General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

OFFICIAL new RS Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by COCHYN
I'm Ford through and through pal, but I'm not naive enough to think they're development work is perfect. If this will have 300bhp and a hell of a lot of torque, then ST style calipers on top of larger discs aren't going to be good enough. Its a dissapointment, Ford have done well recantly in competition, I should think they'd learn from their mistakes with the last Focus RS and spend the money where its needed...
Single piston calipers arent a problem,they work fine if the disks and pads are the right size.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:12 PM
alan12112
Focus St mk2 310 bhp :D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Twellsie
because the one in the picture, isnt a production car, why pay brembo for the use of there products, before you need to?

I would say the actual production cars will have a fair few differences to what you see here

what are you saying twellsie?
Old 04-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The new Focus has 336mm discs, but no mention is made of the callipers, which leads me to think that they are not Brembo or the like, just a large sliding calliper .

They mentioned the seats being top quality Recaros, they mentioned the diff being a Quaife ATB, so you would imagine that if the callipers were worth shouting about, they would have done .

Seems to be all down to budgets and unfortunately the next generation Focus RS won't come with the Volvo engine either, as it costs Ford too much to buy it from them . The next generation Focus RS will have a turbocharged derivative of the I4 engine and has the possibility of being AWD, as the new platform will have this option. They will then produce two prototypes, one AWD, one FWD and will decide if the dynamics are worth the extra to punt with the AWD version. One step forward (AWD) two steps back (I4 engine) .

Typical Ford bean counting .
Old 04-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Some photoshopped colors.

Red.

Benni.

Last edited by Benni; 04-07-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Sliding calipers are fine if properly designed.

Most of you are comparing them to 120,000 mile 15year old rubbish.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

"Fine" and as good as a Brembo / AP calliper are two different things .

The M3/M5 callipers are "fine" on the road, but not up to scratch on track .
Old 04-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
"Fine" and as good as a Brembo / AP calliper are two different things .
Big name brakes are often used as a part of a vehicles marketting Mike. You would be surprised what high performance road cars use sliding calipers to perfectly good effect.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

The M3/M5 callipers are "fine" on the road, but not up to scratch on track .
We arent talking about a track car are we? I though we were talking about a Focus Rs?

As for M series, the M5 brakes are fine on the ring with decent pads. Mine certainly were excellent, and there arent many other cars that can claim they were designed for harder road use than the M5. Its all about designing the system PROPERLY.

Last edited by Stu @ M Developments; 04-07-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Andreas
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Mike, regarding the calipers. If they are shite you could sell a nice upgrade.

I dont really mind if its fwd, I won't get one and if Ford never makes a proper RS again the cossies will still be a unique thing.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:31 PM
rssteve
Advanced PassionFord User

anyone know what i could sell my aRSe for? its still untouched so should be rather tight! Just bought a house too and spending about 50k on modenising and an extension, wish i had left the extension for now :-(
Old 04-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
We arent talking about a track car are we? I though we were talking about a Focus Rs?

As for M series, the M5 brakes are fine on the ring with decent pads. Mine certainly were excellent, and there arent many other cars that can claim they were designed for harder road use than the M5. Its all about designing the system PROPERLY.
If you care to read the marketing blurb, Ford anticipate the car being used on track, as they talk about being able to disengage the traction control fully for this very reason .

Excuse me, but I seem to remember you posting that you spent 1k on new discs and pads for your car and that the discs were already fucked after your Ring trip? In view of this, would you care to edit your above comment ?
Old 04-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

If you care to read the marketing blurb, Ford anticipate the car being used on track, as they talk about being able to disengage the traction control fully for this very reason .

Excuse me, but I seem to remember you posting that you spent 1k on new discs and pads for your car and that the discs were already fucked after your Ring trip? In view of this, would you care to edit your above comment ?
Not at all Mike. The grand was new factory discs and pads for a near 100K mile car prior to teh ring trip. Seems sensible to me.

And whilst the discs did suffer a slight warp on the ring, thats little to do with the calipers and they fixed themselves totally the day after i came back, which is typical of that style of discs. (Steel disk pinned and fused to an alloy hub)

Why are you always looking for an argument?
Old 04-07-2008, 04:50 PM
rssteve

how much are tickets for the londow motor show i have had a look on there website but can't see prices?
Old 04-07-2008, 05:17 PM
RSlew
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Charlie Chalk
Whats with the spunk like stickers?!
i think (altho it dont work to well)

the stickers are to brake up the lines of the car so if u saw it on the street or pics u cant see the shape to well

so when they reveal it it looks better

i think lol
Old 04-07-2008, 05:22 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

LOL

Stu is righ Mike...

MOST owners of this car will NEVER take their car on track. Same as 99% of BMW drivers!!

So what the brakes are like on road is FAR more important.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:25 PM
AlexRS2782
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by rssteve
how much are tickets for the londow motor show i have had a look on there website but can't see prices?
Here you go try this link

http://www.britishmotorshow.co.uk/vi...ketinformation
Old 04-07-2008, 05:27 PM
rssteve

Originally Posted by AlexRS2782

cheers Mate, might go along to this.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

what can i say... i sold my focus rs today... I aint bothering with the new one I shall be mostly buying a csl m3 instead lol
Old 04-07-2008, 05:35 PM
rssteve

Originally Posted by Kev.H
what can i say... i sold my focus rs today... I aint bothering with the new one I shall be mostly buying a csl m3 instead lol
kev do you mind saying what it sold for? Did it sell quickly? I know yours was mint how many miles?
Old 04-07-2008, 05:42 PM
pee vee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

actually,. now the better pics have been released.. from the front that green thing looks
fookin mean... hope it turns out like that!
Old 04-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by rssteve
kev do you mind saying what it sold for? Did it sell quickly? I know yours was mint how many miles?
you have pm
Old 04-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Mr Orange

3 pages and im still waiting on DanW from fast ford to answer my questions that i put up on page one

Ill open them up to everyone else in the interest of seeing waht people can come up with
Old 04-07-2008, 06:41 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Orange
3 pages and im still waiting on DanW from fast ford to answer my questions that i put up on page one
I read it as a rant, not as a question.

I presume you're talking about rivals... well any performance car which retails for around Ł25K would be a good place to start.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Wayne Ash
PassionFord Regular

it may not be to everyones taste but i like it and nearer to the launch date i will sell the 500 to get one.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:01 PM
pa_sjo
Colossal Pervert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mmmmm I want one of these. I have promised myself never to buy a brand new car again though
Old 04-07-2008, 07:27 PM
RS500

Cool

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
My thoughts exactly!
The fwd techology has much been improved and it will be lighter than awd
Old 04-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by RS500
The fwd techology has much been improved and it will be lighter than awd
in perfect weather conditions thats fine..... origional frs is awesome in the dry amazing fun in the wet..... pooper lol
Old 04-07-2008, 07:44 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kev.H
in perfect weather conditions thats fine..... origional frs is awesome in the dry amazing fun in the wet..... pooper lol

only needs to be good in the dry though? unless you like to go racing about in the wet?
Old 04-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Not at all Mike. The grand was new factory discs and pads for a near 100K mile car prior to teh ring trip. Seems sensible to me.

And whilst the discs did suffer a slight warp on the ring, thats little to do with the calipers and they fixed themselves totally the day after i came back, which is typical of that style of discs. (Steel disk pinned and fused to an alloy hub)

Why are you always looking for an argument?
I just have a good memory, so when someone who says that they would replace their own car with upgraded brakes at the drop of a hat if they could justify the expense (because they aren't really up to track use), then goes on to advocate the same standard brakes, I find it ironic .

Also, I think that it is wrong to suggest that a LOT of the people buying this car won't take it on track, as that is one of the first places that the majority of current RS owners who buy one of these, will take it. The only ones that won't are those that will be first time buyers of an RS. RS owners are NOT the same as BMW owners .

Just look at how many current Focus RS's you see at track days or the Nurburgring .
Old 04-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Mr Orange

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
I read it as a rant, not as a question.

I presume you're talking about rivals... well any performance car which retails for around Ł25K would be a good place to start.
So cars retailing for around Ł25k then?

Audi, A3 3.2, S3, TT. several bmws, some mercs, Rx-8. 350Z. both base models of new evo and impreza's for a few examples.....

Note apart from the base model tt, Two things. no fwd and mostly quality image badges. Thats just new cars, second hand M3s can fall into that group as well.

I want to like it, it looks superb in the blue shade photoshop but i just feel that its a cop out of what could have been. maybe im proved wrong and its a superb handling car but atm im just not convinced
Old 04-07-2008, 08:25 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

I just have a good memory, so when someone who says that they would replace their own car with upgraded brakes at the drop of a hat if they could justify the expense (because they aren't really up to track use), then goes on to advocate the same standard brakes, I find it ironic .

Also, I think that it is wrong to suggest that a LOT of the people buying this car won't take it on track, as that is one of the first places that the majority of current RS owners who buy one of these, will take it. The only ones that won't are those that will be first time buyers of an RS. RS owners are NOT the same as BMW owners .

Just look at how many current Focus RS's you see at track days or the Nurburgring .
I cant even be bother to put much effort into an argument Mike. Wether you like it or not, single piston sliding calipers are great when working properly and are used by the MAJORITY of car manufacturers on their hot hatches. But i am open to teh possibility that you know more about brakes than VW/AUDI/BMW/NISSAN etc etc )

I would respectfully suggest you have probably only used tired old ford versions from the 90s which are admittedly pretty damn poor, and you should try some more modern systems using more modern materials. (Not the Ł3.99 power train brake pads you propbably had in the used 80s icon you remember being shite)

As for the M5, i did think some uprate stoppers would be good due to the sheer weight of the car. Then i went on standard ones and BMW proved me wrong too. They were fine. (That said, they are fooking enormous)

Outright track performance. yes, big rotors and big calipers with big pads rule. Mainly road car = Single sliders will be fine, maybe needing a better friction material.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:01 PM
CossieGirl
Miss Doubtsalot

Yes please

Old 04-07-2008, 09:15 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by Mr Orange
So cars retailing for around Ł25k then?

Audi, A3 3.2, S3, TT. several bmws, some mercs, Rx-8. 350Z. both base models of new evo and impreza's for a few examples.....
Well yes. If someone's got Ł25K burning a hole in their pocket then it would be considered alongside the cars you suggested. I see no reason why the RS wouldn't be capable of holding its own in that company. If I was looking at a new car for around that money I would consider it above at least 6 of the cars in your list.

You're more than entitled to consider it a 'cop out' but for me it certainly isn't.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:18 PM
GTechR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by CossieGirl
Yes please

Seconded
Old 04-07-2008, 09:40 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Your are kidding Mike...

Lets count how many RSs on track at Combe tomorrow and how many in a field nearby being looked at
Old 04-07-2008, 09:56 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

I think Mike just wants to bicker. Maybe he should go and have a wank
Old 04-07-2008, 10:58 PM
COCHYN
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chill out guys, this is going beyond typical banter.

At the end of the day, if the RS comes out anything like the green one above, I'd be quite impressed. But as for the black one with spunk like graphics as someone mentioned earlier I'm not going to be too chuffed.

There's just too much money going through Ford at the moment and not a lot of people thinking outside the box.

But I'm glad they're carrying on with the RS heritage
Old 04-07-2008, 11:20 PM
leecavturbo

Originally Posted by AlexF
Your are kidding Mike...

Lets count how many RSs on track at Combe tomorrow and how many in a field nearby being looked at
+1
not seen many anywhere
Old 04-07-2008, 11:27 PM
Dan16v

is that a peugeot badge in the front grillon the first photos?

and the white one......drooooooooool

Last edited by Dan16v; 04-07-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:14 AM
Munch
Mr. Sparkle!

looks the shizzle in white!

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL new RS Pictures