General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Mad Rod back at the dyno today

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Stav, it was revving up quickly through the rev range and making boost as it went, Id say in fact that on most of the runs the revs were going up QUICKER than they would in 4th or 5th gear.

But yes for held figures, that is of course true, you can give the turbo ages to spool, which would only happen on a hill in a high gear normally.

The thing they seemed to have missed somewhat though, is that if you are in a high gear and off boost, the revs wont rise anyway, as its got not torque till its on boost, lol

So basically IMHO their points are potentially very valid, but in this instance the dyno wasnt holding back, particularly on the run where we did the power curve, the whole run took only a few seconds.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Stavros
Pail Blamire from Zen Performance (ie the batshit fast Impreza Time Attack car etc) made an interesting post I jus noticed though, but its way over my head with regard to how dynos work, so needs some expert commentary, or maybe Sheady or someone to reply on there...

It's worth noting the results for ROd's engine come from an engine dyno where you can hold the RPM until the boost rises. Unless you hold it on the brakes you're not going to see those torque levels at 4500rpm with normal driving.

Basically saying its working as a transbrake, and just like a transbrake you get tons more spoolup, and i mean tons, than you would normally. Wether thats true or not, dunno, i dont have a clue about dynos.

Then Robbie from R.I.P.S. (ie legendary NZ Skyline tuner replied with...

I was thinking there'd have to be something like that going on but didn't want to start anything.

I think it would be a pretty safe bet to say that if he drove along in 4th gear at 4000rpm and nailed it, not alot would happen for quite some time.
Rob

Does Sheady or someone wanna reply on there to explain? I know fook all about dynos to know what the trusth is.

Stav, Paul is spot on you can produce good figures like that. I was going to make the observation myself but didn't want to start tuna wars!!

Last edited by Martin-Hadland; 08-08-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've no clue about all this stuff, but prob good for Mark to go on there and clarify it.

Originally Posted by rapidcossie
The way Paul is putting across is that if you hold it long enough the boost just rises and rises.
Depends how it is set really. Thats how transbrakes work on race autoboxes. Engages 1st and reverse at the same time, welly to the floor, hold it long enough (ive seen cars take 30secs to spool up sitting on the transbrake at low rpm, but they do in the end! ) and anything spools up from anywhere pretty much.
Obv that only works from a standstill, but the principle potentially the same is the same.

Few transbrake videos for you Euan (i had some awesome Supra ones, but cant find the good ones now)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB2qsj4Tzm0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mdTcRuJpuk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnppPlVw-sI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoV4gKt6z24
(The third one is a good example of it can take AGES, but gets there in the end. 30sec or so in that vid, as no nitrous and the transbrake holding the revs too low to spool fast without the gas on)

Last edited by Stavros; 08-08-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Doby
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stavros,why did you say comp ratio in the 7's?Its 8.4-1!

infact everyone thinks its 7-1!!
Old 08-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Doby
stavros,why did you say comp ratio in the 7's?Its 8.4-1!
This thread on the GTR forum was the previous engine, which was 7.9, Mark upped the CR when they went back this time.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by martin-reyland
Stav, Paul is spot on you can produce good figures like that. I was going to make the observation myself but didn't want to start tuna wars!!
You can, they didnt, lol

If I go along for the next one, I'll video it and post the video up here
Old 08-08-2008, 12:26 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by mk3cosworth
lol you must have a ruff idea and waht shot of nos do you use or you keepeing it a secret

love your motor by the way
I do not use nitrous, never have.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:36 PM
brad
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by stevieturbo

steve , have you got a spec on your latest build ?
last thing i saw on the granada forum was it was stripped down for a rebuild with something or other !!
Old 08-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Chip

you should try it mate, its fucking awesome, you'd have won the Kilo at TOTB if you used it I reckon!
Old 08-08-2008, 01:04 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
you should try it mate, its fucking awesome, you'd have won the Kilo at TOTB if you used it I reckon!
Its all easy to say that.

You cant take pressurised cylinders across on the ferry, so there is an immediate hassle.

Getting gas here is also another difficulty.....I know of one place that offers it....I wouldnt buy from them though.

And then there is the risk of solenoids failing....intake explosions, and various other common problems associated with it.
You cant say they arent common, as Ive seen more than a few manifolds blown apart from it on other peoples cars.

Then you also have to consider.....a bottle with a decent sized shot doesnt last very long.

So as far as I see it, it simply isnt worth it. As I mentioned earlier, I'm not racing anyone other than myself. So I dont particularly care if I dont win TOTB, I dont enter any real competitive racing, as it simply isnt feasable for me to take part given distance and cost involved.

My car is purely for my own enjoyment.....I want it to go faster, but I dont want to rely on a small temporary bottle for that.
I want any power that I have, available any time I want it.

Almost every time I drive it, I learn that there are many areas where there is room for improvement....so I'll continue to work on those.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Chip

Fair play mate
Old 08-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by dumped
not if he had been driving along with his foot on the brake lol!!!!

I remember StevenRW on here winning many a side by side race with such tactics lol.
It only made a "small" difference in this situations. Foot on brake at about 3000 rpm - make about 5psi, lift braking foot and the car makes full boost slightly sooner. Nothing that could be called cheating...

RW
Old 08-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Its all easy to say that.
My car is purely for my own enjoyment.....I want it to go faster, but I dont want to rely on a small temporary bottle for that.
I want any power that I have, available any time I want it.

Almost every time I drive it, I learn that there are many areas where there is room for improvement....so I'll continue to work on those.
Yo matey - I forget what actual engine is in your car? It seems to go rather well!

Cheers

RW
Old 08-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Steven_RW
Yo matey - I forget what actual engine is in your car? It seems to go rather well!

Cheers

RW

Its a vauxhall monaro engine, well same as.

Very cool engines
Old 08-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Its a vauxhall monaro engine, well same as.

Very cool engines
I can think of more glamorous links for the engine!
Old 08-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Porkie
I can think of more glamorous links for the engine!
More glamourous than vauxhall?

Surely not!

I was just naming the most common car stevenrw is likely to come into contact with in this country with the engine, I doubt he sees many corvettes, lol
Old 08-08-2008, 02:24 PM
sbd16v
PassionFord Post Troll

More glamourous than vauxhall?

Surely not!

I was just naming the most common car stevenrw is likely to come into contact with in this country with the engine, I doubt he sees many corvettes, lol

and seeing as the firing order is the different from the corvette then its deff a vauxhall engine

iirc or cause
Old 08-08-2008, 02:29 PM
lead_foot
is awesome

Arn't all LS* 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3 and older V8s are 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2?
Old 08-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Chip

Are you two going to start having a nerd-off?
Old 08-08-2008, 02:33 PM
sbd16v
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by lead_foot
Arn't all LS* 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3 and older V8s are 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2?
when i was in australia i was chatting to a bloke about the ls series

and he was telling me that holden changed the firing order of the corvette engine to make it run smoother and give better emmisions ( not sure how it would change emmisions thou lol )
Old 08-08-2008, 02:35 PM
lead_foot
is awesome

Originally Posted by sbd16v
when i was in australia i was chatting to a bloke about the ls series

and he was telling me that holden changed the firing order of the corvette engine to make it run smoother and give better emmisions ( not sure how it would change emmisions thou lol )
Just found:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...66&h=&t=214416
Old 08-08-2008, 02:40 PM
volcomstone411
Regular Contributor

i am an absolute noob, so feel free to ignore me...

but arnt wrc cars an engines far more restricted than the engine in question?

And millingtons only usually produce about 300hp, and some more torques, so i think the engine in question is slightly outside the limits of what others have done?
Old 08-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by volcomstone411
i am an absolute noob, so feel free to ignore me...

but arnt wrc cars an engines far more restricted than the engine in question?

And millingtons only usually produce about 300hp, and some more torques, so i think the engine in question is slightly outside the limits of what others have done?
You are correct about WRC engines, although despite their low outputs they still run massive cylinder pressures that strain the gasket, due to a combination of:
high comp
big midrange boost
massive amounts of timing
very det resitant fuel

so they are still quite relevant in many ways.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

The thread on GTR forum is still going it seems-
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/101217-72...4500-good.html

Pail Blamire from Zen Performance (ie the batshit fast Impreza Time Attack car etc) made an interesting post I jus noticed though, but its way over my head with regard to how dynos work, so needs some expert commentary, or maybe Sheady or someone to reply on there...

It's worth noting the results for ROd's engine come from an engine dyno where you can hold the RPM until the boost rises. Unless you hold it on the brakes you're not going to see those torque levels at 4500rpm with normal driving.

Basically saying its working as a transbrake, and just like a transbrake you get tons more spoolup, and i mean tons, than you would normally. Wether thats true or not, dunno, i dont have a clue about dynos.

Then Robbie from R.I.P.S. (ie legendary NZ Skyline tuner replied with...

I was thinking there'd have to be something like that going on but didn't want to start anything.

I think it would be a pretty safe bet to say that if he drove along in 4th gear at 4000rpm and nailed it, not alot would happen for quite some time.
Rob

Does Sheady or someone wanna reply on there to explain? I know fook all about dynos to know what the trusth is.

Its all well and good saying go to 4k and not a lot would happen for quite a while most likely not but FUCK either wait till 4.4k or drop a gear and this like a sledge hammer,
Experts got to love them a power run at 4.4k on the dyno will only take a couple of seconds to biuld the boost then nearly 600ftlb or so this would be the same as flooring it at 4.4k in 4th and waiting for the boost to biuld again this will only take a couple of seconds and guess what 600ftlb happens,
Try in 3rd yes it will take a couple of seconds to boost and wont reach full boost due to load for another couple of hundred but guess what 5k over 600ftlb happens,
Try the same in second and guess what it prob wont come on boost till 6k guess what yes again nearly 600ftlb,
So take a look at the graph use the gears correctly and you have access to 600ftlb when ever you want,
Stav not digging at you only the observers at may not be making the correct statements,
This is no 300hp T3 engine and wont have the responce lower down but Fuck will it go if you use the revs,
What other havent noticed this is a true split pulse diveded housing turbo when you drive a Twin scroll you never go back.

Mark
Old 08-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ha Ha a so called expert take a look at my reply this is no T3 engine and yours is no better,
I think no need for your reply do I come on your threads and make replies maybe I should start.

Mark
Old 08-08-2008, 03:08 PM
dumped
Advanced PassionFord User

If you are not going to measure stable "brake" horse power on the dyno what are you going to measure.... "slightly braked more like in a car in 2nd gear" hp ? or what?
Old 08-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If you are not going to measure stable "brake" horse power on the dyno what are you going to measure.... "slightly braked more like in a car in 2nd gear" hp ? or what?

You can run a 300 or 600rpm per sec load program, Then at what rpm do you start it 2k 3k 4k because each rpm with have a diff transisonal responce i.e time to boost this will be better at 4k than 2k due to the shaft speed of the turbo, and then how long do hold the inital load before you let the program run.

Mark
Old 08-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Shead
Ha Ha a so called expert take a look at my reply this is no T3 engine and yours is no better,
I think no need for your reply do I come on your threads and make replies maybe I should start.

Mark
At what point in my reply to Stav did I say you had loaded it up? I don't fully understand when you say mine is no better, what does that mean... No better than what?

You are entitled to make comments on my threads (it's a public board), btw this thread isn't yours it was started by Dave!

Wrong time of the month Mark?

Last edited by Martin-Hadland; 08-08-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:36 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

dave who ?
Old 08-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Luca
Lukesville

Originally Posted by carlo
dave who ?

Well Carlo,

Once upon a time there was a lovely Blue Escos..................
Old 08-08-2008, 03:38 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 08-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by m4dyeti
Well Carlo,

Once upon a time there was a lovely Blue Escos..................
Delicious, sounds yummy
Old 08-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

At what point in my reply to Stav did I say you had loaded it up? I don't fully understand when you say mine is no better, what does that mean... No better than what?

You are entitled to make comments on my threads (it's a public board), btw this thread isn't yours it was started by Dave!

Wrong time of the month Mark?

Wait till someone makes a comment then you can add a replynice work try to make a comment without accualy having to say it then adding on to someone else comment,
Maybe you should have said this before someone else did Oh sorry that would be tuna wars,
Maybe I will do the indirect comments ,
I think my reply on the stav bit jsut about puts the correct point across.

Mark
Old 08-08-2008, 04:12 PM
dumped

Originally Posted by Mark Shead
You can run a 300 or 600rpm per sec load program, Then at what rpm do you start it 2k 3k 4k because each rpm with have a diff transisonal responce i.e time to boost this will be better at 4k than 2k due to the shaft speed of the turbo, and then how long do hold the inital load before you let the program run.

Mark
So is anything apples for apples as one superflow used by one person may still give different readings to one used by another. And the letters TUV mean nothing to me before mike starts lol!!!!!!

For an interesting point when you are next on the dyno (if you have not already done this) could you log an engine at static points like you do when mapping and then take a few logs with the different variables/ramp rates like above when doing power runs - all on the same map/settings/engine temps. I would really like to see the differences to see if they are significant or not, purely out of curiosity.

Would be nice to see the graphs back to back.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Chip

So is anything apples for apples as one superflow used by one person may still give different readings to one used by another. And the letters TUV mean nothing to me before mike starts lol!!!!!!

For an interesting point when you are next on the dyno (if you have not already done this) could you log an engine at static points like you do when mapping and then take a few logs with the different variables/ramp rates like above when doing power runs - all on the same map/settings/engine temps. I would really like to see the differences to see if they are significant or not, purely out of curiosity.

Would be nice to see the graphs back to back.

If its at points where on his power runs it makes the required boost pressure, then it will not be any different anyway, its only when you gain boost that it makes any difference really.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:29 PM
dumped

fair point as if the boost is there so must be the load? Unlike when rollers are slagged for not offering enough to see the boost people are experiencing on the road.

Still interested, I like graphs lol
Old 08-08-2008, 06:01 PM
mk3cosworth
BANNED
BANNED

sorry pal i thought you did, fook me when you do your mods and every did fit nos it would be sumit else lol
Old 08-08-2008, 07:48 PM
SillyFezzaMk1
Rubber Rhino Crew

Stavros that is the most mental launch i've ever seen!

Dan
Old 08-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

FUCKINGHELL @ launch!!!!
Old 08-08-2008, 07:53 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by SillyFezzaMk1
Stavros that is the most mental launch i've ever seen!

Dan
Aye, shit like that almost made me get a race autobox just for the fun and games you can have with the transbrake!

Quick Reply: Mad Rod back at the dyno today