

youre going to NSW aint you?
Old 04-11-2004, 10:19 PM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

late next year mate,,,,time this fooking paper work goes though

yeah manly/harbord/dee why area
Old 05-11-2004, 06:55 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

yes Uncle, there are 2 types of L8 ECU, more details url=http://www.homepages.hetnet.nl/~peters_w/Techtalk/techtalk.html#Electrics/electronics]here[/url]

alternatively, i believe that if you buy one that is not lambda enabled, stu can sell you a standard chip for it with it enabled, and then you just need to connect a 2 wire lambda sensor to it (pin 2?).

either way, your current 3 door loom for L1 will not have the lambda sensor wiring and will have to be modified to add that in. it will also have to have the outer 2 wires on the TPS connector swapped around, and a L8 TPS (PF09) fitted.

if i was in your position, i would get the standard bits quick and get them fitted and setup. there are a few mods need to be done, like the tps and lambda wiring, and these could take a day or 2 to get working.

i wouldn't worry too much about your greys setup (sorry if this means a loss of business to anyone over here), as i would buy an autronic ecu when i got over there as they are cheap and well known. then you'd be able to get a local tuning place to live map (not necessarily as well as stu could do). you could always get the greys chip with lambda enabled software off stu before you go and get it setup over there. it really isn't that difficult for any proper tuner.

hth, and good luck over there. keep in touch with us all through PF and send us some pics when you get settled in.