General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Escos Hit And Run :(

Search this Thread

Old 18-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by tabetha
I'd be amazed if the plod want to get involved, as they are such gutless hits these days.
This happens all the time, the info about data protection is spot on, just wish more knew this.
Whilst any employee is on the work premises(car park) they are in law still at work, so GYM can be held liable for thier workers actions if need be, there was test case years ago about this very situation when it was decided.
Get a quote for the damage, wait for the person to turn up to work, as hse gets out snatch her keys off here to her car, take her car, the ONLY thing you have to do is give her a letter informing her you are holding the car in lieu of a debt for the damage to yours.
THIS IS NOT A CRIMINAL OFFENCE IT IS CIVIL, so the plod cannot get involved, though they may try to say they can, stand your ground, they can do NOTHING, you are within your rights, if they choose to get involved they will have to view the footage as evidence, best bit is they will then have no option but to tell her they can't do anything, just watch her face drop as they caution her for your damage.
Give her 7 days to pay, failing which you will sell the car(hers) an pay the repair, the give her the remainder, point out it will not fetch much, probably only enough to cover repair costs.
tabetha
Excuse my ignorance, but are you a lawyer? Cos if your not, I treat what you've written as I would any pub lawyer talk! No offence like.....
Old 18-06-2008, 07:55 PM
COMEDY DAN
No1 Blower.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL..... Just sell their car to pay for the damage.....
Old 19-06-2008, 07:08 AM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tabetha
Get a quote for the damage, wait for the person to turn up to work, as hse gets out snatch her keys off here to her car, take her car, the ONLY thing you have to do is give her a letter informing her you are holding the car in lieu of a debt for the damage to yours.
If someone snatched my keys the first thing I would do is call the police to report assault, theft and threatening behavior which is illegal.
even if taking an action such as this is legal which im unsure of.
I would not only ask for evidence to support the action or legal documents, I believe bailiffs carry court documents granting the permission to seize goods and as such I expect that it would have to be proved that you have rights to seize goods to the value of.

I would also suggest that until an invoice is produced stating what is owed that I would also be unable to take the appropriate action if desired, not only this but how can the value of goods seized be determined by a estimate, which is not legally binding.
A reputable body shop does not ask customers to pay for work upfront so why should I ?

If in this situation I would also state that as this is a motor vehicle accident I wish to communicate only through my motor vehicle insurance company which is well within my rights unless you are an officer of the law doing an investigation.
I would also ask, if suspected of a hit and run then could I please have the police incident number as its a legal obligation to report accidents in which someone is injured or flees the accident scene without exchanging details.

I fail to see under these circumstances how an officer on the scene would allow you to walk away with the keys

Last edited by Turbocabbie; 19-06-2008 at 07:25 AM.
Old 19-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Elvis
Hunka Hunka Burning Love

Just been sorting my hire car out today,
I told them i want an Auto as the cars they offered me are pony and slow,
so they are delivering a brand spanking new pug 207cc,
so will catch some rays with the roof down,

I really feel like Elvis now, getting a new convertable, PMSL
Old 20-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Elvis
Hunka Hunka Burning Love

Originally Posted by Elvis
Just been sorting my hire car out today,
I told them i want an Auto as the cars they offered me are pony and slow,
so they are delivering a brand spanking new pug 207cc,
so will catch some rays with the roof down,

I really feel like Elvis now, getting a new convertable, PMSL
got delivered this morning, the 207cc is a v.good car, and for an auto shifts too
shame i look gay in it and i keep hitting my head on the windscreen piller getting in and out