General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Went to Carphone Warehouse today....

Search this Thread

Old 16-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Went to Carphone Warehouse today....

...To play with the new iPhone

Didn't buy one - think it's a great bit of kit, but not worth hundreds of pounds

But I thought I'd put a stock one through it's paces if I could. Fortunatey the store I was in had wifi available, and SIM's in them to test the 3G. Oddly, the 3G websurfing was actually better than the wifi It's much faster than the 3G on my N73 (but then, I think my N73 is 3G whereas the iPhone is 3.5G HSDPA)

It's faster than the previous model too - Safari is a joy to use, it was good on the last model, but even nicer on this one. Camera actually takes decent pics, and it seems faster scrolling through the photo's and music than the 1st Gen phone was....

I think I would definitely have one if I could get one for a decent price - would have to be less than £100 tho. Then I'd need to jailbreak it to run on T-Mobile and install enough apps to allow me to send and ecieve MMS and read Microsoft Office files (I couldn't see it in the standard apps, so don't know if this does it as standard?)

Must admit tho, it FEELS cheaper than the 1st Gen iPhone - the metal back makes it feel like it has better build quality over the the new version's plastic back, although the new one IS lighter. Oh and te speakers phone is better on the new one too

Anyone get me verison 2.0 for under £100 without having to sign up to o2?

LET THE SLATING COMMENCE
Old 16-07-2008, 08:12 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tight cunt, 100 pounds for a phone like that is not really that much...l got mine for free

Mike
Old 16-07-2008, 08:14 PM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
It's faster than the previous model too - Safari is a joy to use, it was good on the last model, but even nicer on this one. Camera actually takes decent pics, and it seems faster scrolling through the photo's and music than the 1st Gen phone was....

Must admit tho, it FEELS cheaper than the 1st Gen iPhone - the metal back makes it feel like it has better build quality over the the new version's plastic back, although the new one IS lighter. Oh and te speakers phone is better on the new one too

Anyone get me verison 2.0 for under £100 without having to sign up to o2?

LET THE SLATING COMMENCE
Agree with the cheaper comments but disagree that it's faster than the earlier one for scrolling through pics or music, it's the same. The camera is also identical. The v2.0 software update on the older phone makes them the same in regards to apps and features, only difference is the 3g and gps.

The screen on the earlier model is also slightly better.

I had both at the same time and the older phone feels better quality and the screen res and colour/contrast is better. Without doubt in my mind the old phone would last longer, I'm tempted to sell my 3G one now and go back to the early phone (especially as I have no 3G coverage in a large town in Kent FFS!) I can't even get 3G anywhere I spend any time (home, work etc)

As for the prices I'd say you'll be ok soon as carphonehoarhouse announced the price for PAYG on the new phone at £299 on their website the other night.. then took it back down. The price on them is going to come down fast 2nd hand when this happens.

Last edited by jameswrx; 16-07-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 16-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

I know the camera is identical, but I've never taken a pic on the 1st Gen phone. And I do think that the phone is faster in operation since the firware upgrade - as do many many other people that have used both, so I am not alone.

I think I'd probably be inclined to have the first one on version 2.0 firmware, but I do get 3G - even out in the sticks where I live - and the main reason I didn't get the first one was becuase of the lack of 3G connectivity on it....
Old 16-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Mike, did you sign up to a contract tho? I don't want an o2 contract! If you know where to get one for free without a contract I'll give YOU £100 for it!
Old 16-07-2008, 08:31 PM
collierm
MP for K.I.S.S

Pwnage team has already cracked the v2 firmware so getting an unlocked one is no big deal. I agree the first gen feels a better built piece of equipment. Not so fussed about 3G out here, wireless is bloody everywhere so its no big deal.

Never actually played with one in anger, but quite looking forward to getting my hands on a 1st gen in 2 weeks time.
Old 16-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

I find a lot of wifi when out and about in Nth London, but a lot of it locked, and I don't find much when I go further out into the edge of London bordering Essex.... So 3G would be fairly important for me, as I use that now to check emails on the go (via T-Mobile Picture messaging that works through 3G)

Trending Topics

Old 17-07-2008, 01:48 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I have a contract with riduculous monthly bills so get one free on up grade,

however the fuckers are making me wait for it so may well end up getting another Blackberry Pearl,

Mike
Old 17-07-2008, 02:50 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

I'll give you a ton for it
Old 17-07-2008, 02:54 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

My contract is up and cant find a phone I like!

The new Samsung I900 is due out next month though and supposed to be up there with the iphone.

Looks a great bit of kit so think I might well wait for that but becoming impatient!
Old 17-07-2008, 03:25 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

erh how does no grab you, l sold my last Blackberry for alot more than that on ebay, but fancy one of these if O2 pull there finger out there arse,

Mike
Old 17-07-2008, 03:36 PM
DaveJB
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

get a HTC phone and put an I-phone interface on it. Better phones, better technology, better features

I've got a HTC Touch Cruise and it's lovely
Old 17-07-2008, 03:38 PM
alan12112
Focus St mk2 310 bhp :D

I must go and play one of these and see how well they bounce

Joking aside I would like to have a go with one, is the UI any better/different than the 1st one?

It was good the 1st one but not good enough to justify getting a phone without basic functions like video* and the ability to recieve stuff via bluetooth? Or can you do the bluetooth stuff now? I know you can connect to other devices (E.g a handsfree kit) but can you send songs and pictures and videos over BT? I did see the fact that you couldn't send pic messages as a downside aswell but I now understand there is an app for this so thats good news!

*awaits an ass raping of the fanboys cos I mentioned it doesn't have a video cam

Last edited by alan12112; 17-07-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 17-07-2008, 03:47 PM
McGoo 69
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tight cunt 100 is dirt cheap for what you get! i got the 16gb version 2months ago (old one) and paid £350 for it wish i knew the new one was comeing out as if i want to upgrade i have to give them a extra 60quid or so even though the price has dropped!

gutted, think i will be upgrading though!
Old 17-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

I know it's a bargain at £100 1) but I can't afford anymore than that, 2) I don't think that £350 is a good price for one, and 3) I haven't spend a penny on a phone in the last 8yrs, so £100 is a stretch for a phone IMO... I know this is more than "just a phone", but thats not the point
Old 17-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Its a case of "if you dont ask, you dont get!"

tho in Thrushs case he asked and didnt get

Tho it works now and then, and you end up with a bargin