General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

More questions - brake pump motor on Escos

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 01:38 PM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More questions - brake pump motor on Escos

It's me once again. Ca problems flooding on me so I have more question. I hope you people can stand it.

My electric brake booster pump is working and stopping to work and all the time. When you puch the multiplug that powers the electric motor with a finger the whole assembly moves and it stops working, when moved the other way it resumes operation. I wonder what could happen and how do I fix it. I do have service manual so I can disassemble the whole thing and try to put it back together - schould I be aware of something that is not in the manual? Is there anything complicated in it? Do they behave like mine often? It's pretty unusuall machine this brake booster so I'm (and my mechanic) little afraid of working on it but it looks like I don't have much choice - any suggestions?

Sorry for so much SPAM on forums recently but it seams like my Cossie falling apart :-(
Old 02-11-2004, 01:45 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

The only thing I know with this is that you must have a turbo heat shield, or the heat will damage this pump.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:46 PM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by St3V3_C
The only thing I know with this is that you must have a turbo heat shield, or the heat will damage this pump.
My car is LHD!
Old 02-11-2004, 02:17 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

only thing i would say is be very careful of the pressure that can be stored in the accumulator - but that should be covered by the manual.

only thing i can imagine why the pump should run all the time would be the pressure switch or a weak accumulator.

it's no problem to me Azrael if you keep posting about your problems. as long as replies with solutions are posted, it could benefit others who have the problem. may be better posted in the tech forums though, although as we all know they don't get as much exposure.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:35 PM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
only thing i would say is be very careful of the pressure that can be stored in the accumulator - but that should be covered by the manual.
It is.

only thing i can imagine why the pump should run all the time would be the pressure switch or a weak accumulator.
I think I didn't express what I wanted to say correctly. The pressure switch works fine and accumulator keeps pressure just fine. It's only that motor stops working when you move it with finger and the same happens of corse on bumps on the road. Yesterday I had a really nasty situation when I run out of hydraulic pressure :-/

it's no problem to me Azrael if you keep posting about your problems. as long as replies with solutions are posted, it could benefit others who have the problem. may be better posted in the tech forums though, although as we all know they don't get as much exposure.

I just feel so dump this days. Everything brakes and I run out of ideas all the time.
I post here because more people read main forum so I hope to get more answers. I schould do that I know but can't help it as it costs me a lot on nerves, moneyandtime to run this car and I really need it to be running fine at last soon. It cann onlybe a few weeks but after two years I just need it to be all right for at least some time.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:37 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Azrael
My car is LHD!
So don't worry about that then
Old 02-11-2004, 02:43 PM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

So don't worry about that then

There are some advantages of not living in UK... speeding, driving on the right side... but nobody can repair your Cossie :-(
Old 02-11-2004, 03:02 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

ok azrael, fully understand now

i suppose that it can only be a bad connection either in the multiplug on the cable, between the 2 due to corrosion or a bent pin or something, or on the motor side somehow.

can you try another motor from another car? i guess that it does not have to be an esc cos as many fords seem to have the same motor and abs system, particularly scorpio's and late model sierra's. i don't know if they're common in poland?

anyway, i hope that you get it repaired. it's not nice to have a car with problems, particularly brake problems

as i say, i don't mind where you post, and i would do the same if i were you unless warned not to by the moderators.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:10 PM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ok azrael, fully understand now

i suppose that it can only be a bad connection either in the multiplug on the cable, between the 2 due to corrosion or a bent pin or something, or on the motor side somehow.
It seams like something wrong with the waythe motor is mounted - when I hold it with one hand and move cables with other it works just fine.

can you try another motor from another car? i guess that it does not have to be an esc cos as many fords seem to have the same motor and abs system, particularly scorpio's and late model sierra's. i don't know if they're common in poland?
I don't have access to parts from another FOrd. If I knew what wasbroken I can look - which models exactly schould fit? Normal Sierra or Scorpio?

anyway, i hope that you get it repaired. it's not nice to have a car with problems, particularly brake problems
My car has had problems with everything since I bought it... I am kind of loosing faith every few months after 10 new things fail.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:39 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

It seams like something wrong with the waythe motor is mounted - when I hold it with one hand and move cables with other it works just fine.
i can't see how that can be, unless it is the connection inside the unit between the fixed multiplug and the motor itself. i don't know if there's anything in between that could be giving a bad connection, like a thermo cut out or anything. does it say anything in the manual?

don't have access to parts from another FOrd. If I knew what wasbroken I can look - which models exactly schould fit? Normal Sierra or Scorpio?
yes, any of those models with the same style of teves abs unit.

maybe it's better to first dismantle yours and look inside?
Old 02-11-2004, 03:42 PM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i can't see how that can be, unless it is the connection inside the unit between the fixed multiplug and the motor itself. i don't know if there's anything in between that could be giving a bad connection, like a thermo cut out or anything. does it say anything in the manual?
The manual does not say anything about dismantling hyndraulic pump and motor - will have to try on our own.

don't have access to parts from another FOrd. If I knew what wasbroken I can look - which models exactly schould fit? Normal Sierra or Scorpio?
yes, any of those models with the same style of teves abs unit.

maybe it's better to first dismantle yours and look inside?

Will do - first I check what's wrong, then start looking for parts. So many people in UK run pedal boxes that there have to be second hand assisted brakes parts.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:47 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

that's true, but the rhd abs units are different from lhd as the valve block is seperate. this probably doesn't affect the parts that you are talking about though.

to be honest, a lot of scorpios are now of the age where they are being scrapped in germany. it shouldn't be too difficult to get one from there and it's much closer and cheaper than england and you've both got the euro.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:53 PM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

to be honest, a lot of scorpios are now of the age where they are being scrapped in germany. it shouldn't be too difficult to get one from there and it's much closer and cheaper than england and you've both got the euro.

Probably yes. I just don't know too many people in Germany and don't speak German that well. Anyway if it's from any Scorpio I can probably just get one here. But I do hope I don't need to. Maybe it's just some assembly problem. This car has been taken apart a few times and somebody could brake something at one time.