General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Escos Hit And Run :(

Search this Thread

Old 17-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Elvis
Hunka Hunka Burning Love

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Escos Hit And Run :(

Some stupid bint hit the back of the escos at the gym today whilst my wife was waiting in the car,

Basicly Its fooked, and the woman shouted in my wife and drove off.
Got her red, gym has cctv footage, but i think its a member of gym staff, and seem not to want to give me a copy of the footage,

reported to the police, so maybe the will get it,
But by law do the gym have to give me a copy if i request it?

Last edited by Elvis; 18-06-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 17-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Munch
Mr. Sparkle!

shit news

how bad is the damage?

hope you get somewhere with the Police & the footage!
Old 17-06-2008, 09:37 PM
rssteve
Advanced PassionFord User

not sure on the cctv but as they are a business they must display a sign with a phone number for someone in charge of it. maby they have not paid the data protection act fees or maby the cameras are fake? Providing you say you seen her actually hit it, they will hopefully visit her and see the damage. get round there quick.
Old 17-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Turbo Zetec
Engine Machinist

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

as far as i know, you can request a copy of any cctv footage that you appear on by law... so may be worth trying that
Old 17-06-2008, 10:19 PM
luke89
Team HOTHOT!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go back to the gym the same time and day just a week on .. mite be in luck with finding them ?? shit luck tho
Old 17-06-2008, 10:34 PM
Elvis
Hunka Hunka Burning Love

they played me the footage, im going back tomorrow and speak to the manager, As my wife was injured, the Police seem very interested at the point.
Old 17-06-2008, 10:50 PM
Roosie
500bhp Cosworth in making

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

i pm`d u about her injury lets sting him for everything

Trending Topics

Old 17-06-2008, 10:58 PM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Elvis
they played me the footage, im going back tomorrow and speak to the manager, As my wife was injured, the Police seem very interested at the point.
i bet they are if you fuck off they will find you.if they can

IT IS ILLEGAL IF YOU CAUSED THE ACCIDENT OR IF YOU ARE DIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE PERSON OR PERSONS INJURED IN THE ACCIDENT

6 points
Old 17-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Data protection act 1982 says that you can legally request any data a company may hold on you- this included CCTV footage.

There are time limits which apply before they're breaking the law by not releasing it.

They are entitled to charge for the data and these fees are up to the company to produce.

I doubt you'll have any issues if you're partner was injured- the police will want to get involved I am sure- and if they dont compain the police complaints commission.

Jake
Old 17-06-2008, 11:43 PM
vinnyvangough

Cunts.........
Old 17-06-2008, 11:57 PM
indycos
helooooo!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

spunk swallowers
Old 18-06-2008, 12:35 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

I'd be amazed if the plod want to get involved, as they are such gutless hits these days.
This happens all the time, the info about data protection is spot on, just wish more knew this.
Whilst any employee is on the work premises(car park) they are in law still at work, so GYM can be held liable for thier workers actions if need be, there was test case years ago about this very situation when it was decided.
Get a quote for the damage, wait for the person to turn up to work, as hse gets out snatch her keys off here to her car, take her car, the ONLY thing you have to do is give her a letter informing her you are holding the car in lieu of a debt for the damage to yours.
THIS IS NOT A CRIMINAL OFFENCE IT IS CIVIL, so the plod cannot get involved, though they may try to say they can, stand your ground, they can do NOTHING, you are within your rights, if they choose to get involved they will have to view the footage as evidence, best bit is they will then have no option but to tell her they can't do anything, just watch her face drop as they caution her for your damage.
Give her 7 days to pay, failing which you will sell the car(hers) an pay the repair, the give her the remainder, point out it will not fetch much, probably only enough to cover repair costs.
tabetha
Old 18-06-2008, 12:38 AM
Ryan_3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by tabetha
I'd be amazed if the plod want to get involved, as they are such gutless hits these days.
This happens all the time, the info about data protection is spot on, just wish more knew this.
Whilst any employee is on the work premises(car park) they are in law still at work, so GYM can be held liable for thier workers actions if need be, there was test case years ago about this very situation when it was decided.
Get a quote for the damage, wait for the person to turn up to work, as hse gets out snatch her keys off here to her car, take her car, the ONLY thing you have to do is give her a letter informing her you are holding the car in lieu of a debt for the damage to yours.
THIS IS NOT A CRIMINAL OFFENCE IT IS CIVIL, so the plod cannot get involved, though they may try to say they can, stand your ground, they can do NOTHING, you are within your rights, if they choose to get involved they will have to view the footage as evidence, best bit is they will then have no option but to tell her they can't do anything, just watch her face drop as they caution her for your damage.
Give her 7 days to pay, failing which you will sell the car(hers) an pay the repair, the give her the remainder, point out it will not fetch much, probably only enough to cover repair costs.
tabetha
dangerous mate! she could hit back!
Old 18-06-2008, 12:39 AM
vinnyvangough

tabetha
WOW. Very interesting to know that one!!!
Old 18-06-2008, 12:47 AM
Elvis
Hunka Hunka Burning Love

going to the police station tomorrow at 9am to make a statment,
then going to the gym to speak to the manager, and ask for a copy of the tape.
And his actions will effect if me and 6 people i employ will terminate our membership,

Damage wise, a new rear bumper is needed, tailgate, so far, but will get a proper look in the morning.
Old 18-06-2008, 05:27 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

NO, you need proper quotes from at least two people first, use the most expensive, that way you can pocket the money perfectly legally for doing your own repairs if you want, I've done it in the past so has my dad.
I used to work for debt agencies and the courts as a proper appointed bailiff, nothing above is illegal in anyway, the plod don't like it but it remians a civil matter, it becomes a criminal matter if she hits back(assault) or you can't prove the debt, that is why you NEED quotes and evidence, the debt is also NOT incurred until REFUSAL, wilful or otherwise to pay, that is why you give her time, you could go down the small claims court, but even when you get judgement you would no doubt have to enforce it again more money, even though you are in the right.
I took a 3 day old Jag from a man who owed £670 to myself once, mysteriuously despite being skint and "not being able to pay" he soon found the money!!
tabetha
Old 18-06-2008, 07:08 AM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

going to the police station tomorrow at 9am to make a statment,
then going to the gym to speak to the manager, and ask for a copy of the tape.
And his actions will effect if me and 6 people i employ will terminate our membership,

Damage wise, a new rear bumper is needed, tailgate, so far, but will get a proper look in the morning.

shit news mate. what the hell did she do drive from the other side of the carpark?i was expecting a dink in a quarter till you mentioned injury.
Old 18-06-2008, 07:30 AM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

tabetha
hmm... not convinced!
if places like that are out of police jurisdiction so to speak, now come a friend of mine got points for either dangerous or reckless driving (can't remember which) for fucking about doing donuts and sliding his car in tesco's car park?
Old 18-06-2008, 08:01 AM
dunketh
Chief Iron Oxide Farmer.

The police do cover carparks as they're classed as somewhere the public 'can' access.
If the carpark has a barrier preventing general public access I think you can do what you like. Its a grey area.

Also, the spaces themselves are deemed private so if you do donuts within the confines of the marked bays you're fine. Stray onto the road around them and you fall into the public access trap above. (In reality the police will just nick you anyway, or wait for you to drive out then go over the car with a comb)

Its all very confusing, this is all from an ex police mate of mine and may well have changed or not be 100% accurate anyway. Its a very odd situation.

I'm interested in this particular case in how your wife got injured?
If it was a simple bumper contact how is that possible? Or are you just going in 'guns blazing' to take the other woman for everything shes got?
Old 18-06-2008, 08:18 AM
Rodge.
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure about a lot of this "Data Protection rights" in practice tbh....

My wife was in Morrison's a few months back, came out and someone had driven into her car (A year old Peugeot 206CC) and drove off!

She was understandably gutted, the damage was bad enough for the car to need a new rear quarter panel and door skin. She took it better than I did though, I went ballistic when she phoned me from the shop!

Morrison's would not release the CCTV footage of the incident to anyone other than the police, they quoted "Data Protection". However, the police were not interested in attending as it happened in Morrison's car park! So, predictably, nothing happened, despite me writing to Morrison's head office detailing what had happened (didn't even get the courtesy of a reply!)

Outcome was that the wife had to claim off her OWN insurance to get the car fixed (about £1600 worth of damage)

And probably the worst part of the whole thing was the fact that she was insured with Direct Line - you know the one who proudly advertise on the TV that if you are hit by an uninsured driver, it's won't affect your claim history?
If she had been hit by an uninsured driver (rather than an insured driver who drove off illegally), it would not have affected her insurance!

The repair wasn't that good either tbh (rear quarter). Upshot is that the wife is left with a badly repaired 2 year old car, through no fault of her own

It's a minefield out there - be warned!

Rant over
Old 18-06-2008, 09:01 AM
doctor stavros
AMG C32

Some people are right bastards. I have to park on a busy retail carpark for my work, and theres always people hitting other cars and driving away. I found a football sized dent in my rear quarter once, and looked to my windscreen, expecting to find a 'sorry, heres £20 for the damage letter' but alas there was nothing there...... cunts.....

Another incident involved a big scrape along my rear bumper, again looked to my windscreen, but no cigar

Some people think they own the road, and IT owes them something......
Old 18-06-2008, 09:40 AM
dunketh
Chief Iron Oxide Farmer.

Tap someones bumper and its a several hundred pound bill these days.
New bumper, new mounts, labour, bumper spray, rear panel partial spray to blend in with new bumper paint..etc..etc..

Its no wonder nobody leaves a note. Once the insurers and bodyshop get hold of it you might as well hand them your arse on a plate. (even if it is a simple touch up and cut-in job they'll try it on)

In the old days it'd be a case of finding a new bumper and bolting it on. Job done...Not like these new bumpers that are part of the actual car design.

Last edited by dunketh; 18-06-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 18-06-2008, 10:18 AM
joel_winders
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

only this morning i was in morrisions car park sat in my car on the phone when some old man parked next to me go in his car and flung the door open ! :@ without a care in the world, he didnt see me sat in the drivers seat so i got out had a good rant at him took his details down because theres a little ding in the door !

im going through his insurance to serve people like him right,the damage is only about £20 but im doing it out spite by hopeing his renewel goes up by £100 !

im going say that 90 % of car parks dings / smashes are caused by old people who shouldt be on the road !
Old 18-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Elvis
Hunka Hunka Burning Love

Originally Posted by dunketh
I'm interested in this particular case in how your wife got injured?
If it was a simple bumper contact how is that possible? Or are you just going in 'guns blazing' to take the other woman for everything shes got?
well my wife was sitting in the car with a puppy on her lap,
she was hit at around 20mph my wife was in a car, parked up, and had no seatbelt on as the car was parked, most people would get hurt by this
Old 18-06-2008, 10:55 AM
dunketh
Chief Iron Oxide Farmer.

she was hit at around 20mph my wife was in a car, parked up, and had no seatbelt on as the car was parked, most people would get hurt by this
I thought it was a little tap/scratch. My mistake.
Sod them then, stick it to the bastards,

Its other people claiming for nothing that puts all our premiums up.
Old 18-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Elvis
Hunka Hunka Burning Love

having right shit luck at the moment, Rac damage my mint monte,
and my daily runner escos gets fooked in the carpark,
makes you want to get an old shitter, oh wait it is an old ford pmsl.
Old 18-06-2008, 02:04 PM
andyt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

having right shit luck at the moment, Rac damage my mint monte,
and my daily runner escos gets fooked in the carpark,
makes you want to get an old shitter, oh wait it is an old ford pmsl.

chin up mate, it will get sorted
Old 18-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Elvis
Hunka Hunka Burning Love

i think the gym will give me a copy of the CCTV
and wife made statement today. Looks like the Police might do something for once :O

Informed the insurance, and they said i can take the car where i like for repair, so i am looking for classic car specilist who will sort it out properly and not just put a ton of filler in it and lash it over

Also been on to my solicitor, (have a very good woman i use for anything legal) and she is now sorting things out and chasing things up for me.

The woman is insured, thank god, and think the police will be [paying her a visit as 24hours have past and she has not reported the accident,

Last edited by Elvis; 18-06-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 18-06-2008, 04:36 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Surely is a criminal act, as it's hit and run leaving someone injured; just a little naughty.
Old 18-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Originally Posted by MD Cos
as far as i know, you can request a copy of any cctv footage that you appear on by law... so may be worth trying that
Not always so..

Section 36 of the Data Protection Act states such an exemption

The GYM is allowed a CCTV system installed which monitors persons accessing his premises. It picks up any visitor as soon as they enter the gate and only captures their images whilst they are on gym property.

(a) The Gym is entitled to do this.
(b) The Gym does not need to provide a notice saying that the person is entering a CCTV controlled area.
(c) The Gym is not required to provide a copy of the footage he has captured to the Data Subject if they make a request. However, if that CCTV camera picks up images outside the Gyms premises, such as the entrance to the neighbor's premises or persons walking down the road, then they most certainly have to consider the implications of the Data Protection Act.

If its all gym property they can do it, its worth remembering Gyms are not public places they are privately owned membership clubs

But im glad this gym appears to be behaving reasonably which is great

Last edited by Turbocabbie; 18-06-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old 18-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Adam.
Needs Beer Tokens.....

I have had my fiesta vandalised 4 times!, all because it is nice and shiny,people think it needs 2 have a key down the side to go with it!, Would love 2 catch them in the act
Old 18-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Elvis
Hunka Hunka Burning Love

Getting my loan car too, have a choice.

Saab 9-3 Sport Saloon 1.9 TiD

or

Hyundai Coupe 2.0 SE

Old 18-06-2008, 05:48 PM
focuschivvy

Getting my loan car too, have a choice.

Saab 9-3 Sport Saloon 1.9 TiD

or

Hyundai Coupe 2.0 SE

either are better than a 1.2 corsa like i had!
Old 18-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Roosie

elvis are yougoing to put in a injury claim with us for your wife please let me deal with this git i hate people that dont stop, im a master in doing this
Old 18-06-2008, 05:59 PM
focuschivvy

Originally Posted by Roosie
elvis are yougoing to put in a injury claim with us for your wife please let me deal with this git i hate people that dont stop, im a master in doing this
there goes up everybodys insurance by £10 next year
Old 18-06-2008, 06:30 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by focuschivvy
Wow he must be good if he's getting over £100 million
Old 18-06-2008, 06:42 PM
Roosie

too bloody right they have the cheek to drive away and think they can get away with it. she was left in shock and trauma by the event as it caught her off guard she entitled to claim.

Do you really think if there was no claims insurance would go down?............. not a chance if you believe that you will believe that fuel price will go down
Old 18-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Elvis
Hunka Hunka Burning Love

Originally Posted by Roosie
Sorry dude, I have a solicitor, i have used her for the last 4 years, for work and personal,

she is now sorting things out and chasing things up for me.
Old 18-06-2008, 07:01 PM
Elvis
Hunka Hunka Burning Love

either are better than a 1.2 corsa like i had!
what was your original car though?
the have chrysler crossfires and other stuff for people who bin ferraris etc,

I tried to argue "like for like" a 500bhp cossie does not match a 1.9 diesel saab, and wheres my crossfire, aprrently its engine size etc not bhp they take into concideration.
Old 18-06-2008, 07:39 PM
COMEDY DAN
No1 Blower.

I personally would not like to try this, you will most probably get stabbed this day and age.

Hit and Run is criminal, not civil especialy if someone was injured.

Just take the right route rather than trying some cowboy filmstar vigilante shit.

Last edited by COMEDY DAN; 18-06-2008 at 07:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Escos Hit And Run :(