General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Fear of flying

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 08:08 PM
dickycox
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fear of flying

Has any one on here got a fear of flying,i have flown since i was 4 years old and have lost count how many times iv been on a plane.But have only been up about 4 times in the last 8 years,so i drove to france this year cant see me going on a plane again it just stresses me out .
Old 06-07-2008, 08:11 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, I'm terrified. The take off, the landing, the turbulance. Have ended up in tears on take off as i hate it that much

I get very stressy in the airport too.

And they always seem to manage to give me a seat looking out onto the wing
Old 06-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Mark B
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by Cossie Helen
Yep, I'm terrified. The take off, the landing, the turbulance. Have ended up in tears on take off as i hate it that much

I get very stressy in the airport too.

And they always seem to manage to give me a seat looking out onto the wing
thats the best place, youll be the first to know when the wing falls off...
Old 06-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Mark B
thats the best place, youll be the first to know when the wing falls off...

I would not like to be the first one to know the wing had fallen off
Old 06-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Always amazes me that people get scared of travelling on the safest form of transport by miles, yet drive like cocks in their cars
Old 06-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
Always amazes me that people get scared of travelling on the safest form of transport by miles, yet drive like cocks in their cars

You saying i drive like a "cock" in my car ?
Old 06-07-2008, 08:31 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

not sure!will let u know after i have flown for the first time in august

Trending Topics

Old 06-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

You saying i drive like a "cock" in my car ?

You saying i said you drove like a cock?
dickycox

Iget stressed to and it screws up the hol for me we have 3 little girls to and i worry about them i just dont like it full stop.
orion_crazy_carl
orion=mini saff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im terrified of flying,just the thought of it makes me shiver!!!!you say about it being safe and more chance of dieing in a car crash,its different, if i crash,i was in control, in a plane, your just a lump of meat in a seat
Old 06-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

You saying i said you drove like a cock?

Was just asking
Old 06-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Was just asking
I know you were
Old 06-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by orion_crazy_carl
im terrified of flying,just the thought of it makes me shiver!!!!you say about it being safe and more chance of dieing in a car crash,its different, if i crash,i was in control, in a plane, your just a lump of meat in a seat
Lol @ lump of meat
Old 06-07-2008, 08:40 PM
truthordare
Omnomnomnom

I love flying, I'm more excited about the flight than the holiday!!!

Debs
Old 06-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

I know you were

Wish i had not now
Old 06-07-2008, 08:41 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i heard take off is suppose to be the bollocks?just like driving the cossie with the surge of power?
Old 06-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Wish i had not now

Why?
Old 06-07-2008, 08:44 PM
orion_crazy_carl
orion=mini saff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mechanic28
i heard take off is suppose to be the bollocks?just like driving the cossie with the surge of power?
it didnt feel that special the last plane i went on,must of been on low boost
Old 06-07-2008, 08:45 PM
truthordare
Omnomnomnom

Originally Posted by mechanic28
Its better X1000! You are just sat trundling along and all of a sudden, whoooosh, then you are in the air,actual flight is a bit tame as you hardly feel like you are moving but take off and landing is awesome!!!

Debs
Old 06-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

I'm okay taking off, and the flying part is fine...

Landing on the other hand.... Not my cup of rum matey boy.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:52 PM
bad boy rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I hate flying with passion yet ive been dragged on loads of long haul flights went to spain last week on a four day bender for my mates stag do, there was 18 of and i was shitting it, all my mates where taking the piss especially when i told my mate on the window seat to pull the blind down, the air hostess came round and told him to open it, i said why ? she replied because i want to be the first person to see the engine if it blows up, all i could do was order another stella and hold tight
Old 06-07-2008, 08:53 PM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

Think I have posted this before, a few years back.

I didnt fly until I was 16 and went on a week trip to Spain with my parents. Never liked heights or looking down so wasnt keen. Had a bumpy ride back into Bournemouth and it put me off for years. I used to go up to Heathrow and walk around, imagine what it would be like to go to far flung places like the US, Australia etc. Did this quite a few times and paid more in parking than petrol!

I met a girl in 2001 and just booked a ticket to Australia, went to Heathrow and got straight on the plane, by myself. Didnt even think about the problem that had dogged me for years. I then took a further 2 smaller plane flights (still 200 seaters) in Australia and was fine.

This was all 7 years ago. I counted only 2 days ago, I have now taken in excess of 50 flights. I now live in Australia and travel to Sydney for work from Melbourne regularly.

I am currently in the US on holiday also.

I still don't like flying, I get nervous before it and dont always sleep too well (have a flight in 12 hours ironically!). Take off, I love but a hard boosting car is far greater pull than a 747. Don't mind landing either but the only thing that scares me is turbulence of which I have been through a fair bit. Most was just ripples though.

In summary, don't worry about it, just do it. If I hadnt met that girl, I could be 50 and going to Heathrow wondering what it would be like. I missed a few good lads holidays but luckily that was it.

Sorry for the ramble but hope it works out and just go with a confident flyer if you aren't sure. Airport staff, stewards etc are all there to help you.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:17 PM
dickycox

Originally Posted by saff_cossie
Think I have posted this before, a few years back.

I didnt fly until I was 16 and went on a week trip to Spain with my parents. Never liked heights or looking down so wasnt keen. Had a bumpy ride back into Bournemouth and it put me off for years. I used to go up to Heathrow and walk around, imagine what it would be like to go to far flung places like the US, Australia etc. Did this quite a few times and paid more in parking than petrol!

I met a girl in 2001 and just booked a ticket to Australia, went to Heathrow and got straight on the plane, by myself. Didnt even think about the problem that had dogged me for years. I then took a further 2 smaller plane flights (still 200 seaters) in Australia and was fine.

This was all 7 years ago. I counted only 2 days ago, I have now taken in excess of 50 flights. I now live in Australia and travel to Sydney for work from Melbourne regularly.

I am currently in the US on holiday also.

I still don't like flying, I get nervous before it and dont always sleep too well (have a flight in 12 hours ironically!). Take off, I love but a hard boosting car is far greater pull than a 747. Don't mind landing either but the only thing that scares me is turbulence of which I have been through a fair bit. Most was just ripples though.

In summary, don't worry about it, just do it. If I hadnt met that girl, I could be 50 and going to Heathrow wondering what it would be like. I missed a few good lads holidays but luckily that was it.

Sorry for the ramble but hope it works out and just go with a confident flyer if you aren't sure. Airport staff, stewards etc are all there to help you.
Thanks for the reply its not the heights that get me its the fear of being out of control ant trapped if any thing gos tits up.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:38 PM
panelbeater
PassionFord Regular

i'd never flown before, i booked a half hour lesson in a helicopter for my 30th that was awsome but a bit scary at times. then i had an hour lesson in a cesna for my 35th that was bumpy but fun, then 3 months ago i was heading for oz, no big deal was good taking off and landing. the best thing to do is look at the stewards if they look worried then you know its not going well
Old 06-07-2008, 09:40 PM
panelbeater
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by dickycox
Thanks for the reply its not the heights that get me its the fear of being out of control ant trapped if any thing gos tits up.
if i goes wrong it goes wrong, unfortunatly life doesn't have an opt out clause so you can pick and choose
Old 06-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I am not frightened of flying it's crashing that frightens me lol
Old 06-07-2008, 09:48 PM
gaz s1

Ive flown loads of times to usa etc when i was younger and thought nothing of it till a couple of years ago when i went on holiday to majorca and just shit it.
Didnt sleep for a couple of weeks before, shat myself on the flight there, spent the whole two weeks worrying about the flight home and kissed the flloor when i finally landed back in england.
Really weird as i was fine before this but have not flown since.
If i go on holidays i just drive abroad now as if i had to fly again it would just ruin my holiday.
Just thinking about flying sends me cold now and i cant really explain why proper strange
Old 06-07-2008, 10:13 PM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

BTW - Forgot to add, its not heights that bother me (just went up the Rockefeler in NYC and been up the Rialto and Eureka towers in Melbourne), I have a more bizzare fear, falling. Looking down from heights is great but until I started flying, I realised my fear wasnt heights but falling. That is why I dont like turbulence as it feels like that.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:58 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Go and book an hours lesson at your local flying school, understanding how it all works will give you a massive confidence boost, and realize that if you do suffer engine failure etc that you won't just plunge out of the skys. Modern aircraft are unbelivably reliable, and have 4-5 back up systems for each major component. Structural failure inflight is nearly unheard of, so don't worry. I used to be scared of flying, now I have a Private pilots licence and love every second, I still get a bit nervous before flying on the big jets, but only in a silly way, and as soon as we are rolling down the runway I have a big silly grin slapped across my face
Old 07-07-2008, 07:24 AM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

If you look around the cabin when the plane lands I don't think there is anyone who does not let out a sigh of relief.

For me the moment the plane leaves the tarmac til the moment it touches down again I'm on edge, the reason for that is because if anything goes wrong ya dead plane and simple

That's not a spelling mistake its a pun

Luciano
Old 07-07-2008, 07:29 AM
alan12112
Focus St mk2 310 bhp :D

I don't get why alot of people say i'm scared of flying whan they haven't been in a plane!! WTF??

Plus I have bene flying all my life and i've landed at Manchester once with the undercarrige on fire!! Now that was fun! I've also flown through thunderstorms on my way back from America (you could see the lightening through the window as it was lower down than the plane)

IMO flying is great
Old 07-07-2008, 07:41 AM
godzilla
BANNED
BANNED

I take Diazepam or Xanax before a flight. Had a horrific experiance in America in 1998 when the plane literally just fell out of the sky. I was going from LA to Vegas on an internal flight. They use 737's, like our EasyJet's. All the oxgen masks came down, people screaming, being sick, etc. Since then I do 15mg of diazepam 1 hour before a flight. The Dr's doont like prescibing diazepam so 2 years ago when i was in Thailand I bought 200 10mg tabs as they are legal to buy there..... result!! I also bought 50 Xanax tabs as they are legal there too....... the ultimate tablet if you want to chill! I took a Xanax 1 hour before the flight the other month when I was fighting in Thailand, it was ace!
Old 07-07-2008, 09:45 AM
panelbeater
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by saff_cossie
BTW - Forgot to add, its not heights that bother me (just went up the Rockefeler in NYC and been up the Rialto and Eureka towers in Melbourne), I have a more bizzare fear, falling. Looking down from heights is great but until I started flying, I realised my fear wasnt heights but falling. That is why I dont like turbulence as it feels like that.
the eureka tower is ace been up a few times, day and night. did you do "the edge"
Old 16-07-2008, 10:40 AM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by panelbeater
the eureka tower is ace been up a few times, day and night. did you do "the edge"
Sorry just saw this, didnt do the edge, looks good but not for me at the moment
Old 16-07-2008, 10:45 AM
topaz
1K+ Super Poster!!

try being on a plane in a severe thunderstorm and the plane goes into a vertical dive !!!!

everyone was screaming and shouting and the oxygen masks deployed !!!!

Last edited by topaz; 16-07-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old 16-07-2008, 10:50 AM
alistairolsen

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by orion_crazy_carl
no, if you crash, then you werent in control :P

how many people who dont like planes will get on high speed trains? FOOOOOK that! 80+mph, half a mile to stop (well beyond what the driver can see) and NO chance of changing course whatsoever, something goes wrong, you die just like a plane

Last edited by alistairolsen; 16-07-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old 16-07-2008, 10:57 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

I fooking love it! Only flown 4 times (twice to New York, twice back again) and I think it's fucking magic!

The surge as it launchs down the runway, the weird feeling as it lifts into the air (bit like when you go fast over a hump bridge in a car), and the excitement and anticipation of watching the tarmac comes rushing towards you when landing

The bit in between is fucking boring as shit I almost WANT a bit of turbulance just to let you know you are actually moving A descent and climb or a good hard bank would be nice
Old 16-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Jade1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I quitye like flying, i think in the past couple of times i have flew i have tried to make myself believe i was scared, i get more scared about taking off then landing.

I actually liked it when there was a bit of turbulance as well just made it a bit exciting.

But got to demolish ALL fears now, i've just found out im one step closer to becoming a air hostess for Qantas Airlines
Old 16-07-2008, 11:30 AM
arch

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I love flying, went on a light aircraft over the Grand Canyon, awesome, it was so turbulent. Wife hated it!!

For those scared of flying do not scroll down!

For those not scared of flying, I read somewhere that if you flew as often as you drove you are MORE likely to die in an accident. Stats are lower only because we use aircraft less freequently.
Old 16-07-2008, 11:38 AM
alistairolsen

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

depends what you mean fella, its done by passenger mile, so a 200 seater aircraft doing 500 miles incident free is 100000 passenger miles, I havent doen that many since I passed my test!

if you got on a plane every time you got in a car and so did it by number of journeys one man takes the stats would be different

you can prove anything you want with statistics, its all a matter of viewpoint

Quick Reply: Fear of flying