General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

HPi issues with private plate

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 10:27 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPi issues with private plate

Hi all

Help needed from those that are in the know!

I have a private plate that was once on a car that was written off. When I sold the car the car AFTER the written off one, the HPI record noted that the plate had been on a written off car. As such, I had a bit of a paniced call from the chap I sold the car to thinking the car was written off (it wasnt and he was reassured - this was years ago!)

Long story short, I would like to put the plate on the Porsche, but I dont want to risk any issues in the future selling of the porker. Soooo - in a nutshell, I would quite like to do an HP check on my old car (the M5) which I sold to a friend of mine to see how it reports my old plate. If there can be no confusion, then I can use it. If not, then I am fucked.

Thoughts people! (and sorry for the winding question)

JJ
Old 10-06-2008, 10:31 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

What year was the car written off & what year is the Porker?
Old 10-06-2008, 10:34 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Hi AJ

The car that was written off was a P reg 735i - was written off about four years ago. Since then , the plate was on a T plate 735i, then the M5.

I am hopeful that the confusion arose because the car written off, and the car after were both BMW 735i s.

That said - dont want any confusion over the sale of the porsche in the future! Porsche is a 2002 plate

JJ
Old 10-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can do this for you thursday if no one has had a chance to!
Old 10-06-2008, 10:37 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by maria
I can do this for you thursday if no one has had a chance to!

Thanks Maria - you are a legend! I will pm you the details for the car that I used to have.

JJ
Old 10-06-2008, 10:40 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Ahhh ok, I was just thinking that if the plate was on the written off car before the Porsche was built then there wouldn't really be any confusion but nothings ever straight forward lol.

I've bought a couple of cars & even have a private plate (one of a few lol) that was on a car when it was written off, the hpi clearly states that it's the plate that was on a car that was written off & not the car the plates on now (if that makes sense) lol
Old 10-06-2008, 10:42 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by A J
Ahhh ok, I was just thinking that if the plate was on the written off car before the Porsche was built then there wouldn't really be any confusion but nothings ever straight forward lol.

I've bought a couple of cars & even have a private plate (one of a few lol) that was on a car when it was written off, the hpi clearly states that it's the plate that was on a car that was written off & not the car the plates on now (if that makes sense) lol
Hi AJ

Yeah that does make sense - the thing that worries me is that there are probably proportionally fewer people that are in the market for a 911 turbo when I come to sell it. Given that, I am concerned that someone may misread the document, and then never bother to let me explain that it has nothing to do with the car.

The guy that misread the document on the earlier car was a trader! Whilst it was a similar car, you would have expected him to have understood that it was the plate and not the car. What chance does that give a punter!

Dont get me wrong - not planning to sell the car for several years, but need to make sure I dont make the wrong decision now!

JJ
Old 10-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

I can see where you're coming from mate, see how you get on with the Hpi & take it from there.

When you come to sell the car I'm sure you'll have taken the private plate off & have the original plate put back on so I would think that the Hpi report would only mention the plate change but not anything about the actual plate being recorded as it has nothing to do with the Porsche anymore so you should be ok but I stand to be corrected.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:52 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks AJ - I will post the results after Maria has kindly done her bit for me.

JJ
Old 10-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by JjCoDeX75
Thanks AJ - I will post the results after Maria has kindly done her bit for me.

JJ
Sweet, I'd be very interested to know the outcome of this bud
Old 11-06-2008, 02:06 AM
THE RADMAN
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i had a similar thing with my old one, when it was hpi'd it came up with a query about a previous plate being from a write off, it turned out that a plate i used to have on it came from a written off car, thing is the car was written off a couple of yrs before mine was even built! but they still listed it on the hpi report,it also put off a potential buyer as he thought something wasnt right,so he missed out on a great car due to duff/not applicable hpi info
Old 11-06-2008, 02:10 AM
THE RADMAN
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

thinking about it though,when you buy a p/plate [unless its a new one from the dvla] you have no idea if its come from a write off so you could be faced with the same problems again? unless you hpi your new reg mark
Old 11-06-2008, 04:10 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It is a bit of a concern, isnt it! The information is just not valid, and I dont understand how the HP company can rightly provide it! What difference can it possilby make?

Stupid gits!

JJ
Old 11-06-2008, 04:42 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all the vic checks we do on written off cars at vosa, have chassis number info from the database, so in theory, it should never be a problem to identify which car was,or wasnt written off...

Last edited by JTECH James; 11-06-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:39 PM
bamcossi
Regular Contributor

my family have a lot to do with total loss vehicles and my uncle sold a write off to his mate who then put a private plate on the said car then he did a second hpi check on the car on the new reg and it came back clear was it a one off or is this a problem that no one has picked up on .
Old 11-06-2008, 06:29 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by JTECHSAFF
all the vic checks we do on written off cars at vosa, have chassis number info from the database, so in theory, it should never be a problem to identify which car was,or wasnt written off...

I think the issue that I am concerned with is those that dont read the documents properly, and jump to the wrong conclusion. I reckon that this is a bit more of an issue than the actual problem, but it will still stop an idiot parting with his money!

JJ
Old 11-06-2008, 06:30 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by bamcossi
my family have a lot to do with total loss vehicles and my uncle sold a write off to his mate who then put a private plate on the said car then he did a second hpi check on the car on the new reg and it came back clear was it a one off or is this a problem that no one has picked up on .
That is wierd. Under the current regs, you are not permitted to put a plate on a car that is recorded as a write off. Sounds like the above happened by mistake.

JJ
Old 11-06-2008, 06:45 PM
bamcossi
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by JjCoDeX75
That is wierd. Under the current regs, you are not permitted to put a plate on a car that is recorded as a write off. Sounds like the above happened by mistake.

JJ
i repaired a cat d freelander was a 53 plate for a mate and he put his private reg on with no probs surely not 2 mistakes.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:49 PM
bamcossi
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by bamcossi
i repaired a cat d freelander was a 53 plate for a mate and he put his private reg on with no probs surely not 2 mistakes.
just done an hpi on my mates freelander on his new reg still comes up as being a total loss .
Old 11-06-2008, 08:06 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Sorry - misunderstood. If it is only Cat D, then it is repairable. If the car is consigned to the world of Scrap (say Cat a or b), then I understand that the plate cannot be recovered, nor can a new plate be transfered onto it.

JJ