General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

police matter help?

Search this Thread

Old 15-07-2008, 06:46 PM
smerth54
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation police matter help?

right one om my mates last night got threaten to have his car taken off him because he hasn't declared his mods on his car do the police have power to do this? because i thought that if you had a crash they just wouldn't pay out for it he has only got the car lowered and an exhaust and an air filter?
Old 15-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

technically he not insured without declared mods, and they can take away an uninsured car.

how did they know he hadnt declared mods?
Old 15-07-2008, 06:49 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I believe like Steve says that all mods must be declared on the insurance if not the car is not technically insured correctly there fore not road legal,

Mike
Old 15-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

as steve says,,,,, but also HOW do they know as it wont show ?
Old 15-07-2008, 06:53 PM
smerth54

they said that he hasnt told his insurance company that its not standard. and they radioed through and found out that way, it was traffic btw
Old 15-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

well wether they knew or not, they didnt take his car, and he hasnt declared em, so he needs to thnk himself lucky and quickly declare the fuckers before it happens again
Old 15-07-2008, 06:55 PM
ebit
Who?

Plod have phoned the insurance company and checked when I've been stopped, that's one of the reasons I'm leaving the teg stock looking.

Trending Topics

Old 15-07-2008, 06:56 PM
smerth54

yea he tried declaring his mods cos his insurance is due in a few weeks and hes been getting silly quotes would it be better if he got insured then told them?
Old 15-07-2008, 06:57 PM
fish99
Advanced PassionFord User

Im pretty sure that our database states whether modified or not, or another way of doing it is speaking to the insurance companies police liason officer. The cut and short of it is yes they do have power to remove vehicle.
Old 15-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Metpol- does it say exactly what mods, or just modified?
Ginge !
just finding my feet

they will only call the insurance IF they need to confirm

though why is it worth the risk,,, ive JUST got my car back from the pound 2 weeks ago for no insurance,,,, and trust me its a arse ache AND im legal !!!
MATCOS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by smerth54
yea he tried declaring his mods cos his insurance is due in a few weeks and hes been getting silly quotes would it be better if he got insured then told them?
No it wouldn't sorry
Old 15-07-2008, 06:59 PM
smerth54

so if he declared a few bits then it would just cum up modified and be ok?
Old 15-07-2008, 07:00 PM
ebit
Who?

so if he declared a few bits then it would just cum up modified and be ok?
Unless they phone & check exactly what's listed.
Old 15-07-2008, 07:01 PM
smerth54

Originally Posted by ebit
Unless they phone & check exactly what's listed.
oh rite i see
Old 15-07-2008, 07:01 PM
fish99

Mate I cant go into the ins and out of the database as its not the bob budget one listed on the internerd... all I would say is list EVERYTHING with the insurance company...wink wink
Old 15-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

I guess from the police view he is not insured technically??

i do wonder how they knew without ringing the insurance company??

i know my adrian flux stuff doesnt say what mods is covered on the paper work despite me double checking on phone and getting them to list mods covered. they refused to confirm it in writing though! mmmmm
Old 15-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

If you can't insure it don't build it.
Old 15-07-2008, 07:04 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

then hes gonna have to go back to standard,,,,,,,, he AINT insured,, thats the point

when i bought my scoobie i THEN got the insurance sorted,,,, the insurance is over a grand a year for me,, even though my bmw is 330 quid a year, i paied it to be insured ( still got me car taken off me though anyway the bastards )

he WILL get it taken off him THEN a vosa check done and he car WONT be handed back UNTILL its insured proper anyway,,,, so hes just gonna end up paying it in the long run
Old 15-07-2008, 07:06 PM
fish99

The thing is when it comes to insurance the insurance company will try and do anything not to pay out in the event of a claim. A lot of people spend some big bucks on motors so I dont really see the point on scrimping a few quid not being properly insured. If you smash your motor up or it goes missing we all would like a fair price for what the motor is worth.

Its almost as bad as not declaring point.. in the eyes of the law thats obtaining a pecuniary advantage
Old 15-07-2008, 07:07 PM
CRAIG HAYTER
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Rob V
Fucking hate threads like this
boil my fucking blood
if u aint got the money to insure a mod'd car then dont fucking mod it
simple as that
i agree but the police are fucking hippocrate scum bastards they get away with loads of shite hope all goes well for your m8
Old 15-07-2008, 07:08 PM
fish99

Originally Posted by CRAIG HAYTER
i agree but the police are fucking hippocrate scum bastards they get away with loads of shite hope all goes well for your m8
so how are we hippocrates? Thats an interesting opinion you have
Old 15-07-2008, 07:09 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Metpol
in the eyes of the law thats obtaining a pecuniary advantage

the that still count EVEN IF I AINT GOT A CLUE WHAT IT MEANS pmsl
Old 15-07-2008, 07:09 PM
mercury grey minter
PassionFord Post Troll

What is classed as a mod?
If my car comes from the factory with alloy wheels and i change them for different alloys,is this classed as a mod?
Old 15-07-2008, 07:10 PM
AlexRS2782
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

At the end of the day if the car is modded then it should be insured as such with the mods declared - Your mate has modded his car & not notified insurers so legally the car is not insured properly & therefore the police have the right to take the car - sadly loads of people do this & i'm sure there are others on here that do or have done it in the past themselves but either way your mate is the unfortunate one in this case who has been caught

I would also say that if the police have called the insurers to check the insurance status then is this now not held on his insurance file so whenever he applies for insurance it will show?

Re Adrian Flux - they do not your mods on your paperwork they will list it on your insurance cover as mods "covered like for like" or something along those lines, but believe me they DO keep a record of all the mods you've done to your car based on the modification list you have to compete or if you submit a full tech sheet to them they keep this on file
Old 15-07-2008, 07:11 PM
CRAIG HAYTER
BANNED
BANNED

The thing is when it comes to insurance the insurance company will try and do anything not to pay out in the event of a claim. A lot of people spend some big bucks on motors so I dont really see the point on scrimping a few quid not being properly insured. If you smash your motor up or it goes missing we all would like a fair price for what the motor is worth.

Its almost as bad as not declaring point.. in the eyes of the law thats obtaining a pecuniary advantage
your defo the police or you know someone in the police half way up there arse by the the sounds of it aswell ok the boy did not declare when he should of but insurance is sky high and when the younger ones just want to have a couple of there own touches to there car they get hammered its not like he has bolted a turbo onto it and nos etc etc an air filter he would be lucky to gain 2bhp fucks sake stop being such a woosey
Old 15-07-2008, 07:13 PM
fish99

easiest way I can say is obtaining monetray gain by commiting a deceiving act... Basically say you had one conviction on your licence for drinky drive but when you insure your car you say you have a clean licence..the insurance comapny insure you as the vicar you appear to be.. you have deceived the insurance company and in effect you have a reduced premium... pecuniary advantage
Old 15-07-2008, 07:13 PM
AlexRS2782

Originally Posted by mercury grey minter
What is classed as a mod?
If my car comes from the factory with alloy wheels and i change them for different alloys,is this classed as a mod?
Anything not standard fitment to the vehicle as per Adrian Flux when i got my policy for my FRS - therefore if you change alloys your changing the appearance of the car hence a visual mod - same as if you change from airbox to induction kit as a performance mod

In my experience though if the car had alloys as standard most insurers wont increase the premium though if you chose to fit an aftermarket set but you should still notify of the relevant change, etc
Old 15-07-2008, 07:14 PM
mercury grey minter
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Rob V
Would have thought it would be classed as a mod as it's not as how it left the factory

The reason i ask is that iv'e got FOCUS 1.8 GHIA,53 reg.Iv'e made it into an ST170 REPLICA which just means swapping the fog lamps and wheels.Now my car from factory came with ALLOYS & FOG LAMPS and it still has alloys & fog lamps so can't see the difference.If i put a bigger engine in then i'd expect to pay more on my premium.
Old 15-07-2008, 07:15 PM
CRAIG HAYTER
BANNED
BANNED

easiest way I can say is obtaining monetray gain by commiting a deceiving act... Basically say you had one conviction on your licence for drinky drive but when you insure your car you say you have a clean licence..the insurance comapny insure you as the vicar you appear to be.. you have deceived the insurance company and in effect you have a reduced premium... pecuniary advantage
ok that point is true but a fkn air filter come on as i said it would not even be 2 bhp insurance is the biggest scam in the world
Old 15-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

your defo the police or you know someone in the police half way up there arse by the the sounds of it aswell ok the boy did not declare when he should of but insurance is sky high and when the younger ones just want to have a couple of there own touches to there car they get hammered its not like he has bolted a turbo onto it and nos etc etc an air filter he would be lucky to gain 2bhp fucks sake stop being such a woosey
i think thats a little unfair,, hes just telling the TRUTH, hes not up any arse at all,, infact hes prob one of the few old bill i dont mind !!!

telling the truth aint wrong is it ???

question i dont get is what about people who fit HD springs for caravans or tow bars ect,,, technically WHAT is a mod ???

loads of cars have some sort of mod that aint mentioned on insurance,,,, just the kids are gonna get done for it out of predudice to young people by the police
Old 15-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexRS2782
Re Adrian Flux - they do not your mods on your paperwork they will list it on your insurance cover as mods "covered like for like" or something along those lines, but believe me they DO keep a record of all the mods you've done to your car based on the modification list you have to compete or if you submit a full tech sheet to them they keep this on file
Maybe im being paranoid, but I like to have all insurance policy specifics in paper to cover myself so im a bit pissed off that they wont provide this!!! I just think that without it in paper whats to stop them "accidentally" loosing the information on mods and only paying up for standard bits??!!
Old 15-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

ok that point is true but a fkn air filter come on as i said it would not even be 2 bhp insurance is the biggest scam in the world

its ment to be to help the risk assesment of the driver,, someone fitting a air filter is MORE likley to have a crash where hes at fault i would guess

also most shitters with filters on it are fucked motors clinging onto a mot

i think you should get a discount if your car is regularly maintained by a garage and have a bi annual service intervel,,, but then insurance aint REALLY about risk of the car,, just how can they get as much money as possible HENCE theres never REAL discounts just higher premuims THEN lowered
Old 15-07-2008, 07:22 PM
AlexRS2782

Sorry but if "younger ones", as you put it, are struggling to insure their car as standard then why are they bolting on mods if they cant afford to pay for the relevant increase in insurance

Same attitude as the little 17 y/o twat whose just passed his test & lives in the same road as me - he bolted every possible Ripspeed aftermarket stick on thing, exhaust back box that virtually drags on the road, filter, neons, etc, etc & then spends 30 mins wingeing & whining in public to his mummy & daddy, so the whole road can hear, that its not fair the police have just followed him home & are going to be fining him & maybe giving him points for not declaring his mods when he is blatantly in the wrong
Old 15-07-2008, 07:24 PM
CRAIG HAYTER
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Ginge !
i think thats a little unfair,, hes just telling the TRUTH, hes not up any arse at all,, infact hes prob one of the few old bill i dont mind !!!

telling the truth aint wrong is it ???

question i dont get is what about people who fit HD springs for caravans or tow bars ect,,, technically WHAT is a mod ???

loads of cars have some sort of mod that aint mentioned on insurance,,,, just the kids are gonna get done for it out of predudice to young people by the police
the truth is well up where i stay all they do is bother all the young ones in cars well its better there are out having fun in cars insted of fighting,stabbing,robbing peole and shops!but for a silly thing like an air filter they could have said"right son take your car home and insure it with the mods and come back and show us with in the next couple of days"but no because they think they are above the law i know a traffic guy he's alright but flys about like fk in his car and does not get done....way not because they get away with murder

Quick Reply: police matter help?