General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Selling a car

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Shanny
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling a car

I'm selling a car and a potential buyer has been calling after the test drive to say that there are some issues with it. He claims that it has a rubbing noise on one of the back brakes, the back end vibrates at speed and a few more minor things. He's HPI'd it and nothing has been flagged. It's a 13 year old car but in good condition and has had shedloads spent on it over the years.
Now, if something were to fail or not to be to his liking after he buys it, I get the impression that he could be the type to call and complain or maybe try to go down a legal route.
What are the legal implications?
I'm of the opinion that you buy a second hand car and you take your chances. I'm going to add "Sold as seen and tested" on the receipt. From what I've read, this is ok but if it's going to be a hassle I'd rather keep the car.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shanny
Old 09-06-2008, 01:25 PM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sold as seen dosent always work.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Shanny

Thought so. That's why I'm asking. It's a 13 year old car with 140,000 miles on it. I can't say that it won't blow up in a month, can I?
Old 09-06-2008, 01:30 PM
RS SHORTIE
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I think you need to put "Sold as spares or repairs" or somthing along those lines to cover yourself.

"Sold as seen" means f*ck all these days
Old 09-06-2008, 01:31 PM
lardypants
Banned

private sale caveat emptor sold as seen

tell him if hes not happy with the car then dont buy it simple as that really,if he wants a mechanic to look at it say you havent got a problem with him arranging one

just say once its sold its a private sale sold as seen

howerver they can try have you on missrepresentation if you missdescribed it, ie more owners, diff miles, not hpi clear if you state it is etc etc
Old 09-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Originally Posted by Shanny
I'm selling a car and a potential buyer has been calling after the test drive to say that there are some issues with it. He claims that it has a rubbing noise on one of the back brakes, the back end vibrates at speed and a few more minor things. He's HPI'd it and nothing has been flagged. It's a 13 year old car but in good condition and has had shedloads spent on it over the years.
Now, if something were to fail or not to be to his liking after he buys it, I get the impression that he could be the type to call and complain or maybe try to go down a legal route.
What are the legal implications?
I'm of the opinion that you buy a second hand car and you take your chances. I'm going to add "Sold as seen and tested" on the receipt. From what I've read, this is ok but if it's going to be a hassle I'd rather keep the car.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shanny
If hes that picky about a 13 year old car then tell him to sod off! what is it a honda

mate unless your a trader theres not really any way legally your responsible one the car is sold. put sold as seen on recipt if you wish (make sure you have a copy each!)
as long as you have been honest in description theres no way it he can come back to you
(well unless ur handy with the welder and ur flogging a cut n shut)

its up to the buyer to check the car out properly and if so get professional opinion like an aa check!

Not even the DVLA take responsibility for roadworthyness of a car. The MOT is somewhat worthless, if u read the small print it says just because theres an MOT this does not mean the cars legal/safe.

dont worry too much, if the chaps that bothered tell him to go to a forecourt and pay dealer prices for a warranty.

Last edited by Lee Ivatt; 09-06-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:35 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Unless you've lied in the description of your car he has NO comeback against a private seller.

He's even less comeback if he's identified problems and still buys it.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Shanny

No, I haven't lied and I've tried to honest and I accept that there are faults that he pointed out. BUT, he's desperate to buy and and won't leave me alone so I'm going to take all that I can for it.
Thanks for all of the advice.

Shanny
Old 09-06-2008, 01:40 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Private seller, just needs to be road legal if he's driving it away.