General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

OFFICIAL new RS Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:32 AM
rssteve
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dunccoss
I think the green will be a limit run on the first batch of cars to be ordered ( maxium 500 ) but will have to wait for fords to say, but not long now 18 days to go and will be there at the launch
do press get to go in early or something? on the website i can only get tickets from the 23rd?
Old 05-07-2008, 08:38 AM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by danneth
only needs to be good in the dry though? unless you like to go racing about in the wet?
i dont mean racing in the wet but the focus rs was trully shocking in the wet lol
Old 05-07-2008, 10:11 AM
cosmo V6
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jake-cos
Aren't the seats just the same as the fiesta ST leather ones retrimmed?

NO
Old 05-07-2008, 12:09 PM
AlexRS2782

Originally Posted by rssteve
do press get to go in early or something? on the website i can only get tickets from the 23rd?
Yes the exclusive press only day is Tuesday 22nd - general public access is technically Thursday 24th onwards, however there are limited advance tickets for the general public to get in on the VIP day on the 23rd

Last edited by AlexRS2782; 05-07-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:14 PM
AlexRS2782

Originally Posted by AlexF
Your are kidding Mike...

Lets count how many RSs on track at Combe tomorrow and how many in a field nearby being looked at
There are loads of FRS that get used on track - believe me i know as a large majority of the FRS owners on the RSOC have done a few trackdays with theirs over the last year or so - especially the large turnout at Donny earlier this year with an RSOC organised track day & the FRS owners also have their own dedicated track session at Ford Fair this year so look out for at least 20+ FRS on track then as well

Just because there may not be any on track at Combe does not mean people dont use them on the track
Old 05-07-2008, 04:33 PM
NathR
Advanced PassionFord User

I think the green one looks the absolute bollocks, fooking love it!! It will always be a shame Ford didn't go the 4x4 400BHP 'Evo competing' route BUT from owning a fairly potent example of the Mk1 FRS it doesn't really bother me that its FWD. Ok, so its never going to be able to be tuned to have the straight line pace of a 500BHP+ Escos/Evo though.

As for the brakes, I agree with Mike. It mentions all the other key components but doesn't mention anything about the calipers. I also agree that this is a let down. Not to say the setup they have in mind won't be good but imo it should at least come with Brembo 4 pots.

Also, regarding track work and RS owners, my Focus was used on track/the Ring within the first 6 months of ownership and over the last 2yrs it has ONLY come out to do a trackday or to drive to and from a trackday! lol Quite a few of the FRS boys 'play' at trackdays too doing parade laps etc. IMO it should be produced with this in mind given the growing popularity of track days, it has the diff, the seats, the power (sort of) and theres talk of it being available with the option for different tyres suited to track days, so it needs to have the brakes.

Time will tell, either way I'm now really excited about seeing it on the 23rd.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:40 PM
COCHYN
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by NathR
I think the green one looks the absolute bollocks, fooking love it!! It will always be a shame Ford didn't go the 4x4 400BHP 'Evo competing' route BUT from owning a fairly potent example of the Mk1 FRS it doesn't really bother me that its FWD. Ok, so its never going to be able to be tuned to have the straight line pace of a 500BHP+ Escos/Evo though.

As for the brakes, I agree with Mike. It mentions all the other key components but doesn't mention anything about the calipers. I also agree that this is a let down. Not to say the setup they have in mind won't be good but imo it should at least come with Brembo 4 pots.

Also, regarding track work and RS owners, my Focus was used on track/the Ring within the first 6 months of ownership and over the last 2yrs it has ONLY come out to do a trackday or to drive to and from a trackday! lol Quite a few of the FRS boys 'play' at trackdays too doing parade laps etc. IMO it should be produced with this in mind given the growing popularity of track days, it has the diff, the seats, the power (sort of) and theres talk of it being available with the option for different tyres suited to track days, so it needs to have the brakes.

Time will tell, either way I'm now really excited about seeing it on the 23rd.
Here here!
Old 07-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stu et al,
Say what you like, but only an idiot would disbelieve that the only reason performance cars come with sliding callipers is due to budget constraints . Perhaps YOU should remind Ferarri / Porsche / Mercedes etc that their Brembo callipers should be replaced with those oh-so efficient sliding callipers . You don't see many Mercedes on track days either, but they still think that sliding callipers aren't all that, to the extent that they are only used on their "budget" cars .

FYI 2wd Cosworths don't come with sliding callipers (as that is the only 80s "icon" I have ever owned ) . I've driven LOTS of modern performance cars with sliding callipers and have yet to drive one that I have felt the brakes were up to it. I agree they work more than adequately on normal cars, but even a Jag 3.0 S-type feels woefully underbraked.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:37 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
but even a Jag 3.0 S-type feels woefully underbraked.

aint they just got 300mm discs and mondeo calipers still though i thought

mike what stu is saying is that for MOST applications the car will be used at ( fast road ) then they will be fine,,,,,, anyone whos gonna use it for track will be changing the pads at a min ANYWAY,,,, most will change the brakes too if used alot ( would you not agree )

OF COURSE its a price thing,,,,, everything on the car is based on price and for being in the situation they are in NEED to worry about price as they have done ALOT of radical stuff the last 18 months to cut corners and reduce loosing money

im sure that cars these days with the difference in tyres and susepension and geometry ect ect ect that this will ALSO help benifit the brakes too

either way i aint bothered as it looks nice,,,, just not something i would wanna buy with my 25k ( plus options )
Old 07-07-2008, 09:10 AM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

my sliding calipers work fine