General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

DOGS > Tail docking?

Search this Thread

Old 23-06-2008 | 06:48 PM
rabmc
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Exclamation DOGS > Tail docking?

Had boxers through as a child etc, and got my own place now and going to get another but it looks strange to me with the tail rather than he short stubby docked tail

Breeder told me this is the way it is now and is ilegal to dock tails these days?, so will all dogs now have the full tail i take it. why though its been done forever it seems, but if it hurts them its best to leave it out but the breeder told me that when born its that small and the dont even feel it?

anyway cant wait to get the pup home , 2.5 weeks till i collect him
Old 23-06-2008 | 06:53 PM
B16JUS
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

i think you can still get pups from ireland with the tails docked

J
Old 23-06-2008 | 06:56 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

A touchy subject this. I say leave it how it should be, its just not right chopping things off animals purely for cosmetic purposes in my opinion.
Old 23-06-2008 | 06:57 PM
rabmc
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Im not getting the dog for looks but its more the fact they are not the most nimble of dogs and i feel it will be flying alover the place lol, but to be fair when i seen the pup the other day it looked quite happy wagging its little tail, why do these stupid rules just seem to come up out of no where, pisses me right off, i suppose its just what you are used too as its the same dog underneath
Old 23-06-2008 | 06:58 PM
cabrio zo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

From: Sudbury Suffolk, Drives: Octavia VRS & XR2i 1800 Zetec track car

They can still be docked but the veterinarian needs certificates and proof that it will be a working dog, if these pups are then sold on as pets the breeder can get into a lot of trouble, personally I see no reason for a pet to be docked, the law came into force for the welfare of the dogs (the poor pups that have died as a result of breeders/owners trying to dock their own pups is appalling)

Z

Last edited by cabrio zo; 23-06-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 23-06-2008 | 06:59 PM
Nicole
PassionFord Post Troll

It is illegal to dock tails yes. And also very cruel. Dogs use their tails for balance and agility. Hence dogs without tails run alot slower and are more clumsy....

People still have their dogs tails docked so there must be people out there that still do it. It's a vanity thing and pathetic if you ask me!!

As for it not hurting the dog.....thats just rubbish. Of course it's hurts them! If you stand on a dogs tail does it yelp?

I would imagine it's like cutting your finger off, you can manage without it but you would rather have it as it makes life easier!
Old 23-06-2008 | 07:00 PM
Farmer Giles
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

If it's a proper working dog then you can still get the tail docked by a vet but if it's just a pet then, as already stated, can't be done (legally).

edit..

too slow again... LOL..

Trending Topics

Old 23-06-2008 | 07:01 PM
rabmc
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yes nicole

But i was told at say 2 wks its really like cutting say a bit skin and 99% of pups dont even yelp, anyway in 5 years or so when its more common to see the tails on them no one will remember the docked tails, why only certain dogs got docked tails?>
Old 23-06-2008 | 07:02 PM
bigpower
PassionFord Post Troll

You still can get them in Ireland IIRC, but we all need to get used to the tail thing!

Get some pics up when you get him!

Here's Bentley, now aged 3

and the day we bought him!

It pisses me of that in America etc they make there ears stand up, dock tails etc etc, but here in the EU they make it illegal to dock! These breedshave always been this way and its how we know them. Its been proven that they cant feel it, crist WE get cut when where born.

I know the ''docked'' breeds are now going down the BOBTAIL route, but it will be years and years until they can be classed a PEDIGREE.

I'm very passionate about this law and so are a lot of breeders i spoke to at crufts!

RANT over...................

Last edited by bigpower; 23-06-2008 at 07:07 PM.
Old 23-06-2008 | 07:04 PM
carfixz
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

i have 2 boxers, both came with docked tails, my friend has a 6 month old boxer with a tail, and its like a fookin whip
Old 23-06-2008 | 07:08 PM
RC4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

they dont "cut them off"
they use an elastic band and eventually,after a short period the tail drops off,causing no discomfort to the pup!
the procedure has to be done within 3 days of birth
a local fella to me used to do dobermanns,rotts and boxers,and if he wasnt a dog lover god knows who is!!!
Old 23-06-2008 | 07:09 PM
Spammage
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by S1rst
A touchy subject this. I say leave it how it should be, its just not right chopping things off animals purely for cosmetic purposes in my opinion.
an extract from yahoo answers

"Tail docking in a round about way has it's reasons rooted in the dogs health. The primary reason is that Boxers have a long history of being used as hunting dogs even though they're in the working dog class. Tail docking (along with ear cropping)clent itself so the dog's chance of injuries would be minimized when in contact with wild animals. The Boxer comes from the ancient line of bullenbeisser( german 5th century, literally bull biter) Thse dogs were used to hunt wild bear, boar and bulls. The dogs would drag the prey to the ground by the neck and hold it for the hunter to dispatch the prey with a lance or spear. You can well imagine the violent nature of this as the prey animal was literally fighting for it's life and injuries in the form of torn ears and other fleshy appendages (tails) were common from flailing horns hoofs and teeth. The entry into the working aspects also occurred at this time, during the german revolution. As the German aristocracy abandoned the dogs the local butcher found it's natural and trained talents invauable in holding down larger animals for slaughter. This point in time is most likely where the boxer entered into the human household.

Just for the record there are two acceptable lenghts of tail docking for boxers. The standard where a nickel sized coin is held width wise to the anus for determining the lenght(resultingin that stubby little tail) and whats known as "show cut" which gives the dog a tail about 3 1/2 to 4 inches in length. Docking is usually done before their eyes open and is painless and trauma free for the dog A natural length Boxer tail is very strong and weighty. It will most certainly hurt when you get struck by it."
Old 23-06-2008 | 07:09 PM
Nicole
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by rabmc
Yes nicole

But i was told at say 2 wks its really like cutting say a bit skin and 99% of pups dont even yelp, anyway in 5 years or so when its more common to see the tails on them no one will remember the docked tails, why only certain dogs got docked tails?>
Hmm i have seen this done and they do yelp! Alot and there is alot of blood and it takes a while to heal! Dogs are very resilliant and will adapt to having no tail. I just think it's cruel and not needed other than for appearance!

At the end of the day the dog needs it's tail for everyday life, so why remove it? It's not just some annoying piece of skin, its a practical tool that they use every day of their lives!

It's just my opinion, but you need to hear both sides if you are considering getting this done.
Old 23-06-2008 | 07:12 PM
rabmc
PassionFord Post Whore!!

bigpower

Hes minted hes the spitting image of my old dog (topper)

Really sad mate, the pup im buying basically the mum had 8 pups but the were 1 week or so premature and she had to be sectioned to save her, by 2 weeks 7 of them died except (winston) thats what we are naming him, we seen him the other day and hes amazing, hes a red male, black muzzle with a bit of white on chest, really lively as hes just pottering around on his own now, we really want it home but as its only just 6 weeks now we need to wait

Last edited by rabmc; 23-06-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old 23-06-2008 | 07:14 PM
Nicole
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by RC4
they dont "cut them off"
they use an elastic band and eventually,after a short period the tail drops off,causing no discomfort to the pup!
the procedure has to be done within 3 days of birth
a local fella to me used to do dobermanns,rotts and boxers,and if he wasnt a dog lover god knows who is!!!
Some breeders do cut them off. But the method of stopping the circulation as you have said above also hurts. And they are not all done within 3 days of birth as you would like to believe.....
Old 23-06-2008 | 07:16 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Originally Posted by rabmc
bigpower

Hes the spitting image of my old dog (topper)

Really sad mate, the pup im buying basically the mum had 8 pups but the were 1 week or so premature and she had to be sectioned to save her, by 2 weeks 7 of them died except (winston) thats what we are naming him, we seen him the other day and hes amazing, hes a red male, black muzzle with a bit of white on chest, really lively as hes just pottering around on his own now, we really want it home but as its only just 6 weeks now we need to wait
Crikey, after what he went through to get born in the first place, surely he now just deserves to be left in one piece?!
Old 23-06-2008 | 07:18 PM
S3an
PassionFord Post Troll

i have had boxers for most of my life and when the last one died i said i wouldnt get another because of this tail issue. But i can assure you it does not change their likeability as a breed. i bought a new boxer pup at the backend of last year(it has a tail) and you get use to it and the general oppinion is that they look cool with the tail. honestly mate when you go to look at a boxer pup you wont be leaving puppyless!!

https://passionford.com/forum/showth...ighlight=boxer

Old 23-06-2008 | 07:19 PM
Andy_R
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Rab, Paul rstoughy bought one from Ireland not so long back with its tail docked, heres the link to his thread.... https://passionford.com/forum/showth...ighlight=boxer

Bonny dogs boxers, ive always had a soft spot for them, i just dont know that I could put up with their droolingslavery beasts that they are lol
Old 23-06-2008 | 07:22 PM
S3an
PassionFord Post Troll

https://passionford.com/forum/showth...ighlight=boxer
Old 23-06-2008 | 07:26 PM
rabmc
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ahh man that terrible S3AN

So have you still got the older brindle dog and the little pup now, how old is the pup, he looks like he could get up to some trouble lool
Old 23-06-2008 | 07:31 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Spammage
an extract from yahoo answers

"Tail docking in a round about way has it's reasons rooted in the dogs health. The primary reason is that Boxers have a long history of being used as hunting dogs even though they're in the working dog class. Tail docking (along with ear cropping)clent itself so the dog's chance of injuries would be minimized when in contact with wild animals. The Boxer comes from the ancient line of bullenbeisser( german 5th century, literally bull biter) Thse dogs were used to hunt wild bear, boar and bulls. The dogs would drag the prey to the ground by the neck and hold it for the hunter to dispatch the prey with a lance or spear. You can well imagine the violent nature of this as the prey animal was literally fighting for it's life and injuries in the form of torn ears and other fleshy appendages (tails) were common from flailing horns hoofs and teeth. The entry into the working aspects also occurred at this time, during the german revolution. As the German aristocracy abandoned the dogs the local butcher found it's natural and trained talents invauable in holding down larger animals for slaughter. This point in time is most likely where the boxer entered into the human household."
I understand the reasons for it often done to working dogs, but for a pet, its just not right imo. Whether it hurts or not is not the issue imo. Its an animal, and they are what they are.

Leave the modifications for cars and the hollywood freaks instead.