General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Any Guitar Players MARSHALL v PEAVY amps

Search this Thread

Old 20-06-2008, 05:54 PM
B16JUS
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Guitar Players MARSHALL v PEAVY amps

which is better i fancy a marshall but not sure if your just paying for the name ?

J
Old 20-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not a guitar player myself but my farther inlaw is ( used to play in a band called TENPOLE TUDAR) quite well know, he has a MARSHALL but allways complains about the weight of it. he swears by mesaboogie amps altough they are pricey
Old 20-06-2008, 06:28 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

i've got a line 6 spider 111................does a lot and has lots (00's) of presets that match band sounds......and uses all the best amp sounds as a base setting that can be tweeked to ur taste...............
Old 21-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Mesa amps are the FUCKING BOLLOCKS, but very VERY expensive - even the "cheap" ones are fucking dear! But they do make some of the best valve amps you will ever hear! The 2x12" combo Rectifier "Rect-O-Verb" series are just fucking insane - for a 50w amp they outperform most 150-200w amps!

I have a little 30w Marshall, 1x10" solid state "Valvestate" emulating amp, which is okay but the distortion/gain on it is horrible so I got a Line6 Tone Core pedal for it which makes it bearable. Marshall amps are great, but their biggest problem is lack of low end. Even with a 2x12" valve driven amp, they just have no bottom end at all and on their won sound incredibly tinny...

I did borrow an older 1x12" Valvestate2000 AVT50 from a friend, which had a lower ohmage driver in it which helped with giving it some low end beef, but still, it's no match for a Mesa...

Line6 amps are very cool for the bedroom player - loads of funky and cool effects, but I dislike them on principal due to the 100% digital nature of them - they just aren't clean and pure enough really... But they are fun to fuck around with - was playing with one in my mates shop a while back - stuck the delay and reverb on full, put an INSANE ammount of gain on it and pulled some wicked harmonic dropbombs and pullups from it

Likewise, for solidstate crunch and sheer "scream", Randall amps have it covered, but have to be solidstate and not valve driven. Think Dimebag Darrell style - he used solidstate Randall's - and you get those awesome highpitched super-gain screams!

As for weight - most Mesa's outweigh Marshall equivelents - the 2x12" Rectifier combo comes with wheels on it as standard FFS Heavy heavy amps, but totally worth it!
Old 21-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuck that

Get yourself some quality Matamp Orange or Green equipment (Both exactley the same, just a different trade name and colour) - absolutely superb, I speak from personal experience here - there is nothing in this world that can replicate the superb tone and accoustics of a pure GT120 Valve Amp - the sound of KT88 valves cannot be beat IMHO

Yes, I used to work there when I was 17 building amplifiers, cabs, combo's - you name it we made it

All hand built and hard wired - THE way to go.

Last edited by Graceland; 21-06-2008 at 11:21 AM.
Old 21-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

I'm not a fan of Orange. Power? yes. Crunch? yes? Tone? Not my cup of tea... Fairly flat and one dimensional really (IMO)

It's all about the Mesa

Old 21-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

If I only had the spare cash!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mesa-Boogie-Re...d=p3286.c0.m14

Trending Topics

Old 21-06-2008, 12:05 PM
sexr3i
isn't it

You need to try a few at the volume you're gona play em at to see what suits your style and sounds good to you. My mates got a 70's marshall valve amp that he loves but you need to really crank it. When you do it sounds like it's trying to turn itself inside out with the punch it's got. I don't like playing thru it though as it's a bit trebly for my tastes and does my head in after a bit.
I've got a more modern VOX with a valve pre-amp and like a master to turn the actual speaker down so you can get the powerfull tone without making your ears bleed. But again, when you crank it it sound the absolute tits due to the "real" feedback coming thru. It has emulators for classic VOX boutique amps, 4x10's, 60's, 70's, 80's and modern overdrives so you can compete with/compliment anyone elses gear. Has a control on it for reverb, chorus etc too which fills out the sound no end. Great general purpose amp for a wide variety of sounds but if you're into one particular style it probly does more shit you don't need than shit you do.
Old 21-06-2008, 12:41 PM
matt p
PassionFord Post Troll

I love playing my guitar!!!

On Guitar hero 3 rock on baby!