General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

So.. Anyone got the new IPhone yet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So.. Anyone got the new IPhone yet?

Old 11-07-2008, 07:18 PM
andyt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

why waste your money on that pile of shit
Old 11-07-2008, 07:21 PM
rsnissan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by andyt
why waste your money on that pile of shit
do you not like yours then?
Old 11-07-2008, 07:22 PM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, couldn't get it going for a while (as itunes was pretty snarled up)

Jus updating my old one first, then onto the new one!
Old 11-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

I want one! But ain't paying the money they want for it!

Plus, even tho it's better than the last one, with it's 3G and HSDPA connectivity, it STILL can't send MMS messages (what the hell is the point of having a phone with a camera on it if you can't text the pics?), STILL doesn't have Java support (which means a lot of web pages etc won't work) and STILL has Bluetooth file sending issues (as in, you can't send anything to anyone via bluetooth!)

So now waiting to see what version 3.0 will hold
Old 11-07-2008, 07:23 PM
andyt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by rsnissan
do you not like yours then?

not got one mate, just dont see the point in spending all that money on a phone
Old 11-07-2008, 07:25 PM
rsnissan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by andyt
not got one mate, just dont see the point in spending all that money on a phone

oh right.......

Trending Topics

Old 11-07-2008, 07:25 PM
rsnissan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by jameswrx
Yes, couldn't get it going for a while (as itunes was pretty snarled up)

Jus updating my old one first, then onto the new one!
let us know how you get on mate

and how different it is to the original one after you have used it for a while
Old 11-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Munch
Mr. Sparkle!

my mate told me it didnt even have blue tooth?
Old 11-07-2008, 07:36 PM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

When you've lived with a iphone for a while picking up another phone just doesn't cut it.

The java problem hardly raises it's head and I can't think of a time I've been annoyed when browsing the net. It's the nicest web browsing phone I've used without a doubt.

Also just the look of the screen on any other phone out there is just depressing when you see how vibrant and crisp the iphone is. I was on mine watching topgear on the iplayer the other day, superb layout, awesome picture etc.. wouldn't get that on your blackberry.

Honestly the MMS thing is a small price to pay.

Plus ofcoarse the ipod part.. I never had an ipod before the iphone and now I've slipped about 50+ albums onto the phone, it's superb. I have the dock at work connected to my stereo and it sits there on suffle playing all my tunes. When someone rings the music goes off and the phone part comes alive.

Just playing with the touch screen is enough to keep you amused for a while, the way it flicks through the album covers depending on how you swipe accross the screen.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:43 PM
rsnissan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I have an MMS app for mine (jailbroken phone though) so shouls be something along for the new one soon.......
Old 11-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you STILL cant send mms?? not even on the new one?
Old 11-07-2008, 07:52 PM
steves24V's
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think some people are so sad when it comes to phones, my misses works for O2 and she got to work at 6.30 am to get ready for the early opening and they had 10 or so people out side waiting just to get a phone and one of them had been there since 5.30 am Haven't these people got something better to do a 5.30 in the morning like sleeping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Lee1
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by Thrush
I want one! But ain't paying the money they want for it!

Plus, even tho it's better than the last one, with it's 3G and HSDPA connectivity, it STILL can't send MMS messages (what the hell is the point of having a phone with a camera on it if you can't text the pics?), STILL doesn't have Java support (which means a lot of web pages etc won't work) and STILL has Bluetooth file sending issues (as in, you can't send anything to anyone via bluetooth!)

So now waiting to see what version 3.0 will hold

someone told me theres a guy on ebay thats selling them for Ł210 unlocked.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:11 PM
truthordare
Omnomnomnom

Yep, got one, its garbage.

Debs
Old 11-07-2008, 08:16 PM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

My brother got his one yesterday, he was one of the saddo's lining up here in sydney at 5 in the morning to get his, not had a proper look at his yet, but so far it does seem to do the business.
i surpose the mms is a bit poor, but then again you can always email it from the phone
think im going to look at trying to get one this weekend if i can ( still have some in stock ) as i only got home here last night
Old 11-07-2008, 08:43 PM
Andreas
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Been a palm user for many years now and since they are 3 times cheaper its hard to justify a change. They aint as flashy but does the job and comes with a keyboard.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Mancunian Lee
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Ive got the old one and couldnt live without it now, for me it was either Iphone or Blackberry and i made the right choice. I used to carry my phone and Ipod everywhere, now i only have to carry the one item - woot

Some people just dont get the Iphone and never will, its taking mobile phones in a different direction and a lot of people wont like it.

Instant, easy and free access to my email and text conversations make it worth it for me, not got the 3G yet, im gunna wait till i get to play with one in a shop before commiting because it might not be worth me upgrading.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by maria
you cant natively, but there are 3rd party apps that do this..

Old 11-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Mancunian Lee
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

link me up to an app mate, didnt know you could do that.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:13 PM
focuschivvy

i had the n95 and lost it, so i got the iphone. at first i thought the iphone was a pile of shite, now a few months down the line, i think in knocks spots off the n95! mines jailbroken, and the goodies on it are quality! web browsing pisses all over the n95!
Old 11-07-2008, 09:18 PM
rsnissan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

have you tired ifartz
Old 11-07-2008, 09:29 PM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Ok, well my 3g is running...

The old one is deffinately better quality!

Without doubt the old phone is more solid feeling in the hand and the screen quality is better on the old phone too. The colour/contrast is not right on the new 3g phone. I've got both running next to eachother with the exact same pictures etc and the pics look better on the old phone. I also noticed when I first turned it on that there was more pixelation on large writing etc and it doesn't look as quality when you're typing and the letters pop up.

I updated my old phone first and have most of the free apps on there and to be honest at the moment it feels like they've cheapened the 3g phone a lot. There's deffinately a more quality' feel to the older one in the hand plus the screen looks better.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:45 PM
rsnissan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

They did cut back on the new one to make it cheeper i read somewhere
Old 11-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Munch
Mr. Sparkle!

Originally Posted by maria

sounds like a expenive piece of shit to me lol
Old 11-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

i need GPS for my job, and like having everything in one as a handheld

looks like im stopping with my n95 with tomtom

Old 11-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by jameswrx
Ok, well my 3g is running...

The old one is deffinately better quality!

Without doubt the old phone is more solid feeling in the hand and the screen quality is better on the old phone too. The colour/contrast is not right on the new 3g phone. I've got both running next to eachother with the exact same pictures etc and the pics look better on the old phone. I also noticed when I first turned it on that there was more pixelation on large writing etc and it doesn't look as quality when you're typing and the letters pop up.

I updated my old phone first and have most of the free apps on there and to be honest at the moment it feels like they've cheapened the 3g phone a lot. There's deffinately a more quality' feel to the older one in the hand plus the screen looks better.
Cheers for your input mate, much appreciated
Old 11-07-2008, 10:05 PM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

I think the new one will come into it's own when people keep writing better apps to exploit the GPS and 3g.

If you didn't have an old iphone running next to the new one you'd be none the wiser, but I must say I'm a really picky fecker for detail like that. I can't say I've seen another phone that looks as good as the new 3g iphone screen quality wise but it's deffinately a step back from the old one in that respect.

I've yet to play with the GPS thing but presume it's going to work with google maps etc.

The 3g should be handy though as most of the time I couldn't get an Edge connection anywhere on the old phone!

One thing I do love about these phones is when you sync them with the PC and they just take all your info you need. Once itunes had un-snarled itself from the whole world trying to log on I docked the new phone and it sucked all the info from my itunes of my old phone. First time I fired it up all my contacts were there correct, all my pictures (even the wallpaper was the same) all my email addresses, internet bookmarks from my laptop, 50+ music albums, podcasts, etc etc all there all working.. amazing really! it even had the info from the last time I was on itunes (on my old phone) still in the search, all my youtube bookmarks and search info. The whole setup and content of the phone was identical and I had 2 phones running next to eachother that looked identical.

Last edited by jameswrx; 11-07-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:35 AM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

I wanted a Blackberry but after looking at them the ones that have a camera has no wifi and the one with wifi has other stuff missing. Doesn't have to be the worlds best camera but one just in case you need it and wifi is a must for me. They look good though. Currently I'm back on my old Ipaq 6915 pocket pc phone, has less colours than an N95 screen but its proper and none of this smart phone shit. Tomtom, mp3 player, WMP, Skype, Msn, IE, word, excel, email, camera, touch screen with stylus, cursor, blue tooth, phone, text, mms and has a proper keyboard at the bottom so you blitz through texts.

Just waiting to get hold of one of the Ipaq 900's and similar as that does all that ^ and more, is more update and looks like a Blackberry, a proper all in one device. Still need to sell Ebay my N95 was a great phone but predictive text, many letters per button and a few other things are too slow.

Last edited by skeg; 12-07-2008 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:18 AM
lardypants
Banned

does this mean the older iphones are cheapernow?

i desperatly need a new phone might buy one of ebay or similar
Old 12-07-2008, 10:44 AM
FletchCossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Lardypants, I was gonna ask the same. My upgrade is in October, will they still be supplying the old phone do ya reckon and will it be cheaper?? Or can I get one now cheap somewhere??
Old 12-07-2008, 10:44 AM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

on it now . Still trying to work out how to use it
Old 12-07-2008, 10:59 AM
focuschivvy

have you tired ifartz
if thats the one with a piccie of an old bloke holding his nose then i think i have
Old 12-07-2008, 11:04 AM
rsnissan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by focuschivvy
if thats the one with a piccie of an old bloke holding his nose then i think i have

Soooo immature but i had it hooked up to the car stereo with the windows down at Le Mans.........almost crashed i was pissing my self so much
Old 12-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

Getting a 1st gen IPhone on Monday for billy bargain price

Spoke to a guy in the O2 shop today, the 8GB IPhone 3G will be available on PAYG for 300 in a few months, so will wait for that and get it.

I did a deal with my N95, and need satnav for work. Although I have a bluetooth gps receiver, I dont think there is any way as yet to get any satnav programs for it, so may have to go pick up a tomtom one or something.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

The problem with it is, it's not so much what it does, or doesn't do, it's HOW it does it. After playing with plenty of phones, smart phones, and hand held PC type phones, like the XDA's, the Ipaq's, the countless Windows Mobile smart phones etc, I just personally feel nothing comes close to how well the iPhone operates. It's OS is just a JOY a use, it's navigation etc is just typical Apple - smooth as silk, and the whole thing can be summed up with the un-official Apple tagline of "It just Works"

Of course, therein lies the problem. It's geared up for the Apple world! It's designed for the Macheads that all have imacs and macbooks, and all use itunes, and have Apple TV, and use the Airport Extreme/Express, and Time Capsule etc... Which is mainly the American domestic market. The domestic market in the UK is ruled by Microsoft, and whilst I personally feel it is still a great tool, it just doesn't gel as nicely with Windows as it does with OSX! Put simply - you plug it into a Windows PC and it doesn't work - it needs drivers, software, etc. With a mac, you don't even NEED to plug it in - before you know it, it's wirelessly connected and all working as it should be!

Apple products are fantastic. The simplicity of design, the intergration of their product family to one another, the ease of userbility... Yet for some reason I STILL find myself with hree Windows computers! The only Apple product I have is my iPod, and much as I would love an iTouch, untill they make versions capable of holding 60gb, I won't have one....

So I don't need an iPhone as a music player. And I don't need it as a movie player (who wants to watch films on a screen that tiny? And i drive all day so not like I am sitting on a train for long periods) All I need from a phone is : to be able to make calls. To recieve them. To send and recieve text messages. To send and recieve picture messages. To get online when mobile, for web pages, gmail, etc etc. And the rest is just a toy - another "cool" gadget to play with and show off.

And as such I can't justify hundreds of pounds on something to use as a toy! I'd love to, but I can't! With a few more tweaks and apps, the iPhone is probably EXACTLY the phone I have been looking for.... But I just can't justify shelling out for one! I won't be using it as a business tool, or an iPod, so I'd still be carrying the phone AND my iPod. And with it's camera, I'd still be carrying my digi camera around aswell (which to be fair I do now with my Nokia as I haven't seen a phone yet that takes pictures as good as a real camera - even the N95's 5MP camera isn't a patch on my shonky 2.1MP Canon, and my 5MP camera blows it out the water and onto the next planet!)

So it's superb, it's a marvel of technology - but it still isn't quite there yet.....
Old 12-07-2008, 09:21 PM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

Old 12-07-2008, 09:23 PM
focuschivvy

Originally Posted by Thrush
The problem with it is, it's not so much what it does, or doesn't do, it's HOW it does it. After playing with plenty of phones, smart phones, and hand held PC type phones, like the XDA's, the Ipaq's, the countless Windows Mobile smart phones etc, I just personally feel nothing comes close to how well the iPhone operates. It's OS is just a JOY a use, it's navigation etc is just typical Apple - smooth as silk, and the whole thing can be summed up with the un-official Apple tagline of "It just Works"

Of course, therein lies the problem. It's geared up for the Apple world! It's designed for the Macheads that all have imacs and macbooks, and all use itunes, and have Apple TV, and use the Airport Extreme/Express, and Time Capsule etc... Which is mainly the American domestic market. The domestic market in the UK is ruled by Microsoft, and whilst I personally feel it is still a great tool, it just doesn't gel as nicely with Windows as it does with OSX! Put simply - you plug it into a Windows PC and it doesn't work - it needs drivers, software, etc. With a mac, you don't even NEED to plug it in - before you know it, it's wirelessly connected and all working as it should be!

Apple products are fantastic. The simplicity of design, the intergration of their product family to one another, the ease of userbility... Yet for some reason I STILL find myself with hree Windows computers! The only Apple product I have is my iPod, and much as I would love an iTouch, untill they make versions capable of holding 60gb, I won't have one....

So I don't need an iPhone as a music player. And I don't need it as a movie player (who wants to watch films on a screen that tiny? And i drive all day so not like I am sitting on a train for long periods) All I need from a phone is : to be able to make calls. To recieve them. To send and recieve text messages. To send and recieve picture messages. To get online when mobile, for web pages, gmail, etc etc. And the rest is just a toy - another "cool" gadget to play with and show off.

And as such I can't justify hundreds of pounds on something to use as a toy! I'd love to, but I can't! With a few more tweaks and apps, the iPhone is probably EXACTLY the phone I have been looking for.... But I just can't justify shelling out for one! I won't be using it as a business tool, or an iPod, so I'd still be carrying the phone AND my iPod. And with it's camera, I'd still be carrying my digi camera around aswell (which to be fair I do now with my Nokia as I haven't seen a phone yet that takes pictures as good as a real camera - even the N95's 5MP camera isn't a patch on my shonky 2.1MP Canon, and my 5MP camera blows it out the water and onto the next planet!)

So it's superb, it's a marvel of technology - but it still isn't quite there yet.....
Old 12-07-2008, 09:24 PM
focuschivvy

Soooo immature but i had it hooked up to the car stereo with the windows down at Le Mans.........almost crashed i was pissing my self so much

pmsl

Quick Reply: So.. Anyone got the new IPhone yet?